It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

Female Join date : 2012-06-18

Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! Empty
PostSubject: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 6:47 pm

This is just something that I need to get off my chest and I'm sure someone has mentioned it before but now I'm dealing with it and it's really an eye opener. So as some of you know I recently moved back home and now I'm looking for a place to live with my little family. I've tried commercial apartments, private apartments, rental homes, condos and it seems no matter where i go I'm met with a big NO HUSKIES sign. My puppy is 9 weeks old, practically fully potty trained, crate trained, friendly, non-destructive, quiet and all around a wonderful dog. Why are we being discriminated against? I understand somewhere down the line there have been mean Huskies, but I don't beat my dog or force her to fight. I stepped on her foot once and almost started crying when she yelped! I feel like babies/kids are often times more destructive then Luna or in fact, any dog I've ever owned! It just drives me up a wall that so many think my sweet girl is a threat. I knew it would be difficult to find a place to live but I never imagined it being this difficult. I have 2 showings this weekend and fingers crossed, we will get one of them!!

Last edited by Shorty4lyfe89 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 6:54 pm

Luna is 9 weeks? Give it time, it will come lol. I thought mine were angel's too, then the brattyness kicked in. I hope you luck out and don't have to deal with it though.

Thing's are the same around here as far as renting with no Huskies, especially apartments. From what I've read, most people have better luck renting family homes as the people tend to not be as strict. If you go on craigslist I believe they have an option you can search for pet-friendly homes.
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 7:02 pm

I don't mind brattyness but I'll be sure not to mention it to any potential future landlords!! Razz
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 7:14 pm

Eh, ours arent too bad. They like to shred paper, but they don't make it a point to destroy the house at all (ie. the walls, floor, etc.) ALL dogs are capable of being destructive. In fact, my brothers 12 week old black lab decide he was teething so bad, that he would chew off a piece of the window sill. Cato was teething, and he never chewed like that. And yet, labs aren't banned.

I'm sure it's due to aggression, but as we all know the majority of huskies really are very kind. We also rent, and we are renting a duplex owned by an older couple who actually met Delilah, so they could make their decision. Obviously, she charmed them as she also did with every child on the block.

Did I mention mine were the quietest dogs on the block? There are quite a few dogs on the block, and mind are in no way the most mouthy. They are always quiet when outside, unlike all the little yappy ass dogs on our street. AND we keep ours on leash, while our neighbors insist on keeping their Golden off lease, did I mention they also water their grass? Sorry, that irritates me. There are people suffering from drought and these assholes water their grass. Sorry about the tangent, back to the topic:

You can find a land lord that will allow you to have huskeroos, it will just take a lot of searching and if you are like us, a little bit of luck!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 7:27 pm

We got REALLY REALLY lucky. Our landlords LOVE the huskies! When they come fix stuff, they fawn all over them lol. We didn't have them when we moved in, we had 2 little dogs. When we were going to get the husky, I asked her first, and she was excited FOR us! lol.

That being said, we were looking at different apartments/houses for a time, and we ran into that SAME issue. We pretty much just stopped saying they were huskies, and just said we had mutts.

The reason for that, even though it is a BOGUS reason, is a lot of the insurance agencies have huskies on the dangerous list, because they were "bred from wolves." Like Megan said, just keep looking, be PATIENT, and always kind when addressing and talking about Luna. If you don't get an out and out no, (sometimes we got an "I'm hesitant because...") and you think you can impress them, maybe show them Luna, and how you have her under control, for the time being Razz.

It will happen, don't get too discouraged! Have you tried googling "all breed apartments" or something like that?
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 7:31 pm

I have tried searching for all breed apartments, I'm just having issues because I have to stay in a relatively small radius due to school and I can't have a 4 hour commute everyday. The other issue is we are on a time schedule because we have to move cross country (we've been apartments searching since March!) and we don't have anywhere we can stay even temporarily in our destination. It seems like California was a lot less strict (at least the area we were in)!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 7:35 pm

Where are you moving to?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 7:35 pm

Concord, New Hampshire
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 7:39 pm

Have you tried Craigslist, Adsack.com, or TNOL.com? I know the adsack and TNOL are kinda cruddy places, but we found our home in the adsack! It doesn't hurt to tru Smile Or maybe find an apartment locator service up there. They normally can find something for you!
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 7:40 pm

I've never even heard of adsack or TNOL, looking them up right now!!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 8:01 pm

I did not know this problem even existed. Wow, huskys are so friendly and lovable. Weird, I mean every dog breed can have a nasty one in the bunch, so ban all dogs then, really? So sorry this is such a problem for you, seems so ridiculous to me.....
Back to top Go down
AdamK
Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

Male Join date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 1:58 am

katie I live in carlsbad, in an apartment and there are like 5 huskies plus me that live here. You should check it out I will PM you if you are interested! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 9:28 am

Thank you for the offer but we are moving back to NH, although at this point I'm half tempted to stay in CA, they are a lot more lenient!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 9:42 am

peoplewithpets.com is the site i used for breed lists in apartments or houses. Colorado is very dog friendly. I only found malamutes and huskies to be on like 3 lists. For the most part its like sure, she can stay here! california to be honest is worst. I found like really crap places to allow them. I hope you find a place! I know how stressful it is!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 11:58 am

Worse comes to worse, you can move into a Motel 6 for a month with your dog and look for an apartment in person. Usually the smaller places rented out by individuals have a better chance of allowing your pet. The large commercial apartment complexes here in LA also don't allow huskies because most insurance have breed specific limitations. Another option is to try to convince a landlord by offering to have renter's insurance with a standalone liability policy covering your dog. Farmer's Insurance doesn't have breed limitations. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 2:21 pm

We're lucky my parents said we could stay with them for a bit but not too long because their dog dosent like other dogs but I will definatly look into the insurance. I looked at a place today as it seems perfect and they allow huskies but there's another couple interested so fingers crossed we can get it!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 4:12 pm

One thing our trainer here in FL told us as well, having the CGC (Canine Good Citizen) can really help with housing issues. Since I'm in a base town we have people coming and going all the time, and the trainer made it a point to educate us on that in our first puppy class. It won't help in the short term, but definitely do the training and if you move again in the future it could really help you out.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
artoaky
Teenager
Teenager
artoaky

Male Join date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 5:47 pm

9 weeks old and not destructive? Just you wait... My Luna started destroying things at 8 months but stopped at 11 months. She's an angel now though "phew" haha
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 6:14 pm

I fostered a dog once who did over $1000 worth of damage to my house on base and she was about Luna's age, after that dog I feel like I can handle any damage Luna does, I'm prepared lol Razz
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 7:10 pm

So we found an apartment, it's actually a condo that our landlord is renting out. We knew we weren't getting the Hilton of apartments, the previous tenants had been evicted and left the place a MESS! I'm talking mold in the stove, cat pee in the kitchen cabinets, disgusting stained floors and unmentionable bathtub. But at least us and Luna had found a place. So we move in on the 1st, the Military had payed for my things to be moved so the movers came in and set everything up. We were told we had to register Luna with the condo association so we went the next day (the 2nd). They told us our dog was not allowed on the premises until the board decided she was approved, PERIOD. So we moved back in with my parents, last week I received an email from the condo saying this:

"Katie,
The Board of Directors’ President has emailed me this morning to tell me that you have your dog on the property. I asked you to wait till they approve it. I’m now worried that they won’t approve it. Please take the dog to your families’ house till I hear back from the Board."

We have not been back to the apartment with her since we found out she was not allowed. But, with further research we found apparently our new neighbor's dog contracted fleas and he called the condo association and complained. He said our dog specifically but with no proof, yet they believed him. Luna certainly does not have fleas. So now we have no where to live and we're out $3000 (for rent, security and a pet deposit) and the landlord is NO help. We really have no idea what to do and I'm starting school in 2 weeks and will not have the time to start apartment searching again. Sorry to unload on everyone but I don't know what to do Sad ....
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Searching for a nice and affordable place anywhere within a 20mile reach of the coast in Southern California is a mission, good luck to you. What school are you going to? If you go to Mira Costa in Oceanside, make sure you take a class with B. Hoskins he is awesome. If you have any questions regarding that area PM me I know everything in the area.

Adam did you go to Carlsbad High? I am from Carlsbad, Ca and that is where I went haha.
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 7:38 pm

We are actually back to NH, I know we were searching in CA (specifically Fallbrook a smidgen cheaper then Oceanside) for a while when he thought he was going to re-enlist but we said no way. We were glad we had moved back home but maybe not so much anymore :/
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 7:58 pm

I wouldn't worry about not being in Southern California it was probably for the best. I lived there for awhile and I couldn't wait to leave.
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 8:00 pm

Yeah we weren't huge fans either, but we were both stationed on Camp Pendleton so we had to be there lol.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 9:28 pm

We were having the same problem before we moved in July. Since they are on the aggressive breed list we went through dozens of apartment complexes who didn't allow them. We also had the weight limit problems, seems like they only want small dogs and in some cases they are worse than big dogs at least in my opinion. Thankfully we found the right apartment and all the ladies in the office love when I bring Anna in. The apartment we live in is great and I am very thankfully we got lucky guess it is more of a hit or miss kind of thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!   Husky Housing Rant - Final Update! Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky Housing Rant - Final Update!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next