It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

stuffing a kong

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
loona
Newborn
Newborn
loona

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 4:36 pm

hello everyone !
so i bought my dog a kong and i dont know how to to properly fill it because i push her little food inside and she gets it out so easy , with just a push ... how to really stuck it inside ?
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 4:41 pm

Per the suggestion of some other members on the forum, I mixed some pumpkin pie filling with plain yogurt, filled the kong with that mixture, capped the ends with a little peanut butter, and threw it in the freezer for a little while. It has worked like a charm with Ghost and will keep her occupied for an hour or so. Good luck!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

stuffing a kong 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 4:52 pm

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ________
. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`\
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 4:53 pm

lmao heather

i use dog food, and yogurt and freeze it, lasts way longer.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 5:02 pm

lol! Heather!

I use the pumpkin & yogurt mix also and freeze it.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 5:03 pm

I also freeze plain yogurt, plain canned pumpkin and peanut butter (or any combination of the 3!) and, here's the best part that I have been dying to share with you all,...

USE A GRAPEFRUIT SPOON TO EASILY STUFF IT IN THE END!! A grapefruit spoon is almost trowel shaped and the pointy end gets the stuffing right in there!! I love it!!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 5:07 pm

SabakaMom wrote:

USE A GRAPEFRUIT SPOON TO EASILY STUFF IT IN THE END!! A grapefruit spoon is almost trowel shaped and the pointy end gets the stuffing right in there!! I love it!!

Thanks for the suggestion! I will have to try that the next time I make kongs.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

stuffing a kong 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
loona
Newborn
Newborn
loona

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 5:23 pm

ok thanks guys ! i didnt know i must freeze it ... how long should it be in the freezer and how hard should it be ? and which yogurt ? the one with the fruit ? thanks for answers . but i dont quite understand that response heather !
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 5:27 pm

Plain yogurt... no sugar, no flavors.

Also plain pumkin... no sugar, no spices.

Also the plainest peanut butter available (sometimes harder to find)... low sugar, low sodium (salt), natural (if available).
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 5:58 pm

I just use peanut butter and I don't freeze it, but I think I'll try one with frozen pumpkin. Good idea.

Freeze it until it is hard. It will slowly melt giving the dog hours of fun.

stuffing a kong Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 7:34 pm

I've nuked peanut butter then blended it with plain yogurt. Stuff and freeze. Stormy loves it. Just a tiny bit of peanut butter will flavor it.
Back to top Go down
loona
Newborn
Newborn
loona

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 4:30 pm

thanks ! i freezed it today and shes having funn with it but she had dihharea and i dont know is it from yogurt maybe ...
Back to top Go down

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 4:33 pm

Yogurt is a digestive aid and typically settles with with their stomachs. If you gave peanut butter, that's a likely culprit.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 4:36 pm

loona wrote:
thanks ! i freezed it today and shes having funn with it but she had dihharea and i dont know is it from yogurt maybe ...

it could be the yogurt, what brand/ kind did you use? mine love the fage greek yogurt. http://www.fageusa.com/products/fage-total-0-percent/#
costco sells a big container of it cheap

Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 4:44 pm

Yogurt (any kind) gives Kale the runs. I just avoid it. I freeze pumpkin and put a few homemade treats in his Kong, especially during the holidays Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 4:50 pm

Koda's favorite is apple sauce and pumpkin frozen with berries I love you
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 5:01 pm

If Loona isn't used to yogurt, natural peanut butter, or pumpkin, it can cause diarreha if you fill her kong full and she ate it all. Pumpkin, in larger quantities, will cause diarreha even though smaller quantities will help firm up stool.

I use a butter knife to fill my kongs.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 5:33 pm

I break up treats to smaller kibble size bits ( she loves sweet treats, obviously sugar free!) and mix them up with peanut butter, pumpkin and sugar free doggy ice cream. It's her favorite treat (we make homemade ice cream for her)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 6:06 pm

Heatherlee wrote:

Mmmm! that sounds delicious! Perfect time for fresh berries too since they are all falling off the vines! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
wintershuman
Newborn
Newborn
wintershuman

Male Join date : 2011-09-09

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 6:27 pm

I gave Winter his first frozen Kong about an hour ago. Ahhh, what bliss for both of us. He's been a very active and determined counter surfer today, and I have a migraine. Oy. Anyway, I filled the Kong with greek yogurt and kibble. He's totally and completely loving it. I'm filing away the ways you all fill your Kongs for future reference!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pinemeadowpond.com
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 8:06 pm

hypers987 wrote:
Heatherlee wrote:

Mmmm! that sounds delicious! Perfect time for fresh berries too since they are all falling off the vines! Very Happy

That does sound awesome!! I have enough of the yogurt/pumpkin mix to fill their Kongs one more time and then I'm totally trying this! I think might just try it myself...it sounds yummy...LOL!!!
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 10:48 pm

MelissaI wrote:
hypers987 wrote:
Heatherlee wrote:

That does sound awesome!! I have enough of the yogurt/pumpkin mix to fill their Kongs one more time and then I'm totally trying this! I think might just try it myself...it sounds yummy...LOL!!!

Luka loves this combo! I love this time of year because I can stock up on pumpkin! Last winter I had a hard time finding canned pumpkin without the extra spices.
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Female Join date : 2011-10-02

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 1:15 pm

I love this thread! I was just thinking of googling what other husky owners stuff their kongs with. I've been giving Sky broken up Milk-Bones and a spoonful of peanut butter in hers, but I think the peanut butter may be giving her a stomach upset. I'm going to try the yogurt and pumpkin combo and see what she thinks!

It sounds like some of you are DIYers, too, so you might be interested in this recipe from Crockpot 365 to make yogurt in your crockpot for much cheaper than buying the tubs. I have been wanting to try it, but I wasn't sure we could get through that much yogurt before it went bad. Now I think I will!

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 3:34 pm

Last week I ran out of yogurt, so I tried Heather's pumkin, apple sauce, blue berry combo. It is great! Sabaka loves it.

I also occasionally buy canned dog food and stuff and freeze that.

I also need to remember to stock up on pumpkin over the holidays! One of our pet shops sell it packaged especially for dogs... but, man, have they elevated the price!!

Miranda, Milkbones would probably cause Sabaka to have an upset stomach since I think he does not tolerate wheat products very well. It may be those and not the peanut butter causing Sky problems. Wheat, corn and soy are some of the most common food allergens in dogs.
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Female Join date : 2011-10-02

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 4:15 pm

Thanks, Lisa. I'll experiment with it. I had completely cut treats out for a while after the vet had me switch her from Blue Buffalo to Wellness dry food via a bland diet. I've been slowly reintroducing them. I wonder if they were the problem all along!

Have any of you tried stuffing your kongs with tuna and sticky rice? I read about that on another Husky website, but I have been putting off trying it until I get Sky's stomach settled.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

stuffing a kong Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong Empty

Back to top Go down

stuffing a kong

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next