It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

stuffing a kong

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

stuffing a kong - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 4:18 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
Last week I ran out of yogurt, so I tried Heather's pumkin, apple sauce, blue berry combo. It is great! Sabaka loves it.

Funny, I did the same! Total hit with them!!! Thanks Heather! Smile Actually, I made a second batch yesterday, but need to go stuff their kongs right now.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 11:49 pm

pixipanda wrote:
Thanks, Lisa. I'll experiment with it. I had completely cut treats out for a while after the vet had me switch her from Blue Buffalo to Wellness dry food via a bland diet. I've been slowly reintroducing them. I wonder if they were the problem all along!

Have any of you tried stuffing your kongs with tuna and sticky rice? I read about that on another Husky website, but I have been putting off trying it until I get Sky's stomach settled.

If you are feeding Wellness dry food, Wellness also makes a doggie biscuit called Wellbars. They are wheat-free and soy-free. I think some of the flavors may contain some oatmeal, so they are not all grain-free. But you might be able to substitute them for the Milkbones so that Sky will have a yummy treat every now and then. Wink

I have not tried stuffing a Kong with tuna and rice...

Some dogs have problems with all grains, including rice. Sabaka's food has some whole grain rice in it, so he would probably do fine with that combination.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 2:29 pm

pixipanda wrote:
Have any of you tried stuffing your kongs with tuna and sticky rice? I read about that on another Husky website, but I have been putting off trying it until I get Sky's stomach settled.

I'd see nothing wrong with tuna and rice if your dog tolerates them. I wouldn't do tuna too frequently due to mercury build up and possibly the oils causing stomach upset, though ultimately it's up to you. Rice is one of those things that a good number of sibes are sensitive to as well, but if you know your sibe tolerates rice then it should be fine.

Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Female Join date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 9:47 pm

She seemed to do well on it when the vet had me put her on a bland diet for a week (chicken and white rice). Hm, I didn't even think about the mercury angle. I was just thinking about how huskies were bred to eat more seafood than your average dog (or so I've read).

Anyone try sweet potato? I notice that's in a lot of premium dog foods. Smile
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 11:37 pm

I just steamed some sweet potato yesterday and gave it to them as treats yesterday and today - they love it! I plug the end of their kongs with the organic chicken "sausage" treats from trader joe's. It's the perfect size. I'll also put some soaked kibble in there.

Off topic - Petsmart has these awesome sweet potato "fries" - dried sweet potato (check to make sure they're made in the USA, not China.). They'll go nuts for it and it takes them a while to chew. I supervise them with the dried ones, though.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Sweet potato is excellent but keep it mind it'll give lots of sugar, as with anything I'd use it in moderation. Wink There are lots of great sweet potato treats out there for purchase. And I would rather see sweet potato in foods than potato, rice, and other grains.

You are correct Miranda, a fish based diet is more natural for the sibe since it's what they would have eaten in the breeds original habitat, etc. However one also has to keep in mind that mercury was not so much an issue in the breed's beginnings either. Fish based diets are great for sibes, don't get me wrong. Just be mindful of the source of the fish and how much they're getting, etc. Even small amounts of mercury eaten regularly over long periods of time can build up. I'm not saying that to scare anyone or discourage the use of fish or fish based foods, just saying it's one of those foods that you might pay more attention to when feeding, that's all. Wink And I've always found it ironic that my sibe cannot tolerate any fish in any form whatsoever considering his breed's origins.

Puppy
Puppy
HuskyLuvver

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 3:07 pm

I finally tried this and boy did Amber love it. I prepped it last night with a pumpkin and yogurt mix. I put the mixture into a sandwhich bag then cut a corner to make a homemade pastry bag to squeeze it into the kong. I then wrapped it in tinfoil and threw it into the freezer. 2 hours of her working at it followed by passing out in her crate.
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Female Join date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 11:43 am

Oo, I love your pastry bag idea!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 1:32 pm

pixipanda wrote:
Oo, I love your pastry bag idea!

Thats a great idea!! psh! I would have never thought of that! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 10:04 pm

Hey, how long do you guys think it would be safe to leave a kong stuffed with yogurt and pumpkin in the freezer? I just found one way in the back of ours that is probably from late July or early August. Is it still good or should I just get rid of it?

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

stuffing a kong - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 10:18 pm

I would love to know that also! The longest that I've left a stuffed Kong (yogurt & pumpkin) is about 2 weeks maybe scratch
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 7:56 am

blueeyedghost wrote:
Hey, how long do you guys think it would be safe to leave a kong stuffed with yogurt and pumpkin in the freezer? I just found one way in the back of ours that is probably from late July or early August. Is it still good or should I just get rid of it?

As to going bad I don't think you need to worry about that. Freezer burn maybe but its more a eye appeal thing then which I don't think Ghost would much give a hoot either way.
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 6:30 am

Maybe Luka's just a weird one but he seems to love ice! So I just fill his kong with water, freeze it and he'll go at it for a good while! When the ice is a thick clump like that it takes a long time to melt, he goes crazy for it!

Would a kong full of frozen water be bad for his health in any way?
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 am

I put some plain square cheese and kinda stuck it to the sides of the kong and then broke bigger pieces of and made it into a ball, so he couldn't get it out easily. worked pretty good for my guy Smile
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 12:45 pm

I fill Ava and Snickers' kongs with some canned food, then stick a bully stick down in it and pop it in the freezer. Perfect popsicle!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 1:38 pm

I've been filling their kongs with pumpkin, layering with little pieces of soft treats - and freezing them. If I have it, I'll also layer in some of the liver Kong stuffing(just a bit for seasoning!). They looooove it!
Back to top Go down
chaseandcaitlyn
Newborn
Newborn
chaseandcaitlyn

Female Join date : 2011-12-30

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 3:55 pm

These all sound like great ideas! Akira has such a sensitive tummy, though. So, I'm wondering, what do you all think would be the best mixture to start her with? She's had a little bit of peanut butter (in fact I put a dab of it in her Kong this morning) but not enough that I would even know if she's sensitive to it. She's never had yogurt, applesauce, pumpkin, or berries, though.
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

Female Join date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 9:58 pm

Just stuffed my first kong! Applesauce, small treats, and peanut butter to cap the ends. It's in the freezer now and I am so anxious to see if they like it!
Back to top Go down
AdamK
Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

Male Join date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 10:04 pm

hmm applesauce? didnt think of that one. let us know how it turns out! Cool
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 3:58 am

AdamK wrote:

lol, does applesauce freeze? scratch
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 8:54 am

MyKeeonah wrote:
AdamK wrote:

lol, does applesauce freeze? scratch

Are you wondering if it stays liquid or if it gets nasty?

People into canning and freezing homemade goodies often make applesauce and freeze it rather than can it. So I'm sure it gets solid and stays yummy!

Back to top Go down
vtomlinson
Newborn
Newborn
vtomlinson

Female Join date : 2012-03-23

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 10:15 am

I bought some of those plastic squirt bottles, like you put mayo, ketchup and mustard in, and fill them once a week with unsweetened applesauce, yogurt and pumpkin. It just takes two minutes to squirt a little of each into of the kongs and plug it with peanut butter then freeze them over night. So much lest time consuming with the bottles!
Back to top Go down
AdamK
Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 7:26 pm

I cant get Shadow to try his kong tried peanut butter, pumpkin, his zukes treats?? not grabbing his attention??!! i will show it to him he will lick it twice and thats it. Ive left it in his cage at night and he doesnt touch it! Any suggestions guys!?
Back to top Go down
AdamK
Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Might I add he is a little over 8 weeks. A little young or no? Havent tried his kibble yet maybe thats next. I find it hard to believe that he has no interest in it!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 7:38 pm

Kale didnt show interest in kongs and such till he hit 3 1/2-4 months. Rolling Eyes which i why crate training him was a battle, and i technically never really did lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stuffing a kong   stuffing a kong - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

stuffing a kong

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next