It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What kind of Camera?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

What kind of Camera?  Empty
PostSubject: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 4:39 pm

My mom wants to buy me a camera for Christmas, since I love taking pictures of the dogs. I see everyone here post beautiful pictures (mine are all cell phone) and I would like any good recommendations on a high quality camera under $1,000. I was told the Canon T3i and T4i are good. The camera will mainly be used for taking pictures of the dogs, so I guess I'll need an action camera. I don't know anything about camera's, so this is all new to me Smile
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 4:40 pm

I myself like the Canon Rebel Series, but sadly I don't have one yet.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 5:00 pm

I have the Nikon D3100. Callie's photo album (in Other Pets) has a lot of the things I've shot with it. My flickr is xwishyouaway if you want to see how it's done with non-doggy subjects.

I love it, honestly. I got it because I love photography and I wanted to learn how to do my own. I'm no pro and my pictures are just that, pictures, but it's a really good camera for me to learn on. I got mine last summer for about $850 and it came with an 18-55mm lens that I use most often. I also have a 55-200mm. I know Nikon's got new models out so that drops mine down a bit.

It does have action mode. I find that my pictures of Cal come out best when we're outside, if she's moving. If she's sitting still, it doesn't matter where I shoot. I rarely ever use flash, just as a personal preference. I just set the exposure a little higher and then edit my photos to death. If something can't be salvaged, oh well, I only shoot for fun and chances are it's nothing too important that one of my other shots aren't good enough for me.

My friend has one of the Canon Rebels. I don't like how it fits in my hand, but that's my only complaint about it. I would really suggest going to like, Target or something and just grabbing each brand and see how it feels in your hand. The grips on each are different so it really changes things depending on how you grip it and how much you rely on your weak hand to support the weight. I have a personal issue where I can barely hold a glass of water with one hand so I need both hands on my camera. My left is on my lens while I focus but unless I'm quick shooting, then it's mainly helping me support the weight.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 6:23 pm

My hubby shoots with a Nikon D600 mostly. He also has a Nikon D90 which I highly recommend but I don't know if it fits your budget.

Hubby has tried the Canon XSi (I think that was the model?) and was not impressed and has stuck with Nikon's for DSLRs ever since.

I am clueless about shooting anything more complicated than a point and shoot so I use a Canon S90 which was half your budget price when hubby got it for me 2.5 yrs ago.

I'm sure whatever you get will be great.

Newborn
Newborn
Kick

Male Join date : 2012-10-20

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 6:29 pm

I suggest you take this deal now before it ends.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5627108-Canon-EOS-Digital-Rebel-T4i-18MP-SLR-Camera-w-18-55mm-Lens-55-250mm-IS-Lens-699-50-Free-Shipping

For dogs and animals, it's usually the shutter speed that will net you the best pictures since you cannot really guarantee a dog will sit still.

I've seen the D3100 go under the 500 dollar mark now. I use a Canon t2i...but that deal i posted above is smoking hot.

To be honest, most DSLRs are the same, it's the lenses and skill that make a difference.

Also, Canon's have a software hack that can turn your dslr into an amazing piece of recording equipment, but I dont think it has been released for the T4i.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 7:02 pm

Kick wrote:
I suggest you take this deal now before it ends.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5627108-Canon-EOS-Digital-Rebel-T4i-18MP-SLR-Camera-w-18-55mm-Lens-55-250mm-IS-Lens-699-50-Free-Shipping

For dogs and animals, it's usually the shutter speed that will net you the best pictures since you cannot really guarantee a dog will sit still.

I've seen the D3100 go under the 500 dollar mark now. I use a Canon t2i...but that deal i posted above is smoking hot.

To be honest, most DSLRs are the same, it's the lenses and skill that make a difference.

Also, Canon's have a software hack that can turn your dslr into an amazing piece of recording equipment, but I dont think it has been released for the T4i.

Wow that is an awesome deal! Everywhere I've checked so far is $900+
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 7:28 pm

We use a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D which is an old camera but i love it. Though it is the only DSLR i've shot with. It's best feature is it's anti-shake capabilities, It's a good camera for a beginner. We got ours for $150, it was the last one in the store.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 7:38 pm

I have a Canon Rebel XTi, I like it but I think its the lens you have, not the body that matters.

I really want to upgrade to a Nikon though, I miss mine.
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 8:20 pm

I have a Canon Digital Rebel T3i and I LOVE it. My only complaint is that when in video mode, it doesn't auto-focus like other camcorders do. The quality is pristine, but you have to get the hang of manually focusing your subject (not good for a subject that doesn't sit still). From what I've read, the T4i does have autofocus in video mode, but i JUST bought the T3i and it would be ridiculous of me to upgrade so soon.

I have pictures from the T3i over at my blog.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 9:47 pm

You won't go wrong with a Canon or a Nikon, and really there is no need to have a small fortune spent on either of these 2 brands. If your a rookie with cameras you have a good chance of being over whelmed with one of those big fancy pants ones.

I bought the Fujifilm Finepix S1600 a year ago and couldn't be more pleased with what I use it for.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_finepix_s1600_review/
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 9:59 pm

I prefer Nikons, but honestly, the DSLRs are pretty much the same and what is going to make your images better is investing in good quality lenses... and each lense is going to cost you a minimum of usually $300, up to over the price of your camera.

I would look into the Sony or Nikon models that have the switchable lenses. More affordable and more compact. The downer with DSLRs is that they are huge and truly a PITA to get out every time you want to catch a moment, or go hiking, or to the park... that's why I sold mine.
I prefer the P&S that have manual controls similar to DSLRs (usually price around $400) for convenience.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 10:50 pm

Stay away from the Rebel series if you want to have fun and get better. I have a canon Rebel Xsi and while I love my DSLR, I have far outgrown my camera. If I had to do it again I'd bite the bullet and get a better body. Lenses you can always upgrade but will only get as good a picture as the body will allow. The lenses matter- yes. But if I had to do it again I'd buy a good body and beef up my lens collection after.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 12:11 am

arooroomom wrote:
Stay away from the Rebel series if you want to have fun and get better. I have a canon Rebel Xsi and while I love my DSLR, I have far outgrown my camera. If I had to do it again I'd bite the bullet and get a better body. Lenses you can always upgrade but will only get as good a picture as the body will allow. The lenses matter- yes. But if I had to do it again I'd buy a good body and beef up my lens collection after.

I have to agree with this. I also have a rebel T1i and I have also outgrown it. Although, I think it's better to start off with something like the T3i or T4i to your way around the camera, and if you feel the need to upgrade one day you can. If not, you can just stick with buying lenses.
Back to top Go down
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

Male Join date : 2012-10-15

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 12:50 am

I have a Nikon D3100 that replaced an original Canon Digital Rebel. I was happy with the Rebel and would gladly go back to Canon, but I tried Nikon based on the deal. Keep your eye on Amazon during the holidays. I picked up my D3100 two years ago the week after Christmas and before New Years. I think they pull together packages to clear inventory. I got the camera with 18-55mm lens, and additional 55-200mm lens, camera bag, tripod, and some training DVD (never used it) for right around $500, including shipping. Keep in mind that was 2 years ago when the D3100 was new and running around $900 just for the camera & 18-55mm.

Slickdeals and Bensbargains are the best places to watch for deals. If you're familiar with RSS, you can configure a reader (i.e. Google Reader) to pull in the current deals. If you need help, don't hesitate to ask -- and I'll let you know if I see anything come up in the next few weeks.

For DSLRs, get FAST memory. Even more important than how many pictures you can hold is how fast the camera can write them out and take the next one(s). And most importantly, the lens makes a difference. if you get a good camera, don't skimp on the lens. Spend a few extra dollars and get the higher quality lens -- you will notice a difference in your pictures.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://about.me/kevinsutton
Kick
Newborn
Newborn
Kick

Male Join date : 2012-10-20

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 1:52 am

Yeah, if you want to take continuous pictures, which you probably will, at a dog park, sports game, etc, then the you should get at least a class 10 memory card.

They can be had pretty cheap, under 20 bucks for a good size.

The lens that usually comes with a dslr are in the middle. They dont excel in zooming, macro, or anything like that, but they are fine for normal picture taking. In my opinion, it would be a waste to get a dslr just because you would want a camera...but since her budget is at one grand, who am I to say? lol
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 2:04 am

Heather! wrote:
I prefer the P&S that have manual controls similar to DSLRs (usually price around $400) for convenience.

What would be a good example of a good P&S nikon? I'm looking for something like this... a camera that is small for convenience but can still take good action shots at the dog park.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 3:19 am

Does anyone have the Nikon D3200? I'm like 95% I'm getting one for Christmas because I said I liked the facebook sharing feature straight from the camera, and the boyfriend took it as "get jennet this for christmas"
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 3:27 am

Mobezilla wrote:
Heather! wrote:

What would be a good example of a good P&S nikon? I'm looking for something like this... a camera that is small for convenience but can still take good action shots at the dog park.

I have been super pleased with my Nikon AW 100 CoolPix, I use it every time we take the team out on the trail and I get the best action shots from it. Plus it's shock proof (I'm clutzy) so if I drop it, it won't break. And it's waterproof so if I happen to be near a puddle when I drop it you get the idea. LOL

For my dog yard action I have a DSLR Nikon D300s
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 3:48 am

Alright so I'll be looking into coolpix's then Very Happy thanks Lani
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 11:41 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:
Does anyone have the Nikon D3200? I'm like 95% I'm getting one for Christmas because I said I liked the facebook sharing feature straight from the camera, and the boyfriend took it as "get jennet this for christmas"

My mom just got one and it's awesome! One feature I really like about it, is that you can transfer pictures wirelessly to you're smart phone. Smile
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 11:45 pm

arooroomom wrote:

What camera would you buy if you had to do it over again?
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 12:04 am

I have a Nikon D90.
Happy with the quality of images.
I must recommend a lens for this camera: a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX.
It's very fast and good in low light.
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 1:28 am

I would suggest a mirrorless camera. It's [about] as good as a DSLR but in a smaller package and typically cheaper.

I have the Panasonic Lumix G3
You can search on flickr to see the image/video quality. My flickr page has some examples: http://www.flickr.com/photos/duchess_of_candied_apples/sets/72157632250668996/

EDIT: The pictures on my flickr page were taken in very low light so can be a bit shaky at times
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
OvernHusky
Newborn
Newborn
OvernHusky

Female Join date : 2012-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 4:01 am

I use a Canon 30D. Its an older body, but I got a really good deal on it from a friend of mine. I use 3 different lenses on it. The standard 18-50 that comes with it, a 55-200, and a 70-300. I very rarely use the 18-50, mainly because the autofocus on it is broken and I'm not that good at manually focusing. Regardless, I have it with a battery grip attached as well that adds another battery as well as another snap button that makes it easier for portrait photos. I haven't put up any pictures of Gracie Loo with it just yet, but, I will soon. I'm not that good at photography, its just a hobby that I am slowly getting into.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 10:03 pm

I'm going to have to disagree with Arooroomom. I love the Rebel Series.

Throughout the family we have all sorts of Canons - from our cheap Rebel T2i to a 5D Mark III. For work I use a collection of Nikon DSLRs and I can't really say I'm ever wanting for more than my T2i has to offer in daily use. We've even used it for some professional shoots at work in a pinch.

With the entry DSLRs you are missing some features (full frame, better Auto-Focus, etc) but the image quality is great if you put a good piece of glass in front of it.

People rely on equipment far too much - my advice, get a Rebel T2i (or T3i if you plan on doing much video - only because of the flip-out LCD) or an entry Nikon DSLR and then spend some money you saved on a few good books. Just about any camera out on the market today is capable of taking a good photo, it's up to you to learn how to frame a shot, understand composition, lighting, and then you can start worrying about what the pro features are you are missing on your camera. Some of the best photos I've ever taken are on an old Konica Minolta film camera without a single automated feature to speak of.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What kind of Camera?    What kind of Camera?  Empty

Back to top Go down

What kind of Camera?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next