It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lunatic Fringe
Newborn
Newborn
Lunatic Fringe

Female Join date : 2013-06-29

Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 12:54 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
I second the high velocity drier....amazing. Not just for show dogs!

I use a slicker brush, rake, and combs. Combs are amazing...and flea combs are great to smooth out the furry butt chaps(yes I call them furry butt chaps).

I've got to admit I've been calling them "furry butt chaps" ever since I read this. It's a perfect description!
I was using the furminator on both my dogs and thought it was working great, but have stopped after reading this thread. I didn't really notice the furminator doing damage or hurting them, but I'm trying just using a pin brush and a slicker brush to see what the difference is in getting the hair out as well as if they seem to like being brushed any better.
It's true that no matter what brush I'm using, if I use a lighter hand while brushing, it seems to be a lot more comfortable for them.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 3:05 pm

Hahaha yep, Whitney.

Jessica, I suggest you check out Karnovanda's facebook page. They have put up a lot of information about furminator.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
GonetotheSnowDogs
Teenager
Teenager
GonetotheSnowDogs

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 3:10 pm

I don't need to check out their page. I actually USE a Furminator. And have for a long time. Smile There is always someone out there who wants to say how bad it is, but when used properly, it works great. You can clearly see in the videos we put up 3 times a week that our dogs coats are not damaged, they are nice and shiny and healthy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/GonetotheSnowDogs
Lynn.Karpati
Puppy
Puppy
Lynn.Karpati

Female Join date : 2013-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 pm

I tried the furminator on Pongo once and didn't like how it was cutting the guard hairs. I use a double rake now and a slicker brush to get the loose hair. I do use the furminator on the cats no problem though.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 5:40 pm

I think most to all of us have used a Furminator at one point or another, coming from a Furminator to a rake I can't even see why I ever wasted my time! Sooo much easier and works so much better!

Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 5587_498080153595086_230336404_n

One of the best examples of how a Furminator truly is a shedding blade. Our groomer has taken a blade off the clippers and done the exact same thing to the coat with the same "results" as the Furminator. I mean to each their own but I would encourage you to try the rakes, they really do work much nicer and there's no worry to "over brushing."

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 6:32 pm

I use the Furminator with good results. As long as you use it correctly it won't cut any guard hairs. I use my HVC, Rake, and the Furminator.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 6:48 pm

I've used a furminator - I've even used it correctly. I never would again. But, I guess that doesn't matter.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 7:50 pm

The furminator is basically a #40 blade with a handle, ask any groomer. Does it have its place with Siberian coats? In some cases I believe so. Yes it can be too harsh and it can cut the fur but I find from personal experience that it doesn't always have the negative effects either. Huskies come in such varied coats that I do believe that while the Furminator may work well on one coat, it may destroy another. I have and use a Furminator, been using it for years now. It's not my preferred tool (I prefer my HV dryer and undercoat rake), but I do use it when my sibe is really blowing coat. It works great on certain parts of my sibes coat but horrible on other parts so I am careful about where and when I use it. It's not for everyone or every coat but I do believe that it does have its uses in some circumstances. Do I recommend the Furminator? No, because not everyone can pay attention and know how to use it properly. BUT I would never want to be without one as when used appropriately on the right coat it is a very handy tool and doesn't always negatively impact coat. That just my two cents on it anyway.

Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 8:40 am

I have never found that the furminator did much for huskys, I have an undercoat rake with moving teeth that I like much better for my huskies, the furminator works great on my lab though! I still am careful with it though.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 12:22 pm

I also agree with Karnovanda's views on the Furminator.  If the Furminator was such an awesome time saving tool, those of us with large kennels would be singing its praises!  There is a reason that they/we aren't.  I have never used one on my Siberians, I care too much about their coats to risk ruining them.  If you look closely at the picture Kristina posted it's quite clear what the Furminator is, a stripping tool like what is used on terrier breeds.  Not exactly a Siberian coat type.  The preferred tools for grooming double coated breeds have teeth at least 1" long to reach the undercoat without damaging the guard hair.

Though some people can't see a difference between a Furminator coat and a properly groomed coat- it's quite obvious to others.  No one is going to be able to change the minds of everyone....but hopefully it will reach a few.  

Photo posted to Karnovanda's page by Daisy Geasland, a former Furminator user. You can see the difference pretty clearly here.
Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 527870_375076839211142_2146932012_n
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 8:31 pm

As mentioned before if used correctly. I think that most people push down too hard on the furminator - which can cause problems. Our grooming process: #1 Rake, #2 Comb, #3 Furminator, #4 Slicker. We use it more like a hand brushing over the dog. I never use it on his back, only sides and back of the his legs - it barely touches him, mainly getting the fur that is already falling off.

He doesn't seem to mind it and since his coating is changing all the time it seems, we pay close attention to how we use the furminator.
Back to top Go down
Elusive
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 6:05 pm

I got one, but it didn't work well on my guy's coarse hair much at all. I prefer a good old undercoat rake.
Back to top Go down
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

Male Join date : 2013-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 4:32 am

Why would the designers and manufacturers put a blade in the furminator if they didn't want it to cut?

or to put it another way...

If using the furminator "correctly"  as some people will say, the blade doesn't cut. Surely this must mean that either the blade is superfluous or people who are not cutting hair are using it wrong Laughing 

Not the tool for me.
Back to top Go down
Taiga
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 1:27 am

I use the furminator, but only when V is blowing his coat. It does a great job pulling out all the old under fur and doesn't do any damage to the guard hairs that I've seen. If you use it for regular grooming, then yes, I've gotten guard hairs with it (which is why I only use it during the blowing).

I like it a bit better than the slicker brush, as the slicker brush get's bogged down too quick with the hair when he's blowing. But for normal grooming, the slicker works great.

V's hair seems to not need a rake, at least the traditional kind. It goes through and does basically nothing.

However, I was fortunate enough to test drive an undercoat rake (professional grooming friend of mine) that had blades under neath the U shape and that was amazing! Better than the furminator! No chance to hitting the skin with the blade portion, so less risk to your dog than even using a slicker brush.

Undercoat rake

Admission: When I worked in a grooming salon (many moons ago) we occasionally used the blades on the razors to bring out tough undercoat spots. We were amused when the furminator came out.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 10:15 am

That's the Mars coat king branded and cheapified under pet edge. This is a stripper, with various # blades.

http://www.groomersmall.com/coat_kings.htm

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Furminator is one of the most highly misused dog grooming inventions of all time. Pretty much the only people that you hear complaining about it are the people that are using it wrong.

You don't have to put hardly any pressure when using it. That is the number one mistake most people do is they press too hard like it is a brush. This is what creates the skin issues and uncomfort and irritability.

You just have to glide it across the fur and it will get the job done the right way.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 5:11 pm

My groomer at the vets doesn't use the furminator on huskies when she grooms them. She says that its not the right tool for their fur and I agree. I have never had a need for a furminator.
Back to top Go down
Taiga
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 1:08 am

arooroomom wrote:
That's the Mars coat king branded and cheapified under pet edge. This is a stripper, with various # blades.

http://www.groomersmall.com/coat_kings.htm

Yep! That's the one I used! Great tool! (right click, bookmarked)

Thanks for posting that, I didn't know the brand name of the one I used and just did a quick google to get a pic.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 2:17 am

I've never used a furminator.. never saw the appeal to it. I wouldn't want to use a tool that if I press too hard I'm gonna accidentally ruin my dogs coat, nor do I want to use a tool that can cut the fur at all. A good undercoat pin rake is all I've ever used and the fur sure does fly off the dogs.
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 5:53 am

I think the biggest problem may be that sometimes a little research is all you need to do. In nz a furminator costs $125.. I looked into saving for one but I dont see why you should have to pay sooo much for a grooming tool. I bought an undercoat rake instead. If you stroke it against the direction of hair growth it works just as well as the videos of furminators on huskies.  But you cant stuff up and ruin their guard hairs. A furminator is a lazy persons option if you ask me. I use the undercoat rake first, followed by a slicker brush, then finish off with a rotating pin comb when Keyto is blowing her coat. I do it evety second day for around an hour. Keyto loves the attention,  and she looks fabulous afterward.

EDIT: I bought my double rowed undercoat rake, slicker brush and rotating pin comb for a combined cost of $42.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??   Is it bad using the FURMINAToR?? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Is it bad using the FURMINAToR??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2