It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Gah the shedding sucks, tips?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

Gah the shedding sucks, tips? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gah the shedding sucks, tips?   Gah the shedding sucks, tips? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 11:13 pm

eluke81 wrote:
save the hair - there are places on the internet that you can send the hair to and they will make knitted gifts out of your dogs hair! pretty cool I thought........ its like gathering wool from a sheep Smile

Do you remember the name? I have a 32 gallon trash can full of nothing but Nanook's undercoat from his recent shed.
Back to top Go down
eluke81
Puppy
Puppy
eluke81

Female Join date : 2012-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Gah the shedding sucks, tips?   Gah the shedding sucks, tips? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 11:34 pm

Here are a few places I see on the internet - not sure who is still doing it though.......... good luck, post what you have made if you do it please!! Also, there are alot of books to teach you to do it yourself if you are into knitting or crafts like that. I'm not good at that stuff..........

http://www.customdoghairspinning.com/

http://wrapcandy.com/hobbies-and-crafts/Use-Your-Dogs-Hair.php

http://www.roverscomb.com

http://www.mtfiberfolk.com/
Back to top Go down
eluke81
Puppy
Puppy
eluke81

Female Join date : 2012-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Gah the shedding sucks, tips?   Gah the shedding sucks, tips? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 11:39 pm

Also, I think you need to be careful with a husky's undercoat........... my girl always kinda yiped if hers got pulled - it gets tangled easily and is connected to their skin......... I always just used a brush like I would on my long hair - or a roller pin type comb thing.....- never tried a furminator though....

once I got all the loose hair out - i would brush her long top fur back and forth and in circles - like a massage with treats so she loved to get brushed after a while - and would lay there all night if I kept it up

Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Gah the shedding sucks, tips?   Gah the shedding sucks, tips? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:21 am

Are slicker brushes okay to use on huskies? I've never used one on Sheba before.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Gah the shedding sucks, tips?   Gah the shedding sucks, tips? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:38 am

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
Are slicker brushes okay to use on huskies? I've never used one on Sheba before.
I wouldn't see why not Smile I use them on mine.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Gah the shedding sucks, tips?   Gah the shedding sucks, tips? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 2:20 pm

Dog hair yarn is called cheingora - it can command a high price in the right crowd. Scandinavian countries used to use cheingora exclusively until the Spaniards introduced sheep. It's super warm (since the undercoat is hollow it insulates better than wool). Some dogs are better suited for it than others, particularly due to the staple length (length of the fibers). It's a pretty simple process to wash it, and card it it to prepare it for spinning.

If you aren't into the spinning approach you could always felt the dog hairs. Using a wet felting technique would work better.

We use an undercoat rake, a slicker brush, and a brush like this:

Gah the shedding sucks, tips? - Page 2 ShedMonster-closeup
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Gah the shedding sucks, tips?   Gah the shedding sucks, tips? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Melissa911 wrote:
Ok so i'm going to get a undercoat rake. I found this one on Amazon that has a lot of reviews. Thoughts? would this be a good one to use?

http://www.amazon.com/Oster-Professional-Grooming-Undercoat-Coarse/dp/B00061MWJ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1358654072&sr=1-1&keywords=undercoat+rake

I was just going to reccomend this to you! I bought the same one last week! Yes, it's expensive at $23... BUT, it works wonders. I used it on Juneau the other day and it was creating fur! It worked that well! It's got a little 'weight' to it for a brush, but it's pretty sturdy. It's all metal. I was going to get an $8 one from Amazon, but the reviews said the plastic neck handle broke. I would rather spend $23 once as opposed to spending $8 then $23 for a better one. lol

Juneau has a long coat, but it's sleek (pressed against her body closer). Works very well with her. Haku has a very thick "show coat" and long fur (very fluffy), but it didn't work very well on some parts of his body.
Back to top Go down
Melissa911
Puppy
Puppy
Melissa911

Female Join date : 2012-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Gah the shedding sucks, tips?   Gah the shedding sucks, tips? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 5:49 pm

VintageJeans wrote:
Melissa911 wrote:
Ok so i'm going to get a undercoat rake. I found this one on Amazon that has a lot of reviews. Thoughts? would this be a good one to use?

http://www.amazon.com/Oster-Professional-Grooming-Undercoat-Coarse/dp/B00061MWJ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1358654072&sr=1-1&keywords=undercoat+rake

I was just going to reccomend this to you! I bought the same one last week! Yes, it's expensive at $23... BUT, it works wonders. I used it on Juneau the other day and it was creating fur! It worked that well! It's got a little 'weight' to it for a brush, but it's pretty sturdy. It's all metal. I was going to get an $8 one from Amazon, but the reviews said the plastic neck handle broke. I would rather spend $23 once as opposed to spending $8 then $23 for a better one. lol

Juneau has a long coat, but it's sleek (pressed against her body closer). Works very well with her. Haku has a very thick "show coat" and long fur (very fluffy), but it didn't work very well on some parts of his body.

Awesome!! I'm definitely going to purchase it now.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Gah the shedding sucks, tips?   Gah the shedding sucks, tips? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 5:57 pm

Melissa911 wrote:
VintageJeans wrote:
Melissa911 wrote:

Awesome!! I'm definitely going to purchase it now.

Great! I hope it really works out for you. It has definitely cut down on the hair in the house a little bit (although it has only been a few days). It worked really well on her back legs, tail, and her lower back! My bf got mad at me for all of the fur in the yard, so I had to go pick it up. lol! There's a certain method to brushing with it. Don't brush too rough, it is a breeze to use. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lpp06
Puppy
Puppy
lpp06

PostSubject: Re: Gah the shedding sucks, tips?   Gah the shedding sucks, tips? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:56 am

I use the generic furminator (FurGo) and am pretty apathetic about it. On one hand, it does a pretty good job of removing fur, but on the otherhand, I'm not sure its all fur that was meant to come out. It does the job pretty quickly.

My favored alternative is using a shedding blade followed by a slicker brush, takes a little longer to use, but its worth it. The shedding blade seems causes my dog to start snowing dead fur. I feel bad for anyone in a mile radius.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gah the shedding sucks, tips?   Gah the shedding sucks, tips? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Gah the shedding sucks, tips?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2