It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Have a new foster boy-Sheba hates him.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

Have a new foster boy-Sheba hates him. Empty
PostSubject: Have a new foster boy-Sheba hates him.   Have a new foster boy-Sheba hates him. EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:00 pm

Long story short, a Colombian man ended up in Nebraska with his Siberian. He got a job working 12+ hours a day with Ares being in his crate the whole time. He tried to pass him off on his friend who lives in the same town as me. Well she already had 3 dogs, two of which are severely under socialized, highly aggressive dogs. They contacted me and now he is here.

As expected, there as been some spats with the girls. However, Sheba is being a plain ol' B. Sometimes they get along well; like giving each other kisses and chasing each other. Other times, it seems to me, Sheba is guarding me from him and if he gets too close, she lunges. When she does this he runs. He howls at her and runs. Other times, I can see them "posting up" against each other. He pushes his head and tail above her, she shoves her body into his..the usual. I understand what they are doing and why they are, but I'm not sure how to handle it or to make Sheba feel "better" (for lack of a better word).

I have taken all toys or anything else of value away. It seems though that, like I said, Sheba is guarding ME from HIM. I don't really know how to fix that. She will also engage in a stare down with him from across the room. When she does that I try to redirect her attention. Then there are those times that no matter how hard I'm trying to keep an eye on body language, she snaps. She always lunges first.

I do not know how I should go about correcting her or what is and isn't acceptable between the two of them. I do not correct her when she does a simple growl because I will not take communication away. However, do I correct her when she is baring teeth when I am petting him?? I need help!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Have a new foster boy-Sheba hates him.   Have a new foster boy-Sheba hates him. EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:15 pm

Sounds like what happened with Kay and Maya. Took about 4 months for them to calm down a little, i corrected them by time outs. Also lots of walks and doing things with them together.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Have a new foster boy-Sheba hates him.   Have a new foster boy-Sheba hates him. EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:36 pm

Also seems kind of similar as Cloud 'guarded' me a bit when Link came home. I just gave Cloud a time-out every time he tried to defend me from Link and its only taken about a month and now they're best buds.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Have a new foster boy-Sheba hates him.   Have a new foster boy-Sheba hates him. EmptyWed May 15, 2013 4:48 am

I guess my main question is this; what is and isn't acceptable behavior? I know guarding isn't, but if she is just plain showing her teeth do I verbally correct her or give her a time out?? If she just growls while walking by him, is that a need for verbal correction or not??

I don't want to take all communication away from the two of them, but I don't want Sheba to be a bully either.

Tonight I walked all three of them and they all did awesome. I walked Sheba and Ares on one hand and Kennedy on my other side. The two of them walked perfectly fine, even played a little bit. I did notice Ares pushing his body into hers, but he has zero leash training and can't walk in a straight line for more then two steps, so I'm not really sure about that.

I know their is an adjustment period, but like I said, I don't want to go too overboard, but I don't want to sit back and do nothing either.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Have a new foster boy-Sheba hates him.   Have a new foster boy-Sheba hates him. EmptyWed May 15, 2013 8:11 am

Sorry I did see that part of the question last night but was really tired and didn't respond very well, I personally gave Cloud a verbal warning when he growled so he knew it wasn't okay, because he would growl when Link was doing nothing wrong, and when Cloud snarled or snapped at Link, I would put him in time out.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Have a new foster boy-Sheba hates him.   Have a new foster boy-Sheba hates him. EmptyWed May 15, 2013 11:12 am

^ same. Kay would just walk up to Maya and snarl, then a fight would happen. So when Kay growled or showed teeth at Maya i'd give a verbal correction and put her in a time out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have a new foster boy-Sheba hates him.   Have a new foster boy-Sheba hates him. Empty

Back to top Go down

Have a new foster boy-Sheba hates him.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1