It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What type of couch do you have?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Flhuskylover
Puppy
Puppy
Flhuskylover

What type of couch do you have? Empty
PostSubject: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 10:28 am

My boyfriend and I are researching couches since we are thinking of getting one before the year is up. We don't allow the dogs on the couches now but I want to get a couch that would be easy to clean or keep clean as well as durable. We're debating between getting a full leather couch, microsuede couch, or a combination of both where the bottom is leather and the cushions are microsuede.

I'm afraid that nails would scratch and ruin the leather but I'm not sure about having to clean microsuede.

What does everyone here have? Pros and cons of your couches? Thanks for helping me with making this decision!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 10:36 am

As much as I love leather couches, I wouldn't get one with dogs. My car has leather seats and their nails have scratched the crap out of it! Sad
One benefit from leather is that it's easy to clean.

I'm not sure what kind of material our couch is made of, it's some sort of suede I suppose, anyway it's lasted a REALLY long time!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 10:41 am

we have the microsuede with blankets on top of it to help with the dog hair. we just live with the dog hair..... but when we have people over i clean the blankets and use the pet attachment on the vacuum and i clean all the hair off of the cushions, it cleans up ok

Puppy
Puppy
Flhuskylover

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 10:42 am

Kelly, that's what I'm afraid of! The nail marks. Right now I'm leaning towards one of those with both leather on the bottom part and then microsuede on the part. How do you clean your couch or keep it clean?
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:05 am

Our couch is really durable! I just vacuum it like Jennifer said if it needs to be cleaned I just take warm water w/soap and scrub it w/a towel. It hasn't left any stains thankfully, then again we got a darker color, so it doesn't show much as it is.

If it's something serious that needs to be cleaned more thoroughly, I'll pull out the spot vac and mix warm water w/detergent and go over it a couple times. I'll even put the cushions outside and let them air dry (idk why but things always smell better when drying outside).
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:46 am

jbealer wrote:
we have the microsuede with blankets on top of it to help with the dog hair. we just live with the dog hair..... but when we have people over i clean the blankets and use the pet attachment on the vacuum and i clean all the hair off of the cushions, it cleans up ok

Exact same thing here!! We have a micro suede also and do the same thing
Back to top Go down
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 12:03 pm

Leather over here wave

It cleans up really easily and for the most part is very durable. I have yet to notice any scratches on both my couch and in my car <crosses fingers>

We rarely let Brewer up, but when we do we always have a blanket down.
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

Female Join date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 12:08 pm

I have a really expensive Leather couch and my River sleeps on it to keep cool, i dont have any nail marks but if they lick them selfs along with the couch it fades the leather Sad but its really easy to clean the hair off
Back to top Go down
shirl51
Puppy
Puppy
shirl51

Female Join date : 2011-09-08

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 12:13 pm

I have a leather couch also but I bought one of those couch covers from HSN that fits perfectly and protects it. Bob does not get on the couch too much and so far no sctratches at all.
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 12:56 pm

we have micro something. We keep sheets on it to keep the hair off I have enough hair to sweep up. I just throw the sheets in the washer.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 1:21 pm

I have a leather couch and love seat. nail marks everywhere, but I'd say 98% of them are from the cat..
Back to top Go down
4BangenRange
Puppy
Puppy
4BangenRange

Male Join date : 2011-10-09

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:23 pm

Leather here too. And Not one scratch on them from Josie. Even after watching her paw and scratch at it a few times not one scratch. Clean up so nice. Smile Got cloth or whatever in the basement. Boy does that thing ever collect the hair lol.
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:40 pm

a crappy one lol. We need a new one desperately but we're planning on moving this year so I will get a new one then.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:44 pm

This may be a dumb question but could the scratched leather couches be a differently quality of leather versus the non-scratched up leather couches? I have leather in my car and have had no issues with scratches and there were times I was sure there would be.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:47 pm

26nikita wrote:
This may be a dumb question but could the scratched leather couches be a differently quality of leather versus the non-scratched up leather couches? I have leather in my car and have had no issues with scratches and there were times I was sure there would be.

Idk my leather couch cost us roughly $1300 and the cat has done quite the damage
Back to top Go down
Nira Sky
Puppy
Puppy
Nira Sky

Male Join date : 2012-02-20

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:51 pm

We have a micro suede/ leather couch. Have had out cat for a while now and not long enough to see if Nira will cause any damage, cat hair easily vacuums off and even with her pawing at the leather sides, there are no noted scratches. Another plus is that micro suede and leather both clean fairly easy, depending on the quality you get. You want to make sure if you dont get leather to get stain resistant micro suede(most good quality ones are)
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Jennet, do your cats sharpen their claws on the couch or is it from the hind leg claws from jumping and running
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 9:13 pm

We have a nice leather sofa that over 10 years old. We do not allow dogs on the furniture (only on the beds) so it has held up incredibly well. There are no scratches or rips at all. Sabaka stuffs things under the sofa and I would think his nails would mess up the lower front and sides, but they still look great.

We have a gingham fabric sofa in the living room with a "husky nibble" ripped in one of the cushions!!! affraid I don't advocate fabric... and will not talk anymore about this except to say I paid dearly for a replacement cushion cover that I just got last week... 'nuf said...

We just bought a "leather" sectional off of Craigslist for the "man cave" in the basement. I really think it is that new "leather blend" which is kind of like the old "bonded leather". The manufacturer throws some leather scraps in a blender with some bonding agents and makes a pureed mess of leather product and then that is pressed out into "leatherette" or whatever it is called... Anyway, I think that might actually be what is on this sectional because it is only about 3 years old and came from a pet-free house but it has a few scratches.

Even if you were to get leather, like Jennet said, there are different grades and thicknesses of leather. Our nice leather couch was around $1200 (I think) over 10 years ago. I would vote for leather for sure!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 9:52 pm

paleobones wrote:
Jennet, do your cats sharpen their claws on the couch or is it from the hind leg claws from jumping and running

It just from jumping onto the couch
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:59 am

We just bought a durablend leather couch and loveseat. Neo does zoomies on it and jumps so hard on it it moves lol. It has a lifetime garuntee against tears and scratches. So far it has held up perfect. Paid 1600$ for both so it was well worth saving up for with the warranty.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 7:45 am

That sounds really nice Jill! Where did you purchase it from?
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 9:43 am

I got it at q furniture store here where I live. Its an Ashley durablend you could proboly look it up online. They had a leather suede couch that was nice too but it would have taken more work to take care of the fabric. And it didn't have near the pounds of pressure tear resistance that the durablend had.
Back to top Go down
Flhuskylover
Puppy
Puppy
Flhuskylover

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks for everyone's input! We purchased a leather couch set!!! We are keeping a sheet on the cushions, just in case they jump up, but the dogs are not allowed on the couch. They do sometimes jump on the bed though. Smile So hopefully my couch will last just as long as what Sabakasmom has! Thanks for the insight everyone!!
Back to top Go down
Jo
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Hi, I actually have that couch you are describing. We have a microsuede, with brown leather bottom on it. I love it, it is the most durable sofa I have ever owned. You vacum it and it looks brand new. I don't allow the dogs on my couch either, but sometimes they come up and goober it, and it just comes right off, no stains. I would honestly suggest that you get it scotch guarded, I believe this has helped us a lot, my Boxer peed all over it once, and you would never know she did this. I also took insurance out on it, and doggie insurance, just in case. LOL....

JO
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 7:05 pm

I'm getting hand-me-down leather couches in July. My career change put new couches on hold, but I can't wait for the ones we're getting! My best friend is moving and is getting new stuff and she takes AWESOME care of her furniture and not gonna lie... they are almost EXACTLY the couch we wanted. LOL.

What type of couch do you have? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What type of couch do you have?   What type of couch do you have? Empty

Back to top Go down

What type of couch do you have?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1