It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Trying to find a breeder

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
MadMay
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-06-25

Trying to find a breeder Empty
PostSubject: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 1:44 pm

Hey everyone my name is Alena. I want to purchase a Husky puppy for christmas. I am having a hard time finding an exceptable breeder via website not making calls yet as it it a little early. Thought maybe you all could help me out a little and tell me what breeder you got your puppy from!

So I take finding a breeder very seriously as in highschool I worked as a dog groomer for a Pomeranian breeder/shower. At first everything seemed okay only bad thing I could say was that she had to many dogs. However she got comfortable with me she allowed my to go into the area where she kept most of the dogs and it was just awful long story short I turned her in for animal abuse and left and she is still showing and breeding these poor dogs. My point of this being this woman has champion dogs she is held in good standing with other breeders and sells her dogs for thousands so from the outside she seems like a good breeder.

What I look for in a breeder
Show quality breeding dogs with titles as I am interested in showing
This person does not have several dogs kept outside in kennel 90% of the time as seems to be prevalent
This breeder will allow me to see every dog on her property and where she keeps them
Genetic testing done before puppy is given to me that is included in the price as well as giving me a copy from the vets office.

Oh yeah I have one cat no dogs and a large wood privacy fenced back yard I am active with my families dogs they go hiking with us swimming and on trips
Thanks everyone sorry this got kind of long!

Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 2:10 pm

Honestly, most good breeder's will not sell a puppy at Christmas time. Mainly, because people buy puppies as "presents" then after a couple week's it will end up on craigslist or at a shelter after the new puppy feelings have worn off. Getting the puppy before Christmas or after would be a better choice anyway. Bringing in a new puppy into a household around the holiday's can be a bad idea, because people have family coming into town and there's so much excitement going on it could be stressful for a new pup. It's better if the household is calm and quiet, so he/she can get better adjusted to his/her new environment and family.

I suggest going to the AKC website and checking out the breeder listing there. From there I would call local breeder's and ask if you can visit the kennel and take a tour to see if it's up to you're standards.

Where are you located? So, people may suggest breeder's that they know of that could be close to you.
Back to top Go down
MadMay
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 2:18 pm

Thank you so much I went ahead and read the How To Find A Reputable Breeder thread. Which I should have done in the first place but had not noticed it. I took the tip of going to the akc site and looking at the breeders of merit and lucky me found one where I live in Roseburg Oregon Galena Creek Kennels so I reading her website right now if anyone has experience with this breeder or has a breeder in mind feel free to let me know. I live in Roseburg Oregon so I am looking mainly in Oregon, washington, Idaho and UTah
Back to top Go down
MadMay
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 2:53 pm

Update just got off the phone with this breeder and she seems wonderful Im going to her kennel in august to see all of her dogs. All of her dogs are hip and eye certified I was told that the puppy has to be a year old to have there eyes certified and a 2 for there hips so Im going to read more into that.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 3:19 pm

I have a friend with multiple puppies from Galena and I've heard great things about them. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 3:25 pm

My babygirl is from Galena creek kennels, as is brady.law's. They run a wonderful operation down there, really top knotch. I am from the salem area. Welcome to the forums! Smile.

I don't know if you have discussed numbers with the breeder yet, but don't let them deter you. You can't put a price on properly bred pups. what she charges is completely fair for the quality of pet you will be bringing home
Back to top Go down
MadMay
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 3:35 pm

MyKeeonah I did not ask her the price I did set up a payment plan of 300 dollars a month starting with my deposit in August. I figured it would depend on the puppy what price she would charge but may I ask how much you payed for your puppy I am expecting 1000 to 1500.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 4:38 pm

prices will start at 900 as long as you sign a contractual agreement to have the pup spayed/neutered. if you plan to leave your pup intact i believe it is 1200
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 4:49 pm

900-1200 is what I would expect from a good breeder. So crazy how a lot of people think huskies START out at 1500-2000 dollars!

Last edited by Heather! on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 5:02 pm

We paid 800 for Cato from a very reputable show kennel. But, Michigan is in a horrible recession, so that may have something to do with it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MadMay
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 5:42 pm

Yeah so I was about right on the price point I will be fixing the pup however I still want show quality pup as I may bring him/her to a show but to me all her dogs are of great quality and titles so I imaging Her getting a puppy that lacks the conformation to show isnt born to often.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 5:52 pm

Last edited by mheath0429 on Mon May 27, 2013 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 5:57 pm

MadMay - just look at my avatar photo. Rest assured, your dog will be gorgeous Smile I have been asked by both vets i have taken her to, as well as the neighbors where i got her. Galena Creek only breeds dogs that are exceptional examples of the breed
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I know someone from FB who's getting a show puppy from them. Sound like you're pretty set on a breeder. You can go to shows and talk with other breeders too and get a chance to see different dogs. And I know what it feels like to see a person who shows and does quite well with their dogs, but hate the way they keep their dogs at home. I personally hate when siberians are kept in actual kennels all the time and you see puppies that were clearly raised in a kennel and act like they have zero normal socialization and manners.

Trying to find a breeder Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
prentiss80
Newborn
Newborn
prentiss80

Male Join date : 2012-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 1:56 pm

I got my baby boy off craigslist for 130 and he was a sick puppy. He is doing well now. He is happy a puppy. I had two awful experiences with craigslist, so I guess I will get my next one from a breeder. Sad
Back to top Go down
CarlSagan
Newborn
Newborn
CarlSagan

Male Join date : 2012-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 10:08 pm

I'm right above you in Eugene. We got ours from a couple of really nice folks in Molalla for $750.00.Here's their website http://www.eskridgekennel.com/.
Their dogs are all AKC registered and their pedigree goes back to the first Siberian Husky to win the Westminster. Now is a good time to talk to them, because they should be having another set in the spring.

Here's our little girl to give you an idea of what the babies look like.

Trying to find a breeder WSGk6
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 10:18 pm

CarlSagan - I cannot find anything on that site that suggests health testing - do they OFA/CERF certify? And do they show/work their dogs? Sorry, there just isn't much to go off of their site.

This is an old post though - OP, Paragon and Tovik seem to be decent out by you. Perhaps even Kaniska, but I would go with Paragon first. I love her dog Paragons Red, Red, Wine (Merlot)
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 10:24 pm

Many/Most of today's Siberian Huskies can be traced back to Ch. Innisfree's Sierra Cinnar (The BIS Westminster winner). As one of the top producers in the breed even to this day and a top producer for three years straight in his time.

Having a pedigree back to him doesn't mean much - all things considered. But - having an AKC registered dog doesn't mean much either if you're talking about the breeder being "reputable" or "ethical" or "good". As my Siberian is AKC registered and comes from the Amish (a NOT good, ethical or reputable area for breeding).

A pedigree with "champion" dogs in it or "can be traced back to X dog who was a champion" does not guarantee the present dogs health, workability, temperament or structure if the PRESENT dogs are not being show, worked, health tested or temperament tested to prove that they are passing on healthy and sound traits.

Just my two cents.

Trying to find a breeder Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
prentiss80
Newborn
Newborn
prentiss80

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 10:51 pm

I just came back from Cullman Al and this lady had 8 puppies and she has 6 left. I saw both parents and they look healthy. I had one concern; she is feeding the three week old food from the table. This is my first experience with owning a Husky. They look good, but I don’t know about the table food at such a young age. I thought for the price I could not go wrong I hope. I will be picking her up on the 15th of this month.

http://shoals.craigslist.org/pet/3513004915.html
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 10:53 pm

Please be careful - I would suggest going somewhere more reputable if you could. As you stated above, your previous dog was sick and it was a similar situation....
Back to top Go down
prentiss80
Newborn
Newborn
prentiss80

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 11:10 pm

I have taken that into consideration, the father is AKC registered. She did let me come and meet the parents, unlike the other people. I will tip lightly. Idea
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 11:11 pm

What is the fathers name? I can do some research for you.
Back to top Go down
prentiss80
Newborn
Newborn
prentiss80

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 11:27 pm

I will call and ask her for it.
Back to top Go down
prentiss80
Newborn
Newborn
prentiss80

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 pm

The father name is Toro...
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 11:59 pm

Oh, I'd need his registered name. Not this call name.

For example Cato's is Karnovanda's Darth Cato
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find a breeder   Trying to find a breeder Empty

Back to top Go down

Trying to find a breeder

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next