It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Huskies VS Other Breeds

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brandon&Mishka
Newborn
Newborn
Brandon&Mishka

Male Join date : 2013-01-11

Huskies VS Other Breeds Empty
PostSubject: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 11:58 pm

What makes the Siberian husky so different and say, better than like a Lab or border collie in your own opinion?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 12:05 am

I don't think they are better than any other breed, like you said, they are just different. All breeds have their strengths Smile

The reason they seem so drastically different, in my opinion, is their independence and stubbornness. Most other breeds are not like that; they are more mindful and obedient (when trained).
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 12:10 am

I like their independence. I find they are too smart for their own good. You throw a ball to a lab and they will fetch it every time, you throw a ball to a Husky and they look at you like "why did you throw it if you want it? I hope you don't think I'm bringing it back to you".

I love their happy go lucky attitude. Even if they did something horrible and make me so mad, they give me this goofy happy look or "woo" that I can't help but smile at and forgive them.

I love their energy! They push me to exercise them and get them out of the house and it's great for me as well for them. Most dog's can live being a couch potato or take a day break from exercising, but Huskies don't give you a day off, at least mine don't.

I love that my dog's will actually talk back to me, instead of looking at me like an idiot. They always seem to have something to say and make the cutest sounds.

The Husky to me is so majestic. When I see one I can't help but take a second look and say "OoOo look a Husky" (even thought I have three at home). When I see someone walking a poodle, I'm like eh it's another dog. As annoying as it is hearing people call my dog's a wolf, I do like the fact that out of a group of dog's, mine will get noticed most Smile
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:09 am

All dogs and breeds are unique and different in their own ways because of the things they were bred to do.

Herding breeds were bred to herd which required the dog to be extremely biddable which in turn means that they have a close working relationship with their humans.

Working breeds needed to be independent and had to think on their own, they are required to be stubborn because they -had- to be able to disobey their humans if it put their lives, the humans lives or their pack members in jeopardy.

Livestock Guardian Breeds are fiercely independent and stubborn and aggressive - they were bred that way because they were essentially left out in the fields with little to no human interaction. Their sole purpose was to protect the herd from threats.

Companion breeds are just that - bred to companions. That is -their- job. They are small and most often extremely biddable and extremely attached to their people.

Retrievers - bred to retrieve - there is a reason they excel at things like fetch Razz.

Any dog can do any "job" really outside of the one they were bred for - just like any dog can fail at having the drive to do the job they were bred for but no breed of dog is better than any other breed. Different breeds of dogs are just better at their specific jobs.

Huskies VS Other Breeds Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
alexa&joe001
Puppy
Puppy
alexa&joe001

Female Join date : 2012-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 2:06 am

First of all, I love how they have facial expressions, & that they don't necessarily bark, they howl. chirp & woo. They seem a bit more...intelligent? I guess i don't really know how to explain it. & not one husky is the same as the other. I don't know. I wouldn't choose any other breed!
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 4:48 am

No breed is better than the rest. Just a lot are worse...

Every breed, like every person, is different. They all have a use for somebody. A 78yr old pushover grandmother would probably say her Frenchie was a better breed than a Husky.

In some respects, My Black Lab is better than a husky.

In a lot of respects, My Dingo/APBT is a lot better (for me) than a Lab, or a Husky.

For instance, my lab will retrieve anything she knows the word for without hesitation. If I ask her for a ball, frisbee, her leash, my shoes, etc, she will go and get them, and bring them over. She never shows willful disobedience. Infact, being so dumb and one-track minded, she sometimes needs 15 seconds to register that you said "Mixie go get..." and she just stands there wagging her tail while the wheels turn, and then she gets enormously excited and goes off to get whatever. Also, she's the talkative dog.

The dingo is odd. She protects my pack, keeps them in check, retrieves toys from disobedient dogs, etc for me. If Dayzee has a ball and wntbring it to me, Soshanna will take it upon herself to steal the ball, and bring it to me, but as long as dogs are listening, she's content to not even play with the ball. She even keeps Panzer, whom is much faster, but much less intelligent, herded.

My husky is not fond of humans, but loves dogs. She doesn't do much, but she doesn't require much from me either. Eventually she will do more.

For me, I need a diverse range of dogs. Some people want a dog that will test their mental strength and keep them in shape, and some want dogs that will blindly follow their every order. What makes a husky better is the lifestyle and personality of the owner.
Back to top Go down
Onyx_Blitz
Teenager
Teenager
Onyx_Blitz

Male Join date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:43 am

I don't know if I would say that huskies are the best breed. They are my favorite, I will state that Very Happy. I would have to say that why I would take a husky over any other breed would be for their looks. The faces they make, the way there ears move from up to back and all around.

Also I too enjoy that my dog talks back to me. My granpa had a husky that I could hold a conversation with. Onyx is working on that but he at least talks to us.

All I can say is that I don't forsee myself ever not owning a husky from here on out.
Back to top Go down
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:07 pm

The biggest thing for me that makes Huskies so different and so awesome is how you can see the intelligence and how hard they think when they're trying to figure something out. Whenever Bella gets a toy under the couch she looks at it for a minute, tries precisely twice and then starts barking or wooing at me till I get up and get the toy for her.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 3:51 pm

Ya, I have to agree with everyone about Huskies not being the best...they too have their cons...like chewing things up, shedding like crazy, escaping when they can....

Anyways...I will have to say they are one of the most beautiful breeds!!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 3:55 pm

Iluvmyhuskies wrote:
Ya, I have to agree with everyone about Huskies not being the best...they too have their cons...like chewing things up, shedding like crazy, escaping when they can....

I agree with what everyone said..

My biggest issue with my two is the digging that is all they want to do when let outside.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 3:57 pm

ljelgin wrote:
Iluvmyhuskies wrote:

I agree with what everyone said..

My biggest issue with my two is the digging that is all they want to do when let outside.

Yes, yes, and YES!! How did I forget that?? It's prob one of their worst habits!! It's in their nature so it's really something that can't be fixed..unfortunately..
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 11:00 am

Honestly I really don't see them as so different from other breeds. They aren't the only breed that is stubborn for sure, my lab Ruby is as stubborn as they come, and so far Balon isn't stubborn at all. Now that being said, they are certainly full of life and so much fun! Possible Balon is the most fun dog I have every had! And yes they are a gorgeous breed!. I am no stranger to different breeds though, I have had 2 retired racing greyhounds, many husky mixes, Labs, and various other dogs lol.

What I love about this breed is that they are like Hairy Houdinis, we love seeing how Balon will undo the next baby gate, he keeps my husband on his toes.

I believe I have found my favorite breed, (I am getting another husky puppy in March lol).
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 11:56 am

I can't answer this because I own a malamute. I think my malamutes are better choice for me then huskies. I think Maggie has my personality. Lazy when she wants to be and active when she wants to be. I have stubbornness but it isn't as bad. I like going to dog parks and when it is time to go I say Maggie lets go and she follows me to the gate.

I love my border collies, this is what I had growing up. I was able to do everything off leash and my dogs wouldn't run off. Malamutes and huskies that's a no. Though their hyperness is different, they are at time just plan CRAZY.

I am not a lab person. Too many come to my work and I want to shoot myself in the head. The huskies and malamutes that come are the most trained then the labs. lol

Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 4:03 pm

Okay, I used to honestly believe Mixie was retarded. As a puppy, she had to relearn stairs every day for a week. The first time she got on the bed on her own, I tried to get her to jump back on again, and show me how she did it, and she ran to the foot of the bed, grwled at it, barked at it, and ran away from it. Labs have the potential to be retarded. I hate other peoples labs. Mixie has been worked andhad her natural instincts nurtured her whole life, and now is an outstanding gun dog, dock dog, and in general a great retriever. Competitive dock labs and hunting/tracking labs are actually really awesome. Big fatty, boisterous, invasive pet labs are a pain.
Back to top Go down
Brandon&Mishka
Newborn
Newborn
Brandon&Mishka

Male Join date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 4:05 pm

Eric. lmao
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 10:32 pm

LOL Eric, my lab is retarded sometimes for sure, and Balon is a better retriever then she is lol and Erica, I know what you mean, Balon listens better then Ruby, but I can't help it I love my chocolate girl lol
Back to top Go down
tiffany
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 11:04 pm

i think huskies have many traits us owners find endearing and well hair pulling all at the same time lol they weren't a first choice for me, heck not even in the top 3, but i am glad i have them in my life. they keep me active and always on my toes. each has their own personality and traits that make them an individual, but they also have some common traits that are relatively a given in the breed.

to be honest though, my heart will always belong to akitas. they are my breed and will always be above huskies in my book.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 12:58 am

Just like everyone has said, huskies have their drawbacks (chasing Karli for 20min in the back yard because I want to take her for a walk and she wants to chase is not my idea of a good time lol) but we love them all the same. Also not my first choice in breed, but it was my hubby's first choice and part of our compromise and I wouldn't trade Karli for anything. She's my heart dog and I just have to adjust to her style of doing things (which means if I can't convince her that a walk is a good idea, chasing in the back yard will tire her out just as much. Mad )
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 3:08 am

My two favorite breeds are Standard Poodles and Huskies.

Why Standard Poodles? I LOVE how smart they are!! Huskies are very smart as well, but not in the same category that Spoos are. They are beautiful, in a totally different way obviously. They are SO different then those icky nasty toy poodles. Standard Poodles are just so different from the "poodles" everyone is used to and that is very enduring to me. I also love how they are off leash dogs, and I love that they are guard dogs. When you seem someone walking down the street with a Standard Poodle, you can't help but do a double take. Also, most people have those fru fru poodle images in their mind, it's always fun to see their reaction when you have a poodle in a sport cut and they have no idea what breed it is.

Why huskies? I love how they aren't velcro dogs (for the most part). I love how they talk! The sounds Sheba makes will never get old to me, they make me laugh and smile every time. Huskies are gorgeous, in their own way of course. I love how they get me moving. My spoo was a runner too, but he could deal with running only once a week. I love how Huskies are challenging and very diverse. I can run with Sheba, I can sled with Sheba, I can do lots of things with Sheba. Not saying that Kennedy can't do the same things, because she certainly can, but to an extent.

Everyone has their own personal favorite breeds. Personally, I will never be without a Husky or a Standard Poodle. Once Sheba and Kennedy get a little older and are calmer and more mature, I will add a Spoo puppy to my pack. Once my girls have their own special bonding years, I will add a Spoo and I can not wait.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
mallorymolenda
Newborn
Newborn
mallorymolenda

Female Join date : 2013-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 3:28 am

I definitely chose a husky because of the energy! I love that huskies are always willing to play and run and be happy, in whatever kind of weather! I agree with a couple other people. My husky also encourages me to get off the couch and go on a run or on a bike ride with them, which is nice.

Their independence also sets them apart for me. They seem kind of more like a cat than most dogs. My boyfriends dog is a mutt, but he can never get a moment to himself. His dog always wants to lay on his lap, while I get an excited and happy greeting when I get home, but then Balto goes off and does his own thing, unless he wants to get me involved.

I also love their intelligence. Balto will do anything for me, as long as he knows he gets something from it. We have been in several obedience classes together, and he was always the star pupil!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Huskies VS Other Breeds   Huskies VS Other Breeds Empty

Back to top Go down

Huskies VS Other Breeds

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1