It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Riley's Scrapbook

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 11:24 am

Hello,

After being inspired by all the amazing scrapbook threads, I decided to give it a go.

Riley was born on June 12th, 2014.  Purchased from a local breeder, who breeds primarily for sledding.  This really appealed to us as we wanted a high energy dog.  Growing up I had a black lab who was a great dog, but she just didn't have the endurance to keep up with our active lifestyles.

This is the first image we have of her.  She had just turned 8 weeks old.

Riley's Scrapbook I-v3TM557-M

She is 10 weeks old today and so far she really has had an amazing impact on our family.  She has become a focal point for all of us.  I feel the humans in our little family have gotten closer as a direct result of caring for Riley.

Anyway, here are some images from week 8 to 10.

Riley's Scrapbook I-MkgkFnm-M

Riley's Scrapbook I-rvTMN5w-M

Riley's Scrapbook I-kWv7jRZ-M

Riley's Scrapbook I-DvzVpNw-M

Thanks for reading.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 11:55 am

She is just so cute - 'specially that fourth one down.

You want high energy? Suspect you got it - I think Ami is probably low energy for a husky and he is full of the ol' scratch bounce Except in the summer, then he's sort of an old, moth eaten rug Laughing  (He's blowing coat as I speak)
Back to top Go down
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 12:38 pm

amymeme wrote:
She is just so cute - 'specially that fourth one down.

You want high energy?  Suspect you got it - I think Ami is probably low energy for a husky and he is full of the ol' scratch bounce Except in the summer, then he's sort of an old, moth eaten rug Laughing  (He's blowing coat as I speak)

Thanks!

So far she has not been that high energy, although she is still very young.  As of now we walk her three times a day, and play in the yard.  

She crashes hard when she is inside.

Here is an example:

Riley's Scrapbook I-wXpp9KW-M
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 5:17 pm

Amy, you can like the fourth on, I like the third where's she's peaking out of the bedding!

Jeff, watch the walks - too much walking at an early age can cause problems with their joints later in life (as can going up and down stairs).   I believe, if I remember right, it's something like five minutes for each month of age per walk.  Play time doesn't count since they can take a time out on their own when they're tired.
Back to top Go down
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 8:44 am

Thanks for the advice.

The walks are very leisurely, and she usually sets the pace. It really is a combination of smelling, then about 50 feet of pouncing, then more smelling. We probably cover about a half mile in total.

Is that too much? it is tough to gauge by time as there is so much down time.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 8:56 am

As long as it's mostly a "play" walk and on grassy areas as opposed to pavement you should be good.

Beautiful pup and awesome pictures! What camera and lens do you use?

Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 9:21 am

simplify wrote:
As long as it's mostly a "play" walk and on grassy areas as opposed to pavement you should be good.

Beautiful pup and awesome pictures! What camera and lens do you use?

Thanks. The last thing I want to be doing is causing problems from the beginning. I should mention that the walks take place in a large park by my house, and the surface is either grass or a gravel path. The only concrete is crossing the street.

For these images, I used a Nikon D810 and 85 1.4 lens. Although I used my iPhone for the first image and the one of her in her cage.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 9:46 am

Then you should be fine. Smile It's more like structured walks that aren't recommended for young pups. If it's mostly just walking around and her playing around it's fine.

Sweet. I'm a Canon gal, but gotta love that 1.4f!

Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 10:55 am

simplify wrote:
Then you should be fine. Smile It's more like structured walks that aren't recommended for young pups. If it's mostly just walking around and her playing around it's fine.

Sweet. I'm a Canon gal, but gotta love that 1.4f!

Phew!

I envy the 1.2's that cannon shooters get to shoot with.
Back to top Go down
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 10:59 am

Some more images.  This time with some humans:

My eldest Lexie

Riley's Scrapbook I-3kmWSdS-M

Riley tolerating Haley's love

Riley's Scrapbook I-v6PZGCk-M

Riley's Scrapbook I-5cncFhR-M
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 11:28 am

There is nothing better in the world than to see a happy kid and her pup!! Nice family Jeff.
Back to top Go down
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 9:38 am

MiyasMomma wrote:
There is nothing better in the world than to see a happy kid and her pup!! Nice family Jeff.

Thanks! Yeah the kids are loving her.
Back to top Go down
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 9:41 am

Some more pics.

Riley's Scrapbook I-XNCPqKW-M

My daughter has what I like to call "dogholdiatus"  She can't stop picking riley up.

Riley's Scrapbook I-rbjBmNC-M

Riley pooped after a long romping session.

Riley's Scrapbook I-D9KR5Dn-M

Her favorite toy.

Riley's Scrapbook I-ZKXzQ5d-M
Back to top Go down
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 10:04 am

One of the benefits of having early morning duty with Riley is that I have seen every sunrise since we got her.

Here is an iPhone pic of one of the nicer ones.

Riley's Scrapbook I-h32Cq7R-M
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 10:36 am

I couldn't complain about seeing that sunrise every morning, nor that cute face. That is a great shot.

Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 10:44 am

Wow, Riley has the sweetest face and such a great mask.

Too bad her colors will change 400 times Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 12:41 pm

TwisterII wrote:
I couldn't complain about seeing that sunrise every morning, nor that cute face. That is a great shot.

Thanks.

This was one of the more epic ones. Most of them are pretty dull.
Back to top Go down
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 12:54 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
Wow, Riley has the sweetest face and such a great mask.

Too bad her colors will change 400 times Smile

That is cool.  We love her anyway she looks.

Short story.  My girls (wife and two daughters) insisted on getting a female dog.  I think in part to outnumber me 4 to 1.  Anyway, the breeder we chose had two females available to adopt.  A black and white and grey.  Based on the images from her website I was thought we would pick the black and white pup 100%.  She was incredibly cute and I always wanted a B&W husky pup.  She was stunning.  

When we went to meet the pups there were the two females and a male pup that was sold, but had not been picked up yet.  The B&W pup and the male were constantly romping around and were always high key.  Riley would come over smell us jump up for about a min of love then lie down and just watch the other two go at it.  She was much more social with the "humans".  She just seemed more mature or submissive (if you can label a dog that way).  From that point we choose her simply on her temperament and forgot about looks.

We did end up spending a over an hour with the different pups to make sure.  

We could not be happier with our choice!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Wow that is an incredible picture, I was in awe, thank you for sharing. Great story on how you picked her.
Back to top Go down
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 3:52 pm

Thanks Renee.

Here is another first for us.  A quick 5 second video....

Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 4:29 pm

They love to swim, she's a natural. Good times!! Loved it and your girls are enjoying the puppy as well, very cool that the whole family is involved in the care, play, and training.
Back to top Go down
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 12:47 pm

MiyasMomma wrote:
They love to swim, she's a natural. Good times!! Loved it and your girls are enjoying the puppy as well, very cool that the whole family is involved in the care, play, and training.

We will be going to my parents lake house this weekend. Should be a blast!
Back to top Go down
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 12:48 pm

OMG!  Best invention ever.

The bully stick.

Riley's Scrapbook I-XNCPqKW-M
Back to top Go down
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 4:20 pm

Riley has been having a bunch of doggy playdates recently.

I tried to get a better picture, but they were always moving.

Notice the size difference between Daisy(the golden) and Riley.  Once Daisy left she was asleep in about 15 seconds.

Riley's Scrapbook I-XQMLf2H-M
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 4:23 pm

OMG, too cute
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Riley's Scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riley's Scrapbook   Riley's Scrapbook Empty

Back to top Go down

Riley's Scrapbook

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next