It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Should I be scared of this breeder?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 12:45 pm

eddycaaa wrote:
wpskier222 wrote:
Plus, once you do find the right one, then you have the agony of waiting for a litter, and then the agony of waiting for the munchkin to be 8 weeks old. I have 7 days and 20 hours before Dizzy comes home... I have had my count down timer going on my iphone for 79 days...

lol! Its so true!!! I have about the same time to wait (a week or so) and it's agonizing the closer I get to pick-up day.

What day is your baby coming home?
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 12:48 pm

Saturday, May 4th. Same day as you, right?
Its 4 days earlier than 8 weeks, but it fits our schedule better to get her that day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 12:54 pm

Yep! Mine will be 9, fits our schedule well too. I'm forcing myself not to visit this weekend, the temptation to bring him home will be too great. lol
Back to top Go down
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

Female Join date : 2013-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 5:21 pm

sunny DOXHOBBI emailed me !!!! It's like they heard me talking about it ! They said that they will be at a show this weekend and to call them Sunday night or any weekday night
And they want us to come over And meet the dogs and talk about
Siberian huskies in general . Good thing we live so close we have the same zip !!
They hope to breed their girl after te championship , in the fairly near fiture is how they put it ,
Which sounds like its going to be perfect timing for us . Very Happy sunny Laughing
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 5:33 pm

that's great to hear! Good luck hope all goes well Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Me too Smile do you think they would tell me we are too young ? We are moving into a house that we are gonna own . I take online classes , and my boyfriend only goes to school two days a week , I work and he just takes a full course load ( 4 classes all on Tuesday and Thursday ) and we are gonna have two other people living wth us. Do you think that's someone try would say no too?
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Female Join date : 2013-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 5:43 pm

I am glad to hear that they got back to you! Smile
They may tell you that, Just when you go to meet the dogs make sure you present yourself as maturely as possible and make a good impression, and I am sure there will be no problems! Wink
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 5:50 pm

Its more of a case by case scenario. If you seem to have your life squared away, a reasonable exercise plan, fencing or at least a housing plan, general knowledge of the breed you should be good. If the breeder senses you aren't in a stable position or have no idea what you are in for, then yes a no could be likely. The fact there are people home almost every day is optimistic, buying a home another plus. I'd assume you have the OK from your current landlord if you aren't in a ownership position quite yet. Those are just some of the things that would be expected I'd guess.
Back to top Go down
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 12:53 am

Oh should be good . Because I am the master of plants . I am working with my boyfriend to set up what kid of schedule and training we should use . I've read books , countless websites . I stay on this forum. I've had friends with huskies. I'm kind of the (wo)man with the plan. Researched the breed for about three months straight not counting the years before when I wanted one as a kid. I keep reading things I've already read, I don't know why, but I do it. I will be crushed :/
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Female Join date : 2013-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 5:30 pm

I put a deposit down on Christopher's husky ranch Blacki and Loki litter Smile I can scope the place out for you when I go pick my pup up at the beginning of July Smile
Back to top Go down
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 5:59 pm

Pleaseeee do Smile that'd be great ! Are you in Alabama ?
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 6:06 pm

Florida was one of the closest ones that didn't scream byb. There was also alluga siberians in texas I was looking at but it was just to far of a drive...she was very nice really cares about where her puppies are going it was like a 30min grilling session on the phone
Back to top Go down
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 6:45 pm

Ah gotcha . Doxhobbi is who I am hoping for .thwy are in my immediate area and They do conformation shows . And they might* be breeding their girl sometime this year . But I want a husky , not might want a husky . So I have to keep my options open
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 9:52 pm

I would wait for Doxhobbi - and run far away from the other.

Let us know how it works out for you khollon and good luck.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 10:42 pm

When you say the other do you mean the ranch one ? And thank you very much Smile I definitely will Smile
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptyFri May 10, 2013 12:43 pm

I would echo Megan on this one. If you can, at all costs, I would avoid buying from Christophers if I had a remote change of getting a Doxhobbi one. Christopher's has like, what, 6 litters within two months?? That screams fishy to me. Stay far faaaarrrrrrrrr away from them.
Back to top Go down
kballa1
Newborn
Newborn
kballa1

Female Join date : 2013-05-11

PostSubject: Re:    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 2:11 am

Wow, maybe I should have seen this website earlier this year. I really don't know anything about dog breeding or siberian huskies but I knew I wanted one. I looked around trying to find a breeder and this one was closer to where I am from. I stay in Alabama. The Puppy Lovs Kennel is where I put my deposit down. The litter is due around May 20th of this month. I never knew about the testing that needed to be done.

I did go visit the kennel in February and spoke with the breeder. The facilities were clean and everything but I guess I was naive to the other things I should look for. Oh well I guess I will see in a couple of months when I receive my husky. Im crossing my fingers that everything will turn out ok.
Back to top Go down
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 4:58 am

Oh no . That website is very sketch . I am pretty sure try don't do health testing . It was Wayy to glitz and glam. It kinda screamed we make our huskies sex slaves so we can sell puppies . But I am crossing my fingers for you . And don't feel bad about not knowing. I am learning because I joined this forum

Edit : to be fair when I last looked at the site it looked a lot worse . But they still don't talk about anything on the topic if the well being of the dogs if the show them or not, they just talk about stuff to make them money. But I could just be setting standards too High. If that's possible

And can anybody enlighten me in the deal with breeding akc registered dog breeding . I thought they had to be shown to be bred or am I confused ?
Back to top Go down
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 5:34 am

What part of Alabama are you from?
Back to top Go down
kballa1
Newborn
Newborn
kballa1

Female Join date : 2013-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 9:34 am

I live in Huntsville.
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Male Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 9:45 am

I got Nikko from puppy lov. I also got him before I knew about breeders and proper practices and all that fun stuff. Nikko has been great so far though. Healthy(knock on wood), great eater, big personality, extremely smart and friendly.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 9:47 am

Basically any pure bred dog with registered parents can be registered. It doesn't mean the dog is healthy, a good representation of the breed, shown, worked, or used for anything other than producing litter after litter until they die. Your description of sex slaves is apt in my opinion. That's why puppy mills can get away with selling akc puppies even though there are very little standards of care there and zero standards in terms of health and quality with the parents. I think of the akc more like a database or like a library for cataloging dogs, or a family tree. You just send in the papers and poof you have a registered dog. The only price of entry is a small fee and a form. Unfortunately, akc registration has nothing to do with a quality puppy. I'm glad you're doing research and thinking deeply about what you want for your puppy. The most important thing to me in my search, was the purpose of the breedings and the health, well being, and living conditions of all the dogs kept at the kennel. I had many criteria, including health testing, but the number one question is why? Ask yourself why they are breeding.

Edit - just a note, it's not to say buying a puppy from a mill like Christopher's or puppy luv means its a guarantee of health problems, you might get lucky and get a perfectly healthy dog, but there is no health testing either.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 10:41 am

I'll second that just because they come from a puppy mill doesn't mean they are going to be riddled with disease....thought the chances go way up due to the lack of testing. My first Siberian is a mill dog and for the most part he is healthy, now. He had a rough start in which he almost didn't make it. He came to us seeming fine, then soon became lethargic, developed thick slimy mucusy discharge out of his nose, and was hospitalized for 2 weeks receiving round the clock treatment for a very advanced case of Kennel Cough. He did come with a ton of behavioral issues, as well, that all stemmed from lack of socialization- I'm sorry there is no way that places that are popping out 6+ litters every 6 months are socializing puppies properly- potty training was far more difficult than my other puppies have been. He is not a horrible representation of the breed, but he's not a good one either. He has a terrible rear, he loves to run with the team but is limited by his structure to how far he can go. I also anticipate at some point this rear will become painful for him. He is now 9 years old and still going strong, seemingly overcoming his rocky beginning-
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Christophers actually does do the hip and eye testing on their dogs and puppies come with a health gaurantee I don't think the other two breeders do though
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 7:33 pm

I see they claim CERF's on eyes, yet nothing shows up on the search for the actual certification or results. I don't just 'trust' the word that the dog cleared without issue sorry. I would rather see the certification number that can be verified. I don't see anything on hip testing done. Again no certification numbers for hips, no proof any of the dogs passed. Many of the dams have visible bad rears, at least the few that were photographed standing up...

Edit- you do not always see 'health guarantees' on reputable breeders pages, for if anything were to come up on the health of a puppy bred by a reputable breeder it would be covered by the contract-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I be scared of this breeder?    Breeder - Should I be scared of this breeder?  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Should I be scared of this breeder?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next