It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 4:40 pm

I did mine solo, that's why it went so quick. I didn't want to do a group testing because I tried that in Arizona before moving here, and the other dogs were freaking out and Koda got so freaked by them he walked me to the door to leave (which he's never done ever, lol). So I made sure this time I tested without a group of others. I am surprised how many people take the test just to see if their dogs can pass without training them at all...
Back to top Go down
Onyx_Blitz
Teenager
Teenager
Onyx_Blitz

Male Join date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 5:32 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:

Good luck with Onyx! Smile We had a little bit of an advantage since Chili is 6 1/2 and has a super calm temperament, so we can't take much credit for this other than doing consistently training him and socializing him. We take our dogs everywhere and expose them to many different types of people, environments and situations. I think that helped a lot, especially testing with the crowds, walking through a ton of medical equipment and having five people hover over him petting him at the same time.

Thanks! Onyx also has a calm temperament, but he gets really excited with people, especially children. We took him to the Renaissance Festival and he was really good with all the people the crowds. It definitely reassured us that he would be able to handle all the people and the would relish in the attention.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 7:11 pm

Congrats that is awesome
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 2:02 am

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 Chili_14

You guys! So excited! Chili passed his CGC today and we were certified as a therapy dog team! Smile We knew he had an aptitude for it because he's so calm and loves strangers, but so happy we can now share him with the world! Smile Random people come up to us to hug him and he enjoys the attention!

We'll be spending at least an hour a week at a library or elementary school with kids and also helping out at various events at hospitals, nursing homes and colleges (during stressful exam weeks!). Smile

For the new folks - Chili was found as a stray at four years on by a sheriff about an hour from where we live. When he couldn't find Chili's parents, he
surrendered him to rescue and we adopted him four days later. Smile He's our big teddy bear and so wonderful! Thank you to Denise for your testing tips, we definitely used those! Smile Frankie is an even MORE impressive specimen of certified husky since he embodies more of the husky spirit than Chili does. You guys were definitely an inspiration for all your hard work! Smile

Awww. Thank you. Congrats to you both! You'll make an excellent therapy team and i hope you enjoy it as much as frankie and i do. It's a very rewarding experience and will strengthen your already existing bond. Congrats again. I'm so happy for you!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 2:25 am

Dee&Frankie wrote:

Awww. Thank you. Congrats to you both! You'll make an excellent therapy team and i hope you enjoy it as much as frankie and i do. It's a very rewarding experience and will strengthen your already existing bond. Congrats again. I'm so happy for you!

Thanks! We're pretty excited, we have our first assignment lined up next week at a college for stressful exam week! Smile He's my heart dog, so anytime I get to spend more time with him and show off how awesome he is, I'm pretty happy about it! Smile
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 2:40 am

Dot wrote:
That sounds like so much fun! How long did it take him to become a CGC? Hopefully one day I can do it with my baby too Smile Let us know how he likes law school!

We didn't take any special classes but have done basic obedience with him since day 1 and are just consistent about keeping it up. He's very calm naturally and nothing much affects him, so it wasn't hard to take him everywhere to acclimate him to kids, crowds, loud noises, etc. We just went to the annual Halloween parade with an estimated 300,000 people and he managed like a trooper! So did the little one. I think a thousand people stopped us for pictures! Smile We also did intro to Agility and Agility 1 classes, which was good to start working as a team in a distracting environment with other people, dogs and strange equipment. He comes with me anywhere dogs are allowed like hardware stores, outdoor patios at restaurants, outdoor malls, crowded festivals, etc. He probably wasn't ready for CGC after our agility classes about a year ago because he was a bit distracted by other dogs, but additional socializing with a ton of different dogs at day care helped a lot.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 2:42 am

Heather! wrote:
I did mine solo, that's why it went so quick. I didn't want to do a group testing because I tried that in Arizona before moving here, and the other dogs were freaking out and Koda got so freaked by them he walked me to the door to leave (which he's never done ever, lol). So I made sure this time I tested without a group of others. I am surprised how many people take the test just to see if their dogs can pass without training them at all...

Ya, I was surprised by the amount of puppies people brought that weren't ready and were terrified of the medical equipment and crowds.

BTW - your new pics are super adorable!!! They're going to make a gorgeous Xmas card!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 2:43 am

SaraB wrote:
lol. How did I not know that?! I bet the kids will love that he's cross eyed.

LOL probably because he always has "bedroom eyes' in pictures! Wink Ladies love Chili! LOL
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 3:16 am

Congratulations to you both!

I always wanted to try to get my dog at home certified to be a therapy dog. She was so sweet and really good with kids, but she was really weird about people touching her feet, so I figured that wouldn't be best.

I'd love for Pippa to be able to be certified one day, she definitely loves people enough, but that will be several years down the road for sure! haha
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:16 am

That's part of the test - they touch the dogs all over, touch their feet and run a brush through their fur. It's just getting them used to it, treats work wonders to help with the training! Smile

Here is a brochure that talks about all the testing requirements:
http://www.tdi-dog.org/images/TestingBrochure.pdf

"TEST 1: ACCEPTING A FRIENDLY STRANGER
This test demonstrates that the dog will allow a friendly
stranger to approach it and speak to the handler in a natural,
everyday situation. The Evaluator and handler shake hands
and exchange pleasantries. The dog must show no sign of
resentment or shyness, and must not break position or try to
go to the Evaluator.
TEST 2: SITTING POLITELY FOR PETTING
This test demonstrates that the dog will allow a friendly
stranger to touch it while it is out with its handler. The dog
should sit at the handler’s side as the Evaluator approaches
and begins to pet the dog on the head and body only. The dog
may stand in place to accept petting. The dog must not show
shyness or resentment.
TEST 3: APPEARANCE AND GROOMING
This practical test demonstrates that the dog will welcome being groomed and
examined and will permit a stranger, such as a veterinarian, groomer, or friend of the owner, to
do so. It also demonstrates the owner’s care, concern, and sense of responsibility. The Evaluator
inspects the dog, then combs or brushes the dog, and lightly examines the ears and each front foot.
TEST 4: OUT FOR A WALK
(WALKING ON A LOOSE LEASH)
This test demonstrates that the handler is in control of the
dog. The dog can be on either side of the handler, whichever
the handler prefers. There must be a left turn, a right turn, and
an about turn, with at least one stop in between and another
at the end. The dog need not be perfectly aligned with the
handler and need not sit when the handler stops.
TEST 5: WALKING THROUGH A CROWD
This test demonstrates that the dog can move about politely
in pedestrian traffic and is under control in public places.
The dog and handler walk around and pass close to several
people (at least three). The dog may show some interest
in the strangers, without appearing overexuberant, shy, or
resentful. The handler may talk to the dog and encourage
or praise the dog throughout the test. The dog should not be
straining at the leash.
TEST 6: SIT AND DOWN ON COMMAND/STAYING
IN PLACE
This test demonstrates that the dog has training, will respond
to the handler’s command to sit and down, and will remain
in the place commanded by the handler (sit or down position,
whichever the handler prefers). The handler may take a
reasonable amount of time and use more than one command
to make the dog sit and then down. When instructed by
the Evaluator, the handler tells the dog to stay and walks
forward the length of a 20-foot line. The dog must remain in
place, but may change position.
TEST 7: COMING WHEN CALLED
This test demonstrates that the dog will come when called
by the handler. The handler will walk 10 feet from the dog,
turn to face the dog, and call the dog. The handler may use
encouragement to get the dog to come. Handlers may choose
to tell the dog to “stay” or “wait,” or they may simply walk
away, giving no instructions to the dog as the Evaluator
provides mild distraction (e.g., petting).
TEST 8: REACTION TO ANOTHER DOG
This test demonstrates that the dog can behave politely
around other dogs. Two handlers and their dogs approach
each other from a distance of about 10 yards, stop, shake
hands and exchange pleasantries, and continue on for about
5 yards. The dogs should show no more than a casual interest
in each other.
TEST 9: REACTIONS TO DISTRACTIONS
This test demonstrates that the dog is confident at all times
when faced with common distracting situations, such as the
dropping of a large book or a jogger running in front of the
dog. The dog may express a natural interest and curiosity
and/or appear slightly startled, but should not panic, try to
run away, show aggressiveness, or bark.
TEST 10: REACTION TO MEDICAL EQUIPMENT
The dog must be tested around medical equipment (such
as wheelchairs, crutches, canes, walkers, or other devices
which would ordinarily be found in a facility) to judge the
dog’s reactions to common health care equipment.
TEST 11: LEAVE-IT
The handler with the dog on a loose leash walks over food
on the ground and, upon command, the dog should ignore
the food.
TEST 12: ACCLIMATION TO INFIRMITIES
This test demonstrates the dog’s confidence when exposed
to people walking with an uneven gait, shuffling, breathing
heavily, coughing, wheezing, or other distractions which
may be encountered in a facility.
TEST 13: SUPERVISED SEPARATION
This test demonstrates that a dog can be left with a trusted
person, if necessary, and will maintain its training and good
manners. Evaluators are encouraged to say something like,
“Would you like me to watch your dog?” and then take hold
of the dog’s leash. The owner will go out of sight for three
minutes. The dog does not have to stay in position but should
not continually bark, whine or pace unnecessarily, or show
anything stronger than mild agitation or nervousness.
TEST 14: SAY HELLO
The TDI Certified Evaluator will test the willingness of each
dog to visit a person and that the dog can be made readily
accessible for petting (i.e., small dogs can be placed on a
person’s lap or can be held; medium and larger dogs can sit
on a chair or stand close to the patient to be easily reached.)
TEST 15: REACTION TO CHILDREN
The dog must be able to work well around all types of
populations, including children. The dog's behavior around
children must be evaluated during testing. It is important that
during the testing the potential Therapy Dog and the children
are not in direct contact. This means the dog can only be
observed for a reaction toward children playing, running, or
present in general at the testing site. Any negative reaction
by the dog will result in automatic failure. Negative reaction
means a dog showing signs of aggression."
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:58 am

Congrats to you and Chili!!! Great job.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 3:07 am

Had our first event on Thursday night at the local Law School during finals week and the students LOOOOVED him! He loved the attention and even rolled over for belly rubs! Smile

We're off to see a stroke patient tomorrow morning at a nursing home, to cheer him up! We'll see who else we can hang out with while we're there!
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 5:53 am

Yay, congrats Chili.
Blake, my son, wants Freya to become a work dog. I'm wanting to get her certification to be a therapy dog as well.
We are up at the hospital all the time and I think it would be great to have her there amongst the kids.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks, guys and good luck, Francine! That'll be awesome for Freya!

Chili hasn't been too active at his new job since he's been so sick and was recovering from surgery, but he went to be introduced to all the kids at the school this week! It's actually safer for him to be around kids than dogs right now while his immune system is weak. I'm very careful with him and limiting him to 1 hour a week working with the kids and he's so happy to get out and get the attention! Smile

Here he is at School! Smile
Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 70358210 The little guy has lost quite a bit of weight and had his chest shaved, so he looks a bit different than you guys remember. Smile

As we walked into the assembly, I heard kids exclaim "OMG! It's a werewolf!". Smile Teehee!

Back to top Go down
Me & Ghost
Puppy
Puppy
Me & Ghost

Female Join date : 2012-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 7:18 pm

He's really beautiful. I would like to put Ghost through the same thing, but I don't know if we have that here in Portugal. I have to check that out.

Good luck to Chili in his new job and recovery Smile
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 7:38 pm

WOOO!! Go Chili! I love you lol such a handsome fella!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 7:45 pm

Such a handsome guy.. I love it that he a therapy dog.. I would like to do that with Blaze but my hubby doesn't want too.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 7:46 pm

Hey Chili!
Help a brother out and mentor Storm! Very Happy

Congratulations, Chili-dog!!!

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 8:13 pm

Thanks, guys! Chili says thank you for the compliments and blushes at the handsome comments. Embarassed

Linda, I hear ya - hubby could have done the testing along with me to also be a certified handler but didn't want to. Smile So Chili and I just go on our own, and Frosti has daddy to herself!

Storm! Chili says "it's not too hard but it was difficult ignoring that hot dog in the test! Those humans tried to trick me! But I get petted all over and it's really nice! Free massage! Smile You should try out, chicks dig a man in uniform!"
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 8:46 pm

I have an other question Do males make better therapy dogs than females or maybe it is the male rescues instead of the female rescues.??

I ask because I can see Blaze become a therapy dog but I have hard time seeing Kerian.

Do you have a opinion Sam??

I really love Chili he is such a stud and beautiful dog.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi Linda - the therapy group has all shapes, sizes, ages and genders of dogs! Smile I don't see one predominant gender and I believe it's all up to temperament. Chili is naturally a very calm dog. You can train a dog to perform certain actions, but it's the unplanned, surprise incidents that a therapy dog needs to react (or rather not react) to. We've exposed him to all kinds of crowds, people, noise, and situations while remaining calm and I haven't seen him startled by anything yet.

Thank you for the compliments! Smile I see you're a fan of the reds! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 9:53 pm

Chili is so handsome! I hope he continues to recover!

Linda, Koda is a therapy dog and Rogue is my service dog. Rogue I would say is actually the one better for the job, but with her being for me personally I can't have her do therapy work. Koda is awesome and mellow as can be, but Rogue has more of that natural talent I guess you could say. She's much more of a people person than Koda. Koda is best with kids and has an interest in being around them so we have him go to the library on post to have handicapped kids read to him or go to the functions for military kids with deployed families and whatnot with CYS.

Last edited by Heather! on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 10:07 pm

Thank you, Heather!! So many talented huskies on this forum! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!   Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chili is now a therapy dog!!! And CGC!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2