It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JUNGLEFEVERMONA
Newborn
Newborn

IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? Empty
PostSubject: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 3:50 pm

Found this in on the net and for the first look I thought she was husky but not sure yet that's why I brought the topic here to find out.
okay well up until now i thought i had a 100% siberian husky, the dad was kc but the mum wasn't, i saw some guy with a malamute today in the park and he thought she may be half and half 2 and she did kinda look like this mal, what do you think? plus i also wanted to know how big she will grow? here are some pics...
thanks

7 weeks:
https://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm265/black_n_gold88/?action=view&current=husks2.jpg
https://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm265/black_n_gold88/?action=view&current=197965.jpg…

(she;s the one standing up Wink

8 - 9 weeks:
https://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm265/black_n_gold88/?action=view&current=Photo19-1.jpg

10 - 12 weeks:
https://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm265/black_n_gold88/?action=view&current=Photo221.jpg

and a bit of a leap her now at 5 months: ( well 5mnths in a week)
https://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm265/black_n_gold88/?action=view&current=alaskaaaaaaaaaaa.jpgoh

https://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm265/black_n_gold88/?action=view&current=Photo352.jpg

https://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm265/black_n_gold88/?action=view&current=Photo361.jpg

this might help, heres one of her standing up:
https://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm265/black_n_gold88/?action=view&current=Photo403.jpg
https://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm265/black_n_gold88/?action=view&current=Photo411.jpg
https://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm265/black_n_gold88/?action=view&current=Photo400.jpg

p.s the dad was massive and the mum was a normal sized husky to me...unless she was a mix?!!
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 4:07 pm

She looks pretty normal sized to me, how old is she now and how much does she weigh?
Females can be anywhere between 35-50 pounds. Our purebred female tops out at about 42 pounds.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 4:11 pm

She looks pure bred to me as well. Do you know her size?
Back to top Go down
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

Male Join date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 4:17 pm

LANI WE NEED YOU haha but as both have said she looks normal, just a bit awkward in some pics but probably because of that teenage phase
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 4:27 pm

She looks like a husky, without knowing anything about where she came from it's hard to say exactly what you should expect. I'd get an accurate weight on her, and a height (at shoulders). Siberian bitches are typically 20-22" at the top of the shoulders and 35-50lbs. Siberian Huskies typically get their primary height by 1-1.5years with some additional growth potential up to 2 years depending on the lines and physical maturity between 2 and 4 years old (chest, head, shoulders, etc).
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 4:47 pm

She looks normal to me too. Danzig was really lanky until about 3.5 yo. Then he filled out and weighs 68 lbs. The vet says he's not overweight though, since you can still slightly feel his ribs.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 4:52 pm

Where did you get her?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 5:02 pm

Just based on her face alone, I'd say there's no malamute in there.
Back to top Go down
JUNGLEFEVERMONA
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 5:50 pm

Thank you all for your information. I just don't know her size now but all I wanted to know if she looks pure husky or not.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 5:56 pm

Some things to keep in mind-

Males develop a lot differently than females, so don't compare male growth to female growth- I am guilty of this myself and the worry I bring on myself because of it is unnecessary. They all get there in their own time!

What you see at 8 weeks, in balance, angles, and proportions should be what you get back as an adult. What happens between 8 weeks and adulthood isn't much of a concern, the weird stages, awkward phases- they all have them. Be patient- again something I'm not good at, being patient!

Back to top Go down
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

Male Join date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 5:59 pm

Sometimes it seems patience is a virtue we seem to lack but if you really want to be sure you could always try those DNA tests that are sold (I think).
Back to top Go down
JUNGLEFEVERMONA
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 6:17 pm

For unexperienced person like me, how is it possible to find if your husky puppy is of pure breed or not? Are there any signs that you can look for to easily find out?
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 6:21 pm

Ethical breeders, Registration with a reputable kennel club (AKC/UKC/etc) and certified pedigree are the easiest/best ways to ensure your puppy is purebred, without these things there really is no guarantee.
Back to top Go down
Epimetheus
Puppy
Puppy
Epimetheus

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 6:49 pm

JUNGLEFEVERMONA wrote:
Thank you all for your information. I just don't know her size now but all I wanted to know if she looks pure husky or not.
Don't worry too much about purity. I mean, if you love it and it behaves reasonably around people, it's all good. What did you find out about its personality and behavior?
Back to top Go down
JUNGLEFEVERMONA
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 7:34 pm

Epimetheus wrote:
JUNGLEFEVERMONA wrote:
Don't worry too much about purity. I mean, if you love it and it behaves reasonably around people, it's all good. What did you find out about its personality and behavior?

I am looking for kids friendly puppy to grow up with and also to be safe for my cats too to live with.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Cats are a hit/miss, if raised from a pup with cats and a firm establishment that the cat is not a chew toy it can work. That does not mean if a neighborhood cat strolling through the yard will be safe, that just means your cat will be safe. There are cases of extreme prey drive dogs that this does not work with.

As for good with kids, I cannot stress ethical breeders enough, ones that only breed the best temperament dogs and socialize the puppies well before allowing them to go to homes. There are too many breeders that will breed whatever, whenever, because it's a fast couple hundred or more and tell you whatever you need to hear to buy. Don't get caught in the trap, do your research!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 8:15 pm

I understand why you would want to know if your dog is part mal. Mals have different character traits and it is a safe question to ask. Your dog does look pure husky, but none of us can really know. Have you see pedigrees?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 10:46 pm

Only seeing Husky in this dog. Malamutes have larger bone mass, larger heads, normally longer guard hairs and their ears are not as close together as Huskies, they are farther apart on the head. Even if your husky is tall it doesn't necessarily mean he is part Mal. But you never really know it certainly might be part Mal. That is just my take on it. Huskies are leaner, smaller, ears closer together, gait might be more effortless than a Mal, and blue eyes are Husky. Also I have noticed two lines of Huskies, Racing or Showing. From my observations, and these are just my observations-show lines are usually fluffier in appearance than racing, high energy but not as high as racing lines, and smaller. Racing being higher energy, taller, leaner, etc. Yours looks more like it comes from Husky racing lines.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 11:05 pm

You cannot judge conformation of a 5 month old, they are all legs and awkward. This is the 'puppy strange' phase of life. Of course they'll look like 'racing' lines but that does not mean that is the case. More likely this dog is from pet lines.

As far as energy levels, Mason my racing line Siberian is the most chill of all of my Sibes until it's time to work. My Show lines are actually more energetic than him, and my pet line dogs are somewhere between the two in their earlier years they were by far the craziest I've ever had. Racing, Show, Pet all come in a variety of sizes. Any line can go over standard if little regard is given to the pairing.
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 11:39 pm

I am still learning about huskies but I would say she looks full husky to me. My 3 month old is a mal/husky mix if you want to see. He looks husky but is thicker boned from the malamute side.
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 12:33 am

Yes of course you are probably right, you must have missed the part where I said these are my observations and just my observations, not stating any facts here just what I have noticed in my experience of breeders and meeting many other Huskies. You are most certainly correct in that every dog is different but my observations are only mine, other people have seen or know more than what I observe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?   IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW? Empty

Back to top Go down

IS MY DOG FULL HUSKY?, AND HOW BIG WILL SHE GROW?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1