It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 8:35 am

I found these on the internet thought I would add them for you.

Quote :
Satin Balls" are a total canine diet. But be very careful, as it will put weight on a dog fast, if you feed enough. It can be feed by itself, but because it is so rich and high in calories, I only feed as a supplement.

So, if you have a sick dog needing to be built up or an underweight dog dog with little or no appetite, they may do very well on "Satin Balls" as a supplement.
Also, I give about a 1/4 pound occasionally, to maintain beautiful coats and energy level.
Don't mix or hide Satin Balls in with kibble, your dog will make a mess of the kibble, trying to get to the Satin Balls.
It is perfectly fine to freeze Satin Balls in pre-formed and weighed portions.
When mixing the ingredients, it is a gooey mass. For easy clean up purposes, I wear Latex Exam Gloves and mix by hand ...lol... but that is just me.
There are many sites with recipes for "Satin Balls", but I chose the following, because it breaks the recipe down into various sizes.

My dogs love Satin Balls and I bet yours will too

Satin Balls ~~~

All ingredients are uncooked RAW and "Satin Balls" are served raw.

Satin Balls for Little Dogs -- or to try out recipe on your dog to see if he will eat it.

1 lb cheap hamburger (for high fat %)
1 and 1/3 cups Total cereal
1 and 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 raw egg
6 Tablespoons wheat germ
1 package Knox unflavored gelatin
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons unsulfured molasses
Pinch of salt

Satin Balls Half Recipe
5 lbs cheap hamburger (for high fat %)
1/2 large box Total cereal (about 6 cups cereal)
1/2 large box uncooked oatmeal (about 7.5 cups oats)
5 raw eggs
1/2 of 15oz jar wheat germ (about 2 cups)
5 packages Knox unflavored gelatin
5/8 cup vegetable oil (this is pretty close to 2/3 cup)
5/8 cup unsulfured molasses
Pinch of salt

Satin Balls Full Recipe
10 lbs cheap hamburger (high fat %)
1 large box Total cereal (about 12 cups cereal)
1 large box uncooked oatmeal (about 15 cups oats)
10 raw eggs
1 15oz jar wheat germ
10 packages Knox unflavored gelatin
1 and 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 and 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
Pinch of salt

Notes:

"Whole Wheat Total" cereal (blue box) comes in large 1 lb 2 oz size (about 12 cups settled) and a smaller 12 oz size (about 8 cups cereal), which would work in Little Dog or Half Recipe. But in the long run, the large size is more economical. Don't get Raisin Total or Lo Carb. Total.

Uncooked Oatmeal like "Quaker Old Fashioned Oats" and less expensive supermarket house brand, come in large 2 lb 10oz size (15 cups oats) or smaller 18 oz size (about 7 cups oats).

15oz jar of wheat germ is about 4 cups. Some stores only carry a 12oz jar of wheat germ, which contains about 3 and 1/4 cups of it.

Vegetable oil -- use a good one. I use olive oil.

Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

Female Join date : 2011-12-15

Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 12:39 pm

You guys are an awesome support group =) We just keep learning more about what this poor girl (whose name is Mya, we've discovered) has gone through. Apparently she's also been hit by a car since the last time Joanna had her (hence the limp she now has with her back legs). We're not sure when that happened, but I'm certain she wasn't seen by a vet for it. She is eating pretty well and growing stronger though, and we're getting her in to a vet after the holiday weekend to have her looked at. First order of business is to get her fattened up and healthy enough for surgery and then get her spayed. I appreciate the offer to help with her vetting, too. Poor girl is scared to death. Apparently she's been mistreated/abused too. You have to be really careful when approaching her because if you go with your hand raised to pet her or get close to her with your feet, she hunkers down and tries to back away as if she thinks you are going to strike or kick her =(
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 3:40 pm

I went through that with Delilah and I am pretty sure that abuse rolled over to eat as I had to deal with a pretty bad case of resource guarding. I started using little treats every time I cam near her. It worked well, but took a while. Smile

Thanks for saving her, we all appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 4:12 pm

There really wasn't any other choice. Any decent human being would do the same.

Megan, how's the rescue husky your brother took in? He reminded me so much of my Zoe because she's got that same wooly coat.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 4:51 pm

Well, he fostered Dakota and they found a great home for him. He lives with two parents and two teenage kids. He sleeps with the teenage girl every night. Smile They feel in love with him instantly. He's lost weight and they are taking him in for neuter and teeth cleaning this week. Adam required it in their contract. I was proud of him for being responsible.
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 7:24 pm

I'm so glad he found a great home!

Here are pics of Mya from this evening. (We're going to give her a new name, but until then I guess she'll be Mya) She looks pitiful. I tried to bathe her, but she seems like it hurts to touch her, so the mud is the least of my worries right now. She just lays around like she's exhausted. We're pumping her full of water, but she doesn't seem too interested in eating yet.

Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 Photo14
 Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 Photo15
 Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 Photo16
 Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 Photo

She has sores and scabs on her hip and elbows where she was hit by the car. She won't put any weight on her rear left leg and hops when she walks. Also, apparently the idiots cut her hair. She has no brush on her tail at all. She's really tall and long compared to my girls.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 7:54 pm

Ugh... She looks awful, that's so sad... Awaiting the after pictures!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 8:30 pm

Those are so sad. I am sure you will take good care of her. Did you make some satin balls for her.??
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Dear god, what are you going to end up doing. Any way we can help?
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Shocked Omg, this breaks my heart! She looks horrible. I'm so glad that she's in your care now. Wow, people can be so cruel!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 9:14 pm

That poor poor baby, that is sad and twisted beyond anything...
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 10:04 pm

I didn't get to pick her up until early this morning, and she had eaten at Joanna's right before I got her. I haven't made the satin balls yet, but I am picking up the last ingredients I need when I go out tomorrow. I had a couple cans of TOTW and I opened one of those for her. She wasn't too interested in it, but Joanna said she ate a lot earlier. I'm going to try to feed her a lot of small meals a day so that she doesn't get bloated and get a stomach ache, as recommended by my rescue friend, Danielle.

I am going to call my vet in the morning and see when I can get her in. I'm sure they are closed on Monday, but I'm going to see if I can get her in Tuesday just to get checked out. She's laying at my feet right now just whining. I've never seen a dog so scared in my life. My kids are doting on her and petting her and talking to her. They are being great and keeping quiet so she can rest. Danielle is going to loan me a crate large enough for her so I can keep her in more often and keep a close eye on her.

I am disgusted with hos pitiful she is. Seriously, the pictures don't show her condition justice. She's like a walking skeleton. It tears my heart in two.

If you guys really want to help out with vetting costs, it would be appreciated. I'm really worried about that back left hip. She walks like her pain is more in it than in the leg itself and she can't seem to get comfortable no matter how she lays.

Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 10:15 pm

By the way, we've decided to rename her Storm.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 10:30 pm

Lets hope Storm weathers this stormy period of her life.

Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 11:26 pm

God knows if this poor baby would even still be alive if it weren't for you taking her in. You're an angel and I'm praying this sweet girl can get better and be loved the way she deserves to be. My heart's breaking for her Sad
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 4:09 am

do you have any pain meds you can give? I would fed ex you some if there were time. If the vet isn't open, got get some Arnica and Belladonna - they are homeopathic but they seriously reduce pain. I have to take them. I find they work better than meds.

Also, maybe icing it would help? It's a long shot, but it could ease her pain a bit.
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 4:54 am

I will try icing it and I will swing by the homeopathic store in town tomorrow and see if I can get those. I don't have any pain meds on hand. She seems to be moving better this evening than she was earlier. Less of a limp, so it may be aggravated by walking. She pretty much laid at my feet all evening, but she did get up to follow me into the kitchen earlier and I noticed she wasn't hopping as much.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 5:05 am

I'd also suggest getting her on coconut oil - will help fatten her up and get her healthier.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 5:29 am

If you call your vet you can get probably a weeks dosage(twice a day) of Rimadyl for under $20
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 9:51 am

I'd be very careful using meds of any sort that humans may use. Were all flesh and blood but were also set up biologically different.

Arainais, do your research before heading off to the local homeopathic shop.

http://www.drugs.com/npc/arnica.html

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/belladonna.html
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 12:13 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I won't give her anything until I hear back from my vet. I've left a message on their emergency line and am waiting on a call back. Hopefully they will call something in for her.
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 1:29 pm

So the vet called me back. He said there really wasn't anything he could call in for her because none of the pharmacies nearby carry pet meds. However, he said that he would be glad to see her Tuesday, so I am going to take her in right after work. Also, he said it would be hard to tell what she needs until he does an x-ray on her. He said that she might have a broken pelvis from the way I described her walking. I told him she wasn't too interested in eating, so he told me to bake her some chicken and shred it ad try that, so we've got some chicken breasts baking for her now.
Back to top Go down
Legend_of_Faolan
Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 1:47 pm

Oh, that poor poor girl! Thank goodness she has someone looking after her properly now!
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 5:38 pm

How is she doing?
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 7:22 pm

We are at the vet now. She's getting an X-ray and they think her pelvis may be broken
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?    Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Disgusting neglect case, remember the stray, pregnant momma husky at my friend's?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next