It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Doggy Diapers - First experience with a heat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

Doggy Diapers - First experience with a heat Empty
PostSubject: Doggy Diapers - First experience with a heat   Doggy Diapers - First experience with a heat EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 4:49 pm

When the vet told is Isis was going into heat, the only advice he really gave was to buy Doggy Diapers. We got them (of course the "fashion pattern" ones), and surprisingly, Isis hasn't tried to tear them off, or even paid attention to them.

The question I've run into though, is how often should I be changing them?

She doesn't wear them while on a walk, or in her crate, but she's got about 4 hours of time loose in the evenings between her afternoon and her night time walk, where she's wearing one.

For the holiday, we were at my parents house and she didn't have her crate, so she was loose all day. We changed the diaper once, but that evening she seemed to spend a long time licking herself, and acted like it might be sore. I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing now, so she doesn't end up with sore spots from them, rather than trying to fix things later. Any help would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Doggy Diapers - First experience with a heat   Doggy Diapers - First experience with a heat EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 4:58 pm

I've never had a female in heat so I can't say for sure. One on my teacher in college (a veterinarian) would only put them on when she was bleeding. I don't know how often he would change them though. Are you using the washable cloth ones or the disposable ones?
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Doggy Diapers - First experience with a heat   Doggy Diapers - First experience with a heat EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Are you using disposable liners? That would allow you to change the liners more frequently to keep her cleaner and more comfortable. How often you change it will depend on how quickly it's filling up. Every dog is different and will have varying amounts of blood, just like with people. There's no exact number of times to change it, you'll have to use your judgment. If she's bothered at the current rate that you're changing it then obviously you'll probably want to do it more frequently.

My mother in law used human Always maxi pads to line her dog's diapers and that worked wonderfully for her. The pads were cheap and easy to get and she didn't have to wash the diapers too often.

Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Doggy Diapers - First experience with a heat   Doggy Diapers - First experience with a heat EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 5:38 pm

I am using disposable diapers. We are only using them when she's bleeding.

She only started a few days ago, so, I can't say for sure that it is bothering her. On sunday (the night she seemed like she might be bothered), she also had mediums, and we have since switched to large, because they seem to fit better.

Right now we're keeping her in one for about 4 hours, and then giving her a new one the next day. After this heat, we will have her spayed, so I don't know that buying washable diapers will be cost effective, but if they are better for another reason, I'm all ears.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Doggy Diapers - First experience with a heat   Doggy Diapers - First experience with a heat EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 6:38 pm

I have the washable ones, but I use a liner in them. I change the liner about every day when the flow is heavy and less often when they are just about done with their heat. I don't think there is any advantage of getting washable ones if you are planing of spaying her. They do the same thing. But if you don't have many left, then you can just put liners in them and reuse them. BTW, I have no clue if how often I change out the liners is the correct way or not, but I pretty much change them out when they are messy.

Doggy Diapers - First experience with a heat Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doggy Diapers - First experience with a heat   Doggy Diapers - First experience with a heat Empty

Back to top Go down

Doggy Diapers - First experience with a heat

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1