It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly?   Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 12:37 am

Welcome - your Mishka would join a few others on the forum. Can't blame you, though, it is a gorgeous name!

Just curious - does the breeder have a website or an online presence (FB, Twitter etc)?

And as for the whole wooly coat - there's nothing wrong with wanting a wooly coat as long as you know that shedding would be that much crazier... I would like to chime in and warn you about not getting parents health tested. Stark came from a breeder much like yours (did no health testing etc), and now, knowing what I know, I'm literally worrying every day about the things he can develop. He could go blind from juvenile cataracts, be incapable of running or playing due to hip dysplasia (sp?), and just generally not having the best quality of life that I could hope for him. When I got him, it was because he was cheaper than the registered breeders, but I would more than pay double of what a registered breeder was asking for to not have to go through the worry that I'm going through now... With everything said, Jordan, it's your dog and you get the last word, but even if you don't take it, please consider others' advice surrounding your pup. I really do wish you the best of luck and can't wait to see pictures of little Mishka! Smile

Oh, also, make sure you read the fine print on the health guarantee - I've come across stipulations that you have to feed them a certain brand of food or do not cover things like cataracts etc. Make sure you get everything in writing and that you're fully covered from mistakes made by the breeder.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly?   Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 1:17 am

We have a local kennel, Arctic Shores Kennels, Concord, VA, that purposefully breeds FOR the woolly gene. Feel free to go here http://www.siberianhuskypups.org/ and read why they think woolies are so wonderful. I personally feel that if a kennel tries to find floppy eared Siberians all over the world, buys them up and begins breeding them because the owners believe that floppy eared huskies are cute, they would be wrong even if they are only breeding cute pets and not show dogs. Based on the belief that all dog breeds ultimately evolved from one original dog kind, breeders must carefully maintain breed standards or these breeds will continue to evolve into something we do not even recognize as a Siberian.

Some of the best dogs I've ever had have not held a pedigree. So I do not believe that every dog should be bred as a registered show dog but I do believe that if someone is breeding Siberians he should strive to better the breed.

This does not mean that there will be anything wrong with your pup or that you should not get your pup. I am merely saying that I personally believe that purposefully breeding a woolly (like Arctic Shores does) is not an ethical breeding practice. I believe that is what is at the heart of many of these other comments as well.

Last edited by SabakaMom on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly?   Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 1:27 am

I just want to wish you luck on finding your perfect new pup and add that I fell victim to a breeder that sounds very much like the one you are considering. I thought I did all the research and found someone with the best intentions when it came to her dogs, but I was so wrong. A health guarantee of 3 years will mean nothing to you once you fall in love with the dog. Sure, my girl came with one too and I was refunded the price I paid for her, but that is NOTHING when I watch her living in pain and consider her neverending medical bills for her genetic problems. Everyone here has taught me so much and now I'm certain there won't be a next time. Sometimes you learn the hard way. Please don't take it as people coming off as harsh.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly?   Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 2:35 am

Just catching up on this, first welcome I hope u will not leave this site based off guarantee the replys you have been getting, I have to say I agree with what everyone has said and don't take it as them bullying you they are all just speaking the truth. We have a many of first timers chim in abut puppy issues all the time and ou know what, for the most part all the issues go back to the breeder. My puppy bites, we got him at 5 weeks, red flag should have waited till 8-9weeks. My puppy has a haze on its eyes, the parents were never tested and now the pup will lose its sight, the list goes on. The only way to stop this is with education, and if we can't help you at this point cause your set on the breeder maybe someone else will read this and learn before they fall for a bad breeded. My girl was used for breeding before we adopted her, she has bad eyes, I hate to think about all the pups out there with bad eyes because she was breed.

Jill said what I was gonna state, health guarantees mean nothing after you fall in love with your dog, no one is going to return the pet know it will be put down, instead your stuck with a lifetime of bills. Hip and eye certs are a must when looking for a pup, the extra you pay for a pup with papers the better you are in the long run.

Good luck and I hope u stick around.

Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly?   Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 7:39 am

SabakaMom wrote:
We have a local kennel, Arctic Shores Kennels, Concord, VA, that purposefully breeds FOR the woolly gene. Feel free to go here http://www.siberianhuskypups.org/ and read why they think woolies are so wonderful. I personally feel that if a kennel tries to find floppy eared Siberians all over the world, buys them up and begins breeding them because the owners believe that floppy eared huskies are cute, they would be wrong even if they are only breeding cute pets and not show dogs. Based on the belief that all dog breeds ultimately evolved from one original dog kind, breeders must carefully maintain breed standards or these breeds will continue to evolve into something we do not even recognize as a Siberian.

Some of the best dogs I've ever had have not held a pedigree. So I do not believe that every dog should be bred as a registered show dog but I do believe that if someone is breeding Siberians he should strive to better the breed.

This does not mean that there will be anything wrong with your pup or that you should not get your pup. I am merely saying that I personally believe that purposefully breeding a woolly (like Arctic Shores does) is not an ethical breeding practice. I believe that is what is at the heart of many of these other comments as well.

How on earth do they have a .org domain name? I thought you had to be non profit for that?
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly?   Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 8:55 am

wpskier222 wrote:

How on earth do they have a .org domain name? I thought you had to be non profit for that?

scratch

… hmmm …

Last edited by aljones on Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix quote)
Back to top Go down
mvandor
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly?   Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 13, 2016 11:05 am

jordan.payton wrote:
Hello! I'm new to this forum!

I've seen a few posts that have referred to this but none of them really answered my question.
After months of consideration, I have finally found a breeder I feel comfortable with and will be bringing home my first husky puppy in August!  I love you

I have second pick of the females right now. The breeder said she will be sending me pictures shortly after the pups are born so I can pick which one I'd like to bring into my home. My question is: Is there a way to tell if a puppy will be wooly when they are that young?
The father is a standard coat and the mother is a wooly, so the gene is there. I don't really have a preference, but it'd be nice to know what to expect.

If anyone has pictures of their wooly pup when they were really young, that'd be great.

Like I said, this is my first husky so any advice would be great!

Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly? - Page 2 000710

The above photo is of our late wooly husky Bella. She was acquired from a shelter at 3 and gave us 13 great years. She was literally the best dog I've been around in my 62 years. Purists rail at woolys, even when you want them as pets, which as I said ours was the most beautiful and sweetest dog ever. She had no abnormal health issues - living to 16 is a long run. Some day when the pain of our loss heals I suspect we'll look for another husky and I assure you it will be wooly as we simply feel the longer hair makes the huskys even more beautiful.

So I say to you, if you have done all your due diligence, which I believe you have, acquire and love your wooly, in my experience it will be the best pet you ever owned. The idea pushed by the purists here that it is impossible to properly breed woolys as with any other husky is balderdash. The same genetic breeding rules apply wth the sole exception being you breed wooly to wooly.

[insert purist attacks here]

Last edited by mvandor on Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:15 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
mvandor
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly?   Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 13, 2016 11:07 am

wpskier222 wrote:

You are correct however there is no policing. We run a business from a.org because the .com was held hostage by a Korean domain dealer, and a poor SEO firm got our.net blacklisted.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly?   Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 13, 2016 1:12 pm

Mvandor - welcome to the forum! I am sorry to hear of the loss of your husky, Bella - she was a beautiful girl.

I also have a wooly, did not know he was a wooly when we got him because he had been severely neglected and lost all his coat. I love my boy to pieces and would not trade him for anything. But, and this is a big but. I would never, ever knowingly get a wooly again.

The coat maintenance is horrendous. Particularly in a boy who his little tolerance for grooming. I am constantly cutting little mats out behind his ears so they don't become big mats - his collars roll the fur into little dreadlocks. He has 4 acres of woods, brush and lawn to romp in - he comes in loaded with seeds, burdocks - in the past week I have had to remove 2 long pieces of bramble that get caught in his leg feathers. In winter, he gets ice balls in his paws that are so painful he stops walking and lays down in the snow - I have to take my gloves off to warm his paws enough for the balls to melt so I can remove them. If we get a rain - he gets wet and stays wet for at least a day.

I could keep him groomed and mat free IF I kept him in the house 24/7 and only took him on paved, dry sidewalks. But we live in a rural area - he has lots of room to roam and to my mind would be cruel to coop him up when he loves the outside so much.

He has a forever home with us and, to keep him healthy and comfortabe, his coat will be kept clean and unmatted though he may look "chopped" a lot of the time, but...never again.
Back to top Go down
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly?   Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2016 1:34 pm

I can tell you are firm with your choice of the breeder. I am wondering the 3 years warranty that you have mentioned.
What is covered for the 3 years warranty? It is interesting to know because when the worst thing come how is the breeder takes care of it? Does it has a upper claim limited? When come to decision who has the major right? e.g. if the dog has disease which is not curable but still have a bit good time to live, who has the right to decides to put on sleep or medication?

I hope you don't find it hateful, but it is very important for you. Because I lost my 1st husky at 6 years old. Hemangiosarcoma took him away... it was very hard time for us.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly?   Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2016 1:46 pm

grizzly&charcoal - most of this thread was from three years ago (2013) so you might not get any answer to your questions.

I'm sorry you lost your first Husky at 6 years; losing a friend at any age is hard to handle, losing one so young can be especially difficult.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly?   Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2016 2:02 pm

Hello Jones, Nice to speak with you.

I would like to say Thank you to all of you who contribute this place. I found this forum second to none for huskies related.

Yes, it was a difficult time and was hard to believe he has that rare cancer at that age. Since that, I look up would neutering a dog reduce the risk of cancer. It is interesting to read as 2-3 years old finding was male husky vs neutered male husky, risk of hemangiosarcoma in a neutered male husky would be higher than a male husky as there is a hormone missing to help to reduce the chance of hemangiosarcoma.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly?   Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Can you tell if a newborn will be wooly?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2