It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 11:48 pm

Cute. Cuuuute. Oh god..cute...ahhh..
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 1:48 am

He is such a cutie!!
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 1:54 am

Also, I see that addition to your profile picture, sneaky haha. I love it-totally sums up what waiting for the puppy is like!
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 11:09 am

LOL thanks! My husband thought I was crazy for spending the time photoshopping it but I was like SHUT UP YOU DONT KNOW MY LIFE.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 1:38 pm

Lol! Seriously!! I'm pretty sure waiting for Korra ruined my GPA...
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 1:44 pm

Dot wrote:
Lol! Seriously!! I'm pretty sure waiting for Korra ruined my GPA...

ROFLROFLROFL!
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Hola and Felizidadez everyone!

I've been on vacation in South Texas with my family for the past week and a half or so, so it's been harder to maintain an active social life online because I've been maintaining a real life social life back at home, HA!

We got 6 week and 7 week picture updates from our breeder (posted on the first post). We get to pick him up in just 7 more days! YAY!

Hope everyone had a great holiday and have a great new year!

-dgc
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 2:38 am

Brought pup home today. Brief narrative and new pics on OP. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 2:40 am

My gosh he's adorable. Glad you have him home <3
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:49 am

Too cute! Glad the car ride went well.
Korra is the same way Smile Super snuggly. However, she does NOT like to be alone. Work on it early! I've only had her for 3 weeks and I still wish I'd started earlier lol.
I look forward to more pictures! He has the most stunning eyes.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 12:24 pm

He's so adorable! Can't wait to see what he looks like full grown!
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 12:25 pm

His first night went well enough. He had 1 accident. I guess he was overwhelmed with being here. He's still quite timid. Tail down and straight. He ate quickly but wouldn't drink any water until after his accident. We cleaned up and keep the soiled paper towels outside.

He has no interest in his toys (or us for that matter). All he does is walk around and smell EVERYTHING, which lead to us not catching his need to go potty.

We went upstairs and put him in his crate and he curled into his ball and fell asleep immediately. He woke us up with whimpering twice, but he was quickly calmed with my husband going "tsh-tsh" and hanging his hand over the side of the bed.

Took him out to potty at 5am.

Woke up at 8am again, fed breakfast via hand through the crate. We opened the crate door halfway through the meal and he was half in half out still eating. Then lots of exploring our bedroom. Accident #2 occurred (our bad, still learning his schedule).

It's now 9:22am and he's gone potty outside like 4 times today.

He's asleep on my lap right now as I type this. Puppy nap time.

He still seems REALLY timid. Like we'll both be sitting on the living room floor trying to play with him and he'll just sit and start whimpering/crying/howling. I'm hoping he adjusts soon so we can see his personality come out and so he can trust us. I'm hoping the hand feeding will help him trust us quickly.

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 1:10 pm

You got lucky that he sleeps soundly in his crate at night! However, when he whimpers in the middle of the night, he probably has to pee. Remember he is only 2 months old. As a rule of thumb, he's only physically capable of holding it in with his small bladder for about one hour per month of age. So he really should be going out to pee once every 2 hours at this point. He MIGHT be able to hold it a little longer, but forcing him to do so could be damaging. So, make sure you and your husband make a schedule and get him outside to pee more often Smile You'll probably see less accidents.

His behavior isn't surprising. Be patient with him and don't force him. Remember that looking him in the eyes is a sign of aggression. Meaning it's a challenge to him. I know it seems weird, but try NOT playing with him. I would kind of ignore him most of the day except to feed him and let him out. It's counter-intuitive to us, but it will help him get used to you a bit quicker because you become less intimidating. Does that make sense?

He sounds like a normal puppy and I'm sure he'll be very happy with you Smile

Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 1:35 pm

Koda wrote:
You got lucky that he sleeps soundly in his crate at night! However, when he whimpers in the middle of the night, he probably has to pee. Remember he is only 2 months old. As a rule of thumb, he's only physically capable of holding it in with his small bladder for about one hour per month of age. So he really should be going out to pee once every 2 hours at this point. He MIGHT be able to hold it a little longer, but forcing him to do so could be damaging. So, make sure you and your husband make a schedule and get him outside to pee more often Smile You'll probably see less accidents.

His behavior isn't surprising. Be patient with him and don't force him. Remember that looking him in the eyes is a sign of aggression. Meaning it's a challenge to him. I know it seems weird, but try NOT playing with him. I would kind of ignore him most of the day except to feed him and let him out. It's counter-intuitive to us, but it will help him get used to you a bit quicker because you become less intimidating. Does that make sense?

He sounds like a normal puppy and I'm sure he'll be very happy with you Smile

Holy wow, that is VERY helpful. I thought looking him in his eyes would help him get to know us. We say his name every time he looks at us. I figured it'd also help him learn his name.

The breeder was crate training him for the last few weeks. We didn't get in until super late so he went out at midnight and then again at 5am. We'll set alarms every 2-2.5 hours then move to every 3 hours and so forth.

Ignoring him will be hard, but we'll just keep him in the same room as us as we go about our day. He's still sleeping on my lap. It's been about an hour already, lol.

Thanks you SO much for the advice. I just read your comment out loud to Dave (hus) and he's like "OH WOW, OK!". haha.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 1:54 pm

DanielleCortez wrote:
We say his name every time he looks at us. I figured it'd also help him learn his name.
That's a good habit to get into while he is young. Keep it up Smile

DanielleCortez wrote:
The breeder was crate training him for the last few weeks. We didn't get in until super late so he went out at midnight and then again at 5am. We'll set alarms every 2-2.5 hours then move to every 3 hours and so forth.
I think that will help him-- less accidents and a happier puppy Smile

DanielleCortez wrote:
Ignoring him will be hard, but we'll just keep him in the same room as us as we go about our day. He's still sleeping on my lap. It's been about an hour already, lol.
You don't have to completely ignore him, but don't try so much to engage him. You'll see better results letting him come to you. Start practicing Nothing In Life Is Free so that you remain the source of all things good and don't try so hard to play with him and I think you'll see him turn around soon Smile

DanielleCortez wrote:
Thanks you SO much for the advice. I just read your comment out loud to Dave (hus) and he's like "OH WOW, OK!". haha.
That's what we are here for Smile You'll be fine. Read up on the forum. There are a lot of great puppy threads here that give a ton of useful information when training a puppy.

Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 4:17 pm

Last edited by DanielleCortez on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 4:34 pm

bounce omg HE'S ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 4:58 pm

He's so cute! I love you
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Oh gosh, he is just so precious.

DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 8:42 pm

New pictures on the OP. I'm making a bad habit of posting pictures every day. Sorry, y'all. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 2:35 pm

So, after 4 nights of having Kingsley with us, his personality is coming out a LOT more. He is no longer the shy, timid puppy that we saw on Day 1.

I want to brag about my dog.

Crate:
He doesn't cry in his crate. Ever. If he *starts* to whine, we go "sh sh" and he stops after about 30 seconds. This only happens in the morning when he's ready to wake up.

We feed his meals in his crate. Instead of placing him in there, I open the door and he'll voluntarily walk in and lay down before I close the door. Then we walk away and go downstairs so he doesn't get used to us ALWAYS being around. When he's done, he curls up in a ball and goes to sleep. Instead of placing him in there, I open the door and he'll voluntarily walk in and lay down before I close the door. I usually have to go up and wake him up to force him to go outside and relieve himself before he has the chance to wake up on his own and realize he needs to go (thus, avoiding him crying).

Night time:
He sleeps through the entire night (in said crate). We wake him up to take him outside. When it's time to come back inside, he falls right back to sleep.

House Breaking: On Day 1, 2, & 3, he had 2 accidents in the house, all of which were either my fault (or my husbands). Not keeping a close enough eye on him, not taking him out IMMEDIATELY after a long nap, etc.

Yesterday he only had 1 accident, YAY! And it was ALL my husband's fault.

Kingsley does the cutest thing. When we take him outside, he'll sniff around, pee, and then trot back to the door and sit until I open the door. Then I'll open it and he'll walk inside and sit until I take off his leash. Then he goes into Puppy Playtime mode. He'll get the zoomies and run around the HARDWOOD floor, slipping and sliding into walls and chairs, and then lie down on the carpet.

/brag

And now here are some things that we need to work on.

Biting: Playful nips + puppy teeth = actual real yelps of pain. He stops immediately and lays down when I yell when he bites me, but he forgets a few minutes later starts nipping again. We immediately shove toys in his mouth (which he LOVES), we ignore and end play time, etc. I know he's just a puppy and it's gonna take some time, so I'm not complaining.

Jumping up and scratching doors/cabinets when he smells food: It's annoying. We ignore him, push him down saying DOWN!, he'll lay down (again for a few minutes, then he forgets and starts up again). It's a work in progress.

Smile Happy Friday, y'all.
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 4:38 pm

He is just so cute! Sounds like you are off to a great start. I'm so happy for you!
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 7:08 pm

Here's a link to a personal blog entry with a handful of new photos.
New pictures!
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 11:29 pm

DanielleCortez wrote:
LOL thanks! My husband thought I was crazy for spending the time photoshopping it but I was like SHUT UP YOU DONT KNOW MY LIFE.

Hahahaha I know the feeling. I went husky crazy waiting for kiba to be 8 weeks so we could get her...my husband thought I was a nutty dog lady bc I was so excited
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 11:35 pm

Dude those eyes!!! Que cosita mas linda Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*    Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Kingsley's Scrapbook UPDATE 8/1*

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next