It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My baby's getting neutered tomorrow

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

My baby's getting neutered tomorrow Empty
PostSubject: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 11:26 am

So after having to reschedule 3 times Kody is finally going in to get neutered tomorrow. I'm not liking this! My poor baby Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 11:56 am

It will be fine. but I understand why you are nervous. I decided to wait until Braiden is 18 months old and his due date is July 21st. I will be nervous for sure!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 12:48 pm

Aww, he'll be fine! Betcha he'll be acting like his normal, crazy self by tomorrow evening. You get to pick him up same day right?

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 12:49 pm

Good luck, Kody! Smile

You'll be fine, Melissa Smile Just be happy knowing that you're doing the right thing for him AND for all the huskies out there!

My baby's getting neutered tomorrow Hailey10
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 3:13 pm

Thanks guys. I know he'll be fine, but still i'm so nervous! I was the same when we got Mya spayed and she was just fine. She was sleeping from the minute she got home until the next morning though.

Val, yep, I drop him off in the morning and pick him up late afternoon. I'm thinking about working from home on Wednesday to keep an eye on him.

I'll keep you girls posted =)
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 3:16 pm

Sabaka's turn is next Monday!! Our vet will keep him overnight. Is it normal for them to come home that same day?

Keep us posted on how Kody is doing tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 3:19 pm

I'll never forget the day I picked Dakota up from his appt. He dragged the vet assitant out the hallway and barely paused for me to take his leash from her before he dragged me out the door!! It was kinda comical... I was afraid he wouldn't want to go back to the vet but I never did have any issues after wards. Willow acted like nothing happened with hers. I'm sure Kody will do just fine!

SabakaMom, both of mine stayed overnight as well.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 3:30 pm

he will do fine! and should recover faster they Mya, my dad never had our dogs fixed and all 3 died of some kind of cancer related to the non fixing, its just safer.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 3:45 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
Sabaka's turn is next Monday!! Our vet will keep him overnight. Is it normal for them to come home that same day?

Awww good luck to Sabaka! I don't know if it's normal, but Mya went home the same day so I'm guessing for my vet it is..lol.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 3:47 pm

jbealer wrote:
he will do fine! and should recover faster they Mya, my dad never had our dogs fixed and all 3 died of some kind of cancer related to the non fixing, its just safer.

That's exactly why I'm doing it...well plus the fact that he has figured out that he can hump Mya..LOL. She does NOT LIKE THAT!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 4:28 pm

Melissa, you are going to feel bad for him for one day while he milks how pathetic he looks, and the next day he is going to be driving you crazy again with his surge of energy and not quite understanding the "no jumping or running" orders from the doctor... boys get over it quick! Jarod was so worried about Koda he slept on the couch with him- next day Koda was a crazy nut again!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 4:59 pm

Good luck Kody (and Sabaka)!!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Kody should recover a lot faster than Mya since boys' neuters are so much less invasive than females. I personally would stay with them the day after if not longer to make sure they don't bother the site...otherwise who knows what he'll do all day. I know it's easy for me to say since I don't work and was able to be home with all my furbabies after their spays and neuter but even if I worked I'd either take the time off or do it on a Friday so I could watch them all weekend. I would get pain meds to take home and give them to him if he needs it, some vets don't like to give them but I always request that I be allowed to bring pain meds home just in case. I usually don't use all of them since I only give them the first few days if I think they need them. You have to use your own judgment since you know your dogs best.

Our boy was a just crazy when we picked him up after his neuter. Full of energy, pulling like a steam train on the lead, totally alert and happy to see us, and he even jumped into the back of our SUV when we opened up the door before hubby could pick him up. The next day he was doing zoomies in the house and using the back of the sofa as a spring board. LOL

SabakaMom wrote:

I think most vets prefer to keep them overnight after a spay or neuter. More so with spays since it's more invasive. Dakota's vet did not intend to keep him overnight after his neuter but after both Glory and Faith's spays their vet wanted to keep them overnight. Even for our guinea pigs, the vet wanted to keep Jasmine overnight after her surgery to remove a cyst and wanted to keep Rocky overnight after his neuter. I explained to the vet all the reasons I wanted to have them home the same day as their spay/surgery and they have all reluctantly agreed assuming that they are alert, eating and drinking before they were sent home. I am VERY hard headed about my pets coming home the same day so I've never lost that argument with any of the vets I've ever been to. Razz

There should not be any reason for Sabaka to have to stay overnight, I'm of the mind that he'll recover faster at home where he feels more calm and comfortable in his own home with his family rather than an unfamiliar cage with unfamiliar people. That's just me.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 10:32 am

Yep Val, I totally agree! I'm working from home today and tomorrow. Maybe Thursday, but I have a feeling that he'll be back to his normal self by then. I just got back from dropping him off and they said that he should be ready to be picked up by 4pm or so. My poor boy =(

One thing though. He DOES NOT know how to act at the vet. HOW EMARRASING!!! The waiting room isn't too big and he jumps and cries/whines/barks (LOUD) because he wants to play with the other dogs waiting. It takes all of me to hold him in place! I even had to walk him to the back room and put him in the cage because the girl wasn't able to take him of how crazy he is! Totally embarrasing Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 11:18 am

LOL Melissa! You should be used to that kind of behavior in the waiting area by now! I remember when I was researching the breed (long before I adopted Dakota) reading that if you're someone who is easily embarrassed the husky may not be the right breed for you. Boy did I discover how true that was on our first (and EVERY subsequent) vet visit we've ever been on! Laughing After the first year we had him it didn't bother me anymore, in fact it's because of his jumping and vocalizing and carrying on at the vet that he gets so much attention and sometimes they put us in a room faster to return the waiting area to a more peaceful state! lol! It no longer embarrasses me, I actually sit back and laugh about it whenever I have to take him to the vet.

You and Kody are in our thoughts today. I know I'm always a wreck when my furbabies are at the vet for anything. Are they going to call you or you call them after the neuter to give you an update on how it went and how he's doing? Keep us updated on his progress!

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 11:35 am

Sabaka has had to go to the vet every month for the last couple of month to get his Frontline and Interceptor since his weight is changing so rapidly. Yesterday there were no animals in the waiting room when he went in for his weigh-in but he started jumping on the vet tech who came to get him. She did what I would expect a person who was used to crazy puppies and their freak-out owners who are trying to teach them manners would do... she stood with her hands behind her back, presumably waiting until he sat like a good boy. Well, SHOCK, he did sit when asked and waited to be acknowledged! Believe it or not, the vet tech did not pet him or even speak to him. It was very strange... She just took his leash from me and walked away. Where do they find these people?

Hope you get a call soon that all is well with Kody!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 2:44 pm

Oh my goodness Val, but Mya has never acted like that. She might not want to sit, but she wouldn't be whining/crying/howling LOUD. Add jumping like crazy, hair everywhere, and people that have never really seen a husky into the mix and it's NOT FUN. Mind you he's doing this before we even walk in the door...LOL! The time i took him in to get his nose checked out I had to wait outside of how bad it was! There was this one lady that got me mad today though. Hispanic lady, at 60 years of age. She tells the guy sitting next to her "These Alaskan dogs are no good for anything...just for running" (in spanish of course). As in that wasn't enough...a few minutes later she's like "thank god that my dogs are well behaved". I was close to telling her something, but then they called me and I had to fight my way in with Kody. Some people I tell you!!!

Does Dakota still go crazy at the vet?
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 2:45 pm

Oh, oh, and I'm like lady what the heck is an Alaskan dog? He's a Sibe..lol
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 2:52 pm

Yes, he still is a crazy dog at the vets...well, everywhere really (not just at the vet)! Wink

That lady might have thought Kody was an Alaskan husky, a lot of people don't know the difference unless they've done a little research. I hate it when people talk or make comments about me in Spanish when they think I I don't understand them. I may not speak Spanish but I did take Spanish for 4 years in school and I've been around my hubby's Cuban family long enough to figure out what people are saying. I play dumb and just ignore people though, they're not even worth getting upset over.

Any update on Kody yet? I should think he'd be done and recovering by now, no?

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 3:00 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Oh, oh, and I'm like lady what the heck is an Alaskan dog? He's a Sibe..lol

Wow what timing: https://www.itsahuskything.com/t2110-breed-question#28785

Hope kody is doing good!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Val, ughh, some people I tell you! She knew I spoke Spanish too because I was talking to the guy next to me who was telling me how cute Kody was. She could care less. Like I wasn't even in the room! I picked him up at 4pm and he's ok. Down, but ok. I think Mya is more down than him because he doesn't want to play..LOL!

Brian, haha...TOO FUNNY!!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:06 pm

Here he is. Went in his crate all by himself. Poor baby.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:30 pm

Ahhh poor Mya! she looks so sad, Koka looks still drugged! maybe she will cheer up soon, when Koda gets more active, then she will be like HE WILL NOT LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:50 pm

lol Kody looks so out of it! Good luck keeping him down for 10 days. After day 3 there was nothing stopping Cheyenne or Mishka from playing. I was going crazy!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 8:15 pm

Yep, good luck with keeping him from running, jumping and playing. Our Dakota was not having that at all either despite how hard I tried to keep him from doing all those things. lol

Poor baby boy Kody, he does still look out of it. I'm surprised you said he was hungry though. None of mine wanted to eat the same day after their spays and neuter. I'm glad to see that he's home and doing well!

PostSubject: Re: My baby's getting neutered tomorrow   My baby's getting neutered tomorrow Empty

Back to top Go down

My baby's getting neutered tomorrow

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next