It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Under the Knife

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

Under the Knife - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 4:27 pm

Glad to hear she's doing better! Be careful without the cone, tho. Just as they can be sneaky about the chewing, they can be sneaking about getting to their wounds!
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 6:21 pm

ok we arent leaving her un attended without the cone...someone is here 24/7 but tomorrow we are both working....luckily i can come home very hour to check on her and i will put her cone on her before i leave :-)
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Under the Knife - Page 3 Sniper10
Under the Knife - Page 3 Sniper11
Under the Knife - Page 3 Sniper12

These are some of her pics :-( she has her energy back but im still keeping her locked in her crate for the whole 7-10 days to not risk her staples coming out or something inside tearing and causing leakage! she is eating well and slept all thru the night last night! thanks for all your thoughts!
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 11:23 pm

HAHAHA!!! That's hilariously pathetic.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 2:06 pm

that last picture breaks my heart Sad she looks so sad. that is one HUGE cut they made! I hope she heals up well around it. is her cone making noises as she hits it ageist the cage?

Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 2:12 pm

jbealer ---- yes it makes horrible noise and then she just takes it off! we have been keeping an eye on her and her cut and she hasnt messed with it at all! so we left the cone off all weekend and removed her bed from her crate since she was having some piddle problems, probably from the swelling inside. i went home at 10 to check on her after leaving at 730 this am and she was sounds asleep...took her out to pee and gave her some water and will go home @ 130 to feed her lunch and give her some more meds. staples come out march 1st....trying to be very careful until then! i would rather be on the safer side and her be in the crate around the clock than risk another operation to repair anything. she is doing farily well overall! so thankful the surgeon took good care of her! overall bill: $ 2304.00
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 2:19 pm

Ouch on the bill! I will not go on with all the other things that money could have been used for as I'm sure you all ready have but hey if you think of her living for 18yrs that is $128 a year and $10 a month to still have her around!

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 2:23 pm

Poor Sniper! At least she survived. Keep up the great work taking care of her!

Under the Knife - Page 3 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 2:34 pm

jbealer u r right :-) i talked w/ my husband about it before we went thru with the surgery and our daughter was already asking "mommy where's sniper" so we couldnt do anything BUT do the surgery! she is a part of our family and i would have done the same thing to any of my babies! :-)
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 2:38 pm

firefighterchik04 wrote:
jbealer u r right :-) i talked w/ my husband about it before we went thru with the surgery and our daughter was already asking "mommy where's sniper" so we couldnt do anything BUT do the surgery! she is a part of our family and i would have done the same thing to any of my babies! :-)
I think we'd all have made the same choice. Smile

Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 2:56 pm

you are SO right koda! they are our babies and we have to keep them safe and do everything we can! but fixing to head home and check on her again! :-) im fortunate i have a job that i can come and go as i please for right now! its helps in cases like this!
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 9:40 pm

Poor little girl! I am glad she is doing well.. Did not mean to sound preachy about the cone...hope I didn't come across as such. And yes, we would pay any amount to make sure the kids are ok. We have done so in the past. Not to the tune of thousands of $$$$ at once, but I would say we put out around $1000 for Mika, from adoption to the present, and that's only 3 months or so! And the happiness she brings us is so worth it! Again, glad your little girl is recovering and KUDOS to the Dr.
Back to top Go down
mcdlabs
Puppy
Puppy
mcdlabs

Male Join date : 2010-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 1:12 am

awww poor Sniper. The cone of shame Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.mcdlabs.com/BWS
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 9:52 am

well...thanks amykmac :-) u didnt sound preachy.....she just will NOT wear it! she hasnt messed with her incision at all. The docs called last night to check on her and had to tell them i keep a sheet under her crate so if she slides the tray out and has an accident im covered...come home to find some of that sheet inside her crate! cant tell how big a piece she ate but i was soooo worried last night!!!!! this is starting to get ridiculous! so we are keeping a close eye on her today to note any vomiting. hopefully if/what she did get was small enough to be ok when passing it!! im so worried that it will get stuck in her stomach after all this surgery stuff! note: sheet is no longer under crate! i guess she got bored and pushed her tray out of the way and scratched the sheet into her crate! guess she will never learn.....so again keep your fingers crossed....vet said she should be ok tho. we will see!!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 10:06 am

You should see our crates- they are reinforced at almost every entry... we have a lock so the tray can't slide out, and carrabiners so they can't open the doors (if Koda gets even one the original door locks undone he squeezes his way out of the crate).

No sheets, no beds, he just gets a peanut butter kong or a marrow bone. He'll destroy anything else in there with him.

Sniper should be fine. Our problem is a plain unadorned crate just looks so mean, but it's not. Koda is calm in his crate now. He knows when he goes in he gets a super special treat and he knows at this point that we're always coming back Smile

Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 10:38 am

koda,
thanks! yea well you saw our crate in the pics earlier...just plain metal. how do i fix the tray to where she cant slide it out? she hasnt escaped the crate yet but im sure as you say she will be a Houdini as well! I'm hopin not but like all of you have said it's the safest place for them! she doesnt mind being in her crate by no means especially since she has been in there since friday! and only is allowed to come out and poop and pee outside! i have been even feeding her and watering her in her crate and can you believe this? she has started chewing her food! she takes forever to eat but im glad!! maybe it hurts her belly now if she eats it too fast. she has only been doing this since her surgery. this has been one heck of an adventure! but i love her soo much!! she has grown on me! :-) and i would eventually love to have another but gotta get thru the first one first LOL
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 12:54 pm

does your crate have a latch at the bottom where the tray is? ours has this metal thing that pops into the bottom bar and it locks the tray in place, im sure yours must have it maybe you never noticed?ours is infront of the door on the bottom of the crate. we are lucky with our 2 as they both have blankets in the cage and they have not eaten them ever! they also get a rawhide in with them and its funny that they never chew on it till they get out of the crate. i hope sniper grows out of her eating stage, i think some huskies never do as Sierra is still a chewer of paper and cloth things, thankfully she has not gotten any thing stuck.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Jenn's right- there should be a "clip" that sort of hooks onto the bottom rail of the crate in front of the door (on the short side) to lock the tray in place. I didn't notice it for a long time.

Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 1:44 pm

I had to get a metal floor.
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 12:41 pm

So we got sniper's staples taken out this am....she done really well....i gave her some sedation meds about an hour before we went so she would be calm. so i think we are out of the woods....she should lay around all day today...yea right! she has been wide open the last 3 days! Thats normal though from being in a crate for 8-10 days! So...glad that step is over with!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 12:44 pm

Congrats Sniper!

Back to top Go down
jay
Newborn
Newborn
jay

Male Join date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 9:32 am

Glad to hear sniper doing better
Back to top Go down
BONFIRE HUSKIES
Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 5:59 pm

DOG PARK TIME bounce
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 9:08 pm

Yay Sniper! Glad she made it through the ordeal. What a worrisome time! As my hubby has said, and I have posted on here before, "You don't train a husky, a husky trains you"...it trains you to NOT leave things on the counter, it trains you to put things out of it's reach, it trains you to make sure all the household doors are closed, etc., etc., etc! We never learn! Razz
So glad she's doing better!
Back to top Go down
jay
Newborn
Newborn
jay

Male Join date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 10:34 pm

Well had to change my Akira's appt til saturday hopefully they can soon figure out whats wrong. You all have been so much help. Yes, I do tell the vet what I have learned from here and the little research I do to. Thank you to all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Under the Knife   Under the Knife - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Under the Knife

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-