It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Should I be scared of this breeder?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptySat May 11, 2013 7:50 pm

Yeah - you can do searches on the CERF & OFA database - I highly doubt anything would come up for those.

And, don't feel bad, I ended up getting my dog from two people who just "wanted to have a litter", so far he's been good (knock on wood), but if I come into some extra money over the next year or two, I would like to get him tested (not for breeding purposes, but just to give me a piece of mind). There is always a chance that nothing would be wrong with them for their whole lives, but if they don't get the attention, are raised properly, and parents not having any required tests done, who knows what they're passing onto the next generation...
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Female Join date : 2013-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptySat May 11, 2013 10:18 pm

HuskyMom09 wrote:
I see they claim CERF's on eyes, yet nothing shows up on the search for the actual certification or results. I don't just 'trust' the word that the dog cleared without issue sorry. I would rather see the certification number that can be verified. I don't see anything on hip testing done. Again no certification numbers for hips, no proof any of the dogs passed. Many of the dams have visible bad rears, at least the few that were photographed standing up...

Edit- you do not always see 'health guarantees' on reputable breeders pages, for if anything were to come up on the health of a puppy bred by a reputable breeder it would be covered by the contract-
she did just get them done April 21 2013 and the website says there is a time lapse maybe that's why...hopefully
Back to top Go down
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

Female Join date : 2013-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptySat May 11, 2013 10:40 pm

i didnt mean for it to sound like those puppies are all going to br crappy by the way. i bet most of them will be healthy happy little fur boogers. it just scares me. i feel sorry for the mommy huskies who have nothing else in their life but giving birth .and you never know with places like that. she doesn't really specify. except payment options. that was very clear. at least thats all i saw .
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptySat May 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Eek I hope so lol it's hard finding one close because airlines won't ship to fl in the summer it gets to hot
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:20 pm

http://snohomishhuskies.muslovedogs.com/cms1/
is this one reputable? She wouldn't be to far of a drive for you and when I spoke with her she had just had a litter born
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptySun May 12, 2013 1:08 am

amora wrote:
is this one reputable? She wouldn't be to far of a drive for you and when I spoke with her she had just had a litter born

This one has red flags popping all over the place. I quickly glanced at this site and immediately was struck by several things. First, is the description of what they are breeding for. They come right out and say they are breeding for aesthetics, and not to better the breed. They don't show, but claim to have some show dogs coming into the lines. I don't see it from their males at all. 2 of their studs are less than 2 years old, one is actually not quite a year old. They're breeding woolies too, which is a huge red flag. I also didn't see anything about hip and eye testing, but in all fairness I scanned the site fairly quickly and could have missed it.

I would absolutely not buy a dog from this breeder at all. Honestly I would look at local rescues, you actually have a decent shot at finding a rescue within reasonable distance that has puppies. Our rescue has a litter of 8 (we're getting one of them in 2 weeks), and just took in a 9 week old today.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptySun May 12, 2013 1:25 am

ive looked for rescues. and its been slim to none, i cant even find a rescue husky near me at the moment. maybe i missd them, the internet is a fickle place.
Back to top Go down
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptySun May 12, 2013 1:28 am

maybe its just not in the cards for longer than i expected.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptySun May 12, 2013 2:05 am

You know many of us put in years of researching breeders, developing dialogue and relationships with the breeders, getting on waiting lists, all before getting a pup. This is not always a quick process. Honestly the breeders that are just willing to take your money with no questions asked- those scare me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptySun May 12, 2013 2:08 am

Yeah . I kinda just wanted to deny that fact of life and cross my fingers for a but of luck. But no one is te exception Smile I will wait of course. And it's probably best anyways . I will have even more time to prepare my life for him/her ! And they scare me too !
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptySun May 12, 2013 2:17 am

blueeyedghost wrote:
amora wrote:

This one has red flags popping all over the place. I quickly glanced at this site and immediately was struck by several things. First, is the description of what they are breeding for. They come right out and say they are breeding for aesthetics, and not to better the breed. They don't show, but claim to have some show dogs coming into the lines. I don't see it from their males at all. 2 of their studs are less than 2 years old, one is actually not quite a year old. They're breeding woolies too, which is a huge red flag. I also didn't see anything about hip and eye testing, but in all fairness I scanned the site fairly quickly and could have missed it.

I would absolutely not buy a dog from this breeder at all. Honestly I would look at local rescues, you actually have a decent shot at finding a rescue within reasonable distance that has puppies. Our rescue has a litter of 8 (we're getting one of them in 2 weeks), and just took in a 9 week old today.

The last litter Wolf X Suki is good looking IMO but you are right to say that breeding just for aesthetics is not a good reason to breed. Also the pedigree of the pups seems fishy. I guess it possible that a dog in the 4th generation could have been born in the late 80's, but it happens more than once with the CH dogs. Hmmm...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptySun May 12, 2013 2:20 pm

I've heard plenty about snohomi sh and let me just say, nothing of what I have heard is good.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptySun May 12, 2013 2:24 pm

I haven't heard of snohomish siberians before- but what I see is not good-
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptySun May 12, 2013 7:11 pm

I don't even know too much about picking puppies, but that definitely raises some red flags. Also, if you click on "Why I Breed" in the About Us tab, it takes you to somebody else's page... WTF?!? Red flags, stay away!
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptySun May 12, 2013 7:25 pm

Personally, I would stay away from anybody breeding wolf-hybrids and intentionally breeding woolies. Those are purely for making money and they make it pretty obvious that the breeder is pretty much interested solely in the cash.
Back to top Go down
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptySun May 12, 2013 7:31 pm

Yeah definitely not !!
Back to top Go down
soul embrace
Teenager
Teenager
soul embrace

Male Join date : 2013-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 12:33 am

khollon wrote:
ive looked for rescues. and its been slim to none, i cant even find a rescue husky near me at the moment. maybe i missd them, the internet is a fickle place.

here is an alabama husky rescue: http://alsiberianhuskyrescue.com
Back to top Go down
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 12:54 am

They probably won't take puppies , they only save animals from death row, I'm trying to get a puppy because we will have people other than me and my boyfriend with us and another dog, and I would prefer to raise the dog and know its past and it's temperament instead. It's last resort to adopt an adult dog because of that . I'd like to adopt. I would just think it's safer that way ?
Back to top Go down
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 12:56 am

Awh but look at him Sad(
Back to top Go down
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 1:14 am

http://alsiberianhuskyrescue.com/adoptable-dogs.html look at him . I meant. Lol
armand
and luka Smile
Back to top Go down
SnohomishHuskies
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:43 am

eddycaaa wrote:
blueeyedghost wrote:
amora wrote:

The last litter Wolf X Suki is good looking IMO but you are right to say that breeding just for aesthetics is not a good reason to breed. Also the pedigree of the pups seems fishy. I guess it possible that a dog in the 4th generation could have been born in the late 80's, but it happens more than once with the CH dogs. Hmmm...

I was just checking stats on my page and see my dogs/site was mentioned here. You are all allowed your own opinions on things. I do NOT appreciate any insinuations about my program (NOT in reference to the above quoted post, but to another one).

Am I breeding solely about aesthetics? No. There are certain things I'm striving for as a breeder that you will find with my dogs and there are certain things I truly like that other people are not going to breed for. I do like a longer coat. True woolly is recessive and I don't get it often despite the fact I do have some woollies in my program. I am breeding for a consistent look though regardless of coat length. I do tell people it is considered a fault, but there a lot of people who do like it, myself included. Breed to improve the breed, that is a given when breeding, but it's an easy answer, I could put those words on my site, but I chose to go with something more describing what, as a breeder I am trying to do beyond that in my own little world. Some people like what I do, some don't and those that do help me continue doing what I love and I am grateful for that. I generally have correct huskies to start with and that to me is super important. There is only one dog I have in my program that is NOT consistent with what I breed, but I know what his father crossed with my dogs produced and if he does the same he will be bred again, if not, he won't. But that is neither here nor there.

I post my younger stock even though I am not currently breeding them. I do CERF dogs, I do not do hips. There is a reason for that and if someone wants to talk to me on an individual basis I have no problem explaining my thought processes, but I'm also not concerned with changing someone's mind who already has it made it up and is not willing to listen. A big part of it is based upon my years of experience in another breed that is known for hip issues and the research I did then.

I'm not here to sell anyone my dogs. The dogs in many of my lines go back to older stock BECAUSE the woman who developed the line started breeding many years ago. I AM bringing in some outside stock now that crosses well on my lines, they are more current show lines and are not reflected on my site. My site is not the bible for what I do, but it does show many of my dogs, past and present. Check back in a few years and you will see what I'm doing further (I retain much of my own stock). My line is always a work in progress, it IS all about improving, perfecting, etc, but as I said above that should be a given when breeding. I am not personally interested in showing because of the politics involved. To each his own.

It is easy to have an opinion and I respect that everyone is allowed one, but when it is based on very little other than a quick glance or pure emotion, it isn't worth a lot. If you have a personal problem with me or my dogs, please bring it to my attention privately. All I have is my reputation and I work very hard to produce a quality dog (regardless of coat length).

For someone looking to purchase a pup, here is what I suggest, you need to go and see the dogs, see your pup, and make sure that is the dog you want. Be it from a rescue or a breeder, NEVER rush into it if you don't know what you are looking for. I know what I am looking for when I am looking for a dog, but it took years for me to develop my eye and my knowledge. I can see things in a pup that you won't be able to. A good breeder should be able to guide you to a pup suited for you (and not just because it is the only one available).

The problem with taking on an older dog is that some are great and some not so great. Sure do it, but be prepared to give them time to adjust. A lot of the time you do not see their true personalities at first, it takes a few weeks to a month (or longer, each dog is different). If you feel you truly want an older dog, go for it, just realize what you are committing to either way and go in with you eyes wide open. Puppy or adult, it is a lot of work, but if you put the time in, you WILL get it back ten-fold.

People will tell you to rescue, people will tell you to go to a breeder, honestly you need to do what is best FOR YOU. Puppies are cute... but they grow up. And they still are cute (especially huskies!!), but just remember it is years and years of commitment. Really evaluate what you want and are looking for and go from there.

I hate threads like this because it gets into a lot of nitpicking and trash talking. Let's throw out the baby with the bathwater. Talk to the breeder, ask for proof/explanations and DO YOUR OWN DUE DILIGENCE. If you don't feel comfortable do not buy. I cannot stress it enough, DO NOT BUY A DOG YOU ARE NOT 100% COMFORTABLE WITH. Good luck in your search.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 10:10 am

SnohomishHuskies wrote:

I was just checking stats on my page and see my dogs/site was mentioned here. You are all allowed your own opinions on things. I do NOT appreciate any insinuations about my program (NOT in reference to the above quoted post, but to another one).

Am I breeding solely about aesthetics? No. There are certain things I'm striving for as a breeder that you will find with my dogs and there are certain things I truly like that other people are not going to breed for. I do like a longer coat. True woolly is recessive and I don't get it often despite the fact I do have some woollies in my program. I am breeding for a consistent look though regardless of coat length. I do tell people it is considered a fault, but there a lot of people who do like it, myself included. Breed to improve the breed, that is a given when breeding, but it's an easy answer, I could put those words on my site, but I chose to go with something more describing what, as a breeder I am trying to do beyond that in my own little world. Some people like what I do, some don't and those that do help me continue doing what I love and I am grateful for that. I generally have correct huskies to start with and that to me is super important. There is only one dog I have in my program that is NOT consistent with what I breed, but I know what his father crossed with my dogs produced and if he does the same he will be bred again, if not, he won't. But that is neither here nor there.

So you DON'T breed solely for aesthetics, but you DO breed for a consistent look? Something's sounding off to me here. How do you expect to breed to better the breed when you're breeding for a certain look? Dogs weren't meant to be 'pretty' they were meant for working and companionship. You say you have "Correct" huskies to start with - how is that possible when some of them carry the wooly coat which is a fault for Confirmation AND Working lines?

SnohomishHuskies wrote:

I post my younger stock even though I am not currently breeding them. I do CERF dogs, I do not do hips. There is a reason for that and if someone wants to talk to me on an individual basis I have no problem explaining my thought processes, but I'm also not concerned with changing someone's mind who already has it made it up and is not willing to listen. A big part of it is based upon my years of experience in another breed that is known for hip issues and the research I did then.

I'm am almost 100% certain that if you have found a miraculous reason not to do hip testing on your dogs, PLEASE post it publicly - you may have changed the entire world of Siberian Husky breeding with a breakthrough the public would need to know... From what I've read and understood, unless hip dysplasia is FULLY ERADICATED, it will always be a concern. And a huge part of bettering the breed is to make sure you do every single thing in your power not to pass on genes with hip defects.

SnohomishHuskies wrote:

I'm not here to sell anyone my dogs. The dogs in many of my lines go back to older stock BECAUSE the woman who developed the line started breeding many years ago. I AM bringing in some outside stock now that crosses well on my lines, they are more current show lines and are not reflected on my site. My site is not the bible for what I do, but it does show many of my dogs, past and present. Check back in a few years and you will see what I'm doing further (I retain much of my own stock). My line is always a work in progress, it IS all about improving, perfecting, etc, but as I said above that should be a given when breeding. I am not personally interested in showing because of the politics involved. To each his own.

Improving your lines and bettering the breed isn't exactly the same thing. I took a look at what you posted about the woman that originally started the kennel, and it's vastly different about why you are continuing it. It's almost to the point where there is nothing left from what Ann's legacy for the kennel was in terms of breeding.

Quote :

BREEDING
Snohomish has collected Siberian huskies from around the globe for a number of years. We are developing our own line, and we are represented in the show ring. However, we are still very much involved in working Siberians, and this remains to be our first love.
We do not compromise the health of a litter to produce an appealing exterior. We do not compromise the health of a litter to produce all blue eyes. The most important reason to breed Siberians is to produce an animal that is healthy as well as having an exceptional temperament.
The politics of breeding, driven and fueled by money, has produced many genetic defects, not only in Siberians but in purebred dogs in general. If a breeder wants to produce a perfect, show worthy litter there is a price tag, because there is no perfect animal. Look at the dogs that run the Iditerod and you will see sturdy, healthy specimens. Probably very few will do well in the show ring. It is the responsibility of the breeder to acquaint the buyer to the hard fact that perhaps the truly most remarkable dog could be the worst show dog. Let us all applaud the Siberian, as he is a special animal, and we wish to keep him that way.

If you decide to continue breeding your stock of woolies and plush coats for a "look", something has clearly gone wrong along the way and I really hope you revisit this.

SnohomishHuskies wrote:

It is easy to have an opinion and I respect that everyone is allowed one, but when it is based on very little other than a quick glance or pure emotion, it isn't worth a lot. If you have a personal problem with me or my dogs, please bring it to my attention privately. All I have is my reputation and I work very hard to produce a quality dog (regardless of coat length).

For someone looking to purchase a pup, here is what I suggest, you need to go and see the dogs, see your pup, and make sure that is the dog you want. Be it from a rescue or a breeder, NEVER rush into it if you don't know what you are looking for. I know what I am looking for when I am looking for a dog, but it took years for me to develop my eye and my knowledge. I can see things in a pup that you won't be able to. A good breeder should be able to guide you to a pup suited for you (and not just because it is the only one available).

You forgot to add in the part where they should be ACTIVELY showing and/or working their dogs (with proof). If they're showing they should only be breeding dogs that are pointed or championed since those dogs have something to pass on to the next generation. Oh, and one more thing... what was it... oh yeah, make sure they do eye & hip testing.

SnohomishHuskies wrote:

The problem with taking on an older dog is that some are great and some not so great. Sure do it, but be prepared to give them time to adjust. A lot of the time you do not see their true personalities at first, it takes a few weeks to a month (or longer, each dog is different). If you feel you truly want an older dog, go for it, just realize what you are committing to either way and go in with you eyes wide open. Puppy or adult, it is a lot of work, but if you put the time in, you WILL get it back ten-fold.

Can I just state the obvious here and say that even if you get a puppy, you could end up with ALL the same problems? Giving people any sort of idea that a puppy is "easier" than a rescue is total bullshit. Their issues may be different, but they would require the same amount of work (often more with a puppy in terms of housetraining, teething etc). So please, if you're going to continue selling puppies, make sure you tell the potential buyers that it IS a lot of work - there are enough dogs abandoned and about to be put down, we don't need anymore "Oh, I didn't know he'd be like THIS!" excuses.

SnohomishHuskies wrote:

People will tell you to rescue, people will tell you to go to a breeder, honestly you need to do what is best FOR YOU. Puppies are cute... but they grow up. And they still are cute (especially huskies!!), but just remember it is years and years of commitment. Really evaluate what you want and are looking for and go from there.

This I shalt not argue...for I agree with it...

SnohomishHuskies wrote:

I hate threads like this because it gets into a lot of nitpicking and trash talking. Let's throw out the baby with the bathwater. Talk to the breeder, ask for proof/explanations and DO YOUR OWN DUE DILIGENCE. If you don't feel comfortable do not buy. I cannot stress it enough, DO NOT BUY A DOG YOU ARE NOT 100% COMFORTABLE WITH. Good luck in your search.

Can I just point out, threads like this is why a lot of people have ended up not supporting BYBs or puppy mills. Threads like this educate - it's a forum for crying out loud! This is where people post questions and replies based on what they know, and if somebody more knowledgeable comes along, then everybody learns something. If we didn't have threads like this, kennels could have very easily been out of business by now... Including yours...
Back to top Go down
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 11:33 am

Okay guys . Can we not get into an argument on my thread . I was asking for help and advice on breeders and if anybody could point me toward breeders that strive for healthy happy dogs that give their dogs a good life other than just breed breed breed. Snohomish has every right to defend her/his kennel or whatever it's called . And maybe it's not all based on fact snohomish. But it's based on the information that you have on your website. the people that looked . I guess. I don't know I didn't look very hard. If you feel that you have done everything in your power to make these pups healthy and you aren't doing anything bad then you have nothing to worry about . Because it shouldn't be just soley on reputation. I would love to talk to you more in depth though about our health requirements and etc.

Angela is So right in so many ways . If it wasn't for forums I would def be lost . I learned about hip and eye testing here , which now that have leaned about them I find them mandatory . If you have a reason that it shouldn't be I will be glad to listen with an open mind .
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 11:47 am

Quote :
Am I breeding solely about aesthetics? No. There are certain things I'm striving for as a breeder that you will find with my dogs and there are certain things I truly like that other people are not going to breed for.
I am curious - what are you breeding for that you like so much (aside from aesthetics/coat length) that other people aren't and how, then, does it better our breed?

Quote :
I generally have correct huskies to start with and that to me is super important.
How do you have "correct huskies" when you don't do anything to prove they are "correct"? You don't do any kind of sport with them that I can see (this extends far beyond conformation) and you don't work them in harness so how can they be "correct"? You say you strive for conformation but do nothing that proves they have proper conformation.

Quote :
Breed to improve the breed, that is a given when breeding, but it's an easy answer, I could put those words on my site,...
To me, this sounds like you're trying to be a special snowflake "I could put this on my site but...everyone does it so no". Every person who breeds, be it an excellent show or working kennel or the backyard breeder down the street thinks they're "bettering the breed" (if you ask why I say the BYB down the street is trying to better the breed because their dog has "lovely temperament, is so smart and learns so quickly and isn't aggressive and they want other people to have such a wonderful dog!" - in their eyes they're bettering the breed). So how are you REALLY bettering the breed by breeding "dogs that look like wolves" with longer/more plush/wooly coats?

Quote :
I do CERF dogs, I do not do hips.
Fantastic! You do CERF and for the breed that is great since eye problems are so common. However, why not do hips and why not OPENLY discuss why you don't do hips? Breeders should be VERY open about the reasons they do or do not do something and they should not just be open with their puppy buyers but with the general public - especially when it comes to health testing.

Quote :
I AM bringing in some outside stock now that crosses well on my lines,
Again, how do you know something crosses well on your lines if you don't know what faults your dogs have (other than wooly's being faulty but yet you still strive to actively produce them) and what their strong points are if you don't work them in some venue or in harness?

Quote :
I am not personally interested in showing because of the politics involved. To each his own.
While I understand this reasoning - One way (of many) to prove your dogs are "correct" is to get out and show them. If they're as correct as you claim then you should very much so want to get out and PROVE your dogs as being such. Politics or not aside - you should WANT to get out and get your dogs seen by other breeders.

Quote :
SnohomishHuskies wrote:

Can I just state the obvious here and say that even if you get a puppy, you could end up with ALL the same problems? Giving people any sort of idea that a puppy is "easier" than a rescue is total bullshit. Their issues may be different, but they would require the same amount of work (often more with a puppy in terms of housetraining, teething etc). So please, if you're going to continue selling puppies, make sure you tell the potential buyers that it IS a lot of work - there are enough dogs abandoned and about to be put down, we don't need anymore "Oh, I didn't know he'd be like THIS!" excuses.

SnohomishHuskies wrote:

This I shalt not argue...for I agree with it...

quoted that entire thing because I wholeheartedly agree and couldn't have said it better than Angela

From looking at your website I see that you had 4 litters in 5 months. Why so many litters? Is this normal? I also see that you charge more based on coat color and type - why? Coat color and type and eye color DO.NOT.MATTER. So why charge more money - especially as a breeder that "isn't breeding solely for aesthetics" but is breeding to "better the breed"

Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 Oil_pa11

Last edited by Niraya on Mon May 13, 2013 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : So many spelling errors.)
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 12:51 pm

I believe the real issue was with my comment about not hearing anything good about your breeding choices.

I personally believe anyone who breeds or condones breeding a "mastweiler" is less than ethical.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Should I be scared of this breeder?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next