It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Stray Husky... Malnurished?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lovecheese45
Puppy
Puppy
lovecheese45

Female Join date : 2012-11-26

Stray Husky... Malnurished? Empty
PostSubject: Stray Husky... Malnurished?   Stray Husky... Malnurished? EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 5:39 pm

Stray Husky... Malnurished? 20130311Stray Husky... Malnurished? 20130312

What do you guys think? He sure seems it. He has definitely been abused. If I raise my hand over my head he cowers and starts quivering.

Last edited by lovecheese45 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Stray Husky... Malnurished?   Stray Husky... Malnurished? EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 5:43 pm

Yeah he looks kinda like Kay when we got her.
Back to top Go down
lovecheese45
Puppy
Puppy
lovecheese45

PostSubject: Re: Stray Husky... Malnurished?   Stray Husky... Malnurished? EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 5:45 pm

I feel really bad for him... he has a tag on him so I am going to contact Christian County, KY tomorrow and see if they can locate his owner... Though I dont think the owner deserves him.
Back to top Go down
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Stray Husky... Malnurished?   Stray Husky... Malnurished? EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 5:48 pm

lovecheese45 wrote:
I feel really bad for him... he has a tag on him so I am going to contact Christian County, KY tomorrow and see if they can locate his owner... Though I dont think the owner deserves him.

He may have escaped. Let's say the family moved to KY from TN and the dog didn't feel like it was "Home" and run to find the first home. It can happen.

I won't throw all the blame on owner.

Back to top Go down
HermesHaven
Newborn
Newborn
HermesHaven

Female Join date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Stray Husky... Malnurished?   Stray Husky... Malnurished? EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 6:24 pm

Super Nova wrote:

He may have escaped. Let's say the family moved to KY from TN and the dog didn't feel like it was "Home" and run to find the first home. It can happen.

I won't throw all the blame on owner.

But huskies are known to run whether or no he felt save. I'd say that if he's scared and quivering when you put your hand up by him that he most likely is being abused. He also looks malnourished to me.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Stray Husky... Malnurished?   Stray Husky... Malnurished? EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 6:36 pm

He could have been loose and running for sometime is why he looks Malnurished. I would find out if he has a micro chip take him to your vet and they can also check on tag.

If no owner is found in couple weeks. he could be a new member in your pack.
Back to top Go down
lovecheese45
Puppy
Puppy
lovecheese45

PostSubject: Re: Stray Husky... Malnurished?   Stray Husky... Malnurished? EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 7:06 pm

The owner found me while I was walking them... He told me he escaped from an open window and was running since this morning... He lives in my neighborhood too.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Stray Husky... Malnurished?   Stray Husky... Malnurished? EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 7:36 pm

He looks pretty thin to me. I would question the owner as to why the dog is so skinny and if he has his vaccinations. I would contact animal control and report the owner if things seem fishy.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Stray Husky... Malnurished?   Stray Husky... Malnurished? EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 7:52 pm

That's how Embry looks after blowing coat. He's never been hit once in his life and he cowers if a stranger pets him, it's just his personality. He's a very nervous dog

Last edited by Jennet&Embry on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Laura Newson
Puppy
Puppy
Laura Newson

Female Join date : 2011-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Stray Husky... Malnurished?   Stray Husky... Malnurished? EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Your doggy looks quite thin to me. Poor thing, one thing I know for sure is Kira our adopted husky when we first got her she was only 18 kilos under nourished and losing hair. She also cowered and ears back every time we went to pat her. It was thought by the shelter that kira was abused and hit. Even today 6 months later she occasionally still cowers but she will not let us touch her back side part of her legs. We dont know what happened to her exactly but definitely hit and or kicked by previous owners... People are so cruel they dont deserve to have animals.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Stray Husky... Malnurished?   Stray Husky... Malnurished? EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 9:06 pm

A lot of us have rescue dogs that were previously abused. Nanook was quite underweight when we got him (could easily see his ribs through his thick coat). If had he had gotten out during that first month I had him (before he started gaining back some weight), I would hate to think that someone wouldn't return him because they thought *I* abusing him. Unless we know that the current owner raised him since puppyhood and that the dog doesn't have some medical illness preventing him from keep his weight (thyroid disease, cancer, etc), it's not right to assume he is the abuser.
With all that said, yeah, I would still be keeping a close eye on him, since it is a neighbor.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Stray Husky... Malnurished?   Stray Husky... Malnurished? EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 9:18 pm

Good point, Samantha!

Plenty of people assumed I was starving Pippa when I first got her, because she was pretty thin.

I think keeping an eye out, or even just "checking" on the dog in a few days might be good.
Back to top Go down
Laura Newson
Puppy
Puppy
Laura Newson

Female Join date : 2011-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Stray Husky... Malnurished?   Stray Husky... Malnurished? EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 9:37 pm

True I agree the above comments, if we dont know for sure, but with Kira we know that the owners didnt want her back and she escaped several times ( 3) in total before ending up in the shelter . The owners were contacted and said that the shelter could keep her and didnt care. In all honesty due to the lack of history kira had she may have had more than one owner.
Back to top Go down
Mschwax
Puppy
Puppy
Mschwax

Female Join date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Stray Husky... Malnurished?   Stray Husky... Malnurished? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 4:13 am

Give the neighbor the benefit of the doubt...for now. Our first husky ALWAYS looked scary thin and we fed him what we THOUGHT was the best food at the time, and what our vet recommended...Science Diet. Perhaps you can strike up husky related conversations regularly and mention how touchy their digestive systems are...and in the process find out what he is being fed. It could be the owner is well intentioned but not knowledgeable. As for the nervousness...this may not be the first owner. Huskies, particularly experienced escape artists like this boy seems to be, often change hands a lot. I would just try to get to know the owner and find out what kind of person they are. Even if they have made mistakes in the past, they may become a great husky owner with proper education. After all...I think many of us felt over our heads when we brought our first husky home. They are way more complicated than a labrador!
Back to top Go down
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Stray Husky... Malnurished?   Stray Husky... Malnurished? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 5:28 am

more info on this situation? i've been watching this since monique told me about it and, im curious to find out whats going on with this whole situation.
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Stray Husky... Malnurished?   Stray Husky... Malnurished? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 9:17 am

Yes, huskies are thin and lean....but you should never be able to see a dog's ribs. Feel them, yes, but not see them...even with a blown coat. They should have a "waist". This poor thing is underweight, IMHO.

Poor baby~So you saw the owners out walking?? Did they take the dog back or am I missing something here?

Mishka will occasionally duck her head when I reach down to pet her....no way she's been abused, nor is she a nervous dog.

Thanks for trying to help this dog!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stray Husky... Malnurished?   Stray Husky... Malnurished? Empty

Back to top Go down

Stray Husky... Malnurished?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1