It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alicia22
Puppy
Puppy
Alicia22

Female Join date : 2013-02-09

Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? Empty
PostSubject: Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?   Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 12:40 am

Hello everyone,

I was surfing through Pinterest when I came across the picture below. Right now I kind of have a small room, and was thinking about doing this project to have the open space for the koolaroo bed. So my question is, do you think this would be too hot for my future dog because at least three sides of the crate are covered by wood? (Right side, back, and top) I would make sure to have a fan on her. Granted, I will probably cave and have her sleep with me.

Thanks for your help!

Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? 1a952711
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?   Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 12:54 am

I like the concept. It might be hot. My concern would be cleaning the floor if they have an accident. Second would be the height of the bed. You would want to make it tall enough for the dog to be able to stand. Plus the height of the mattress ...it could get to be a pretty tall bed.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?   Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 12:55 am

I always love these sorts of pins on Pinterest. I guess it would really depend on the dog. If the dog is inclined to chew, it may not be the best idea especially if it is 90% wood.

Or what you could do is just create the entire frame for the crate out of metal (or even use a wire crate and recess it in the bed) . It may not look as nice as the slats but it may be more resilient.

bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

PostSubject: Re: Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?   Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 1:23 am

I really like the idea of using a wire crate and building around it. That would be cooler and easier to clean.
Back to top Go down
Alicia22
Puppy
Puppy
Alicia22

PostSubject: Re: Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?   Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 1:26 am

Thanks for the responses Smile I was thinking of building the bed around one of the indestructible crates. the only trick would be to make it so I could slide the crate out if I needed to clean it. Side note...do any of you have the Coolaroo bed? If so what size did you order?
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

PostSubject: Re: Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?   Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 1:43 am

You could just put felt furniture slides on the bottom. That would make it slide. Can't help you with the pet. Would you put the coolaroo bed in the crate? I'm not sure that would work.
Back to top Go down
Alicia22
Puppy
Puppy
Alicia22

PostSubject: Re: Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?   Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 1:49 am

That's a good idea! The coolaroo bed would not be in the kennel. I would have it out in my room if, I have the room, or out in the living room. Just not sure on the size.
Back to top Go down
alexa&joe001
Puppy
Puppy
alexa&joe001

Female Join date : 2012-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?   Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 1:59 am

That is a neat concept & all, but like bellecma mentioned before, it would probably be challenging to clean.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?   Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 4:50 am

For adult, crate trained, dogs I love this idea. I've been considering buying a king sized mattress lately, because my dogs tend to all 3 sleep in bed with me, and seeing this makes me think that I will just build a custom bedframe that is 3 kennels. Forgive me for being super excited by this, but it would be awesome to make it so you could pull off your mattress and get top access for cleaning, and of course have removable floor trays on the bottom.

Oh man. Time to buy graph paper, and take over my dads garage and tools for a weekend

This is so cool, thnk you for posting this.
Back to top Go down
LillDragun
Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

Male Join date : 2012-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?   Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 5:58 am

subscribed!!
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?   Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:49 am

K9_Eric wrote:
For adult, crate trained, dogs I love this idea. I've been considering buying a king sized mattress lately, because my dogs tend to all 3 sleep in bed with me, and seeing this makes me think that I will just build a custom bedframe that is 3 kennels. Forgive me for being super excited by this, but it would be awesome to make it so you could pull off your mattress and get top access for cleaning, and of course have removable floor trays on the bottom.

Oh man. Time to buy graph paper, and take over my dads garage and tools for a weekend

This is so cool, thnk you for posting this.

I definitely want to see pictures if/when you do build it!

Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?   Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 11:01 am

I think we have a queen size.

Either way the frame for it was custom built by a carpenter friend of ours when we lived in a tiny apartment. The goal, since we had ZERO space, was to create drawers under it.

It stands taller than a normal bed by a couple of inches, but apart from that everything else is perfect with it. Even though we have since moved into our house we, or at least I, still use at least one of the drawers on it.

In terms of a crate I don't see how it would be any different. though I agree one with an option to at least remove the flooring would be a good idea just in case.

Quote :
I've been considering buying a king sized mattress lately, because my dogs tend to all 3 sleep in bed with me, and seeing this makes me think that I will just build a custom bedframe that is 3 kennels.

Would indeed be pretty cool to see.

And it goes without saying but just make sure you absolutely have enough support for you and the mattress. 1 crate or kennel doesn't take much out of the structure but 3 different ones could very well do that Wink .

Either way pics or it didn't happen. Smile

~Chris~

Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?   Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 3:00 pm

You mean to tell me you don't think 3 folding wire crates will hold a king sized mattress and a grown person? Get outta here Wink

No, I won't be able to turn this out quickly because A. I have no time right now and B. When I set out to hand make something, I obsess about quality craftmanship, so I sand and stain and sand for like a week straight, etc.

I really want to use a dark wood like walnut or cherry for the bedframe/kennel, but I worry about stability, and kennel integrity. I have access to a welder, and could build a steel frame, and then just take it into my dad's work and have a car painter powder coat it black for me.

Either way, I'm hoping to find time to draw a few different plans out tonight. Ill start a thread when I do.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?   Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Considering this also for the new place, be neat if I could do it the way i would like, cleaning is a priority. Moving this weekend over there, well most the stuff, so will have to look at the room and see about it
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?   Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 3:29 pm

kevo wrote:
Considering this also for the new place, be neat if I could do it the way i would like, cleaning is a priority. Moving this weekend over there, well most the stuff, so will have to look at the room and see about it

If you share all your ideas, tips and tricks, ill share mine. Smile
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?   Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 3:50 pm

That works, i can do that, just need to survey the whole thing and make out a though. I am also looking into the future as to what "she"might want incase that ever happens so thought is a level floor basically under the bed about the crates so if you roll off you don't go all the way to the floor. Also, building it open platform basically and use posts to hold up the floor and allows for airflow around the crates. just a couple thoughts as of now
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?   Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 4:44 pm

Where the EFF is my tape measure, and why does my gosh darn lab always have to be just barely one size bigger than Panzer and Soshanna? Anyways, I'm thinking a simple tall steel frame, built just big enough to slide wire crates in and out of is the way to go.

Using a King, you have 76"w, by 80"l, so, even if you use 3 of the 42lx28wx30h crates, you've only got to make the bedframe a few inches longer than the mattress, which you could cover with a footboard of some kind. Also, if you trade out a boxspring for just a piece of plywood over your frame, your mattress will only be like 38" high, as opposed to 46". Once everything is fit in, there's no reason you can't deco it up with some wood trim boards or slats, or whatever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?   Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad? Empty

Back to top Go down

Built in crate under the bed...good idea or bad?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1