It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

huskies in warmer areas

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

huskies in warmer areas Empty
PostSubject: huskies in warmer areas   huskies in warmer areas EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 9:32 pm

We'll I've been looking at moving for a few years now, the only thing is i'll be moving out of state to a much warmer area (i currently live in southern new jersey, for those of you unaware), looking at the georgia/florida area... no solid choice has been made yet but thats what im looking at.

However my main concern is my husky blu, how do i keep him nice cool and comfortable? im sure they can and do thrive in the southern states as i've seen some people with huskies in those states (on tv, breeders and husky rescues) but im wondering how i would keep him cool, especially in the summer months. i personally love and do take blu everywhere with me (he's become more a part of me then just a dog anymore, and i hate having to go places without him... i start to miss him even if im away for an hour lol) but if it's warmer out im assumeing i should keep him in air concidtioning more often and not exercise him as much? i was thinking maybe doing water activities but the only problem is he hates the water, unless he's drinking it... otherwise i would think a nice sized kiddie pool would work too (maybe a 2 foot deep?).

anyway suggestions and any input/advise would be appriciated. Smile
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: huskies in warmer areas   huskies in warmer areas EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 9:41 pm

I lived in Arizona for the first 3 years of Koda's life, and we visit there a few times a year- and we will be moving back in 13 months. Oddly, my dogs love AZ way more than CO.

Both of mine sunbathe in 115 degree weather. Go outside, enjoy the sun, and then come in to the AC and lay on the tile to cool off, repeat. They like dipping their paws in our pool, but no more than that.

We did our walks before the sun came up and after it came down. They get tired of their walks quicker than when it's cool. I can honestly walk them as long as it's under 100. We went to the park with Koda often at 98 degrees because in the most intense part of summer, it pretty much didn't go lower until late, late, late at night. Just stayed for 20 minutes instead of an hour like we'd do in winters.
Had kongs frozen with various things as a cool treat- plus dog ice cream or "smoothies" I froze.

I never had an issue with it. Rogue adapted fine to being in Arizona in June and was raised in CO. They like the heat and come in when it gets too much for them to cool off.

You can't be keeping him in the car though- if it's over about 65 degrees they shouldn't be in the car. I worked with Koda so he literally went everywhere with me, but I usually convinced people to let me bring him in OR I brought two sets of keys and left my car on but locked if it was a quick in and out deal.

Mine love the kiddy pools. They dig those even in the winter.

We have a lot of people from Florida on here.
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: huskies in warmer areas   huskies in warmer areas EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 10:55 pm

oh ok, not so bad then i guess. (lol i just looked at blu asked him if he'd like a pool, he just looked at me grumbled and scurried off into the back of his crate and curreled in a ball).

i useually dont leave him in the car (unless im just popping in to grab some smokes or milk or something) i even take him inside with me when i go to work, and he useually has an area with his bed and bowls and toys that he hangs out in for the mayjority of the day (i work construction) although he's starting to get a rap for stealing tools out of my tool belt when he wants my attention. although when i move i'll be switching jobs so i dont think i'll be able to take him with me to work so i'll either leave him home (which i hate the thought of) or i'll leave him with my aunt so he can play with her dogs and hang out there.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: huskies in warmer areas   huskies in warmer areas EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 1:46 am

I'm in FL and we actually have at least 4 local and active "snowdog" groups that I know of. One in central FL (my group), one in south FL, one near Jacksonville, and one near Tampa. So, yeah, siberians can do well in hot states. Because of the heat, our meet ups are usually start at 8:30am. My girls are inside most of the time and they do fine with just the AC.

huskies in warmer areas Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Luna's_Mommy
Newborn
Newborn
Luna's_Mommy

Female Join date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Re: huskies in warmer areas   huskies in warmer areas EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 6:46 pm

I live in south FL and our Husky Luna was born in Miami, along with 4 generations before her. Her breeder told me (and at first I was skeptical but I actually do believe it now) that because she is 4th gen Miami born, her coat has actually adapted to warmer weather. She has the softest coat of any Husky I've ever met and also isn't bothered much by the hot and humid summer months. Of course we are more careful when it's 85, 90 degrees outside as far as when and how far we walk her, but compared to a Husky in our neighborhood that is from a breeder up north, it seems like she is a non-shedding Husky! We pet the other one and our hands are covered, where with Luna she really only shed badly this year when she lost her puppy fur over the summer and got her coarser fur. Every time I walk Luna, people ask, "Shouldn't she be in Alaska?" and after a while of explaining that she's really fine, blah blah blah, now I just give them a little pity smile and keep walking. She loves the beach and lays in the water and swims laps with my husband when it's really hot out. Good luck with your move!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: huskies in warmer areas   huskies in warmer areas EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 6:49 pm

Luna's_Mommy wrote:
I live in south FL and our Husky Luna was born in Miami, along with 4 generations before her. Her breeder told me (and at first I was skeptical but I actually do believe it now) that because she is 4th gen Miami born, her coat has actually adapted to warmer weather. She has the softest coat of any Husky I've ever met and also isn't bothered much by the hot and humid summer months. Of course we are more careful when it's 85, 90 degrees outside as far as when and how far we walk her, but compared to a Husky in our neighborhood that is from a breeder up north, it seems like she is a non-shedding Husky! We pet the other one and our hands are covered, where with Luna she really only shed badly this year when she lost her puppy fur over the summer and got her coarser fur. Every time I walk Luna, people ask, "Shouldn't she be in Alaska?" and after a while of explaining that she's really fine, blah blah blah, now I just give them a little pity smile and keep walking. She loves the beach and lays in the water and swims laps with my husband when it's really hot out. Good luck with your move!

Hey! We're in Miami too! I'm right near Coral Gables and Coconut Grove! Have you joined the SFL Snowdogs? There's actually a meet up tomorrow morning in Davie!
Back to top Go down
Luna's_Mommy
Newborn
Newborn
Luna's_Mommy

Female Join date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Re: huskies in warmer areas   huskies in warmer areas EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 6:50 pm

No way! I have been looking for meetups!!! I'm in Palm Beach but we got her from a breeder in Hialeah. Can you PM me the info for the meetup? I'll show my husband. Thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: huskies in warmer areas   huskies in warmer areas EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 6:52 pm

I live in Nevada, and it's very dry and hot here..however Lake tahoe is 20 mins away so I often take them to the lake so they can cool off.
On our hot dry days, I just fill up the kiddie pool and they go crazy.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: huskies in warmer areas   huskies in warmer areas EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 7:11 pm

Luna's_Mommy wrote:
No way! I have been looking for meetups!!! I'm in Palm Beach but we got her from a breeder in Hialeah. Can you PM me the info for the meetup? I'll show my husband. Thanks! Smile

Sure thing!
Back to top Go down
Wolfbandit
Puppy
Puppy
Wolfbandit

Female Join date : 2012-10-16

PostSubject: Re: huskies in warmer areas   huskies in warmer areas EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 11:42 pm

Another Fl husky owner here.

My general rule of thumb is this: if it's too hot outside for me to be comfortable, then it's too hot for my pups. Exercising happens either in the morning or evening and if we're outside during the hottest part of the day, lots of water is provided along with lots of shade. Mine pretty much live inside, though.

Also, kiddie pools are awesome. Go get a 20$ one from Walmart and fill it up with water. I guarantee you that your pup will dive right into that water and lay in it when it gets hot outside.

The biggest thing I can't help but emphasize here is give plenty of water, always. FL and GA get hot, and dehydration can happen quickly.

As for the breeding in different location thing, Steele was bred in Tennessee and does just fine down here in FL. He sheds his coat twice, and that is only when he blows coat. Jenna, I'm assuming, was bred in FL and actually sheds more than Steele. I'm guessing it's because of her being neglected and abused and still regrowing her proper coat, but that' my two cents on that. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: huskies in warmer areas   huskies in warmer areas Empty

Back to top Go down

huskies in warmer areas

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1