It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

introducing two dogs. help and possibly reassurance.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LoveMyBrat
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2013-01-29

introducing two dogs. help and possibly reassurance.  Empty
PostSubject: introducing two dogs. help and possibly reassurance.    introducing two dogs. help and possibly reassurance.  EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 1:55 pm

Hello All,

So i just got a beautiful german shephard/golden retriever mix (Kimmi) and i am currently in the process of introducing her to Thor (my Sibe). Below are the things we did do, what we are doing, etc. Any advice would be greatly accepted. For now, the way things stand, i am worried that i screwed everything up and i am bordering heartbroken. I want to make these animals lives better, not worse.

A quick update on their individual personalities.
Thor - Alpha - He is great inside the house, but boy is he stubborn when he wants to be (and not necessarily food driven either which makes like a bit more difficult). Inside the house he is very patient. He waits for permission to jump on the bed. he is very calm. he is not intrusive. doesn't demand attention but loves his belly rubs.

Kimmi - she isn't dumb but her behaviors are "dumb dog-ish". She is very sweet. but VERY intrusive. will run behind you and pass you and jump on bed for attention if thats where she thinks so is going. She is not agressive in any way, just a dopey sweet girl. We are trying to teach her that is not okay to be so pushy and it wont give her attention and she needs to listen to us. But she is still new.

So the introductions:
Last sunday was their original playdate. we drove thor to the foster family's house (she had only been there for a day so she wasn't protective of the area). we went for a walk and then let them play in the backyard. They got along well. They were playing with each other, all around friendly.

Friday was adoption day. Forster father came over with Kimmi. We went for a walk, and then we let them in the backyard to play. all was good. so we let them in the house. They were getting along well. they were playing, fine with each other, no agression. Fed them in the same room but different sides - no food agression or guarding. through the night they were fine. When it was bed time, thor seemed grumpy that she was in his spot, but we had her go sleep in a different room with my stepsister, and thor stayed with us. We made sure to give them both lots of attention. And individual time, but we also were doing the walks together, etc.

Saturday and after. starting i guess mid day saturday thor started getting more aggressive and protective. A couple of times since then he has attacked her. We are always around (we don't leave them together unattended), and we always stop it. but it is still disconcerting. When she is in the house and she walks around he has started stalking her and looks like he wants to attack. we normally try and distract him when he does that. She is scared of him and will try not to cross his path and avidly avoids him. When they are in the yard together they look like they are fine together and running and playing. He can play a bit rough though (nips at but to get her to play, but then he does the play bow), but no fights. But this is worrying me as well so i am trying to not let them do that either and just let them out in the yard individually.

For now we are keeping them apart unless we are around. We are using my stepsisters room as a safe-haven for her and we will crate her in there if nobody is home. That way she sleeps with company. she has toys, a bed, food, water, etc. and then she can be out when we are home to watch both of their behaviors. The walks are currently being done separately until they can learn some leash manners. i am hoping that within a day or two we can put up the gate and still have her in my stepsisters room and have them be able to interact but still have that separation. and that in the long run they will be used to each other and okay with each other. I mean, when we are around they can be near each other without attacking. they can even be on the same couch right next to each other.

I have never introduced two dogs before. My previous dog was highly, highly antisocial and we could not let her near any dogs or people. Based on her being scared and him being aggressive and guarding and stalking, i am just so worried that i screwed everything up. Everyone keeps telling me to give it time and that it will be okay and this happens with plenty of dogs. I just want the best for them all.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: introducing two dogs. help and possibly reassurance.    introducing two dogs. help and possibly reassurance.  EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 2:25 pm

there is a sticky in training that might help
https://www.itsahuskything.com/t1023-how-i-introduce-new-dogs

HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: introducing two dogs. help and possibly reassurance.    introducing two dogs. help and possibly reassurance.  EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 2:27 pm

Sorry meant to also tell you what we did.
Notice this is regarding a pup and two full growns so not quite the same
We introduced Bourbon outside with the older girls on leashes. They got to sniff with him in our hands.
We did a lot of interaction with some collar holding too.
Have you tried playing games with them like train together call one dog over then call other dog over, get two people to take the dog walks etc.

LoveMyBrat
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: introducing two dogs. help and possibly reassurance.    introducing two dogs. help and possibly reassurance.  EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 2:51 pm

Yes, we have. Unfortunately, Thor is much more well versed in his training (she really only knows sit) and she doesn't even know her name yet. But i have done basic training sessions with both of them right next to each other, and they are perfectly fine. i can give her a treat and no issues. i can pet her and no issues.

Its weird. it almost seems like he is protecting rules. The times that he goes for her are times when she either jumps up on the bed before getting permission and before he does. or another example is they both followed us into a room they don't normally go into (laundry room). I said "out", and he immediately trots out whereas she sat and sniffed a while and it took a while for her to get out. once we were all leaving that area is when he went for her. Although he is also being protective of his stuff. If I were to anthropomorphize i would attribute his attitude to her pushy always in the way nature.

We have taken them on walks together with a separate handler. But when they are together they both pull and walk at different paces. If Thor walks infront she just wants to catch up and be with him (did i mention she is really lovey) and if she walks in front then he HAS TO BE IN THE LEAD!
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: introducing two dogs. help and possibly reassurance.    introducing two dogs. help and possibly reassurance.  EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Our Aussie trys to correct everyone and it is sometimes an issue too. Patience and timing and practice is what I think you need. If Baylin our Aussie hears us correct or tell Bourbon the Husky pup no she comes in a barking kind of monitoring him, and I have before said to her that she does not get to correct him. (she barks and nips(aussie nip alot) if I say no and turn my back when he jump she comes right in to nip and bark at him. Now if our older girl Beka growls at Bourbon then Baylin growls and nips at her trying to put her in her place. So I would say I do no think this is an odd thing that they will not get over with time.
Beka is much more curious and interested in Bourbon now compared to the first month home. She does not negatively interact with him and much now actually i would say she is more an ignorer now with some positive interaction.

Also there are some that might say Thor would be exerting his alpha and dominance to her.
I think you are okay and just need time for them to get more positive interact and she needs time to learn the rules and get her training on!
Good luck. And peruse the training and introcution portions of the formun they may help. There is alot of stuff one here.

LoveMyBrat
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: introducing two dogs. help and possibly reassurance.    introducing two dogs. help and possibly reassurance.  EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 3:18 pm

thanks for the input.
I am worried though. The reason i said it seems like he is protecting the rules, but i don't think thats what he is doing, is because he doesn't nip at her but instead he attacks her. this isn't actually correcting.
and the fact that when she walks around he stalks her and looks like he is ready to pounce any second.
i will definitely give it time though. and i will do my best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: introducing two dogs. help and possibly reassurance.    introducing two dogs. help and possibly reassurance.  Empty

Back to top Go down

introducing two dogs. help and possibly reassurance.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1