It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
iceiceice
Newborn
Newborn
iceiceice

Male Join date : 2013-12-11

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  Empty
PostSubject: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 5:37 am

Hi, about 3 months ago i got my bud, he weighs 102.8lb (46kg) and is massive. Whenever we go to the dog park he is almost double the size of every other
Siberian there, more in line with the Malamutes. But he doesn't look like a malamute and he has ice blue eyes (malamutes only have brown eyes). His coat is also more similar to a Siberian. I'm not aware of his past history besides his previous owner and they said they only had him for two years (he's four years old). My vet said he could stand to lose about 8lbs. You can easily feel his ribs too. His paws are the size of my hands (I'm 5'10). I wanna think he's part malamute or at the very least had some malamute somewhere in his sire line..But he doesn't look like a malamute at all (at least to me).

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  PJh9Twuh

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  FGV9lGTh

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  8fvpxsyh

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  Qs61rtWh

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  7arjSAlh

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  Pfauep6h

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  W3V3bw4h

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  W23OXZqh

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  WHkujYMh

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  GNoUrTDh

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  1fg6psch

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  WIrAcu7h

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  8WIPTM6h
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 6:14 am

May want to put up a photo of him with something when can use to judge his size difference... maybe a coffee mug next to his feet for example... because from the pics he looks like a fairly typical husky to me.

Last edited by histi on Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Back to top Go down
iceiceice
Newborn
Newborn
iceiceice

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 7:11 am

Sure thing here are some more photos,

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  V5YC526h

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  T55Wy27h

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  YI74zhhh

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  Hlfxcneh

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  OhPnmsPh

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  QthsyXGh

Any better?

Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 9:53 am

I agree he looks like a pretty normal husky, just, well bigger, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have some mal in him. Also, I don't mean any offense, but I think he could stand to lose more that 8 lbs. Has the vet checked his hips out? The way he's sitting in the first couple of pix worries me. He's a cutie!
Back to top Go down
iceiceice
Newborn
Newborn
iceiceice

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 10:38 am

wpskier222 wrote:
I agree he looks like a pretty normal husky, just, well bigger, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have some mal in him. Also, I don't mean any offense, but I think he could stand to lose more that 8 lbs. Has the vet checked his hips out? The way he's sitting in the first couple of pix worries me. He's a cutie!

I'm not sure if they checked his hips specifically but he's been to the vet pretty frequently recently because we got his shots and also got him de-wormed and she sad he's in good health just needs to lose a bit of weight. I think it's a combination of the angle and the fact he has no grip on our floors. If he sits normally he slides forward so he sits awkward. It's because of all the hair between his paws that sticks out.
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Nanook is part Malamute (with ice blue eyes) and looks all Husky as well. My vet says he will be bigger then a husky...not sure if that will hold true, He will be 1 years old on the 29th and weights about 53lb.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 3:24 pm

I agree with Jen, he looks like he could stand to lose quite a few more pounds. He's a chunky monkey!
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 3:37 pm

dahowlers wrote:
I agree with Jen, he looks like he could stand to lose quite a few more pounds. He's a chunky monkey!

Shake that fluffy butt for me! Shake that butt for me!

Lol I have a sad sense of humor
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 3:54 pm

iceiceice wrote:

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  Pfauep6h

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  W3V3bw4h

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  W23OXZqh

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  WHkujYMh
These are the pictures that make him look really chunk, the pictures from above him don't make him look big though.
Back to top Go down
iceiceice
Newborn
Newborn
iceiceice

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 4:47 pm

Based, off what the vet said, his weight didn't seem to be that much of a problem to her, maybe not? I wish i had measure tape but based off his size in comparison to other breed standards I'd guess he's between 28 and 29 inches tall, I'm thinking more about 28 but he might be bigger.

I'm actually about to switch his dog food, what do you recommend so he can lose a bit of weight ? He's currently been eating a costco brand called "atta boy" for the time he's been with me because i didn't wanna stress him out more by changing his food, but it's been 3-4 months now and I was gonna change it to taste of the wild. He gets some decent exercise as well, i walk him 3-4 times a day and he goes to the dog park for 1-2 hours once to twice a week.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 4:56 pm

Is that their grain-free one? It's not so much what you're feed as much as how much you're feeding. How much are you feeding? I have yet to meet a vet that actually follows/knows what a healthy weight for a dog looks like, similarly to how most vets actually know close to nothing about actual species-appropriate animal nutrition.
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 5:04 pm

I like Orijen if your husky will eat it. Keyto wouldnt unless the Cats tried to get it... She is a fussy we princess  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
iceiceice
Newborn
Newborn
iceiceice

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 5:24 pm

dahowlers wrote:
Is that their grain-free one? It's not so much what you're feed as much as how much you're feeding. How much are you feeding? I have yet to meet a vet that actually follows/knows what a healthy weight for a dog looks like, similarly to how most vets actually know close to nothing about actual species-appropriate animal nutrition.

No it's not the grain free one. I feed him 2 cups a day. He's been this weight since he came to me, I haven't made an effort to reduce his weight because i was told it wasn't really a problem as long as he didn't get any bigger. He's a really BIG dog, not a MEDIUM sized overweight husky. He is not breed standard, no where close to it.

I've also noticed he's REALLY lazy for a husky. He sleeps all day, not bouncing off the walls. Haha, when i throw a ball he looks at the ball, looks back to me, and then lays down. I bought one of those rubber kong toys for him too; he pawed it around with his paw for a bit and then he didn't touch it again. He loves the dogpark and his walks though.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Well that's a good amount for him, both of our huskies get fed two cups a day. They're 60 lbs and 55 lbs. Snoopy will eat everything he can get in his mouth and Nunya hardly eats the two cups, but he's also really skinny. What is his daily exercise? Most huskies are pretty lazy in the house, Snoopy and Nunya both are, but take Snoopy for a bike ride and he'll run until he drops haha But the look on his face is just pure ecstasy.
Most huskies are also "to good" to play fetch x3 I had to teach Snoopy to fetch by free-shaping a retrieve, it was a pain and he'll still only bring stuff back for like five throw before he gets bored.
Back to top Go down
iceiceice
Newborn
Newborn
iceiceice

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 5:58 pm

Haha too good to play fetch, as high of a prey drive they have you'd think they chase the ball, I guess it's just not intuitive to mine, I know some huskies play fetch but not mine. I stated his exercise above in a previous post.

Quote :
He gets some decent exercise as well, i walk him 3-4 times a day and he goes to the dog park for 1-2 hours once to twice a week.
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 6:23 pm

Costco also has Nature Domain, it is grain free. That's what I feed Nanook and he loves the salmon one.
Playing fetch with Nanook is so funny. I throw the ball and he will run to it, run around it about 5 times then brings it back to me but has to run around me 5 times before he will give it to me. So 1 throw is about 5 minutes of exercise LOL..He will do it about 5 times before he looks at me like I am crazy and takes himself and the ball into the house.
Back to top Go down
iceiceice
Newborn
Newborn
iceiceice

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 6:25 pm

Trailtoad1 wrote:
Costco also has Nature Domain, it is grain free. That's what I feed Nanook and he loves the salmon one.
Playing fetch with Nanook is so funny. I throw the ball and he will run to it, run around it about 5 times then brings it back to me but has to run around me 5 times before he will give it to me. So 1 throw is about 5 minutes of exercise LOL..He will do it about 5 times before he looks at me like I am crazy and takes himself and the ball into the house.

Mine looks at me like I'm crazy the first time i throw it, and he doesn't even get up. I don't actually have a costco membership, I had his previous owners buy me another bag. I didn't wanna change his food quick because I just got him 3 months ago, so i wanted it to be as smooth a transition as possible, it was good he already knew me.

Last edited by iceiceice on Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Keyto did the same for 5 months. She has now sussed it out just last week. She is 5 years old.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Whoops, sorry I missed that haha
Back to top Go down
Husky Guide Expert
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  EmptyMon Nov 20, 2023 3:36 pm

Unveiling the overweight Husky tale, Discover the key reasons behind their extra pounds, from overfeeding pitfalls to exercise essentials.

Overweight Huskies stem from overfeeding and limited exercise. Optimal health demands a balanced diet and regular physical activity.

It is essential for your Husky’s health that they maintain a healthy weight. As adults, female should weigh 35 to 50 pounds and male 45 to 60 pounds. By feeling the rib cage and looking at the body’s shape, you can regularly check for signs of being overweight.
Back to top Go down
https://www.geekhusky.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?    Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1