It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
withlovejP
Puppy
Puppy
withlovejP

We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 1:14 pm

Hi again Heather! Phew! Thank God it’s normal. I was beginning to freak out with Ruby thinking I should take away her hard toys, thinking that was the cause of her teeth falling out. I’ll definitely try the frozen rope toy for her. Rogue is beautiful! 
Back to top Go down
withlovejP
Puppy
Puppy
withlovejP

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 1:16 pm

Hello “Eurocoupe”,
I’ll let you know if Ruby gets less hyper as well. She has her little moments that I like to call “wigging out” where she goes bizzerk and runs really fast around the room until she makes a “pit stop” to use the bathroom on her training pad. Hahaha! It’s rather adorable. She tends to do it when she needs to make a “number 2”. Lol!
Back to top Go down
withlovejP
Puppy
Puppy
withlovejP

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 1:17 pm

Hi Maverick & Ghost!
I’d love to! You’d have to let me know when you’re in town. Ruby would love to have some Husky friends! I’ve always wanted to bring her to City Park or Audubon Park to play and run but with the weather acting up down here, it’s so hard to.
Back to top Go down
withlovejP
Puppy
Puppy
withlovejP

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 1:20 pm

Hey Ijelgin!
Thank you for your comment! That’s such a awesome avatar you got there with Kerian & Blaze! I wonder what made them have such expressions?!
Back to top Go down
withlovejP
Puppy
Puppy
withlovejP

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 1:28 pm

Hi “Dgingham12”,
Your reply is such a help! I was frightened too! I saw blood on my arm one night when Ruby and I were playing and I thought she bit me too hard! But it ended up being her gums that was bleeding! *Sigh in relief!*
Like I replied in my early post today, I dropped Ruby off for her spay yesterday morning at 7:30 A.M. and the vet told me I couldn’t pick her up until after 10:00 A.M. today! I was soooo bummed out because I thought I’d be able to get Ruby that same day, but in the afternoon like with you and Saphire! It’s okay though, I’m sure she’s taken care of. I’m imagining that Ruby will need the cone too with how much she licks herself. Haha.
Back to top Go down
withlovejP
Puppy
Puppy
withlovejP

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 1:29 pm

Thank you Nash & Dalton! Goodluck to you as well! Smile
Back to top Go down
withlovejP
Puppy
Puppy
withlovejP

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 1:31 pm

Thank you “Cmanding”, Ginger, and Storm! I noticed that Ruby has been having a upset tummy because I changed her from Blue Buffalo to Wellness. I’m assuming I didn’t switch out her food long enough. I feel horrible for it. But after this bag of Wellness, I’ll probably switch back to Blue Bufallo. I just wanted read that it was good and I wanted to see if she’d like it. I heard from a friend Taste of Wild is wonderful as well! Thank you for your warm welcomes! Smile
Back to top Go down
withlovejP
Puppy
Puppy
withlovejP

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 1:31 pm

I appreciate “thered ofshaw”! I’ll look into it.
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 4:25 pm

Hey!! Welcome to the forum Very Happy All of your questions have been answered, but as far as loosing teeth goes, Luka lost all of his within just a couple of weeks lol, he was losing 2 or 3 a day sometimes! So yes, its normal! The biting may be due to the teething, although if she is biting hard, training will solve that - I know members on here who have hand-fed their pups in order to help with this.

Luka has the exact same heart shaped marking on his belly!! Except that his one is a black heart on his white coat. It was a lot more obvious when he was younger, now its covered up for the most part Sad
Back to top Go down
KairiLA
Puppy
Puppy
KairiLA

Female Join date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 10:08 pm

Welcome! We are in Baton Rouge trying to keep cool this summer haha so not far. Kairi just got spayed last week and was pretty much recovered the next day minus a rash on her stomach that responded to Benadryl. To be quite honest she has way more energy now than she did before but it could be a total fluke. We also have a strong feeling she is in the teenager stage as she is forever talking back/fussing and trying to refuse to cooperate. Persistence is key and she is finally starting to realize we wont give in. As far as mouthing goes we battle that as well. She mostly does it for attention we think and mostly just goes for the feet first and hands if you continue to ignore. Once she goes for the hands we put her in time out as that is usually her third strike lol. Some days she responds better to correction than others but I think she is learning. She is just 6 and 1/2 months old so still a baby. This is a great forum full of awesome advice!
Back to top Go down
withlovejP
Puppy
Puppy
withlovejP

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 12:43 am

Hey Erinc! Thank you! I was beginning to really freak out with Ruby losing her teeth the way she was within a week! She actually lost another today after coming home from the vet. I’ve heard of people hand feeding their pups also! I’ll have to give it a try. But I know its dedicated training that’ll be most effective.
Now for the depressing part of the reply….! When I brought Ruby home from her spay, I noticed her heart marking was shaved off!!!!!!!!!! Ughs. I was asking my boyfriend to look at it for me and tell me if it was gone, and he when he said it was, I was so upset. I found that it was the cutest feature! And ironically enough, I decide to post up a picture of it this morning. Haha. Its okay though. As long as Ruby is a-okay after her spay, I’m happy. Who knows, it could grow magically grow back? Haha.
Back to top Go down
withlovejP
Puppy
Puppy
withlovejP

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 12:51 am

Hey Nick, Lauren, & Kairi!! It’s definitely not easy to keep cool this summer! You guys aren’t so far away from Ruby and I! Haha. Ruby is reacting pretty good after her spay as well. I brought her home today at 6. She’s super exhausted right now. She’s knocked out next to me as I’m typing this in fact! Haha. I believe that Ruby is slowly growing into her teenage stage as well. She was turning into a “demon dog” as I call it earlier today when my boyfriend kept trying to get her away my bag of paperwork. Haha. She’s a sassy little girl. But yes, persistence is definitely key, and I’ve learn that through Ruby. I noticed the difference in her mouthing also. Ruby tends to lightly mouth my boyfriend and I’s hands when she wants to play, so we know she’s not trying to be a brat. But when we’re playing, and she gets rough.. I could tell she’s taking it too far. How do you put Kairi in time out? A friend of mine actually makes her Schnauzer stand up with his paws on the wall. Haha! I haven’t done the time out thing yet. If shes extra bad though, I’ll make her lay still or sit next to me, but I have too much of a soft heart right now that I don’t consider it a real time out. Ruby as well, she listens really well some days, other days she’s flat out hardheaded. When would you consider a puppy not a puppy anymore? As in what age? Thank you for your comment!
Back to top Go down
withlovejP
Puppy
Puppy
withlovejP

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 12:56 am

BTW you guys,
I shared this on another forum but I wanted to share it with you all as well. If you've heard of Groupon and Living Social, there is a website that's just like it... except for dogs/puppies!

Its, https://doggyloot.com

I hope you guys enjoy it like I do! I love it! Cool
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 1:10 am

Welcome to the forum! I wish I can help, but I wont get my baby girl until next week( 20th) maybe that I'll be more helpful:P
Back to top Go down
withlovejP
Puppy
Puppy
withlovejP

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 1:16 am

So, I've picked up Ruby from the vet today and they said she was a great puppy! So that alone makes me a happy mommy! Very Happy

Here's some pictures from today!

We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 2012-08-09173202
The car ride home!

We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 2012-08-09181005
What a cutie?!

We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 2012-08-09180846
Ru & her daddy-o!
I think she's trying to mimic the dragon on my boyfriend's wrist! Haha.

We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 2012-08-09213357
The scar isn't too bad, is it?

We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 2012-08-09195148
Excuse my roughness, I just got off of work and I was too excited for her to be home hence my cheesy smile. Smile

We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 2012-08-09213922
Ruby was super exhausted upon coming home. All she wanted to do really is lay down. My poor babyy!

Last edited by withlovejP on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 1:38 am

She's so gorgeous! And she looks like she did great with her surgery! They had to shave off her little belly heart Crying or Very sad ...but it'll grow back!! Very Happy

I LOVE the reds with amber eyes!
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 1:39 am

Back to top Go down
withlovejP
Puppy
Puppy
withlovejP

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 1:52 am

Thank you Lisa! Do you really think she'll grow it back? Cus I've been wondering... haha! I would've love that she does. Sabaka is beautiful! Is your husky a male or female? I'm not sure with the name and I would rather ask you then be rude and assume. :-) either way, Sabaka's eyes are mesmerizing! :-)

@Kizmat, I cant wait to see pictures of your baby girl!!
Back to top Go down
withlovejP
Puppy
Puppy
withlovejP

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 1:56 am

Silly me, I see on the left side with your info that Sabaka is a female. Hehehe. Is she red as well? Sabaka is mighty beautiful! My boyfriend and I have been trying to determine Ruby's actual technical coloclassification. Rubys breeder says she's Sable, but with her coat changing, I believe that her head is Copper and her body is Chocolate Copper. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
withlovejP
Puppy
Puppy
withlovejP

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 2:19 am

Wait you guys, I just read up on some stuff online and I found this a little odd.
When I picked Ruby up today, the worker didn't mention to me anything really until I asked if There's anything I need to take notice of Ruby after the spay or if There's any side effects. She just told me make sure she doesn't lick her incision and make sure it doesn't leak of anything. I just read up a bit and it says I should've gotten pain medicine for Ruby. The worker didn't give me any. Is it required of Ruby to receive medicine? And also, I read that stitches are removed after a week. The worker didn't tell me to return or anything... I'll give them a call tomo but I wanted some input on what you guys think.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 2:43 am

Pain medication isn't mandatory, and I usually don't recommend it where I work, especially for a female. If they feel too good, they may over-do themselves and possibly rip a suture or injury herself. Sutures are usually removed 7-10 days after the procedure. Remember to NEVER give ibprophen or Tylenol as they are toxic to dogs Wink

As for side-effects, if she does any vomiting and/or completely refuses to eat/drink, take her in. Rarely are there any, but it's good to know just in case. Shame on the tech or vet for not communicating! They need a swift kick in the behind! Evil or Very Mad

ETA-also if she is acting overly lethargic/not wanting to move after 24 hours, take her in. If she gets up to go potty, and seems interested to walk around when called, no need to worry. She may be sore and lay around some, but if it seems excessive, I'd get her checked out.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Dark-Krystal
Newborn
Newborn
Dark-Krystal

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 5:28 am

just wanted to welcome you and say how pretty ruby is i also like the reds,maybe my next one will be a red :-) and it's the first time i have seen a husky with green eyes too,very pretty :-)

Glad the surgery went well and she seems like she handled it pretty well by the looks of her in the car :-)

My foxy is also a biter and tends to do it more with me than my partner,the thing is she also gets me on the butt and between my thighs ,its like a little playful bite but they still hurt,i am trying to teach her atm no bite and am trying what has also been suggested with the how hard she can bite when she mouths me,she has just turned 6 months old and she seems to be getting better ,and i also have various toys to give her when she starts to get too boistrous in her biting ,she also has a soft spot that she loves to be patted at,so i try to pat her soft spot before she can start biting :-) Seem's to be working as well :-)

Back to top Go down
KairiLA
Puppy
Puppy
KairiLA

Female Join date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 10:18 am

We had to leave Kairi at the vet overnight too when she got spayed. When we went to pick her up they gave us an anti-inflammatory medicine but only three days worth. Luckily she didn't lick and didn't have to have the cone of shame but we did have to give her Benadryl twice a day until her rash went away. She does hate to be dirty though and they told us we couldn't bathe her until they checked her wound and gave us the go ahead which is tomorrow hopefully. Almost every morning she has jumped in the bathtub and turned on the faucets while I'm getting ready haha. She is such a silly girl sometimes.

As far as Kairi's time out it depends on where we are in the house when she does it. If we are close to a puppy proof room such as our guest bathroom that is her time out spot. Usually though it is more effective if we leave the room and close the door. She will sit and pout outside of the door until we come back out but I think she gets the point. To her I'm sure it is still a time out either way we are separated. As far as when the puppy phase ends I have no clue...with our red girl though it may never end haha. Before Kairi got spayed she was pretty low key as long as she got two good walks a day. Post spay she's like the energizer bunny lol.
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 12:05 pm

As for the pain medicine, my vet gave me a pain med/antibiotic for Saphire to take twice a day for the first two days. She told me it was precautionary.

As for having the stitches removed, I didn't have to take Saphire to have stitches removed because they didn't use traditional stitches but used a disolvable glue instead. I can't tell from the picture you posted for sure but it looks like that may be the case here. Check to see if you can see string. If not they may have used glue.
Back to top Go down
withlovejP
Puppy
Puppy
withlovejP

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 12:50 pm

Hi you guys!
I called the vet this morning and they told me that they shot Ruby with pain medication yesterday and they said that she won't necessarily need pain medication after that. And also, her stitches will dissolve therefore I don't need to come back to the office. Smile

Thank you all!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)   We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

We're new here, and we have some questions for you! :)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next