It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Very timid rescue husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

Female Join date : 2012-04-04

Very timid rescue husky Empty
PostSubject: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptyThu May 24, 2012 8:23 pm

We rescued Bella (previously named Snow) on Sunday. She has already made some progress but I wanted some tips from people who have done this before. A little info on her: 2 1/1 years old, she was a breeder release. Never bred because she was shy and they didn't think she would do well with being a mother or she would pass it on to her pups (which worked well in her favor).

Had been at the rescue since January. When we got her from the rescue she was very dirty (when we washed off the dirt we then smelled the skunk), hadn't been brushed, and is very skinny. She would cower in the corner with her body squished up as small as possible (spine bowed up) and not make any eye contact at all. When you approached her she would either run or ball up like that.

I'm assuming since they couldn't breed her they basically just ignored her and didn't have much interaction with her at all.

Since Sunday we have made a little progress. She will let me approach her and most of the time she does not squish herself up she will lay or sit down and sometimes she will duck her head and sometimes she will just look normal but avert her eyes. When I am a few feet away she will make eye contact and sits normal and looks like she's smiling (her picture in her scrapbook).

During the night she will get up and will play with our male husky and will actually follow us around the house (we're talking 4am). Daytime is a different story. She likes to lay in the corner to the side of our wood stove in the living room or she will now lay in the kitchen where she can see me from the computer.

I have been working on her taking food from my hand to try and gain some trust. She had been taking it and then dropping it on the floor to eat when I walked away. Today I sat down on the floor beside her and fed her some french fries (healthy I know). I started by throwing one right in front of her. I then made them get closer and closer until she was up by me eating out of my hand. She was still on alert but did well I thought.

She really likes to watch me play with our male. I will sit in the floor by her and play with him and she just has the smile look on her face watching us. I am assuming this is a good thing to do because she sees that I am not hurting him and that we play etc. She looks like she wants to join us but she won't.

She hasn't been food aggressive but did act aggressive towards our male yesterday. He had a raw hide bone and she attacked him outside. I went out today and bought more so they can have their own. Right now she has hers in the kitchen and when our male walked by the kitchen she stopped chewing on it and has a very pissed off aggressive look towards him. (He has one too he just left it in the bedroom).

Like I said, any tips or ideas would be great. I just want to love on her!
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptyFri May 25, 2012 12:16 am

This is where we start when approached (sometimes the head is lower).
Very timid rescue husky Imag0415

After some "Hey sweet girl hey pretty girl" and kissy noises.
Very timid rescue husky Imag0416

Finally!
Very timid rescue husky Imag0417

Now if someone walks in the room or I move (like to get up or to pet her) she will go back to the first position or even lower her head more and avert her eyes.

Back to top Go down
ToccoasMom
Puppy
Puppy
ToccoasMom

Female Join date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptyFri May 25, 2012 9:18 am

She's beautiful! I'm sure some more experienced people will have lots of wisdom for you. But I wanted to let you know that she sounds just like our Toccoa, just older. We brought her home and had the same behaviors. It's taken us months of intense socialization and patience Smile Here are some of the things that worked for us.

Hand feeding - we alternated who in the family fed the puppy but it was all by hand. It took some time each day, but it worked.

Family Manners Class - It was a parent/dog class that worked on basic skills. The skills weren't important at all. Toccoa was scared of other dogs as well as ALL humans. This was a controlled environment to interact with others.

Friends and Family - everyone we knew came to the house...and ignored Toccoa. It was simply to get her to stop hiding or growling when a stranger arrived. Now, she comes over and sniffs visitors, huge progress to us!

We have two other girls too (both Golden Retreivers) and she responded well to them. She would play with them from almost day one. Our trainer recommended that we crate them (the goldens) more than normal for a week or two to force Toccoa to socialize with us. It worked well. Now, if I sit on the floor, it must be play time and she's in my lap first!

It's been three months since we brought her home and the changes are amazing. But most of her personality has just appeared in the last 2-3 weeks. It's been amazing to watch, just have patience. It will take some time to build her confidence but once you do, watch out Smile
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptyFri May 25, 2012 9:49 am

Sounds just like Drake. There's some good info in this thread if you look hard enough. https://www.itsahuskything.com/t3350-hopeful-new-husky-owner-from-central-florida

It's just going to take a lot of time and patience. Don't coddle her and let her think being stiff and scared is alright. It will be harder for her, since it sounds like she only got dog interactions as a puppy and no human interactions (just like Drake acted). It will take longer than Toccoas, because she is older and Toccoas was still going through her important puppy development stages.

Just be patient. Attach her to a leash on your belt and have her walk around the house with you. You don't have to pay any attention to her. Just ignore her, but give her treats every now and then. Try treats like cheese, deli meat, hotdogs, etc. Something that she just can't resist. Does she eat her kibble fine?

Good luck!

Very timid rescue husky Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptyFri May 25, 2012 4:31 pm

Wow she looks so much better than the pics of when you first brought her home...what a pretty lady Smile
I like Sara's leash idea, that would be a really good thing to try!
Back to top Go down
ToccoasMom
Puppy
Puppy
ToccoasMom

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptyFri May 25, 2012 5:28 pm

Oh, I forgot to add, we did the leash "tethering" with Toccoa too. We took her everywhere in the house with us, on leash. It worked really well. We still have to put her in her crate with the leash and we keep her on leash when vistors are here. Great idea!
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptyFri May 25, 2012 8:12 pm

My boyfriend tried a leash on her today and she flipped out. The dogs and I just had a cheeze it party in the kitchen floor lol. I got her where she was crawling on her belly to get one and finally got her standing up eating out of my hand. Success! She really watches my interaction with Chase and looks like she's smiling the whole time. A new thing we've noticed is she has a huge underbite. Poor thing! Taking it day by day. I'm glad I have the 3 day weekend to work with her! Thank you for that link I've been reading all day!
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptyFri May 25, 2012 11:05 pm

We just had another successful treat session. I sat on the floor near her again and fed her some string cheese and cheeze its. This time she got up on the second treat to take it from my hand instead of laying on the floor and taking it! YAY! I scooted closer and watched to see how she would react. I let her watch me brush Chase and then I brushed her some. She didn't act really scared, didn't try to move away, made some eye contact but would not eat the treats I put on the floor infront of her until after I was done brushing her. At least she let me do it and she didn't act too scared. I tried the under the chin petting instead of the top of the head petting and it went well. I also did the rub her from muzzle down to the middle of her shoulders and she responded well to it. Bad thing that happened is she did try to fight Chase when I squeaked a toy for them to play with. She is apparently very object aggressive and doesn't like to share. Food and treats she is ok though. Yay she just got up and drank some water and is walking around the kitchen and laundry room to explore! sunny
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptyFri May 25, 2012 11:06 pm

Oh my gosh! She now has the squeaky squirrel toy and is squeaking it herself! And now she has moved to the edge of the kitchen to see what I am doing on the computer. Progress! Sorry I'm a dork but I am SO excited to see the progress she has made the past 5 days. Even though it is teeny tiny things it means the world to me.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptyFri May 25, 2012 11:12 pm

I love hearing how well things are going! Keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
ToccoasMom
Puppy
Puppy
ToccoasMom

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptyFri May 25, 2012 11:21 pm

I'm glad things are going well!

I still get excited when Toccoa does the smallest things! Most think I'm crazy, but it's been awesome to watch!
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptySat May 26, 2012 11:36 am

How long have you had Toccoa?

This morning she let me sit on the floor near her and feed her string cheese. She then let me scoot closer to her and rub her under her chin, the side of her face, and down her head to her shoulders. She did not shy away, shake, or seem uncomfortable. She actually loved being scratched under her chin and was closing her eyes Smile Before she would shy away when I went to stand up from sitting on the floor and she's doing really good about not doing that now. She knows just because I'm standing up does not mean I'm going to do anything to her.

My boyfriend was watching me this morning and said "You're the only person that's going to be able to go near her." I was explaining to him what I was doing and was telling him NOT to make her look at you etc and let her do it on her own time. He noticed how when I sat down she perked up and was looking at me because she wanted to and not because I made her (he likes to walk up to her and pull her face up to make her look at him when he's talking - explaining this is wrong is like talking to a brick wall). I'm glad he got to see it this morning though because I think it helped him understand better what I'm doing and why I'm doing it.

She actually felt comfortable enough to fall asleep while I was sitting near her (something she's never done). She woke up when I got up but didn't move a muscle, just watched me, and is now fast asleep on the floor. She's so precious!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptySat May 26, 2012 12:06 pm

Awwww! That's awesome! That's a lot of improvement in a short time! Keep up the good work!

Very timid rescue husky Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
ToccoasMom
Puppy
Puppy
ToccoasMom

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptySat May 26, 2012 12:30 pm

We've had Toccoa at home now for just over 3 months. I was horrified the first few weeks because she wouldn't come near me, only Jeff. We also have two teenagers at home and she's just now in the last 2-3 weeks shown an interest in them. It can be really discouraging at some points. We "bribed" her with roast beef...to do everything! For the first few weeks, that was the only way we could get her out/into her crate. That's where the leashing helped but we had to wait to start that for about a month. Everything for us was baby steps. Now she seeks out human attention, plays with us, eats well, etc. Strangers are still an issue, but we're making progress every day! Hang in there...it's a long road but well worth it!!
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptySun May 27, 2012 10:12 am

She let me pet her! She loves to sneak in the bedroom around 4am and she went to my side of the bed where Chase was and I held out my hand and she sniffed it, licked it, and let me touch her! She then went out and in the door without me walking away! Then Chase was getting loves and she approached me while I was standing up (!!) And licked my hand and let me pet her under the chin!! That just made my day Smile
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptySun May 27, 2012 10:54 am

Yay!!!! I'm so glad to see she is making such awesome progress!!!
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptySun May 27, 2012 11:15 pm

I was sitting outside with Chase and she ran up by the front door. Bf spooked her and I figured she would run to the other side of the yard but she came around and sat 2 feet away from me and looked at me. Let me pet her without flinching, mouth open calmly! Chase climbed into my lap so I pet him and she moved closer. Smile. My boyfriend had just Saud "whatever dog whisperer" because I told him he was scaring her so I knocked on the door and said dog whisperer this!! Haha
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptySun May 27, 2012 11:17 pm

Hahaha that's awesome!!
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptyMon May 28, 2012 10:02 am

I woke up around 6am and found two white dogs sleeping on the floor by my side of the bed!! She's came into the bedroom while we sleep but she's never laid down to sleep!
Back to top Go down
ToccoasMom
Puppy
Puppy
ToccoasMom

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptyMon May 28, 2012 10:20 am

I'm glad things are going so well!
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptyMon May 28, 2012 10:35 am

Wow it's not taking her much time at all to adjust!!! Good job!!!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptyMon May 28, 2012 10:49 am

I am so glad things are working out for you guys.

I have been reading your posts thinking if I need help with my rescue Kerianseray some of what you are doing may help me.

Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptyMon May 28, 2012 11:38 am

I'm shocked at the progress she's made in just a week. I cannot wait to see where she will be a month from now.

Congrats on Kerianseray she's beautiful!
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptyTue May 29, 2012 8:22 am

She slept in the bedroom again last night! This morning while getting ready for work she has approached me a hand full of times and licked my hand (didn't try to pet) and then Chase gets his butt in the way and pushes betweeen us. haha I am LOVING watching her and Chase play right now. Husky play is like no other lol The funniest thing for these two is that they are both making NO sound except for breathing.

I am so glad she's doing so well already!! We've had her for a week and a day now.
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 11:13 pm

For anyone wondering she's still doing great! She makes progress every single day. She has been sleeping in our bedroom every night. In the morning she is the most playful and she follows me (really Chase because he follows me) around while I get ready for work. At night she has started coming around and sniffing and wanting to play with Chase as well. She will take treats from my hand. She also has got to the point that she will go in and out the door with me OR my boyfriend holding the door! YAY!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Very timid rescue husky   Very timid rescue husky Empty

Back to top Go down

Very timid rescue husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next