It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

House Training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
XtraDog
Newborn
Newborn
XtraDog

House Training Empty
PostSubject: House Training   House Training EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi, I have a 19 month old husky, Arapahoe. She a wonderful dog, good natured etc and lives very much as a pet do. I am fully aware of many of the shortfalls of huskies, but the one problem which is frustrating me is the fact that 80% of the time she is house-trained, she won't actually ask to go out and if she needs to go and I am not watching her she will go on the office or kitchen floor. I do not punish her, as I am not that this is the way to go, but rather praise her when she goes correctly outside.

Has anyone else had this problem with a young husky and if so how did you resolve it? I have tried more walk, a long walk when we first get up, which certainly helped and even tried feeding her outside which made no difference at all.

Arapahoe is a fabulous dog and if I could resolve this problem she and I would be much happier.

Thanks

alex and Arapahoe
Back to top Go down
http://www.spiffydog.co.uk
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

House Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House Training   House Training EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 4:48 pm

the only advice i have is to punish her when she relieves herself inside. we havea 4 month old we are still breaking! My puck was house broke by 12 weeks old! our pup will go out when we take her and sometimes will go to the door and look at you. we are trying to teach her to ring a bell that hangs on the door when she needs to "go". good praising when seh geos is also a plus! but when they do bad and do not get punished for it then to them its ok every once in awhile to do the same thing. I hope this helps
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

House Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House Training   House Training EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 2:07 pm

I had a couple different approaches to my (at the time 4 years old) Yorkie mix. She spent the first part of her life eliminating wherever the hell she wanted indoors. The owner never tried anything to housebreak the dog. The excuse being that the piles and spots "aren't that big". It took me weeks upon weeks to break that habit. The first thing I did was institute a mandatory outside break every two to three hours. Even if she didn't go, we still went outside and I tied a "go potty" to the trip as well. The second thing I did was constantly monitor and follow her around the house. When she would get up to go piss on the guest room carpet, I would quietly follow from just out of sight knowing full well that there was going to be something to cleanup. Waiting for her to squat while watching from around the corner, I would yell "HEY!" in a voice of god volume and tone. Then immediately I took her outside and left her there for a while. She hates being outside so the punishment was fairly severe for her. It took weeks to get her trained, and even still to this day she leaves me little spots if I miss a "go potty" break.
Back to top Go down
jay
Newborn
Newborn
jay

Male Join date : 2010-02-09

House Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House Training   House Training EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 10:03 am

Just curious is it normal for Husky pups mine 9 weeks old to piddle. When ya hold her or she is lying around or playing she piddles. Just curious
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

House Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House Training   House Training EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 10:10 am

jay,
welcome to the forum by the way and cute avatar pic! piddle? you mean like pee a lil bit? my pup use to pee a bit when she got excited when someone new came in and she still does if you scold her she squats and pees. So i dunno, maybe? all dogs are different
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

House Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House Training   House Training EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 11:29 am

Sounds like submissive peeing. Some dogs do it, others don't. They do grow out of it eventually. And she's still very young. I wouldn't get too concerned until maybe 4 months. By then they should be able to hold.

And Alex are you crating her? If she can't be trusted when you aren't watching you can use 1 of 2 methods or both really... You can use the lead method where you tie her to you on a lead so she can't be out of sight and you can catch her before she goes or in the act. If you can catch her a sharp verbal correction would do and to take her out. Or you can have her in a crate when you can't physically have your eyes on her. Mishka was housebroken within 2 weeks of coming home. Mostly because of the crate.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

House Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House Training   House Training EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 11:31 am

The Bernese I watch did that from about two months old to six months old. I think it has to do with a build up of those "hold it" muscles. For some of them heir little brains haven't sorted everything out yet.

... and yes, welcome!
Back to top Go down
BONFIRE HUSKIES
Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

House Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House Training   House Training EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 4:37 pm

Usually the piddling stops once they are spayed or neutered atleast thats what the vet states
Back to top Go down
XtraDog
Newborn
Newborn
XtraDog

House Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House Training   House Training EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm

I had a similar problem when my husky was young. It was all about fear, and self confidence. What I found very helpful was Tellington TTouch and there are very good practitioners in the UK for it, or I can suggest Sarah Fisher's excellent book Unlock Your dogs Potential as it would be useful if you can do a bit of TTouch on your dog yourself. Talk a lookat the TTouch website http://www.ttouchtteam.com/index.html

Cheers

alex and Arapahoe
Back to top Go down
http://www.spiffydog.co.uk
jay
Newborn
Newborn
jay

Male Join date : 2010-02-09

House Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House Training   House Training EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 9:15 pm

Yes, firefighterchik04 the avatar pic is my pup she is a wonderful pup. beautiful markings. Thankyou and everyone else i will try these few thing an wait an see where we go. Iwas just curious about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

House Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House Training   House Training Empty

Back to top Go down

House Training

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1