It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Might foster a young sibe

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Might foster a young sibe Empty
PostSubject: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 11:29 pm

My mom's friend who lives nearby happened across a 6 to 9 month old sibe. She was driving and saw him running loose with a lady following him. The lady had apparently been trying to catch him for the past three days with no luck. She had left out food for him, but couldn't seem to catch him. She wasn't the owner, but thought she might want to keep him. She has no fenced in yard and has a beagle who she lets run the neighborhood. Sounds like an excellent sibe owner, right?!

Anyway, it took my mom's friend a whole 5 minutes to catch the husky. She brought it to my mom who called me to come see him. He's a pretty black and white with mostly brown eyes (one has a little bit of blue in it). He had no collar, no microchip, and has not been reported missing to any of the surrounding animal shelters (we even called some in the next county).

I took him home for a little bit. He's very nervous, but really likes people. He did show some aggression to our girls, so I took him back to my parent's for the time being (my mom has a kennel to keep rescues in at their house). So after Thanksgiving we're going to take him to the shelter (the one where my mom is really good friends with the lady who runs it) and leave him there for the 7 days or however long the "stray" time takes, then if his owners don't claim him (which I highly doubt they will), he'll get all his shots, dewormed, and neutered and we'll take him back. Steve and I are going to try and work with his dog aggression and timidness. Hopefully we can get him acting like a good ol' husky and find him a good home!

I'm not sure if he acted aggressive to Siku and Elara cause he's just freaked out right now, but I really don't think he's been socialized at all. It's a real shame when a breed who's supposed to be so good with people and dogs acts like this. If his owners do try to claim him, I'm going to get their info and try to educate them about proper husky care.

Sorry I don't have pictures right now. I'll try to take a few tomorrow. Oh and I'll have to take a picture of his bite. He has a terrible underbite and his tongue sticks out when he closes his mouth. It's kind of cute though. We named him Cole.

Might foster a young sibe Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 12:31 am

Aw! Poor thing! I'm sure he was freaked out as heck- Odin was such an ass when he came home in the beginning. Hope it all goes well Smile

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 5:13 am

poor thing Sad hope you guys can get him socialized and on the right track Smile
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 1:31 pm

My mom called me this morning and he seems to be doing a lot better. He was out with her dogs and wanted to play! That sounds like a good sibe to me!

Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 1:36 am

Some pics of Cole:

Might foster a young sibe 302466_2630876338745_1460461201_2826347_531316720_n

Might foster a young sibe 391860_2630879138815_1460461201_2826349_59821587_n

He has a little bit of blue in his one eye.
Might foster a young sibe 375408_2630881378871_1460461201_2826350_471233767_n

Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 1:47 am

Oh, he's cute!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 1:51 am

Jennet&Embry wrote:
Oh, he's cute!

Ditto!
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 1:57 am

awww. I love the little blue in his eye. He is so cute. Good luck with him.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 2:04 am

Mindy, I'll see how he is with my cats and ship him off to you. Okay?! lol.

He's definitely acting like a normal sibe now. He unlatched his kennel and got out with the other dogs. I think we're going to take him to the shelter on Monday. Sad But after the stray time is up, we'll get him back vaccinated and neutered! Then I think he'll stay at our house and we'll start the hunt for someone to adopt him. He is a little sweetheart (a crazy, bounce off the wall sweetheart that is).

Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 2:43 am

What a little cutie pie! Good luck with adopting him out, I'm sure it won't be hard! Smile
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 3:14 am

Super cute! And young, wow!

Good luck Cole!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 11:52 am

SaraB wrote:
Mindy, I'll see how he is with my cats and ship him off to you. Okay?! lol.

He's definitely acting like a normal sibe now. He unlatched his kennel and got out with the other dogs. I think we're going to take him to the shelter on Monday. Sad But after the stray time is up, we'll get him back vaccinated and neutered! Then I think he'll stay at our house and we'll start the hunt for someone to adopt him. He is a little sweetheart (a crazy, bounce off the wall sweetheart that is).

I'll take him! Smile
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 2:33 pm

<fanning the flames> Wink Pet Airways flies to Chicago from Florida twice a week! Wink It's about $300-400 to fly for up to 1500 miles (Fort Lauderdale to Chicago). bounce
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 2:36 pm

LOL! Sam, you crack me up!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 2:51 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
<fanning the flames> Wink Pet Airways flies to Chicago from Florida twice a week! Wink It's about $300-400 to fly for up to 1500 miles (Fort Lauderdale to Chicago). bounce

If that doesn't work out, I could *probably* be talked into helping transport once I feel a little better Razz

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Might foster a young sibe 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 7:11 pm

Oh goodness! Well let me see how he is with cats first and make sure his owners don't reclaim him at the shelter. They do have that program where people fly pets for rescue for free. Could look into that.

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 7:34 pm

If it works out and is something Mindy really wants to pursue, I can definitely work something out. Aside from starting physical therapy when I get over this little infection, I'm not doing anything concrete until mid January.

We haven't worked out the details yet, but we are also planning a road trip up to Cleveland and then over to Chicago right around Christmas. If she does go for this dog, I'm not sure if Mindy would want to wait that long but it's something to think about.

Sara, I'm at the butt end of the panhandle, but I could potentially meet you halfway or something, like right around the I-10/I-75 interchange. I know this is dependent on what Mindy wants to do, but I just wanted to toss out that I'm willing to help. I know how frustrated she is with the shenanigans in IL.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Might foster a young sibe 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 7:40 pm

He's too cute!!!!!!! I want him!! lol! If he does well with kitties and Mindy hasn't found another baby to rescue I say go for it!!!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 7:52 pm

There are so many if's in this situation but my answer would be yes if it can all work out.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 11:44 pm

Sheesh. My mom's friend said her friend wants the husky and can pick it up tomorrow. We're thinking, whoa! Found out that they are moving across the country in two days! I can just see it now. In four days we find the original owner and they ask where their husy is. Ummm...In California! Plus their only dog experience is raising a lab as a seeing eye dog. My mom raised one of those too and said it was the most boring dog she ever had. Would do everything you asked it to do and never tried to find a way out of things. Kind of the oposite of a husky! lol.

Anyway, took some videos and have some more pics of him. Enjoy!
Might foster a young sibe CIMG2887

Might foster a young sibe CIMG2881

Might foster a young sibe CIMG2879

Might foster a young sibe CIMG2878

Might foster a young sibe CIMG2866

Might foster a young sibe CIMG2852

Might foster a young sibe CIMG2849

Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 11:49 pm

Click on the image to watch the video.

The loud bang is my mom's dog thinking it was unfair that we put him in the kennel.
Might foster a young sibe Th_CIMG2892

Cole does howl, but didn't want to for the camera.
Might foster a young sibe Th_CIMG2891

Might foster a young sibe Th_CIMG2890

Might foster a young sibe Th_CIMG2889

Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:20 am

SaraB wrote:
Sheesh. My mom's friend said her friend wants the husky and can pick it up tomorrow.

Dang, I get nixed again!

Great pics! He really is very handsome!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:25 am

No. Read on. We're not letting them take him. They a) haven't filled out an adoption application b) are moving! c) have no husky experience and he a) hasn't been to the shelter yet, so unless we keep him a whole month, we can't legally adopt him out and b) hasn't been cat tested to see if he can go to you! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:27 am

I know, I was just joking! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:29 am

Yay! Fingers crossed! He is SOOOO adorable! Frosti's asking if he's single... Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Might foster a young sibe   Might foster a young sibe Empty

Back to top Go down

Might foster a young sibe

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next