It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Part Wolf???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 2:08 pm

I looooove the last one!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 2:10 pm

If I had maggie before I got married (well for my ceromony I was already married), I would have done this!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 2:14 pm

http://www.laketahoewolfrescue.com/What-is-a-Wolfdog.html

more research Razz
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 4:27 pm

Huskyluv wrote:

Siberian huskies come in a variety of shapes and sizes when you consider how many different lines there are and especially considering how many are from BYB's. Even excellent, reputable breeders breed for different things in their lines/kennels and can have very differently structured and looks than other reputable kennels. Even the precaudal gland is present in some dogs so that is not something that should automatically indicate part wolf. Wink I think Cyrus looks pure husky.

I think the precaudal mark on the tail is common in some dog breeds and I'm curious that the vet thought it was a functioning gland not just a mark. But I agree with Val about breeders. I think some even breed for as wolf-y looking dogs as they can get.

Round here, wolfdogs are more common than you'd think (I see more of them at the dog park than huskies or malamutes). On the other hand, a lot of dogs that are sold as wolfdogs are really husky/malamute crosses bred to look like like a wolf.

If you're desperate to know for sure, there's always genetic testing. But it is very very common for people to mistake a regular husky or mal for a wolf. People are always walking up to me and asking if Ghost is an actual wolf. Like I'd walk down the street with a wolf!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 4:38 pm

Ghost wrote:
Huskyluv wrote:

Siberian huskies come in a variety of shapes and sizes when you consider how many different lines there are and especially considering how many are from BYB's. Even excellent, reputable breeders breed for different things in their lines/kennels and can have very differently structured and looks than other reputable kennels. Even the precaudal gland is present in some dogs so that is not something that should automatically indicate part wolf. Wink I think Cyrus looks pure husky.

I think the precaudal mark on the tail is common in some dog breeds and I'm curious that the vet thought it was a functioning gland not just a mark. But I agree with Val about breeders. I think some even breed for as wolf-y looking dogs as they can get.

Round here, wolfdogs are more common than you'd think (I see more of them at the dog park than huskies or malamutes). On the other hand, a lot of dogs that are sold as wolfdogs are really husky/malamute crosses bred to look like like a wolf.

If you're desperate to know for sure, there's always genetic testing. But it is very very common for people to mistake a regular husky or mal for a wolf. People are always walking up to me and asking if Ghost is an actual wolf. Like I'd walk down the street with a wolf!

I think a GSD mixed with a husky looks very wolf like to me! lol!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 4:39 pm

^ Are you talking about that dark spot on the middle of the tail? Cause Elara has that and a lot of show huskies (mainly the greys, silvers, and wolf greys) have it too.

wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 IMG_2712

wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 4:41 pm

That doesn't describe a wolf dog at all, what about all white wolf hybrids?

what I have posted earlier

How to tell the difference?

The difference between a wolf and a dog are vast depending on the breed of a dog. However, the Northern breeds such as Malamutes and Huskies that come somewhat close to the physical appearance of wolves can be differentiated by their looks, their mannerisms, the way they move to how they sound. A simple list of differences are noted as such:

Wolves and/or high content wolf-dogs run differently than dogs. They have a special gait about them.
Wolves and/or high content wolf-dogs are timid by nature.
Until a human is accepted by them, they prefer to keep their distance.
Wolves and/or high content wolf dogs have larger feet, longer legs than dogs and a large, broad skull than most dogs. Wolves and/or high content wolf-dogs have long, narrow muzzles.
The intelligence of a wolf is more often than not, vastly superior to dogs.
Wolves instincts are leaps and bounds greater than that of dogs and they can size-up situations and people much faster than dogs.
Wolves and/or high content wolf-dogs have straight tails.

Last edited by norbreedslove on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 4:43 pm

See this dog is a GSDXhusky

wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 Cheyenne%20TX%20better%20side%206-11_thumb275x175
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 4:53 pm

I am not trying to put anyone down. I love everyone of you. I just did my research, I really wanted to rescue one a while back.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Yeah, I agree, GSD/husky crosses can look very wolfy too.

Sara, yes that black mark is what I mean. In a wolf it functions as a scent gland but lots of dogs still have it as a mark.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 6:01 pm

norbreedslove wrote:

I'm thinking you're reading too fast. What are you referring to? My post about show huskies that are grey having that black spot?! Cause I was describing pure bred sibes, not wolfdogs. lol. That's a picture of my Elara. She's 100% sibe! I'd laugh at anyone thinking she's a wolf if they saw her in person. She's only like 20" tall!

wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 6:56 pm

SaraB wrote:
norbreedslove wrote:

I'm thinking you're reading too fast. What are you referring to? My post about show huskies that are grey having that black spot?! Cause I was describing pure bred sibes, not wolfdogs. lol. That's a picture of my Elara. She's 100% sibe! I'd laugh at anyone thinking she's a wolf if they saw her in person. She's only like 20" tall!

I guess I did I apologize, The black spot doesn't describe a wolf hybrid they would look at other aspects of the dog, as well as personality. I have seen show huskies with the black spot.

Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 7:01 pm

Your dog doesn't look like a wolf at all lol

Embrys breeder breeds wolf hyrbids, I'd love one in the future. I love how loyal and loving her girls are I love you

Tapanga and her most currently litter:
wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 429408_364495400241486_100000430877034_1241083_537195966_n
her puppy that I feel in love with but was already spoken for Sad
wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 294012_2095590121426_1595520224_31986912_1279428460_n
tapanga:
wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 71771_162761540414874_100000430877034_394280_1488149_n
wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 71856_162761470414881_100000430877034_394278_5800914_n
wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 66508_162761437081551_100000430877034_394277_1514819_n
takara, tapangas puppy
wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 73195_162760930414935_100000430877034_394266_6703469_n
wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 73032_162760980414930_100000430877034_394269_1785944_n
wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 5780_120558877526_601647526_3451071_8370388_n
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 7:03 pm

omg!! look at those wolfies!!! love them. Does your breeder have a website?
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 7:09 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
omg!! look at those wolfies!!! love them. Does your breeder have a website?

PMed you Smile
Back to top Go down
Axle, Aspen, & Raine
Newborn
Newborn
Axle, Aspen, & Raine

Female Join date : 2012-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 8:13 pm

beh46,
I don't think Cyrus looks like a wolf hybrid. Some people just don't do their research.

I have one full blooded siberian husky (my black and white one), one husky/shepherd cross (my huskies daughter), and my solid white girl is a diluted hybrid.

Here is Axle. He's full blooded and papered. He is my lead dog when I take them bikejoiring.
wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 Axle11

Here is Aspen. She is a diluted wolf hybrid. This girl is so attached to me and is extremely smart. She is the sweetest thing and is friendly (but cautious) towards everyone and other animals. She is top dog at the house and reminds my other girl dog all the time. She has her wolf tendensies that set her apart from the other two in a big way. Love her to death! Aspen is a mama's girl!
wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 Aspenw10

Here is Raine. She is Axle's daughter and her mom is my brother's white German Shepherd. She looks wolfie until you see her satellite dish ears!
wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 Raine10

And here is a picture of Aspen as a pup with my brother's white German Shepherd, Shelby, in the back. You can see the difference...
wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 Aspens10
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 9:04 pm

So Im watching bolt and Aspen and Raine looks like him! haha
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:08 pm

harrise wrote:
Ooh. doesn't look wolf to me, and I would make sure those words never make it to paper with the vet.

Right on with that remark.

Just tell people its a Tamaskan if you want to see them scratch their heads. scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Part Wolf???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2