It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Moving with a husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

Female Join date : 2012-01-19

Moving with a husky - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving with a husky   Moving with a husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 3:53 pm

Tiff&Kya wrote:
There is NO registry for service animals. You don't have to provide a "register" for him. You do however, have to provide a written statement from your doctor saying that you "need" this service dog in order for them to not be able to turn you away.

You also DO have to pay a pet deposit if they require it, because even if the animal is a service animal, they can still do damages.

It IS illegal for them to turn you away if you have proof of need of the service dog.
thank you very much! I dont have a registy thourgh like a web site if thats what you mean? I went through animal control and they issued me a actual license for him for the state of california. they told me that should be enough proof but also to get a vest so i dont get harrassed by anyone
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Moving with a husky   Moving with a husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 3:58 pm

A license is a license. They usually do it by counties/cities not for the entire state and it just shows that your dog is registered within the state somewhere (I believe). Like, I have a license for Bella through Northampton County that shows she's registered here - so she lives here and is registered in PA.

There isn't a registry or an "official" venue or body that tracks the use of assistant/service dogs.

Moving with a husky - Page 2 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

PostSubject: Re: Moving with a husky   Moving with a husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 5:37 pm

he has is regular county license and to addition to that he has a assistance dog license ill have to take a picture of it and show it to you guys but i know theres not an official registry
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Moving with a husky   Moving with a husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 5:43 pm

That's fine you don't have to Smile. I'd never heard of anything like that but I am across the country so we might not have that so I was just letting you know.

In any case - I'd be wary of just using the license. There are quite a few places that will not allow access to a dog even if it truly is used for assistance/service. One that comes to mind was a walmart that wouldn't allow someone access with their assistance dog because they have a "no dogs allowed" sign posted and their argument was if they allowed just one dog than everyone would think they could just bring their dog willynilly claiming it's a service/assistant dog.

There was no legal action taken the person didn't want to push it. But just a heads up.

Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

PostSubject: Re: Moving with a husky   Moving with a husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 5:47 pm

I have never had any issues yet with his tag (knock on wood) but it must be completely different here in Cali. it seems that we do things way differently here...i know at are walmart they wouldnt attempt to tell a service dog not to enter i guess us californians are just to sue happy and they dont want to take the risk
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Moving with a husky   Moving with a husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 5:49 pm

cbhart wrote:
I have never had any issues yet with his tag (knock on wood) but it must be completely different here in Cali. it seems that we do things way differently here...i know at are walmart they wouldnt attempt to tell a service dog not to enter i guess us californians are just to sue happy and they dont want to take the risk

That's against the law no matter were you are. The ONLY business that can tell you that you dog has to leave is a resturant, and that is only because of sanitation and that a lot of dogs beg.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Moving with a husky   Moving with a husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 5:50 pm

I forget where it was - it wasn't in PA and it was no one I knew personally. I just know things like that can happen and it is always something to look out for.

Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

PostSubject: Re: Moving with a husky   Moving with a husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 5:52 pm

oh for sure! i hear about stuff like that all the time to
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Moving with a husky   Moving with a husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 5:59 pm

Tiff&Kya wrote:
cbhart wrote:

That's against the law no matter were you are. The ONLY business that can tell you that you dog has to leave is a resturant, and that is only because of sanitation and that a lot of dogs beg.

They CAN actually turn down admittance to the building/premises. In many places the ONLY proof they will accept is a signed doctors slip stating that the dog is deemed necessary for that individuals day to day activities to provide a normal (or as close to normal as possible) standard of living though sometimes even that isn't enough.

MANY places on the other hand will NEVER second guess someone bringing in their dog as a "service/assistant" dog. These are the dogs that are unruly, bark at everything, neurotic etc and they give all REAL service/assistant dogs bad names which is why the other places (though in the minority) will not allow any dogs unless you have the slip from the doctor.

People see others with their dogs in stores and figure if they can do it everyone else should be able to as well. It doesn't matter that those people have a legit reason for having the dog with them. That is human ignorance at its finest and like I said, it is these people that are giving the true working service/assistance dogs bad names.

Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Moving with a husky   Moving with a husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 6:01 pm

People are so entranced with Kya that I've never had an issue with any one saying she can't come in. lol. They all want to pet her and I have to tell them no. The only issue I have ever had is when I went to an outlet mall and I was trying on new shoes, some little kid FREAKED OUT, and the mom demanded I leave. She called the manager over and everything.

Luckily, the manager laughed at her, petted Kya and told her "She has a service dog. She has VERY right to be in here with her dog. If you don't like it, get out."
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Moving with a husky   Moving with a husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 6:02 pm

Niraya wrote:
Tiff&Kya wrote:
cbhart wrote:

They CAN actually turn down admittance to the building/premises. In many places the ONLY proof they will accept is a signed doctors slip stating that the dog is deemed necessary for that individuals day to day activities to provide a normal (or as close to normal as possible) standard of living though sometimes even that isn't enough.

MANY places on the other hand will NEVER second guess someone bringing in their dog as a "service/assistant" dog. These are the dogs that are unruly, bark at everything, neurotic etc and they give all REAL service/assistant dogs bad names which is why the other places (though in the minority) will not allow any dogs unless you have the slip from the doctor.

People see others with their dogs in stores and figure if they can do it everyone else should be able to as well. It doesn't matter that those people have a legit reason for having the dog with them. That is human ignorance at its finest and like I said, it is these people that are giving the true working service/assistance dogs bad names.

I'll have to read again then, because ADA "policy" I read said only restaurants can turn you away.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Moving with a husky   Moving with a husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 6:05 pm

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

maybe that would help. I read that you had to have medical documentation, but seems that now you don't have to have that either.
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

PostSubject: Re: Moving with a husky   Moving with a husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 6:09 pm

LOL i love it when people know the laws about service animals! I work at a car rental company and i have to allow them into the vehicles with out charge and thats per state law unless they damage it of course,
Tiffany its funny cuz everywhere i take River its the same thing OOOHHH hes sooo pretty can i pet him and completly ignore his vest Rolling Eyes but then thiers the other people that are like oooh i cant look at them or touch them its really funny to watch society when you have a service animal i just hope i really dont come into any issues when i look for a place to live
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

PostSubject: Re: Moving with a husky   Moving with a husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 6:19 pm

Tiff&Kya wrote:

maybe that would help. I read that you had to have medical documentation, but seems that now you don't have to have that either.
they didnt ask for my medical records for me to get Rivers tags. I have spinal bifida and scholiosis but i was diagnosed a long time ago so i wouldnt even know where to look for my records at any more
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Moving with a husky   Moving with a husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 6:23 pm

cbhart wrote:
Tiff&Kya wrote:

they didnt ask for my medical records for me to get Rivers tags. I have spinal bifida and scholiosis but i was diagnosed a long time ago so i wouldnt even know where to look for my records at any more

I have spina bifida, I am completely missing the last 5 vertebrae, and scoliosis as well. As well as a clubbed foot, CHF and bipolar disorder. She is my saving grace alot of time. I can walk, but I don't balance well, and on bad days, I take her with me and she leans against me to keep my balance. She also knows when I'm having a panic attack and will pull me away from whatever it is that triggered it.

She does a lot more, but those are the big things.
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

PostSubject: Re: Moving with a husky   Moving with a husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 7:00 pm

Im so glad you found her! they are truly amazing animals
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moving with a husky   Moving with a husky - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Moving with a husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2