It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Reputable Breeders Near KY

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chewie55
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2014-07-16

Reputable Breeders Near KY Empty
PostSubject: Reputable Breeders Near KY   Reputable Breeders Near KY EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 3:38 am

Hi! I'm new to this forum - I actually don't even have a husky yet! I'm looking to getting a pup, but I have no clue of any good breeders. Have any of you gotten a puppy from a breeder near Kentucky (western Kentucky specifically) or just know of any good reputable breeders near me? I know of Harley's Paws, but I read several bad reviews for them and I wasn't sure if they were any good. I'm not even really sure what to look for in a good breeder, I've never adopted a purebred dog from a breeder before. Thanks  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Reputable Breeders Near KY   Reputable Breeders Near KY EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 9:27 am

Hi and welcome! Smile First of all, you are purchasing a puppy from a breeder, not adopting. It's semantics, I know, but one of my personal annoyances (and most breeders do as well). Anyway, here are some resources for finding a good breeder:

Siberian Husky Club of America Homepage

Guidelines for Ethical Breeding

Ethical Sales Practices

Common Hereditary Health Problems in Siberians

Breeder Directory/Referral

I am not sure where in western KY you are, or how far you are willing to go, but there is a very well known breeder in TN called Kristari. They breed some of the top siberians in the country and have been breeding siberians for a long time. She also frequently has litters. I would suggest being willing to travel a ways for a reputable breeder. You might have to go out of your way a bit more, but the long term health and quality of your puppy will more than make up for it. Remember, this is a 10-15 year commitment if you're lucky, and you want a dog that is going to be healthy for the duration of that life. I can't stress enough how important it is to support a quality breeder. They will make you jump through a few more hoops to make sure their puppies are truly going to good homes, but isn't it worth dealing with that to get a great puppy? Smile

Good luck in your search and welcome to the forum! Smile It's such a positive thing that you are starting out asking for help from those of us who are passionate about the breed. Let me know if you have any questions. I hope you find a puppy, and then post lots, and lots, and lots of pictures. We love pictures here.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Reputable Breeders Near KY   Reputable Breeders Near KY EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 9:34 am

Also, RUN DON'T WALK, RUN, RUN, RUN, RUN from Harley's... The first thing I noticed when browsing their sight is that they have a merle colored female, Twister. Here is the statement from the Siberian Husky Club of American regarding merle colored Siberians. This breeder is about as far from reputable as you could possibly get.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Reputable Breeders Near KY   Reputable Breeders Near KY EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 9:39 am

One other thing to note is that they act like they test hips, but a) they list the wrong test as the hip test and b) they say a 7 year old dog is too young to hip test, hip testing should be done on any breeding dog at the age of 2, and done every year following.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Reputable Breeders Near KY   Reputable Breeders Near KY EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 9:51 am

I could go on about this all day, there are so many horrible things about Harley's, but if you go to Twister's page, then click the link that says "spotted by stormchasers," it takes you to her pedigree. If you click on her mother's name, turns out her mother was born after she was (?)... Twister's date of birth is listed as, 9/20/2008, her mother's date of birth is listed as, 2/1/2009. Interesting eh?
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Reputable Breeders Near KY   Reputable Breeders Near KY EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 9:58 am

wpskier222 wrote:
Also, RUN DON'T WALK, RUN, RUN, RUN, RUN from Harley's... The first thing I noticed when browsing their sight is that they have a merle colored female, Twister. Here is the statement  from the Siberian Husky Club of American regarding merle colored Siberians. This breeder is about as far from reputable as you could possibly get.

wpskier222 wrote:
One other thing to note is that they act like they test hips, but a) they list the wrong test as the hip test and b) they say a 7 year old dog is too young to hip test, hip testing should be done on any breeding dog at the age of 2, and done every year following.

wpskier222 wrote:
I could go on about this all day, there are so many horrible things about Harley's, but if you go to Twister's page, then click the link that says "spotted by stormchasers," it takes you to her pedigree. If you click on her mother's name, turns out her mother was born after she was (?)... Twister's date of birth is listed as, 9/20/2008, her mother's date of birth is listed as, 2/1/2009. Interesting eh?

Shocked 

Boreayl is in Cincinnati, she's really good.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Reputable Breeders Near KY 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Chewie55
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2014-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Reputable Breeders Near KY   Reputable Breeders Near KY EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 8:50 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
Also, RUN DON'T WALK, RUN, RUN, RUN, RUN from Harley's... The first thing I noticed when browsing their sight is that they have a merle colored female, Twister. Here is the statement  from the Siberian Husky Club of American regarding merle colored Siberians. This breeder is about as far from reputable as you could possibly get.

I definitely will! Many people have mentioned Twister, and how bad Harley's Paws was.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reputable Breeders Near KY   Reputable Breeders Near KY Empty

Back to top Go down

Reputable Breeders Near KY

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1