It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky color?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
katirhodes
Newborn
Newborn
katirhodes

Female Join date : 2012-07-04

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 2:27 am

Has anyone seen a husky this color? He is a very cream color, they said he could be mixed, we rescued him, but I have never seen a husky this light of a color. I have seen pure white and copper but not cream and white. If he is mixed what do you think he is mixed with? He also has white/yellow eyes that are dark brown on the outside. Whatever the case we love him anyway! The only reason I ask is because I love his coloring and want another husky like him!

Edited: He is 13 months old! We got him a 7 months.
Husky color? 39474811

(Random) We had a photo shoot he got mad at the tree because I kept putting it around him! He knew whatever he did he would be going to Petsmart to get a treat! Though I got great pictures!

Last edited by katirhodes on Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
katirhodes
Newborn
Newborn
katirhodes

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 2:32 am

Other pictures to help see his color!

Husky color? 31431411

Husky color? 24657811
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 4:19 am

Could be an extreme dilution of red...or tan pointed which would be brown/cream. A way way long time ago (at the beginnings of the breed) they would register dogs as br/x/x (Brown/Grey/White for example - but I think it then later turned into red) - though I've never seen a full brown purebred Siberian.

He doesn't appear to be a wooly..but has lots of feathering..so it's possible somewhere there was a mix but he appears mostly Siberian looking - so the mix could be far enough back and the breedings were then all done to purebred Siberians so he has the Siberian look just the color is off.

The color reminds me of blonde golden retrievers.

Very handsome and unique. Something to one day bring up to my geneticist friend hopefully!

(whites are often cream highlighted [if you look close enough you can see cream on a lot of whites] so the interaction of genes might not have been so severe to produce the true or bright white appearance and instead brought the cream. Though I could just be rambling at this point - it is 330am lol.)

Husky color? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
katirhodes
Newborn
Newborn
katirhodes

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 4:43 am

Thank you! Hopefully I can track down more information about him from his past owners. I haven't really tried because they were not the best of owners.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 4:47 am

Well he's in good hands now Smile.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm just not that learned yet - but I've put in a question to my friend asking if a cream/white purebred is possible. Hopefully I can get some form of an answer (that I understand lol) soon. How big (height and weight) is he if you don't mind my asking?

(If I really had to put a color to him I'd say he's a very [extreme] diluted red - which I'd be more apt to believe him to be a purebred Siberian with a wooly coat)

Husky color? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
katirhodes
Newborn
Newborn
katirhodes

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 4:55 am

Lol he is a rarity! When I saw him I knew I had to have him!

You helped a lot! I was completely in the dark with him. I can't wait to hear what your friend has to say! Any information helps!

Sitting/on all fours he is half of Dom, so about 2 feet 3 inches. We got him fixed at nine months and he was 48 pounds, he has gotten some what bigger so probably about 55 pounds.

Do huskies keep growing after 13 months?
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:02 am

I'm glad to be of some help where I can Smile.

They usually hit a spurt between 14-16(18?) months. They're done growing (height-wise) by 2 years of age. The rest is all filling out and what not.

9 months he was neutered...he might grow a bit more than normal. It's a known fact that puppies spayed/neutered before the closing of the growth plates tend to be longer/lankier than their intact counterparts. BUT! Who knows. lol. It's really irrelevant in a pet whether they keep getting taller unless you're hoping for a small-ish dog.

2 feet 3 inches..that shoulders or ear tips?

Husky color? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:08 am

His coloring is actually seen in some border collies. If I had to give out a guess of potential mix, that's what I would say. He reminds me of Stark who I think is part Collie.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:10 am

Thought Stark was tanish? :o Not as dark as Mickey - but still tan? :o

Husky color? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:14 am

He is black and tan but he looks a lot like Vegas. Coat, head, and feather wise.. And yeah he's not as dark as Mick he's more chocolately black.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
katirhodes
Newborn
Newborn
katirhodes

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:14 am

Nah, the bigger the better! We love big dogs! I told Dom that Vegas might get bigger and he was pretty happy! Thanks for telling me about the growth spurt, I will have to keep a close eye on his collar then.
We neutered him earlier because we have three other dogs and Vegas started marking in the house. So I hope that helps with him growing! Though, of course we love him no matter what happens! We have a yorkie so clearly size doesn't matter!

That would be ear tips! Do you need me to do shoulder tips?
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:16 am

arooroomom wrote:
He is black and tan but he looks a lot like Vegas. Coat, head, and feather wise.. And yeah he's not as dark as Mick he's more chocolately black.

That would be the golden color in Collies you were referring to - yes?
(I had to look up Border colors and my god - my head exploded)

Kati - you can do shoulders just for an exact measurement but I imagine he'd average about 22-23 inches so he'll probably grow a bit more. (Though I'm already REALLY terrible at math so at 4:18 in the morning it can only go downhill from there lol - go ahead and measure shoulders for me xD!)

Husky color? Oil_pa11

Last edited by Niraya on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
katirhodes
Newborn
Newborn
katirhodes

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:17 am

arooroomom wrote:
His coloring is actually seen in some border collies. If I had to give out a guess of potential mix, that's what I would say. He reminds me of Stark who I think is part Collie.

I will have to look into border collies, I remember when I talked to his last owner he said there might be Malamute in him, but I haven't seen any malamutes that color either. Though he does have a bulkier build than most huskies I have seen.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:26 am

http://www.bryningbordercollies.com/Border-Collie-Colours

Basically if you want to do a lot of reading - that. (Can't reproduce without permission so a link to the site instead for all of your genetic Border Collie needs!)

Husky color? Oil_pa11

Last edited by Niraya on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
katirhodes
Newborn
Newborn
katirhodes

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:27 am

Niraya wrote:

Kati - you can do shoulders just for an exact measurement but I imagine he'd average about 22-23 inches so he'll probably grow a bit more. (Though I'm already REALLY terrible at math so at 4:18 in the morning it can only go downhill from there lol - go ahead and measure shoulders for me xD!)

Alright so we pulled out the tape measure and he is 24 inches from paw to shoulder! Well as long as shoulder means back if not then I can measure it again!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:29 am

katirhodes wrote:
Alright so we pulled out the tape measure and he is 24 inches from paw to shoulder! Well as long as shoulder means back if not then I can measure it again!
Ya did great! He might grow a couple more inches but not much if at all. Much bigger than a purebred (within standard) Siberian - at least.

Husky color? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
katirhodes
Newborn
Newborn
katirhodes

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:32 am

Niraya wrote:

As it only affects the hair follicles and not other pigmentation the dogs’ nose and eye rims will express its hidden colour.

Does this mean Vegas's hidden color is black? Because his eye rim/ mask is black? Oh but then he wouldn't be able to have to ee. Gosh this is why I got out of the science field!
Back to top Go down
katirhodes
Newborn
Newborn
katirhodes

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:35 am

Niraya wrote:
katirhodes wrote:
Ya did great! He might grow a couple more inches but not much if at all. Much bigger than a purebred (within standard) Siberian - at least.

Do you think he is bulkier than a standard purebred? His last owners said he might have malamute in him, but I haven't seen malamutes that color either. However he might get his build from one.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:49 am

Red is a recessive gene - so to get red dogs (of any shade/hue) your (in this case referencing the parent dogs) dog either has to be red, or be red factored (a carrier of the red gene) and then bred to a red or a red factored dog.

Red dogs CAN have black points - in Siberians they'd be considered Sable where as if he would have liver points he'd be a true red.

He could just be an out of standard Siberian. Height-wise he's already taller than the standard but that doesn't necessarily mean he's not purebred. A dog from poor breeding practices can come in all shapes and sizes. If you keep breeding large dogs together - they will produce large offspring - so on and so forth.

In truth - without some kind of a comparison (or a better picture of his full stature) I can't say whether or not he's "bulky" - he has A LOT of fur.

Husky color? Oil_pa11

Last edited by Niraya on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
katirhodes
Newborn
Newborn
katirhodes

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:58 am

Niraya wrote:
Red is a recessive gene - so to get red dogs (of any shade/hue) your (in this case referencing the parent dogs) dog either has to be red, or be red factored (a carrier of the red gene). Red dogs CAN have black points - in Siberians they'd be considered Sable where as if he would have liver points he'd be a true red.
That is good to know! Thank you! I also thought of his black pirate eye as his true husky poking through!

Niraya wrote:
In truth - without some kind of a comparison (or a better picture of his full stature) I can't say whether or not he's "bulky" - he has A LOT of fur.
lol That is very true! We gave him a bath and he was about three times less than the picture! He is pretty much all fur! I always worry about him getting ticks! I wouldn't know how to find it!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 6:02 am

katirhodes wrote:
Niraya wrote:
Red is a recessive gene - so to get red dogs (of any shade/hue) your (in this case referencing the parent dogs) dog either has to be red, or be red factored (a carrier of the red gene). Red dogs CAN have black points - in Siberians they'd be considered Sable where as if he would have liver points he'd be a true red.

Niraya wrote:
lol That is very true! We gave him a bath and he was about three times less than the picture! He is pretty much all fur! I always worry about him getting ticks! I wouldn't know how to find it!

lol my typing is so off. What that quote SHOULD say is (and I will fix it) to get red dogs your dog has to be a red or be red factored and then bred to either a red dog or a red factored dog. Example: You breed two red dogs together you get an all red litter. BUT! You breed a red dog to a gray dog (but you know the dog has thrown red puppies before - thus making him red factored) you can get red puppies, black puppies, gray puppies etc.

With a very fine tooth comb and lots of time on your hands you'd find those ticks! Razz
(honestly - LOVE his pirate eye!)

Husky color? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 8:06 am

Alright! From those pictures that I showed her she said the color appears cream or biscuit and that his head and coat make him look almost like a Samoyed/Siberian cross.

She said the black apostrophe over the one eye is unusual for a Siberian and so is the amount of tan in the younger picture coupled with the black nose. She said she "isn't saying it couldn't occur in the breed though - I've seen it in a few racing lines, but it's unlikely he'd have them in his pedigree. The fading from light to nearly white can occur in the breed. It's called Isabella white if the dog appears all white of silver/very light red if hints of gray or tan still appear along the topline."

She said that her hunch is a Siberian mix, possibly with a Samoyed. She called him gorgeous. She also said you could do a VetGen mixed breed panel to find out what the primary breeds are behind him.

Husky color? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 12:36 pm

I have seen a couple of samoyeds at dog shows who had that cream/biscuit coloring. I thought it was strange, cause I thought they only came in white! Same with great pyrenees.

Husky color? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 1:59 pm

Not quite the same, but.... if you're looking! lol.
Husky color? 409730_3705375385905_26107567_n

But he's in Alabama.

Husky color? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
katirhodes
Newborn
Newborn
katirhodes

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 4:35 pm

Niraya wrote:
Alright! From those pictures that I showed her she said the color appears cream or biscuit and that his head and coat make him look almost like a Samoyed/Siberian cross.

She said the black apostrophe over the one eye is unusual for a Siberian and so is the amount of tan in the younger picture coupled with the black nose. She said she "isn't saying it couldn't occur in the breed though - I've seen it in a few racing lines, but it's unlikely he'd have them in his pedigree. The fading from light to nearly white can occur in the breed. It's called Isabella white if the dog appears all white of silver/very light red if hints of gray or tan still appear along the topline."

She said that her hunch is a Siberian mix, possibly with a Samoyed. She called him gorgeous. She also said you could do a VetGen mixed breed panel to find out what the primary breeds are behind him.

Thank you! I will have to look into Samoyed dogs I never have before! Tell your friend I said thanks as well! I will also look into VetGen. If I found out anything I will let everyone know!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Husky color? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky color?   Husky color? Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky color?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1