It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Should I be scared of this breeder?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:16 pm

^ jynx Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:17 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
^ jynx Smile

lol!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Lyrril
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:17 pm

Thats your choice, but honestly. It's just a bit of paper that proves that you have tons of money to waste... Over and out can an admin please remove my account, do not ban me I want it removed. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:18 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when someone is clearly violating a set standard of ethical practices in breeding, saying so isn't really an opinion but is a fact.

And showing is the accepted method for proving that a dog is within the approved breed standard. I'm not just going to take someone's word for something, I want it backed up with indisputable proof.

I just wanted to expand on this just a little- if they do not show I feel they should at least prove their dogs in harness. Prove them to the function of the breed IF they do not want to prove them in the ring.

Though the thought that all dogs that go to shows get poisoned by 'psychopaths' is absurd. Don't leave your dogs unattended if you are that paranoid. I have met some wonderful people and grown friendships and learned so much from seasoned breeders/fanciers by going to dog shows.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:20 pm

Thanks for expanding on that one, Lani.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Lyrril
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Well I do not live in the USA and those who work in harness with huskies where I am, treat people worse than a dog turd on the bottom of their shoe so my opinion of them is NOT very high either. Honestly I love my dogs to pieces but I doubt I will ever have another again because of the type of people who decide to try and associate with you if you have one (huskies that is). Too much to deal with, I have enough in my life with out the x y and z police.

Last edited by Lyrril on Mon May 13, 2013 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Lyrril wrote:
There are some amazing dogs out there that have not been shown that would do an awesome job in the ring. If you know what your looking at. You don't have to confirm it to everyone if you know what your doing... I do not have too many dogs though, I only have 2. I don't want anything happening to them because some freak wants to poison them. I actually value their life over anything else and thats all thats important to me. Anything else comes later. My husky is spayed.. my malamute is and has been commented as a perfect example, I do not show her we do walk LOTS, she packs etc. But I do not feel the need to put my dogs at risk for anyone. My personal preference is to stay away. I've seen all too well what types of people are at these shows. Some of them are beautiful caring people, but they are tough cookies to deal with the emotional crap that they get. Rescue is the same, tough cookies, very tough cookies. I have many friends in rescue and the things they deal with and see, is unbelievable. But honestly, I don't see anything 'unethical' about breeding for a certain assetics which actually is conformation if you look at the whole picture. Is not the way our dog looks and is built up all part of it's conformation?
Well that is my opinion and everyone else is entitled to their own. But saying someone is unethical is an OPINION it doesn't make yours or mine correct because OPINIONS are personal to everyone.

I think I may have mis-spoken or been mis-interpreted in a previous post or something. If you don't want to show your dogs or work them at sledding & pulling, then you did the right thing by getting them spayed. Those comments were made with respect to asking why Snohomish doesn't do conformation shows if she's so intent on breeding them. So, I'm sorry if I mis-spoke or there was a mis-connection somewhere.

Conformation is for breeding more than just aesthetics - it's breeding for sound structure. Breeding for aesthetics, according to her website, is also breeding woolies, which isn't what the siberian huskies were intended for. There are a lot of good threads on here with a lot of (impartial) information on breeding. You can PM me if you can't find the ones I'm referring to, and I'd be more than happy to help.

Like I said before, please, please don't take any of this as an attack - everybody is asking the questions they're asking in order to learn. If there's something that Snohomish is doing with respect to their breeding practices that could help out others, we would more than appreciate her knowledge! Smile
Back to top Go down
Lyrril
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:23 pm

I know a fair few people considered 'ethical' that have woolies in their lines, my mouth is zipped shut I am not getting into it as I don't do slander. These same breeders breed for 'type' another way of saying I like this look so I am breeding for it. It's what breeders do, process of elimination..

Last edited by Lyrril on Mon May 13, 2013 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:24 pm

Lyrril wrote:
Well she's not showing them so they wouldn't would they? But that doesn't mean her dogs don't have good conformation, you just have to look at them to see that clearly. As I stated if you KNOW what you are doing you will know what goes well together to produce the correct conformation. Do you think Ann would have passed her kennel to someone who didn't know what she was doing? I think not..

Is the person that runs the kennel a judge for AKC shows? If not, then I wouldn't peg her as an expert...
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:25 pm

but if "ethical" pertains to the proper functionality and purpose of the breed and woolies fall outside of that realm..........
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:27 pm

UndarthAngipoo wrote:
Lyrril wrote:
Well she's not showing them so they wouldn't would they? But that doesn't mean her dogs don't have good conformation, you just have to look at them to see that clearly. As I stated if you KNOW what you are doing you will know what goes well together to produce the correct conformation. Do you think Ann would have passed her kennel to someone who didn't know what she was doing? I think not..

Is the person that runs the kennel a judge for AKC shows? If not, then I wouldn't peg her as an expert...

Even if they are- it's so easy to become 'kennel blind' to your own lines to not be able to see your own dogs flaws.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:27 pm

Lyrril wrote:
Thats your choice, but honestly. It's just a bit of paper that proves that you have tons of money to waste... Over and out can an admin please remove my account, do not ban me I want it removed. Thank you.

I'm really sorry you feel this way - I was hoping the owner of the kennel could come and put some of our questions to peace and you'd be able to partake in that conversation. Hopefully you'll join up again in the future when you feel it's appropriate for you. Smile
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:28 pm

HuskyMom09 wrote:
UndarthAngipoo wrote:
Lyrril wrote:

Even if they are- it's so easy to become 'kennel blind' to your own lines to not be able to see your own dogs flaws.

Very true - that would have been where my next point went towards. You guys are too quick for me... might be the weather here (frost warning tonight, FML)... Ok, I digress... but anyway... yeah...
Back to top Go down
Lyrril
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:30 pm

The only thing that is happening by me replying to this, is serving to annoy the hell out of me. Quite honestly I could care less what people think. Everyone has their own set of standards. Snohomish is the first place I'd go to if I ever wanted another husky end of. I do not feel the need to elaborate any further.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:35 pm

If you didn't care, you wouldn't of gone on the offense in the first place.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:36 pm

A perfectly legitimate individual choice. Rigorous, breed-integrity driven standards are not going to appeal to every potential new puppy owner.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Lyrril wrote:
The only thing that is happening by me replying to this, is serving to annoy the hell out of me. Quite honestly I could care less what people think. Everyone has their own set of standards. Snohomish is the first place I'd go to if I ever wanted another husky end of. I do not feel the need to elaborate any further.

Nobody is saying you personally shall not be able to enter Snohomish if you ever wanted another husky, if you would like to ignore the opinions and facts presented, we're not going to shoot you. That is, and always will be, your choice. We are here to educate on proper breeding practices. But, and it's sad, I'm 100% sure that within my lifetime, there will be people who are irresponsible and breeding. If you choose to buy from that type of person, then all the more power to ya. If you are 100% with supporting a practice of this sort (even if it's because there may be something you know but we don't but you're withholding), then so be it.

BUT... for others out there who would like a sound puppy in all ways possible, this thread (and many, MANY others) are here for them.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors and really hope you don't end up with a puppy with hip dysplasia, and, please if nothing else, say hello to the x, y, and z police for me. wave
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:38 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
A perfectly legitimate individual choice. Rigorous, breed-integrity driven standards are not going to appeal to every potential new puppy owner.

I shouldn't laugh, but, tee hee!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Ha, that wasn't meant to be funny.... Wink It's just true. Clearly, telling human beings there are negative consequences for your choices is rarely ever a motivator to act differently.

Last edited by seattlesibe on Mon May 13, 2013 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lyrril
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:44 pm

I care about my friend being called unethical. Of course I'm going to go on the offence as she is not. But now my post is being picked apart, see such a lovely community? * sarcasm fully intended* Also considering that they are the same lines as mine, well yeah none of mine have hip dysplasia.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:49 pm

Honestly I wish there had been forums like this when I was looking to buy my first Siberian- even my second! I'm glad to have been able to have decent mentors along the way to point me in a more ethical way. I'm glad to have learned without having to go through too much of the negative stuff that can come with purchasing from breeders that don't breed for health or quality.

However, when I purchased my first Siberian I never imagined that a few years from bringing him into my life I'd be running a Siberian team and doing all I do with my dogs. That being said it makes me sad that he can no longer participate thanks to his bad rear he was born with- that likely his parents gave him because the breeder didn't breed for proper structure, health, and soundness.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:55 pm

If you denote your friend being unethical when we called her breeding practices unethical, that is only going to serve your own chagrin, not ours.

Your posts are not being picked apart. There's a difference being picked apart and requesting to clarify. There are items that you consider "facts" in your posts that people were asking clarifying questions against - if that got your back up to a wall, then perhaps reconsider how much you know about her breeding practices. We're not going to pin you to a wall if you don't know everything she does - just don't claim the total opposite of the spectrum of what she herself and her website says. Like I said before, there's no real way to convey emotion *unless you use these things* and blatantly spell it out, so I think there was a lot of taking stuff personally with respect to the thread matter.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 4:00 pm

It's just in this particular context with this particular issue the charges fit, perfectly. This is not a refection of her personality or your association with her.

This conversation should be rerouted to new, incoming members searching for puppies and away from the camps invested on both sides of an issue that is not going to change or solicit any camp-jumping.

There are issues, principles, technical merits, and motivations/consequences for these involved in breeding pure bred dogs. (fact)

You have a choice to make in purchasing your puppy that either implicitly or explicitly has a great deal to do with these facts.

The standards do not go away because somebody either doesn't know about them or chooses to ignore them. Pure bred dogs have a purpose and a way of validating that purpose, especially in the case of working dogs where it has little to do with aesthetics; there are necessarily heated issues involved in maintaining them and arguing for them that are going to polarize people.

The people on one side are gonna seem like fascists and the people on the other are going to seem like non-chalant libertarians.

The fact remains that the standards and principle will not go away so long as pure bred dogs are valued and worth having around. Quality and selectivity have consequences, always.

This issue is bigger than and prior to personal sensitivities.
Back to top Go down
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

Female Join date : 2013-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 4:06 pm

this escalated quickly.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 4:08 pm

It's all just text. I'm pretty sure nobody's punching holes in walls or taking medications Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Should I be scared of this breeder?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next