It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

stuffing a kong

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

stuffing a kong - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 7:40 pm

Adam,
Shadow may be to young or he could just not like it. S&J HATE rubber toys, have never touched the kong, or kong knockoff or any other toy like the kong, i have washed them to try and get the smell off but no luck, thought about putting it in the dishwasher but was not sure i could.
thats all the help i am, just wanted you to know some dogs/huskies don't like the kong.

Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

Male Join date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 7:47 pm

well he will sit there lick it and move on I kind of feel that he just doesnt grasp it yet. I have a couple rubber toys that he loves, maybe he is just a little too young.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 4:30 am

Adam, time will tell with Shadow. My sibe however has never cared much for Kongs, he's never really been a fan of rubber toys in general. He'll work on a Kong briefly, but has never really been interested or put much effort into them...actually none of my dogs care for Kongs. I have two Kongs that pretty much just take up space and collect dust.

Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

Male Join date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 2:18 pm

Valerie, what sort of stuff do you use since your sibe doesnt really like it?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 3:44 pm

I give my sibe stuff like bully sticks, deer hooves, or Zukes dental bones. He's no longer destructive like he was in the early years, so I don't really need anything long lasting to keep him occupied.

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 4:03 pm

There are rubber toys that smell like rubber and then there are those that are rubber of some sort but do not have a "rubbery" smell. Orka makes rubber that does not smell. Sabaka likes the blue rubber Orka jack. He does not chew it, though, it is a very interactive toy. He also has a JW Holey Roller ball that does have a little rubbery smell, but he still plays with it (again, very interactive). Sabaka does not chew on any rubber. His Kong is just a "container" to hold treats and stuffing, he would never chew it.

He chews antlers, bully sticks or pig hide twists...
Back to top Go down
vtomlinson
Newborn
Newborn
vtomlinson

Female Join date : 2012-03-23

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 9:30 am

jbealer wrote:
Adam,
Shadow may be to young or he could just not like it. S&J HATE rubber toys, have never touched the kong, or kong knockoff or any other toy like the kong, i have washed them to try and get the smell off but no luck, thought about putting it in the dishwasher but was not sure i could.
thats all the help i am, just wanted you to know some dogs/huskies don't like the kong.

I put mine in the dishwasher. They get a little tacky from the heat, but once they cool off they're back to normal.
Back to top Go down
Treesa
Newborn
Newborn
Treesa

Female Join date : 2012-07-15

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 11:04 am

What a godsend Kong's are to Puppy Parent's !!!

Sasha is 11-weeks and she LOVES it !! With this heat, I've been stuffing hers with frozen watermelon ! It keeps her busy in her room (her crate) for a while ! I work from home, so I need something to entertain her when I cannot give her my full attention, or else she bites at my chair and my feet !

Back to top Go down
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

Female Join date : 2012-07-01

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 6:10 pm

I bought a Kong along with a Kong Stuff'n and it came with a free "ziggie". I put some of the spread inside, stuck the ziggie in and put some spread on the outside. What a fail. She just sniffed the spread and didn't bother licking. I took the ziggie out and she still wouldn't eat it. This is one of the pickiest dogs I've ever owned. IMO, she is so damn skinny but she doesn't want to eat. I fed her chicken quarters and she doesn't even make an attempt to try and eat it until I cut the quarters into very small pieces. I'm going to try some of the frozen recipes on here, maybe she will like that.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 6:40 pm

I would suggest to kind of try things unfrozen first. Once they know what they can get, they'll be willing to wait for it. If you just try freezing everything, they may not want to go for it since they don't know how delicious it can be or maybe they just won't like it and that freezing time has gone to waste.

For mine, I started with apple slices (not a full apple, just one or two slices) and also with peanut butter. Voila! Now I make the Kongs with applesauce and Wilderness Kibble (he's on a raw diet so I have some leftover from his kibble-days), and cap the ends with PB and freeze it!

Keep us posted! Smile
Back to top Go down
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 4:17 am

I tried out my Kong again and she loved it! I put honey and some of her favorite salmon treats and froze it. I gave it to her before I left to my indoor soccer game and when I came back the Kong was licked clean!
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 10:48 am

That's awesome! It's always great when a us owners figure out things like that - no two Huskies are ever the same!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:24 pm

Here is a short video shot from my iPhone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbOLAaqSR4c
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:38 pm

LOL - She is too cute! She looks so much like Stark with the tan/light red base and the black stripe! How old is your husky?
Back to top Go down
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 8:23 pm

UndarthAngipoo wrote:
LOL - She is too cute! She looks so much like Stark with the tan/light red base and the black stripe! How old is your husky?

When I rescued her about a month ago, the animal shelter told me 1 year. Some people from the dog park I frequent have told me that they think she is younger than a year.
Back to top Go down
Gilly
Puppy
Puppy
Gilly

Male Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 8:25 pm

hhmmm i should think about freezing Khuno's kong... he goes through it too quickly when I just put things in it.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Whee Queen of Digging Up Old Threads~
So initially I just stuffed Callie's Kongs with the ziggy things but her attention span didn't keep up with the work it required to get the treat out.

Then I tried peanut butter and some of her kibble. Worked, but she never really cleaned it out and it was a pain to handclean. I did toss it in the dishwasher but that didn't get everything.

The past few days she's been getting one with frozen applesauce. Completely plain, no sugar added, all that good stuff. I plug the end with a little bit of kibble though i admit this doesn't work well. I place the Kong in a bowl and put it in the freezer overnight. It does freeze semi-solidly. Not frozen like ice, but moreso than a slushie.

So tonight we were walking through the grocery store and I thought, why not try baby food? There's only a handful of variations that have harmful ingredients, which still leaves a pretty wide variety. So that's a lot of flavor options with half the work and mess. Just tried freezing her first one so I'll post tomorrow how that goes. But just like with babies, expect some colorful poopies if you give carrots or greenbeans or the lovely pears & blueberries mix.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Pre-made baby foods will get expensive after a while, especially if you are using meats. If you have a blender or food processor you can puree your own mix to your desired consistency and save yourself a lot of money. I'm doing that for my daughter with our Bullet, way cheaper and fresher than the store bought baby foods.

Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 9:59 pm

I hadn't even thought of that. Yeah I just grabbed a couple of the stage 3 ones and with her still being in a puppy Kong, it only takes about half the jar to fill it. I'll most likely be getting a blender when I'm apartment furnishing so I'll try tossing some things in there and see how she likes it!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 3:23 pm

Just wanted to share what i've been doing since it's hard to meet Rodeos specific food requirements without worrying about him getting someone elses Kong...

Usually I take about 3 cups of his kibble (which fills 2 normal size Kongs, 2 "Mike Genius" Kongs, and a "Leo Genius" Kong) and place it in a mixing bowl. Pour in enough HOT water to cover it to the top and then mix in a few tablespoons of wet food (I use Great Life- Salmon) for the smell. I cover that with saran wrap and let it soak either in the fridge or on the counter if we're going out. Takes about an hour for the water to all absorb. Sometimes i'll mix in some other things if I have them handy.

After it's all absorbed it's very easy to squish into the kongs but since all the water is absorbed there's none of that messy run off at the openings of the Kongs (which annoys me to no end) and it's easily frozen (since there's water absorbed in the kibble/wet mixture.) I can throw them all right into the freezer and not worry about it dripping all over the place and it's nothing horribly rich since it's just regular dog food with some wet mixed in for flavor and smell. Takes my dogs about an hour to knock them out.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

stuffing a kong

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Nutrition and Feeding-