It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Neighbor's loose dog

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Neighbor's loose dog Empty
PostSubject: Neighbor's loose dog   Neighbor's loose dog EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 2:20 pm

As I related here some months ago, Bodhi was attacked by a neighbor's dog when we were running.
Bodhi was leashed and the other dog wasn't.
I had the "on a leash or under voice control" conversation with her.
She agreed.

Sine then I've run into her twice and the dog was not on a leash.
And she couldn't control it.

Another time the dog was being boarded at another neighbor's house when they were on vacation.
Bodhi and I walked by, and the dog ran out and attacked Bodhi.

Today we met them on the road in the snow.
The dog wasn't leashed.
She got him under control with great difficulty, and said she was taking him home.
From her tone and body language, she acted like it was my fault!

Usually this happens when I am in running shoes.
I don't want to break a toe kicking the interloper off.
And I am beyond caring what this woman thinks.
I really like her and her kids,, but she has a blind spot in regard to her dog.

The most humane thing I think is getting some pepper spray.
I'm just going to blast away the next time.
What do you think?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Neighbor's loose dog   Neighbor's loose dog EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 2:22 pm

how about a friendly visit from animal control to their house?

then i would go for the spray at least there is a record of the loose issue on file if she were to come after you for vet bills from the spray....

freaking people blow my mind

Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Neighbor's loose dog   Neighbor's loose dog EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 2:29 pm

I agree with Jennifer. I'd call the AC first and then pepper spray away. I don't normally condone it, as we had a mail man that would pepper spray our dog constantly (he wasn't even in the gate yet and she was a 5 pound pom) this made her horribly aggressive, so normally I would stay stay away from the PS. But if this stupid lady isn't leashing her dog, I'd say spray it, AND the lady. (Just Kidding about the last part..sort of)
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Neighbor's loose dog   Neighbor's loose dog EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 2:41 pm

Agreed call AC every time as long as there is a record and something happens you can not be blamed. CYA
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Neighbor's loose dog   Neighbor's loose dog EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 2:44 pm

I agree call animal control so there is a formal complaint of the dog being off leash, not under control, and attacking other dogs. As well as her failure to do anything about it after the fact. Bring pepper spray and be prepared to spray. Just be careful as that stuff is not just nasty to what you spray it at but anyone near it. Makes it so hard to breathe.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Neighbor's loose dog   Neighbor's loose dog EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 7:14 pm

My brother is a mail carrier and he was advised to carry pepper spray. He carries Milk Bones instead! All of the "aggressive" dogs on his route love him now. So, yes, I think pepper spray is one of the reasons dogs hate people in UPS / Mail carrier uniforms. BUT, I think you with a leashed dog is different altogether. If the dog already shows aggression toward Bohdi, I say spray away!

I hate many of the loose dogs in my neighborhood, but few (if any) are aggressive. I just hate trying to maintain control of my dogs with loose dogs hoping all around... Grrrr...
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Neighbor's loose dog   Neighbor's loose dog EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Yes, treats make an alternative to pepper spray for many dogs. You could carry some in your pocket and if you have the misfortune to meet this woman and her dog again, shout 'treats' or 'cookies' and throw them at some distance from you. The dog will probably go to the treats and ignore you. Then of course give Bodhi a treat for walking away from it all!!

Good luck whichever approach you take. Most of the loose dogs here are friendly, but there are a few that live behind fences and growl, and it's scary when they escape.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Neighbor's loose dog   Neighbor's loose dog EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 11:52 pm

there is a similar dog here. I walk cali on a leash and a guy followed us and told me that i need to leave the yellow lab alone. The yellow lab isn't in a yard and from what i have been told isn't anyone's dog, or so the guy the lives across from it said. He was told it was the neighborhoods dog. I still walk my dog, I just carry my "great equalizer" .45 incase. Cali and I are perfectly legal and I am not going to take some bs from an idiot.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Neighbor's loose dog   Neighbor's loose dog EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 12:21 am

I wont even take my dogs to the park across the street bc the stray dogs chase us. We can't even bike ride without fearing of a dog attack. I HATE IT!
Back to top Go down
4BangenRange
Puppy
Puppy
4BangenRange

Male Join date : 2011-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Neighbor's loose dog   Neighbor's loose dog EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 12:44 am

Id say call the cops too. Thats what we did when the person that lives down the road when there 2 dogs came in our yard and attacked Josie for the 3rd time in 2 weeks. Got them fined for 2 tickets of dog at large, they got fined for not having them registered or having there shots and also had to pick up the 60 doller vet bill Josie got cause she got caught in her eye and it got infected. BUT!! guess who we seen running down the road today.... Yep one of the two dogs that attacked her. :/
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Neighbor's loose dog   Neighbor's loose dog EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 5:13 pm

Two street's over there is a loose female black/white Husky. I talked to a couple people on the street and they said the dog get's out on the regular and the people leave her out in the yard on a tether. She knocks people over on the sidewalk and get's really excited when she see's other dog's and people are afraid of her. The street is right off a really busy highway and I would hate to see the dog get hit by a car or possibly killed. I don't know which house she belongs to exactly, so I can't talk to her owners. Should I call animal control or should I try to catch her and put her in my back yard?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Neighbor's loose dog   Neighbor's loose dog EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 5:15 pm

depends on your AC and if they would put her down, does she have tags on? i would try the catching, contacting owners first if she is in fact friendly, i have done that with a few dogs and 1 husky in the past.

Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Neighbor's loose dog   Neighbor's loose dog EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 5:22 pm

jbealer wrote:
depends on your AC and if they would put her down, does she have tags on? i would try the catching, contacting owners first if she is in fact friendly, i have done that with a few dogs and 1 husky in the past.

I asked the people if she has tag's and they said no.

I'm not sure if animal control would do that or not. I've called in the past, but never heard anything from them after that. I think I'm going to ride over there in a few minutes to see where she is and if I can catch her.

The lady I spoke to said she think's the dog is 4-5 years old.
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Neighbor's loose dog   Neighbor's loose dog EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 6:30 pm

You appear to be following the rules and when it's your dog's well being against a stranger's dog who is clearly NOT following the rules and harming your dog. I'd say it's open season for you and that can of pepper spray, use enough to keep the dog at bay and go about your business :p

I've had a few close calls with neighborhood dogs. I love dogs but I will not stand for random attacks from dogs who their owners are irresponsible. Punch, Kick, Bite, Spray, Stab, Shoot all bets are off when a life is in the balance.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Neighbor's loose dog   Neighbor's loose dog EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 6:55 pm

I would call AC to so you have a complaint documented against her, and spray away. I have animal shield from PetSmart. It is a citronella spray that is basically the same as pepper spray, but less..nasty? It has worked for me, but I haven't ever been faced with a crazy aggressive dog, so I don't know how well it would hold up against a dog who means serious business.

Kelly, I would catch the dog and make signs that you have this dog in your possession and see if her owners come forward. Although in the same breath, if her owners are letting her run loose continuously, who's to say that they'd just leave her in your care.. Very sad situation all around.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Neighbor's loose dog   Neighbor's loose dog EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 7:00 pm

I drove over there and couldn't find the dog. My neighbor was out looking too with no success. Poor thing ... I hope she isn't hurt and is at least home. I'll start walking down that street and see if I can somehow find the owners.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Neighbor's loose dog   Neighbor's loose dog EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 7:21 pm

Kelly I hope the dog finds her home or someone who will take care of her.

I had a loose husky dog in our neighborhood I drove over and opened the car door she jump in I took to my vet to see if she was chipped she was but the information was out of date it showed the owner to be in Washington state huh I am in Oklahoma found it hard to believe she came that far.. any way I secured her and when to get something and saw a car driving around in the neighborhood very slow asked the lady if she was looking for a dog. Well to make a long story short she was her son had move back home from Washington with his husky and hadn't update chip information which also show a different owner.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Neighbor's loose dog   Neighbor's loose dog Empty

Back to top Go down

Neighbor's loose dog

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1