It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

So much aggression.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rykashuman
Newborn
Newborn
Rykashuman

So much aggression. Empty
PostSubject: So much aggression.   So much aggression. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 2:14 am

Lets start from the beginning. Haha.

Once Ryka was cured of parvo, we began him in obedience training. With an instructor who claimed to have great success with sibes. Two weeks into the training, he politely asked us to leave his class. Ryka was un-trainable, in his eyes. So we contacted a pug breeder we know really well, she sent us to another trainer. He was overly confident in his skills as well. He didn't last a week.

WHAT do I do?!! Since the neuter, he has become the worst behaving dog I have ever dealt with. His temper is controlled, and he is not "mean" aggressive. Just very bitey. He has begun humping everything (sorry) Constant biting. We pet him, he bites us. We talk to him, he bites us. We feed him, he bites us. We open the door to let him out, he bites us. We give him a treat, he misses the treat and bites us. My fiance is on deployment, so Ryka sleeps in our bed with me. He will fight me for an hour, biting, scratching, jumping, before finally passing out. We tried crate training, he broke three teeth. We tried isolation, he demolished our shower. The vet prescribed "doggy downers" and that turned my dog into a walking zombie. No thanks.

His biting is hard too! He lunges at my face, he seems to know no boundaries. I went so far as to whimper like his siblings would when he bites. Just makes him pounce on me. I hate to say this, because I know this is genuinely frowned upon, but I went so far to as pop him in the nose a few times when it got uncontrollable. We have resorted to a muzzle, which turns him into the sweetest dog imaginable. But it makes him so hot. I can't bare the thought of leaving him in it for more than ten minutes. One person suggested that our husky feels he is the pack leader. So I bit Rykas ear. (BAD IDEA!) I layed him on his back till he stopped fighting. Just made his aggression worse. Everything I have researched, everything I have heard, it all tells me I have a demon. A possessed canine. I won't give him up for anything, of course. I just need some genuine tips to get him to settle down!

Might I add, he runs a fenced yard for hours every day. Participates with me on my daily run, and we have one of those things that goes on his back with weights. Plus all the toys a husky could want.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: So much aggression.   So much aggression. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 4:38 am

Sorry to hear about your situation. Sad

At what age did you acquire him?

What age is he now?

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: So much aggression.   So much aggression. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 10:55 am

How old is he? Have you tried a basket muzzle? That way he can still pant...

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: So much aggression.   So much aggression. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 11:05 am

Where are you situated? The reason I ask if someone on the forum may know a trainer who can help you.

You need a strong trainer/behaviorist who knows how to deal with these types of situations and won't give up on a dog. I wouldn't enroll in classes in your case but a private trainer that could focus only on me and my dog.

My girls are allowed to mouth me while playing but as soon as I say OUCH they know to back up right away and stop. I was never rough with them and all I did to train it was saying it mid play and then completely stopping all play and ignoring or even getting up and walking away. Eventually they got the point.

I know a mouthy dog isn't the easiest thing in the world to break, but if you find something that can break that excitement and fixation on play (be it a word, noise, or behavior) you are half way to stopping it. If you can get them to stop and think for even 1 second you can build off that.

You could also look into and adopt Nothing in life is free training for every day moments that could help build a more respectful relationship between both of you.

If you really are at wits end though I would really keep trying to find a private trainer who won't give up when things get challenging.

Best of luck,
~Chris~

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: So much aggression.   So much aggression. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 11:57 am

According to your age ticker, he's only 4 months old. He sounds like a wound-up untrained husky puppy IMO.

When did you get him neuetered? Most vets won't do it until the dog is 6 months of age...

Just because you have a fenced yard doesn't mean he's getting the proper exercise. He needs to be out socializing with other dogs(dog park, daycare) and getting stimulated. Food puzzles are great for that, and just working and training him.

What age did you aquire him at? He sounds like he's lacking a lot of skills he should have learned with his mom and littermates...

If he's going to act like that in bed, he can't be on the bed. I also recommend Nothing In Life is Free training. I think it would help your case out quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
Rykashuman
Newborn
Newborn
Rykashuman

PostSubject: Re: So much aggression.   So much aggression. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 12:24 pm

He was born November second of 2012, I brought him home December 22nd. So around 5 months.

He is completely untrained. He under went multiple trips to the vet in order to figure out he had parvo. Once that was determined, he spent another month undergoing treatment. Him and I are in northern IL, being moved to Springfield, IL in about a month. During his first few months, there was absolutely no training. Our main concern was getting him cured, and healthy. Once he was cleared by the vet, he went to a spay and neuter clinic. They didn't even bat an eye or warn against his age.

Our attempted training with him didn't really start till mid february. Once his suture was healed, and his activity levels were back up to normal, we began the in home training. Simple sit, stay, down commands. He was very receptive of the initial training. Now, he just seems to wound up to even care.

Unfortunately, the situation about the bed, is a losing battle. He can't sleep outside of my room. He tears the house to shreds. Can't be locked in a room, tears the room to shreds. Crate, is a no go. Too many teeth are gone as it is. If I push him off the bed, or demand that he stays down. He feels it is just me saying play time.

He socializes with other dogs. (We have three small dogs) And the dog park is a battle for my nerves. He will stalk, hunt, and pounce on any of the other dogs. The large dogs send him into a craze. Anything bigger than him automatically makes him take the defensive. Which then comes aggression. Anything smaller than him, and he hurts. He will throw them around by their neck.

This nothing in life is free, training. Is this a book? A class? I'm not ready to give up on breaking this behavior, I can't even have company over, I just need something with Answers and results.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: So much aggression.   So much aggression. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Quote :
This nothing in life is free, training. Is this a book? A class? I'm not ready to give up on breaking this behavior, I can't even have company over, I just need something with Answers and results.

k9deb.com - NILIF

In a nut shell it is requesting something of your pup before you give them anything, be it food, freedom, play, ect. It is a good read and something a lot of us subscribe to.

We also have a bunch of treads on it here. A quick search brings up two, but there and more.

Search results NILIF - It's a Husky Thing

You can also look into this episode of Victoria Stilwell's Show where she pretty much deals with this exact problem.

I can't see how any trainer would give up on a dog at 5 months of age, but for a puppy to be mouthy and rambunctious like that is "normal". It needs someone to educate it as to what is "acceptable behavior". You should be working in it every day though to improve it slightly so you don't end up with an out of control adult on your hands that could actually do damage.

Set up some boundaries and rules and abide by them. Use NILIF to develop a stronger relationship and give the pup direction. Nothing is an over night fix but working at it everyday and sticking to your plan can only yield results in the end.

~Chris~

Newborn
Newborn
Rykashuman

PostSubject: Re: So much aggression.   So much aggression. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 1:41 pm

Tika....that is my dog! Even down to the peeing in bed, thing! We also have a basement.... Lol.

I'll be sure to check those links out tonight when I get home. Thanks so much for the input, guys!
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: So much aggression.   So much aggression. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 2:57 pm

Are you anywhere near Grayslake, Il? I had my late husky trained at TOPS off of route 120. He was between three and five years old, not leash trained with separation anxiety, a hot mess. I opted for a board and train program. I did the private lessons that came with it and then kept taking lessons until we started basic agility. I didn't quit until I moved here. They have group classes too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So much aggression.   So much aggression. Empty

Back to top Go down

So much aggression.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1