It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Leo's first garden

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 13, 2015 10:14 pm

Your garden has done so well! Plants I have never seen before.
Bummer on the potatoes, I have thought about trying them.

I have plans going for mine which involves sierra proofing next yr!

Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 3:23 pm

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6010
the garden after we cleaned it up.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6210
i put the strawberry back into the ground.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6211
this is after i put everything into the round, ill take pictures as the plants grow.
i planted chills, tomatoes and squashes, and cucumbers that my mom picked out. Smile
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 11:59 am

So I went to a seminar on raised bed gardening and learned a little something about potatoes and what happens when they turn out really small even though they seemed like they were doing so good. What I was told was that when planting in the ground if you don't have soil that stays loose, mine at my house becomes like concrete once it's been wet and dries out, that potting soil and soil with a mixture of peat and rice hulls or something of the sort that will keep the soil from compacting too much will allow the potatoes to easily move dirt out of their way so that they have growing space. Harder dirt compacts until it can't anymore and the potatoes are then stuck with nowhere to grow. I just remembered you have put a lot of your garden in the ground instead of beds and thought that might be an option on potentially why your sweet potatoes didn't do as you were hoping last season.

I am not yet brave enough to plant too much stuff.

Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 12:31 am

i was wondering if the dirt was too tight, i was also thinking of getting some peaces of wood to make a raised area for planting potatoes but not sure if i can find them small enough to fit in there lol, i might have to make them.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2016 5:35 pm

evil snail got one of the cucumber, (sigh). so we are trying the penny around the plants and see if it works to keep them away.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2016 8:56 pm

Salt or beer will work for snails Ronin ...I'm having problems with them too, they munched big chunks off of my Amaryllis buds
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2016 4:11 pm

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6510
my moms peach roses have nice big flower this year.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6610
the tiger rose also has nice flours this year didn't have very many last year.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6611
i also planted some kale.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6617
the squash seems to be recovering nicely after the snail attack lol.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6614
tomatoes are slowly growing.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6615
and the other squash is going well also though the snails did eat one of the cumber plants.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6616
the strawberries are growing fast, and the pennies are working so far no more eaten plants by the snails.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 12:02 pm

I love that tiger rose. I haven't seen anything like that around here. I have a ton of roses but nothing quite like that.

Your tomatoes are coming along nicely. Mine are about an inch tall now. I planted the seeds a week ago. What's the purple flower next to the squash? Butterfly plant of some kind?

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 1:01 pm

Since you are in a drier area, diatomaceous earth may be a good alternative for keeping snails/slugs away. Put a circle of the dust around your plants - the snails and slugs are soft bodied insects and DE should cut their bodies. Also, little pans of beer...if you can keep Leo out of it, will attract and drown the critters (you could put them down at night after Leo's in for the night and pick them up in the morning before he's out). And last, but not least...right at dusk or after dark, go around with a flashlight and pick the little buggers of your plants - drop them into a pail of soapy water.

Or sluggo - an iron phosphate slug bait that is, supposedly, non-toxic to pets and wildlife.

The roses are beautiful!
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 3:22 pm

TwisterII wrote:
I love that tiger rose. I haven't seen anything like that around here. I have a ton of roses but nothing quite like that.

Your tomatoes are coming along nicely. Mine are about an inch tall now. I planted the seeds a week ago. What's the purple flower next to the squash? Butterfly plant of some kind?

i think its a lavender plant my nephew planted Smile , we had to trim it back a bit, it was getting very bushy.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyMon May 09, 2016 5:46 pm

some flowers that bloomed.
Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6619

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6618

some updated pics of the garden.
Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6624

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6621

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6622

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6625

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6620

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6623

the cactus are do really well i'll post and updated pic, that have lots of fruit this year.
Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6710

one of the lilies in the front yard that mom has.
Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6711
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyTue May 10, 2016 12:35 am

Your garden is coming along great! I need to get my veggies started, I'm so late! I just don't want everything to get eaten by critters like last year so I'm having to come up with some ideas. Roses and your moms lily look awesome!

Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyWed May 11, 2016 7:06 pm

thanks, one of the hibiscus has flowered need to get a picture of lol its almost the same color of first hibiscus.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyThu May 26, 2016 4:19 pm

some updated pics of the garden.
Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6511

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6712

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6713
the garden has stated to bloom but they are growing slow.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_6810
the cherry's actually stayed this time, but only 2 of them.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7010

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7012

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7013
the cactus are fruiting like crazy this year.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7014

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7015

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7016

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7017

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7018

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7019
the sunflower plants have grown very large.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7020

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7023

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7021

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7025

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7022

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7024
we got one strawberry so far  Laughing .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyFri May 27, 2016 3:19 pm

We have one small cactus that fruits every year but never does so very well. My parents have some that do great if the cows don't tromp on them. I recently dug up all the cactus at the bottom of the hill and moved them up to the house in hopes that they will do better. They are all wild prickly pears that had somehow grown where the yard runs off so they get way oversaturated in the spring with water. They are now in giant containers in the front yard and have started to look more normal. Even have some new growth on them. Do you eat the fruit on yours? I have picked the fruit off the ones at my parent's place but haven't gotten around to trying to eat them.

Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyMon May 30, 2016 6:44 pm

we were having a similar issue, with them cause they didn't like the spot they were in cause they didn't have enough sun and well draining soil. i hope they do much better there in the new spot.

yeah, i usually get the job of harvesting the prickly pars. they are usually very sweet and taste very good when they are cold. you can eat the new fronds (not sure if that's what the new growth is called) my mom says to cut them early in the morning before noon or they will be sour. you can cook them by boiling them with some salt and onion and turning them into a salsa with onion and tomato or in a shake my favorite way to eat them. my cousins eat them BBQed too.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2016 3:28 am

some garden flowers, i'll post more up dates on the sunflowers they got very big and super tall.
Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7011

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7010

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7110

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7114

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7112
i cleaned up some of the bamboo so we could see the cool striped canes.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7111

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7113

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7210
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2016 12:16 pm

I have been thinking about getting a Hibiscus for a while now. My mom used to have one. They are just beautiful, but they are house plants here and I'm not sure I have space for anymore. Well, I'm not sure my husband has the patience for anymore. I can always find space.

Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2016 2:01 pm

yeah they turn into house plant during the winter months out this way too, so much frost will kill them lol.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 2:58 pm

some flour pictures.
Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7511
these sun flours are huge, and they have multiple flower as it rises up into the sky.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7510
some of them have brown centers and the other one have yellow centers. the finches like to eat them.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7610
the older hibiscus has its first flower. and the other clover like plant has mini flours.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7710

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7712
and it looks like were are going to have a fig this year  bounce  Cool .

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7711
and we have a few Amaranth plants growing here and there.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7713
my mom's favorite plant the grand duke has its first flowers, it smells almost like a gardenia but it more potent.
not sure that these are called by they have some nice flowers.
Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7717

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7716

we also have are first plums form our small tree.
Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7714

and some small peaches too.
Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7715
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 9:02 pm

Your peaches are doing awesome! Smile those flowers! So beautiful! I love all the colors! I have one of those clover plants! They hate the sun though I found out, lol, or maybe I just didn't water it enough. I like Hibiscus, but here in San Diego they can get white fly really bad, so I don't plant them, yours are all very pretty.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 23, 2016 10:11 pm

wow its been a wail but here are some pictures form august.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7710

we family got some tomatoes growing hahaha.
Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7915

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7911

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7914
and some plums too the were very good.

the cactus has a hole bunch of fruit this year.
Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7910

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7912
we had a good hull of cactus fruit.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_7913
one amazing tasting fig too.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_8011
our orange tree has so many oranges growing.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_8010
and one of the butterfly plants my mom ordered finally flowered its so cool looking.

Leo's first garden - Page 3 Img_8012
we also found this interesting color mantis.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2016 12:16 am

Wow! You do have tomatoes! Mine died like...2 months ago! They just got cooked from the heat.

Fruit looks awesome, I really need to plant some fruit trees.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2016 12:22 pm

Everything looks so lush, Ronin! So - one fig. What a tease - did everyone get a smidgeon or did grower call trump and eat the whole thing?

I've seen cactus fruit in the store but haven't a clue what you do with it.

Nice haul for the year - you're probably able to garden year round, no?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2016 3:12 pm

Nice garden! i wish i had room for fruit trees, our growing season in CO is so short though, well not this yr, i still have cherry tomatoes and my basil still going and some random gords im still waiting to see what they are.
I'm with Amy, what do you do with cactus fruit? i saw cactus lemonade in Santa Fe but did not try it.

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Leo's first garden

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next