It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! Empty
PostSubject: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 10:58 pm

Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! Chili_14

You guys! So excited! Chili passed his CGC today and we were certified as a therapy dog team! Smile We knew he had an aptitude for it because he's so calm and loves strangers, but so happy we can now share him with the world! Smile Random people come up to us to hug him and he enjoys the attention!

We'll be spending at least an hour a week at a library or elementary school with kids and also helping out at various events at hospitals, nursing homes and colleges (during stressful exam weeks!). Smile

For the new folks - Chili was found as a stray at four years on by a sheriff about an hour from where we live. When he couldn't find Chili's parents, he surrendered him to rescue and we adopted him four days later. Smile He's our big teddy bear and so wonderful! Thank you to Denise for your testing tips, we definitely used those! Smile Frankie is an even MORE impressive specimen of certified husky since he embodies more of the husky spirit than Chili does. You guys were definitely an inspiration for all your hard work! Smile

Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 11:04 pm

Way to go!!! I kind of want to get Yuki certified for that. She doesn't love strangers that much, but when shes senses someone is sick or in pain she runs up to them and will NOT leave their side. Chili is my inspiration for my future red, his coat is gorgeous! Again, congratulations <3 I bet it was lots of hard work that finally paid off Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 11:08 pm

Koda goes to the library on post and has the special needs kids read to him. He loves it!

Congrats Chili!
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

Female Join date : 2012-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 11:11 pm

That's awesome! Congrats!! I'm hoping Luna can become a therapy dog for veterans one day. Right now she has too much puppy in her! Razz
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Way to go!!! I love hearing about huskies doing good deeds like this.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 11:40 pm

Congrats Sam and Chili! That is awesome news!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 11:52 pm

Aw! He's going to be just like Seamus! LOL! Congrats guys!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 12:00 am

Awwww...thanks guys! Smile We're so excited to start! Smile
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 12:13 am

Con grats Sam and Chili great work you two are doing I would love it if one of mine could do that.

Love to read the great news huskies can do something special.
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 12:51 am

Congrats!! I'd love to have Ava do something like that - sometime, haha
Back to top Go down
Charsmom
Teenager
Teenager
Charsmom

Female Join date : 2012-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 8:20 am

Congratulations, great job Sam and Chili.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 9:31 am

WooT!

Bit congratulations to the both of you!!!

~Chris~

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 11:19 am

Congrats! That's awesome!

Side note: Chili looks cross eyed in that picture! The big goof! lol. I'm sure the kids will love him.

Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 2:04 pm

Congrats!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 2:11 pm

That's so awesome!
Congrats to both of you!

Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Congrats! That's such great news Smile
Back to top Go down
Onyx_Blitz
Teenager
Teenager
Onyx_Blitz

Male Join date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 2:48 pm

Excellent! Many congrats to you and Chili.

We are currently in the final training classes for CGC and Therapy dogs with Onyx, its going to be a long road but I feel very worth it in the end to see the smiles they could produce.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 2:55 pm

Thanks guys! Smile I'm referring to him as Mommy's little Good Canine Citizen.

Sara - Chili IS cross eyed! Laughing It's what made hubby fall in love with him at the rescue! We don't notice it much so it may be worse when he's tired.

I think we have our first event booked next week! Since the elementary school season is wrapping up for the year, there are other events set up - so we're helping the kids at the local law school de-stress during exam week! Chili's going to law school! LOL
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 3:06 pm

That sounds like so much fun! How long did it take him to become a CGC? Hopefully one day I can do it with my baby too Smile Let us know how he likes law school!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 3:40 pm

lol. How did I not know that?! I bet the kids will love that he's cross eyed.

Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 3:48 pm

Great Job! thats so exciting! i cant wait to hear all the things you will be doing!

Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 3:50 pm

Dot wrote:
That sounds like so much fun! How long did it take him to become a CGC? Hopefully one day I can do it with my baby too Smile Let us know how he likes law school!

The test is quick and takes just a few minutes, and the therapy certification is just a few tasks added on. You can take the canine good citizen test any time you feel confident in your dog passing all the tasks (http://images.akc.org/pdf/cgc/GK9GC1.pdf). A lot of places offer training for the test or you can just work with your dog at home on the tasks. If you have a more focused and mellow dog, it's really easy. If they're more energetic, you have to expel their energy before training sessions and learn how to get them to focus on the task at hand. Smile

Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Congrats! Smile
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 4:29 pm

Onyx_Blitz wrote:
Excellent! Many congrats to you and Chili.

We are currently in the final training classes for CGC and Therapy dogs with Onyx, its going to be a long road but I feel very worth it in the end to see the smiles they could produce.

Good luck with Onyx! Smile We had a little bit of an advantage since Chili is 6 1/2 and has a super calm temperament, so we can't take much credit for this other than doing consistently training him and socializing him. We take our dogs everywhere and expose them to many different types of people, environments and situations. I think that helped a lot, especially testing with the crowds, walking through a ton of medical equipment and having five people hover over him petting him at the same time.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Heather! wrote:
Dot wrote:

The test is quick and takes just a few minutes, and the therapy certification is just a few tasks added on. You can take the canine good citizen test any time you feel confident in your dog passing all the tasks (http://images.akc.org/pdf/cgc/GK9GC1.pdf). A lot of places offer training for the test or you can just work with your dog at home on the tasks. If you have a more focused and mellow dog, it's really easy. If they're more energetic, you have to expel their energy before training sessions and learn how to get them to focus on the task at hand. Smile

I wish it was that short for us! I was exhausted at the end. I believe it varies by program and evaluator.

Our test combined CGC and therapy tasks. We had 4 groups of 4-5 dogs so the entire test time was about 2 1/2 hrs, with active working time being about 20 minutes of that, so a lot of waiting and making sure your dog behaves during that time - probably a great simulation of actual therapy work!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! Empty

Back to top Go down

Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next