It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Breed Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Breed Question - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breed Question   Breed Question - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 3:04 am

i always get people asking if mine are malamute, maybe i'm just crazy, but i never even heard of malamutes until i got huskies, i always thought they were all huskies lmao
Back to top Go down
Piper
Puppy
Puppy
Piper

PostSubject: Re: Breed Question   Breed Question - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Karen, Alaskan huskies do exist and they are basically a mutt for all intents and purposes. However the "Alaskan Sled dogs" you mentioned does not exist, in fact I'd like to know where you heard that one as I've never even heard that one myself. Could you be thinking of the Alaskan Klee Kai perhaps? Alaskan Klee Kais are a fairly new breed (since the 80's) and are recognized by some kennel clubs but not yet recognized by the AKC. AKK's came about from breeding huskies with smaller nordic breeds such as the Schipperke and American Eskimo dog to create a breed that bears the look of a Siberian husky but in a smaller package if you will. The AKK should not be confused with the unrecognized "Miniature" Siberian husky (which really does not exist although some dwarfed huskies are bred and sold as such), AKK's may resemble a small husky but they are quite different in temperament and all that jazz. Alaskan huskies are huskies crossed with other breeds to achieve the perfect dog for pulling sleds fast, think the sprinting version of a sled dog. Siberians were bred to pull light loads over long distances, basically sibes are built for endurance, not speed. Mals are the work horses and can do the heavy pulling for heavy loads. Alaskan huskies are bred for speed which is why pitting a team of Alaskan huskies against an all Siberian husky team in a sprint race will almost always result in the Alaskan husky team winning. But if you pit an all Alaskan husky team against an all Siberian husky team in an endurance race you will generally see the Siberian team win.

While they do exist and are recognized as husky mixes they are not officially recognized by any kennel clubs. You could mate a sibe with a greyhound and the result would qualify as an Alaskan husky, and there are so many possible combinations. So technically they are not recognized by kennel clubs but they are recognized enough to qualify their existence in my opinion.

Brian, your response of "...there is no such breed as an Alaskan husky. The term refers to a generic mix breed of sled dog" would be correct. They are not an officially recognized breed but they are recognized enough (especially in Alaska) that I would not expect the term to ever disappear. Most of the dogs in the Iditarod are Alaskan huskies and the owners and breeders will call them as such.
Excellent post!

The usual reaction I get when some one sees me with one of my Alaskans is "What....is that?". lol After I explain that its an Alaskan Husky, mixed with either Greyhound or pointer (depending on which dog I have with me) they usually get it (although some still walk away with a weird look on their face).
I have gotten the oh-so-common "Is it part wolf?" question about Cougar. Although she does appear "wolfy" she doesn't have a lick of wolf in her. lol

ETA: I think because of movies like Snow Dogs and 8 Below people have this image in their head of what a Siberian Husky or sled dog should look like. So, when they see a dog that differs from that image, they have a hard time believing it's purebred.
Back to top Go down
http://www.smallmightyracing.weebly.com
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Breed Question   Breed Question - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 2:50 pm

i got american husky the other day.... Suspect
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Breed Question   Breed Question - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Breed Question   Breed Question - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 2:56 pm

snrose wrote:
Jennet&Embry wrote:

lol!

Red, White and Blue eyed!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Breed Question   Breed Question - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 2:58 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Breed Question   Breed Question - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 3:06 pm

I always get "what kind of Husky is that?"

I met a couple at the dog park a long time ago who had a shaved Husky, I said "oh he's cute, why did you shave him though?" She said: "He's an alaskan Husky. He sheds much worse than yours." (and yes, she put the emphasis on Alaskan lol) I said No I think he's a Siberian and she literally got angry and said "We bought him from Alaska, I think I know what kind of dog he is!"

Ohhhhkaaayyyy!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Breed Question   Breed Question - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 3:16 pm

arooroomom wrote:
"We bought him from Alaska, I think I know what kind of dog he is!"

lol! lol! Jay Leno on the streets worthy!!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Breed Question   Breed Question - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 3:55 pm

arooroomom wrote:
I met a couple at the dog park a long time ago who had a shaved Husky, I said "oh he's cute, why did you shave him though?" She said: "He's an alaskan Husky. He sheds much worse than yours." (and yes, she put the emphasis on Alaskan lol) I said No I think he's a Siberian and she literally got angry and said "We bought him from Alaska, I think I know what kind of dog he is!"

Ohhhhkaaayyyy!

BAH HA ha ha ha!!! lol!

Puppy
Puppy
Piper

PostSubject: Re: Breed Question   Breed Question - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Quote :
I always get "what kind of Husky is that?"

Ohhhhkaaayyyy!
lol! Oh man, I would have had a hard time not laughing!
Back to top Go down
http://www.smallmightyracing.weebly.com
Legend_of_Faolan
Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Breed Question   Breed Question - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 8:11 pm

Right now I often get "Is that a white German shepherd?"

I think its because he hasn't fluffed out yet. Plus German shepherds are a lot more common around here than huskies.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Breed Question   Breed Question - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 9:08 pm

My friend thought white huskies were albinos! Breed Question - Page 2 1625187496
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Breed Question   Breed Question - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 9:11 pm

I had to go to school after hours to pick up my son from a field trip today. So Hyper, Hyper Spazzo went along. On the sidewalk, all the kids were petting him and commenting (as everyone does) on which distant relative, neightbor or friend of theirs has a husky. Cute kids... Then a teacher, "That's really not a SIBERIAN husky is it?" Me, "Yes he is." Her, "There's just something wrong. He doesn't look like a Siberian Husky should look."

...What?! Could it be the blue eyes, the common white face, the eye mask, the pointy ears, the fluffy, curled tailed, the crazy, hyper behavior...that is throwing you???
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Breed Question   Breed Question - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 9:23 pm

I got asked if Willow was part husky....I'm wondering if some people believe huskies are only black and white. I only see black and white huskies in my area, is it the same for you Lisa?
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Breed Question   Breed Question - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 9:33 pm

LOL Lisa Poor Sabaka isn't a real Siberian oh nope nope nope! hahaha

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Breed Question   Breed Question - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 9:46 pm

[quote="hypers987"]
arooroomom wrote:
"We bought him from Alaska, I think I know what kind of dog he is!"

So would that mean if I buy a Husky in Mississippi its a Missypissy Husky?
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Breed Question   Breed Question - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 9:52 pm

26nikita wrote:
I got asked if Willow was part husky....I'm wondering if some people believe huskies are only black and white. I only see black and white huskies in my area, is it the same for you Lisa?

I'm not sure. I really don't see many huskies in this area. Since we've had Sabaka and been frequenting pet shops, we've seen only one black and white (who ended up in our puppy school, BTW Very Happy ) in a pet store for sale. There are a bunch of solid whites that are breed at a BYB close to us, but I never see any of them out and about. There's really no breeders close to us - BYB's or otherwise.

I think I saw a little black and white puppy out for a walk on the way home tonight, though!! It was hard to tell for sure and not wreck. pale
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breed Question   Breed Question - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Breed Question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2