It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Adding to the family - A friend for Isis

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Adding to the family - A friend for Isis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adding to the family - A friend for Isis   Adding to the family - A friend for Isis - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 2:07 pm

WOOOOOHOOOOO hope the meet goes well!

Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the family - A friend for Isis   Adding to the family - A friend for Isis - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 8:29 pm

Is it bad that we're already thinking of names that work well for a red/white husky?

I just don't think "saint" quite fits a husky... lol.
Back to top Go down
StephieK
Newborn
Newborn
StephieK

Female Join date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the family - A friend for Isis   Adding to the family - A friend for Isis - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 2:01 pm

And here he is!
Adding to the family - A friend for Isis - Page 2 Imag1110

Adding to the family - A friend for Isis - Page 2 Imag1111

Isis has loved having a "brother" around to play with!

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the family - A friend for Isis   Adding to the family - A friend for Isis - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 2:38 pm

He's gorgeous!!! Congrats! What name did you finally decide on? Isis LOVES HIM!!! That's adorable!
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the family - A friend for Isis   Adding to the family - A friend for Isis - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 2:45 pm

We named him Dante.

Isis is the constant instigator so far. Last night, he tried to lay down a few times, and she got right back in his face.

So far, she seems to be losing during the "play," and we've had to separate them a couple times to make sure it didn't get too rough. This morning, he must have got her good, because she cried and then ran to her crate to hide.

We weren't sure what to do with that situation though, any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Female Join date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the family - A friend for Isis   Adding to the family - A friend for Isis - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 3:06 pm

He's a beautiful boy! I love his face (: And those legs! He's so tall. Have you measured him? Congrats on adopting him, he looks very happy and Isis too.

As far as her running from him, IMO they'll settle that just like they would if they fought over a bone or a toy. He'll learn that he plays too rough since he's a lot bigger and should tone it down so they can both play without getting hurt. It'll probably happen a few times when they get too excited. That's what Indy and Bailey do if one or the other gets hurt (Bailey, the smaller dog, is actually the aggressor in play. Indy just lets her play and jump all over him). They separate for a few minutes then are back at it but not as aggressive. Just check her to make sure she doesn't have any injuries and that her eyes are okay and I say let them go on their own way. (I've had two scares with Indy's eyes, I guess that he and Bailey were playing too hard and he hit his head causing shock to his eyes and one eye was dialated. I had to put him in a dark room to calm him and let his eye adjust back to normal. He was fine after about 10-15 minutes)
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the family - A friend for Isis   Adding to the family - A friend for Isis - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 3:17 pm

Isis actually whacked her head hard enough to dilate one eye and constrict the other for ~5 hours once, by herself.

I get the feeling that Isis is having some jealousy issues over having another dog in "her house," but that might just be me adding emotion that isn't there.

Dante is quite tall, but we haven't measured him yet. Right now, he needs to put on a few pounds, but he isn't eating because his gums are sore. The vet gave us some anti-biotics and want us to give him some chicken broth on his food, so we'll start that tonight. He was 54lbs when he came into the rescue, and is down to 51 now.
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the family - A friend for Isis   Adding to the family - A friend for Isis - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 3:27 pm

Indy and Bailey are always hitting walls, tables, floors, you name it. So it didn't surprise me when it happened but it definitely scared me before I could think rationally lol. If it happens to Isis again, try putting her in her crate with a blanket over it so it's almost pitch-black and keep her calm in there for about 15 minutes and see if that'll help. That's what I always do with Indy and so far it works.

It's probably a combination of both. I'm such a worry wart and so protective of Indy that I'd think the same thing. From the video Isis looks very lively and like she's having a lot of fun with Dante there. If she's jealous any at all, she'll adjust if you show her that she isn't being replaced and still give her some one-on-one time throughout the day.

Dante looked pretty lean, he's going to be a big boy once he fills out! What caused his gums to be sore?
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the family - A friend for Isis   Adding to the family - A friend for Isis - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 3:57 pm

Isis was playing happily for several hours, but then they both seemed to get tired, but neither would quit playing. We separated them and I was giving Isis belly rubs, but she kept fighting to get up and as soon as she did, she ran back to get in Dante's face.

The vet said he has gingivitis. It makes it tough because he won't eat any treats (they hurt him to chew), and even soft things take him forever to get down. We tried to give them each a capstar pill in cheese (since the meeting house had fleas), but he kept spitting his out and then going back after it. Of course, all the movement and the fact that it was cheese just attracted Isis even more, so we had to work hard to keep them separate for that. We ended up having to put his pills in peanut butter.

Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the family - A friend for Isis   Adding to the family - A friend for Isis - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 4:05 pm

Poor boy Crying or Very sad

One thing we did when I worked at a vet office was if they were pills we would grind them up and powder their food or mix it with water and give it to them in a syringe. If it's a capsule, it doesn't take much to break it open and do the same. Just some thought if they're both difficult with taking pills.
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the family - A friend for Isis   Adding to the family - A friend for Isis - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 4:38 pm

Isis isn't difficult at all. If anything, we worry about how fast she swallows all treats and/or pills. We might need to do that with Dante though, at least until his teeth feel better and he can chew.
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the family - A friend for Isis   Adding to the family - A friend for Isis - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 4:51 pm

Hope it helps! (:
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the family - A friend for Isis   Adding to the family - A friend for Isis - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 10:35 am

Last night the dogs played a little softer. Isis wasn't instigating as much as she had been, and there was more following and chasing than actual wrestling. Then, at the end of the night, we saw something that we almost never see Isis do, she laid down on the floor and just stayed there. They'd tired each other out so much that they both just passed out on the floor!
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the family - A friend for Isis   Adding to the family - A friend for Isis - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 4:59 pm

That's good! They're getting more familiar with each other. Haha enjoy those moments! Indy and Bailey tire each other out and Indy will lay down and pass out after about 2 hours. It's fairly peaceful for a few minutes lol.
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the family - A friend for Isis   Adding to the family - A friend for Isis - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 10:51 am

The dogs are still doing well, but as of yet, neither has fully taken dominance.

Before we brought Dante home, we removed all the toys from the house, to stop fights. Last night, I tried to introduce a toy to each of them (two identical toys). Dante, immediately went for the toy Isis got. When he had that one, he laid down with it to chew, but as soon as Isis got the other one, Dante ran over and tried to take that from her.

Dante was much more interested in stealing her toy, than actually chewing on his own. He has also started blocking Isis from coming into rooms at times. She seems afraid to go upstairs (not that there is really a reason for her to, since it's just a hallway with all the bedroom doors closed), while he has no problem walking up there to follow us. Occasionally, he'll also plant himself between us and her, so she won't approach.

I don't want to cause any fights by doing the wrong thing, but I also don't want Isis to be afraid of going anywhere in the house. We are making sure Isis gets attention, but her favorite games were fetch and tug, which both need toys.

Is there a better way to re-introduce toys? Is there behavior we should be watching for and stopping?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the family - A friend for Isis   Adding to the family - A friend for Isis - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Adding to the family - A friend for Isis

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2