It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Loganberry
Newborn
Newborn
Loganberry

Female Join date : 2016-03-28

So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2016 9:29 am

Just remember that he'll be having you up every couple hours to pee for the first couple months, and as he's used to the company he'll cry for you at night for a other few months. You'll be tired a LOT from lack of sleep. Think of the exhaustion of having a new baby, who enters a nippy, willful toddler stage in a couple months, who wants you to play and run as soon as you're home from work. It's a big energy and time commitment. My husband is a runner and he just doesn't have the energy for long runs from lack of sleep. When Logan is dependably giving us a full night's sleep (6 months and still cries at night) we can run him for miles. Now we do the best we can with long walks and playing at a fenced in baseball field. Also until he's matured a bit, he'll be a huge handful when you have company. So, if you're ready for a newborn's sleep schedule plus days with a hyperactive toddler, then yes get a 2-3 month old puppy. Wink
Back to top Go down
Dimis
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2016 9:42 am

Hi Loganberry,

Thanks for your response! You make a good point about the running and the overall fuzziness to expect! I'm not put off about waking up every two hours to take him outside - downstairs rather in my case) especially to help his potty training. One of the reasons that i am planning not to do day care more than once a week when really young and use dog sitters more is because from what i have read potty training can go down the drain when left at day care too much. I never raised a puppy at the 8 weeks old age and if i ever do now seems a much better time in my life as i when i am at home i don't need to attend to a partner or a child.
Back to top Go down
Freyja
Newborn
Newborn
Freyja

Female Join date : 2016-06-13

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2016 6:23 pm

Definitely plan for the worst. However, I have 2 puppies right now (16 and 14 weeks) and it's much easier than I thought it would be . One cried in her crate a lot for the first 2 weeks--ran a fan to block out the noise. Now she loves her crate and runs to get in when I say "crate" and pull out the special treats. My other pup will whine for the first 2 minutes and that's it. He doesn't love the crate yet like my girl but settles down quick. Both sleep through the night without having to go out (since the 2nd week, I've only had to get up once to bring my boy out). No accidents in the crate overnight.

It is a big time commitment but not as bad (at least not yet) as I was expecting. We go on short walls 3x a day (morning, lunch and evening). I do 1/2 hour of individualized training per day. Each has an obedience class once a week. I go to the local puppy playgroup 3x a week (each has their own day and then a joint day).

Overall, I do think my two may be unusually calm for huskies though...they aren't super loud or nippy (though that might change during teething)
Back to top Go down
Kae
Newborn
Newborn
Kae

Female Join date : 2016-07-04

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2016 11:48 pm

My pup is 2 months old and I've only had her for 2 weeks but it sure has been interesting.

The first night she actually slept all night in her crate without whining (she must've been exhausted from the 3 hour drive and experiencing the new environment) She did cry for about 20 minutes the 2nd night and the 3rd she was relatively calm but now she no longer whines. We didn't put the crate in our bedroom because it's a 42" one (with a divider) and honestly I don't have that much space in my room but she is by the door and we do leave the door open.
I think she now understands that the crate is her bed and she will be free in the morning.

Potty training was the most horrible thing ever the first 3 days, I ran out of the Nature's Miracle spray sooner than I had expected. With lots of praise and treats, I was able to get her potty trained within the first week (on training pads) and she has not had an accident since. If we are playing together or if she is playing with a toy on her own and has to go potty, she will stop and run to her area on her own even while holding her toy in her mouth (so cute!) I can honestly say that I trust her when it comes to potty.

I work from home so I'm able to observe her really well and I've noticed how her energy levels change. She is on high energy around 9-10A, low energy 1-2P (she naps for like 3-4 hours around this time), high energy again around 7-8P. Observing the energy levels will help you know what times you should be taking him/her outside for little walks. I can't do that with Jhera yet as she hasn't had her 12 week shot but we play heavy around her high energy times because if not she WILL get the zoomies and start running around in circles all over my apt.
Back to top Go down
Dimis
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 29, 2016 10:40 am

Thanks for sharing your experience so far!
Back to top Go down
Nicole Raslich
Newborn
Newborn
Nicole Raslich

Female Join date : 2016-12-02

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 6 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2020 1:56 pm

I am having the hardest time finding an agouti husky. I am willing to drive out of state to get it (I'm in Michigan) within reason. This will be my 4th husky and possibly my last pup. My 1st pup I picked out when I was about 13. I had him until he passed at 16 years old. We got our 2nd pup a year after we got married and bought our own house, she passed 2 years ago at age 13. Now we have a young male, he'll be 4 in November and we want a pup to enjoy while he is still young and playful. I have always wanted an agouti and tried for a dark mask with this one. As you can see from my profile pic, his dark fur turned a buff color. Does anyone have any recommendations for a breeder who has blue eyed agouti's in the Great Lakes/East/Midwest region?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6