It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Crate training questions.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

Crate training questions. Empty
PostSubject: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 2:38 am

Ok so koda is workin on crate training.. The frst 2 nights i had him my brother was home for the weekend and i didnt want him to cry to much to keep him up, cause he would get pissed at me even though i told him he should stay at his gf cuz the pup will probably whine. Anyway for most of those 2 nights koda slept in bed wit me and did pretty good.. But i dont want that to be how he sleeps. Specially since he pup i feel he will get to atached to me... So tonite its all crate.. I put him im at about 10:00. And he woke up at 11 so i took him outside to potty and put hil right back in.. Is that right? Cause te first 2 nights he uually wanted to play after he woke up. Then would fall back asleep after a few min of play.. Another question is about how old are the pups when they start realizing te crate is a safe place to sleep and not to be upset bout it? Im not gonna lie the first 2 nights i barley sleept. I understand its like having a baby, and i dont mind it.. Just was wondering.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 3:03 am

Not going to lie, I didn't sleep the first MONTH I had Yuki. She was constantly waking me up and wanting to play in the middle of the night. Shes 5 months now and her crate is her safe place, although sometimes if shes wants to I'll let her sleep with me. I think one of the things that helped me is I feed her in her crate. Lil glutton loves the crate now. I also put her peanut butter kongs and bully sticks in the crate whenever I give her one. I mainly did this to keep her away from Cloud, who doesn't have a crate, so he can enjoy his treats on the couch in peace.

Anyway, it may take a week, it may take a couple months. I would suggest starting to put treats/toys in the crate, try working on commands to have him go in there himself. Yuki's command is 'in' and she immediately goes into her crate and sits and waits for me to close it. Yuki still whines from time to time if she still wants to play and doesn't want to go to bed yet, but then I say 'enough' and she quiets down. I taught her enough when she used to whine in her crate at bed time, and when I said enough if she stopped I would give her a treat.
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

Male Join date : 2012-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 3:18 am

Ericobeasto wrote:
Ok so koda is workin on crate training.. The frst 2 nights i had him my brother was home for the weekend and i didnt want him to cry to much to keep him up, cause he would get pissed at me even though i told him he should stay at his gf cuz the pup will probably whine. Anyway for most of those 2 nights koda slept in bed wit me and did pretty good.. But i dont want that to be how he sleeps. Specially since he pup i feel he will get to atached to me... So tonite its all crate.. I put him im at about 10:00. And he woke up at 11 so i took him outside to potty and put hil right back in.. Is that right? Cause te first 2 nights he uually wanted to play after he woke up. Then would fall back asleep after a few min of play.. Another question is about how old are the pups when they start realizing te crate is a safe place to sleep and not to be upset bout it? Im not gonna lie the first 2 nights i barley sleept. I understand its like having a baby, and i dont mind it.. Just was wondering.

It's very tempting to let them sleep with you but there are few reasons why you shouldn't. I'm sure someone will come along and list them. This forum is filled with informative people that will give you helpful advice. Just be consistent and try and get him back to sleep as soon as you can when he wakes up to potty. Speaking as someone who loves sleep more than almost anything else.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 3:25 am

SkylerWest wrote:
It's very tempting to let them sleep with you but there are few reasons why you shouldn't. I'm sure someone will come along and list them. This forum is filled with informative people that will give you helpful advice. Just be consistent and try and get him back to sleep as soon as you can when he wakes up to potty. Speaking as someone who loves sleep more than almost anything else.

I was going to let Yuki sleep with me as a puppy but then she pee'd on my bed, twice! LOL she was banished to the crate after that.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:39 am

Some people say that putting something in the crate that smells like you (old shirt?) can help, just be sure he won't ingest whatever you put in there.

Treats are a great way too.
Korra loves the chicken flavored Pet Botanicals training treats (1/2 cal per treat). I'll lure her in with one and say "Go Home." She used to try to bolt out after she got her treat. I fixed that by closing the door faster than she could escape and then giving her a treat through the door. Now, she will sit in the crate and wait for me to close the door so she gets more yummies.

I also use "Enough," and taught it the same way Megan did.

Also, I don't let anyone (myself included) bother Korra while she is in her crate. Essentially, it is her invisible spot. When she insisted on sleeping outside of her crate, I'd gently mess with her ears, play with her, pet her, take pictures, etc. Then move her to her crate and leave her in peace. She figured out that if she wants good sleep, the crate is the place to be, lol. She still prefers to nap at my feet, but at night when she's tired she'll go in.

She likes to play after potty breaks at night as well. The first few nights I played with her when she got up for a few minutes until she'd fall asleep, and then I realized I didn't want that to be a habit.

Here is how I've dealt with it: I let her walk outside to potty, she potties, she walks inside herself, aaaaand then I scoop her up quickly and drop her in her crate. Haha. That way she doesn't wake herself up too much. She will knock out right away when I do that. After we did that for a week, I let her walk back sometimes and carry her sometimes (so she doesn't grow up expecting to be carried to bed!) She now knows that after potty she still has to sleep and it's not play time.

Koda can probably hold it more than an hour if you're taking away food and water before bedtime. When I take Korra out, it is on my time. I don't want her thinking that anytime she feels like going outside at 2am, she can. I wake her a few times a night to pee and have been slowly increasing the intervals.

Sorry for the essay..hope there is something helpful in here!
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:00 am

Thank you guys!!! Ya he just got me up for another potty break lol..
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 3:45 pm

When I got Nikko he was 9 weeks old. The first week he did nothing but whine at night, and I had to get up every 2-3 hours to take him outside. After the first week I thought I was going to loose my mind, and I talked to my vet….

He said the dog was training ME! Even young puppies should be able to hold it most of the night. So some tips I used before bed time:

About 2 hours before bed, take the water away, and don’t feed them too late. I fed mine at 6am, noon and 6pm. At 8pm I took the water away and we went to bed at 10pm.

Make sure they are tired when you go to bed. If they spent the whole evening napping, then they will want to play when you want to sleep. We always went on a walk around 8-9pm and had a lot of playtime before bed.

After the first few weeks he was sleeping through the night! Although I started letting him sleep in my bed when he was about 6 months old.

With Yukon, he was a bit different. He would sleep through the night except for the first couple nights, but would wake me up at like 4am! This went on for a couple of months. It was pretty exhausting! Once he was like 4-5 months old I just let him on the bed with Nikko and me. He will sleep through the night now.

They both had bad separation anxiety and did not want to go in their crates. What I did was always gave them a treat they loved when they go in their crate, such as boiled chicken or a liver treat. I also give them some toys to play with in their crates that they can’t destroy, such as a kong. Now they will go in their crates without issue.

Good luck! Koda is stunning!
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Male Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 3:59 pm

knock on wood, the first night was the only bad night with my Nikko. I probably should have taken him out during the night for a bathroom break, but I wanted him to learn that crate and nighttime equals sleep. So I never took him out, and he never cried to go out, except 2 different times at 3am when he had the runs, so I took him out then of course :p He's slept through the night since day 2. I just ignore him whenever he whines in the crate. At night he doesn't whine when I put him in, but he will for 10 minutes when I put him in during the day, but then he's fine. Just be persistent and be more stubborn than he is haha
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:18 pm

haha yes they are stubborn, thats for sure! Sucks he has the runs too, I dealt with that for months with both mine until they got to be about 6 months old. I would say that is the age it gets easier, 6 months. So only 2 more to go for you! LOL. Hang in there! And BTW he is a handsome boy! I love his mask!
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:26 pm

Oh he's fine now. It was just a couple random nights. I feel like I'm copying you. First Nikko, and I plan on getting an all white sibling for him in a few months if the circumstances are right haha.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:31 pm

HAHA not at all, I LOVE the all white ones too, they are soo cute. Just don't name him Yukon LOL just kidding!

I got Yukon when Nikko was about 9 months old, and I was afraid that it would create chaos, but Nikko actually got so much better after that. They were able to keep each other busy, and that kept Nikko out of trouble (for the most part!). He has had his moments but I wouldn't trade it for the world!

I really want a 3rd one, but I just don't have the room for another one, but in a few years hopefully I will get a bigger place and I'll get a red one!
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:39 pm

Nikko will probably be close to a year old if not a little older when I get a second. Hopefully I'll have a house by then. I'm not gonna get a puppy though. Too much money and frustration. One puppy is enough for a few years haha. I'm definitely going to adopt one that hopefully has no issues.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:44 pm

I don’t blame you at all! Before I decided on Yukon we took Nikko on several visits with other dogs to adopt, and we never really found the right fit. Plus, it is very hard to find an all white one, especially around here. Even finding a white puppy was difficult; I ended up driving 4 ½ hours to Michigan to get Yukon!

The puppy stages are sooo much work though! I was exhausted!
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:46 pm

Oooohh yea. Nikko is pushing all my buttons and then some! He won't stop jumping on chairs and the couch and what not. It's constant. Little turd haha
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:49 pm

Well…I’m a bad dad because I gave up along time ago, and I let them on the couch. I could not imagine trying to get them to stop HAHA. I also let them sleep in my bed so they are VERY spoiled. But Nikko likes to chew on things. So far he has chewed up a brand new universal remote, an Otter Box I-phone case (they are NOT husky proof!), a couple of hats, some pieces of carpet…and things that I can’t remember at the moment. If he is in a mood he will wait until I am not watching and take something he isn’t supposed to have, and you can tell when you return if he has something the way he guards it.
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:53 pm

Sounds like mine lol. He doesn't really chew things he's not supposed to, but the second I leave the room to use the bathroom he'll jump on the couch, grab my phone, chew on a water bottle, etc. everything he's not supposed to do, he does when I'm not in the room haha
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 6:23 pm

Garebear wrote:
Sounds like mine lol. He doesn't really chew things he's not supposed to, but the second I leave the room to use the bathroom he'll jump on the couch, grab my phone, chew on a water bottle, etc. everything he's not supposed to do, he does when I'm not in the room haha

Ughh! I hate work..anyway

Sounds like both our Nikko's not only look similar they act alike too LOL. He does the exact same thing in the morning. I leave for a few minutes to go to the bathroom and I come back and he will be sitting on the couch chewing on my shoe!. Another thing he does is if he wants your attention and you ignore him, he will go to the kitchen, and grab the dish towel sitting on the counter and run around with it in his mouth! He has been getting worse at counter surfing; the other day I put some old bologna in the sink and forgot to run the garbage disposal, and I went back a few minutes later, and guess what, it was GONE!
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Haha that's funny. My Nikko isn't THAT bad. I'm trying to at least some what control him haha
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:35 pm

Wow i take him out every time he wakes up in the middle of the night which is about every hour lol.. I guess that will have to start changing lol
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 11:07 pm

Ericobeasto wrote:
Wow i take him out every time he wakes up in the middle of the night which is about every hour lol.. I guess that will have to start changing lol

Yeah I did that at first with Nikko and my vet pretty much said I was nuts. Take the water away 2 hours before bed and make sure they are tired at bedtime !
Back to top Go down
madisonmenece
Puppy
Puppy
madisonmenece

Male Join date : 2012-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 11:20 pm

when we got Arya we allowed her to spend her first night in our bedroom but in her crate and after that in the kitchen in her crate. The first two nights she did do allot of howling and whining but not much after that.

at the start we went to bed later taking her to the toilet at the latest possible time, one of us would then get up in the middle of the night to take her out approx 3 hours later. Whoever didn't get up in the middle of the night then got up that bit earlier in the morning.

over two and half - three weeks we increased the length of time between going to bed and getting up until she was okay without a middle of the night trip out.

we never fed her after 6, this meant we could reduce her water intake closer to bed time as she would already of had time hydrate and just place 1 or 2 ice cubes in water bowl, she would just spill water over her bed rather than drink it anyway.

hope it goes well for you, after 6/7 weeks or less you will be back to a normal sleep routine...almost
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 12:51 am

Thank you guys for all the tips.. Its not that i mind waking up in the middle of the night. Or even early in the morn. I just need atleas like 3 to 4 hours of constant sleep.. I cant do this hour asleep 30mim awak all nite and have to wake up early.. I did plan for this to happen and it doesnt bother me.. I just hope it doesnt last too long lol.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Koda did alot better last night in his crate! I picked his food up around 9 and e went to bed around 11 and went potty right before bed.. He was so tired when i put him to bed he didt cry at all..he wole up crying after about 3 hours i tool him out.. Then he whined for avout 5min and fell asleep again.. He then woke up avout 1and half hours later, i took him out again. And this time he whined for bout 20min he whines more the more awake he is.. But then this morning i actually had to wake him up because i had to get ready for work.. So there was alot of improvment tonite.. Hopefully it keeps getting a little better.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Good to hear! You still see improvements as time goes on, and even if you have a bad night don't get discouraged! It does get better
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 12:51 pm

Yay! Sounds like a pretty successful night to me Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crate training questions.   Crate training questions. Empty

Back to top Go down

Crate training questions.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next