It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 37  Next
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

The Desert Pack - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 12:19 pm

Sorry to hear that...maybe you have insight into her serial rehoming. Probably an inappropriate use but maybe an ecollar buzz?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 12:52 pm

As I said, that was just a vent.  It's real obvious that this young lady has never had any training, I'd guess that she's just been a pet.

We've been working on door manners - if a door opens she wants on the other side of it while my older two generally set and wait for a leash.  With both of them I can generally have a door open and they'll set and wait if they want out.   I don't expect that from her yet.  (The "generally" above - while letting Sky out for her morning business Avalanche decided he wanted to run - oops!  At least he comes back after a half hour or so.)

We've also been working on food manners - I have to feed her separately (well, I feed all of them separately) so Avalanche goes out on the porch with his food, Sasha goes in the back room with hers and Sky gets her food with me.  I've done some hand feeding but I don't see any food aggression, it's just a "Oh food! Let's get it!" We're now to the point where she'll set - if I tell her to - and wait till I tell her "Ok, get it" but so far I have to be very aware of her and the food.

I've mentioned the urinating in the house - in detail!  Frustrating and I don't see any improvement and that is *really* frustrating.

She'll go head on with either kitten, no aggression, no chasing but no real interest of any kind, so that's a plus.

Since Shar said that she'd stay with her and she's never been too interested in going off even on the 100' lead I took a chance with her the other evening when I had her and Sasha out for a walk.  Sasha off lead as normal.  Once I released Sky they were both Gone!!  They both came back to the house - separately - within a half hour, but I'm *really* not comfortable with her off lead.

I haven't had a spat between her and Sasha for, I think, over a month.  She and Avalanche play and Sasha has been getting into the play sessions more often.

In general the situation is improving, but I have to make notes from time to time so *I* can see the change.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 2:05 pm

I would not dare let Ami off leash out of the invisible fence. Even though, the first year when he did manage to undo his tether shackle, he did come back home (many probably don't know the story - he went systematically to all the deer remains on the side of the road that he identified from our walks and "brought" them back home to bury...using his stomach as a satchel Rolling Eyes ) I've never tested him, its just a gut feeling. Archer, I know would come back, probably stay within a couple 100 ft but still, I'd worry about getting hit by a car - not much traffic but what there is drives really really fast!

Someone on FB just posted about going to a vet for a dog that piddles all the time, too. I will be following that to see if there is anything pertinent for you.

I used to have to feed Ami and Archer separately under strict supervision (Archer would snarf his down and then push Ami out of his dish) Now, not an issue, I always fill Ami's bowl first and then Archer and Archer waits patiently. However, if Ami leaves his food untouched and I don't remove it, Archer considers it free game lol!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2016 1:27 pm

Progress:
Sky and Sasha are getting along better, still not really comfortable with each other but better.  I'd have to think to remember the last time they had a scuffle.
I feed Sasha in the back room so she has no contest for her food.  The kittens are in the room beyond that (with their door and the back door open so they can get in and out).  I dropped some kibble on the floor when I was feeding her and one of the kittens came over and scarfed it up - Sasha just looked at her - Now that's real progress!  I figured she'd lash out, but she really is not concerned about the cats and they aren't worried about her in the least.
Sky and Avalanche will play in the evening and Sasha is finally starting to get into the act.  Sometimes it's like she's not sure about playing and sometimes she gets right in - of course little Sky is the 'target' of both Avalanche and Sasha - but she gives as well as she takes.

Lack of progress:
Sky is spending more and more time outside on Avalanches lead.  I left her out last night after she pissed in the middle of the living room rug!  I let her in for a while this morning and found another wet spot in the corner.  What really bugs me is that I still cannot tell when she needs out - there's no warning that I can determine!! If there's any one reason that she keeps getting passed around, this would be it.  Medically, according to the vet, she's fine. No problems now.  She comes up clear of heart-worms so that's no longer a problem.
She eats very little, giving her either her food or Avalanches she nibbles but isn't really interested.  Want to get her weighed since I think she's loosing weight - not a lot, but she doesn't have a lot to lose.
frustrated!!

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2016 1:55 pm

Nice update, sorry for the lack of progress on the peeing issue.

When we dealt with this we used the tether method inside the house. Faith was a problem with pottying when we first got her. I had her tethered to me or to something inside the house (usually the sofa in her case) when I needed to do stuff around the house without dragging her around with me. By tethering her she didn't dare do her business unless it was a true emergency otherwise she'd be stuck in her own mess which we all know they don't want any part of...unless Sky is an exception to the rule. ...like how I hear that putting kids in normal undies will help potty train them faster on account of they won't want to be in wet clothes...not my little guy, he's happy to run around in normal undies sopping with urine AND stool. Pediatrician says he sounds like a typical boy. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, good luck with that, hope you see some improvement no matter what you do.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Val, most of the time that she's inside I have her on a short leash (5'+/-) just inside the door. But I try to let her and Avalanche play some in the evening since they all enjoy it. It's then that she normally hits the corner, her pissing in the middle of the rug was new.

When we're outside together and she does her thing I praise her and if I have one treat her - but she just doesn't seem to get the idea ....

For her, the saving grace is that this is her final home (if I last) so she won't be going on to someone else with the problem.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2016 2:39 am

Val..I had trouble getting my last one put of diapers. Finally, in desperation, I kept him naked from the waist down. He was dry over night so i knew he was ready but diapers just kept him to dry. He was standing in a chair at the kitchen table, went pickle and was horrified to find the puddle at his feet. Toilet training accomplished in one hour. After more than 6 months of trying...

And Al... they do make doggie diapers...
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2016 1:25 pm

Al, been meaning to ask you. At the gsd forum I belong to a member has a female that is around Sky's age and she was diagnosed with spay incontinence, can't tell you the symptoms, except for peeing inappropriately, they have medicine to curtail it, don't know what they use specifically, but maybe it is something to ask your vet on, like what are the symptoms????
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Al,
Sierra still pees in the house during the day, not everyday but most days.... she had one spot in the dining room, tile floor so other then the pee traveling in the grout easy clean up. I have put 2 black try liners (think large crate size ones) on the floor in her spot and on most days she pees on the trays and not the floors, other days she somehow pees and it goes UNDER the try and you have no idea she did it till you lift the tray and it is stuck to the floor from the pee!!!!

i hope you can correct her or like we did, tried to at least make clean up easier.

glad to hear other wise it is going better.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2016 6:59 am

Foolish dogs woke me again at 4:00 this morning, this could get old quick.  Better, I guess, to get up when they need out than finding wet spots but that's the middle of my night!

Dogs aren't too sure what to make of these new steps.  Since there's no wood on the riser (the vertical part of the step) they can see beyond the steps and all of them seem to be a little leery.

Sasha went out first and the kittens came out to say "Hi!" - not only do they have no fear of her, they'll literally wrap themselves around her legs.  Avalanche chases them, so when he went out they disappeared.  It's obvious that he doesn't intend them any harm but with his over zealous personality, they don't know that yet.

Speaking of kittens, I went to feed them yesterday and they already had "lunch" - a small mouse.  I don't think it was really lunch, I think it was more of a toy but at least they're doing the job I wanted them for.

If Sky doesn't come in soon, she's going to find herself outside for the rest of the night! I wanna go back to bed!!

Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2016 9:12 pm

The morning wake up calls are the BEST, aren't they!!!! The Desert Pack - Page 2 1625187496

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2016 1:14 am

Artic_Wind wrote:
The morning wake up calls are the BEST, aren't they!!!! The Desert Pack - Page 2 1625187496

Well, honestly NO!!

I've had a herd - well, let's try that again.  One horse, two donkeys, one foal (donkey/mule??) hangiing around the house for the past couple of days.  Like to drive the dogs (and me) bonkers.  I don't know what the dogs problem is, it's not like it's anything new - the donkeys roam the desert around us, just normally not as closely as they have been.

The kittens have no fear of Sasha at all; very little of Sky, they aren't as openly friendly with her as they are with Sasha; they tend to tolerate Avalanche so long as he isn't bouncy around them - then they run, he chases, play time!
I did see something this evening I haven't seen before.  The white kitten is more cautious around the dogs than the black one.  The white kitten was out in the living room - yes, they're getting much bolder - and started to run toward the back, Avalanche started to chase him and Sky tackled him! As much as if to have said "Leave them alone!"

Night time and playing doorman for the pups, I have half the porch painted and every other step - so I can get in and out the front door.  While the dogs were uncomfortable with the plain wood steps, they're completely put off by the odd colours.  Oh well, they'll learn - and it's going to be warm again tomorrow so I'll see if I can get the rest of the first coat on the rest of the porch and steps - then they really won't know where to walk!!

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 16, 2016 4:47 pm

Not so venting this time ...

Follow up with Sky at the vets Wednesday and she's officially heart worm free and gained 4 pounds since her last visit - from that viewpoint, all to the good.

Sky's on a 15' lead, shortened down to about 5' when she's in the house.  She's not happy since she can't play; this is odd to me in that she won't play with Avalanche when they're outside but will tear the house apart when they're loose inside.

Renee (@MiyasMomma), a little belated with the answer to your question - according to both my vets, spay incontinence should result in a pup who 'leaks' all the time.  Sky seems to be able to control it if she wants, just that she doesn't seem to care - hence the 5 foot lead when she's inside.

Jennifer (@jbealer) if there were one place she stopped to piss, I could work with your suggestion - as it is it seems to be a matter of realizing that she needs 'to go' and stopping right then and there and going!

Finished off the porch Yesterday while it was nice (in the high 70's) just need to finish putting the metal edges on the steps since the chain chews up the edge of the wood.  Had to go get some shorter screws since the deck is 1/2" plywood and the shortest screws I had, that would work at all, were 3" screws for the 2 x 6 I used on the steps.

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 18, 2016 12:19 am

Argh!!!! Looks like I'm going to have to get a metal leash for Sky in the house - the lead I've been using for her now has four knots in it where she chews it and the last time there isn't enough between the snap and where I'd have to knot it to tie a knot! I don't know what she's chewing with but the cuts are straight across, they look cut, not chewed!

This young lady is going to drive me to drink!!

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 1:24 pm

Lol, she's a challenge...trying to keep you young! I used a metal (cable) tie out in the house for my last addition when we were potty training. It was the one with the vinyl? sleeve over the cable so it didn't damage my floors/furniture inside during that phase of training. Works well and at least the cable part can withstand chewing. Must be frustrating to still be dealing with this.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 1:57 pm

Last evening I had her on a short leash right beside me. I looked up and Avalanche had started playing with her and she didn't have a lead on her - she'd chewed it off right beside me!!

In between her still pissing in the house and chewing up leads, I'm beginning to realize why she's had 5 + owners in her 5 years!! On the other hand, she's one of the sweetest dog's I've had in a long time.

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2016 8:18 pm

VENT

This little lady is about to get her ass rehomed again!!  Not really, 'cause I wouldn't wish her on anyone but I'm getting REALLY frustrated!

Since having all of them on 6 foot leads doesn't give them room to wander, I'd gotten some new 30 foot leads. Put them all on the new leads and took them all out last evening for a walk - looked funny, all SIX of us; three dogs, two cats, one human - parade!  All of them, well, the three dogs at least did what they needed to do - Avalanche ran dry marking all the bushes. We got back to the house and I unleashed all of the dogs, figured I'd give Avalanche and Sky a chance to play - and Sky trots into the kitchen and piddles!  It's not like we haven't been out for the better part of an hour, it's not like she hasn't also watered half the bushes around.

Put her on a short lead I've made from heavy parachute cord - it's like 1/4" nylon.  And tied her to the door.  

Went to bed ... got woke up about 2:00 with her and Avalanche playing with the kittens ... she'd chewed through the nylon lead!  I got up, went to the kitchen and there's a mess in the kitchen (you know the type mess I'm referring to - poop!)  Now neither Avalanche nor Sasha had made a mess in the house in a long time so I figure it has to have been Sky.  (Both Avalanche and Sasha will try to wake me up if they need to go out at night - don't always succeed but if I don't wake up, they've been good about holding it till later.)

At the moment she's out back on a metal chain.  I'm afraid of it since if she tries to chew it, she might break a tooth.  And I won't leave her outside overnight because, for some reason, the coyotes have been coming way too close to the house.

I wonder if someone down here has a crate I can try; I've never felt the need to crate a dog since I'm most often right there with them but I *have* to do something!!

She's a really sweet dog, comes over to be loved on; goes puppy wild when she gets any attention - but I'm at my wits end!!!

/Vent

ETA:  A friend and neighbor has two GSD's and a crate I can borrow; I have no idea what she'll do but either way, she's going in the crate overnight tonight.

ETA Later:  Well, I'm surprised and impressed!  She apparently knows what a crate is and doesn't mind being in one.  I let her and Avalanche play for a bit and then put everyone out for "night call."  When I brought them back in I took her to the crate, she looked at it and with a very minor nudge, went right in.  Turned off all the lights and went to bed (and wish I had gone to sleep) I've heard her turn around a couple of times and scratch at the floor of the crate - need to put a blanket or something in for her - but otherwise there was no problem.  Means I can get up in the morning and not have to worry about a wet spot in the kitchen.

Is it success if you get the result you want from a means you don't particularly like?

Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Sometimes crating is the only option. Glad she took well to it. Mishka doesn't need to be crated anymore but I still put him in at night because he does NOT settle down and will come wake me up in the middle of the night just because he wants to go outside. Put him in his kennel and he sleeps all night long with no fuss.

Doesn't seem like much is going to stop her from chewing up leads. I have no advice on that, Mishka never chewed his leashes.

amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2016 6:31 pm

Its success when you come to terms with the reality of the situation and choose an option that is best for all concerned!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2016 10:35 pm

As many times as I've suggested crating as a solution to a problem, I've never before felt the need to.  A few minutes ago she went into the crate, on her own, lay down and then got up and came back out so I'm thinking that somewhere in her past she had been crated.  She's oddly comfortable with it - guess I'm going to have to invest in one for her and then return this loaner.

ETA:  I my need to get two crates!  Sasha's climbed into this one and appears comfortable ... I swear, these two silly girls are going to drive me to drink!!!

ETA Later:  Since none of my pups are destructive and two of them seem comfortable in the borrowed solid wall crate, can I get some comments on this crate?

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 24, 2016 4:43 pm

How lucky that she's taken to the crate, I would imagine she'd already been crate trained at some point. But that's awesome for you!

By "solid wall" crate, do you mean like the plastic kennels that are used for airline travel? I use both those and the wire crates. Will say I've never seen one priced that low as the one in the link which makes me a little wary...the "you get what you pay for" side of me makes me nervous about the price. That aside, you won't know until you try. I do know Midwest crates are good. My dogs do wonderful in the wire crate. My sibe actually seems more comfortable in the wire crate due to the increased air flow, visibility and because they don't taper in at the corners which allows for more room to spread out. Some people cover their wire crates for dogs that seem to prefer that...my sibe will shred anything covering his crate!

So happy you've found a workable solution for the nighttime issues! In his older age, my sibe started "going" in the house overnight but I really didn't want to have to crate him so I started using a baby gate to gate him in the laundry room overnight. It worked, he has much more space to get up and move around (or completely sprawl out if he desires) than in a crate but not so much space that he can "get away" from any mess that he might make. For reference, our laundry room is 10' x 7' but cabinets, secondary fridge, utility sink and washer/dryer cut into that space and make his usable space more like 6.5' x 7'.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 24, 2016 4:50 pm

that looks just like the crate i used to use for ami at night. why isn't my cap key working??? Ooops....there it goes Razz The only comment I'd make is to use carabiners on the joints if you think she might try to get out when you don't want her to...
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 25, 2016 2:43 am

Al, that is a great buy! I have one similar and paid more than double, the only difference with mine, it's a heavier gauge metal by the looks of it. It fits Sofie just fine and I know she is bigger than Sky, Sofie 23 inches and 75 pounds, I use the 36 inch for her. Since you're home most of the time I wouldn't worry so much about the gauge wire that this one is. Like Amy suggested carabiners would make it sturdier. I have had mine, it is a Drs Foster Smith brand is doing fine after a little over a year, I have added nothing to mine. Glad there seems to be a solution to your problem, maybe she just needs a cave. Smile
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 25, 2016 2:52 am

Val, I really liked one I found that would have looked really great at the end of my desk.  It wasn't too bad at only $1,895 but it just wouldn't have matched my decor.  Seriously, if my pups were more rambunctious, I'd have opted for something a bit sturdier.

Since, for some reason my table has its own ideas about editing a message here, herewith my ETA:

Renee & Ami, Since both Sky and Sasha seem completely comfortable with the crate - all it takes at night is "bed" and Sky's tucked away nicely - I think I'll pick up two and re-arrange my living room a bit.  I inherited two TV cabinets (from the top: glass storage; tv unit; enclosed shelved storage - about 30"wide x 80" tall) that are positioned along the "short" wall that I use to store miscellaneous computer / book / ??? stuff.  If I move them along the wall so one's in the corner I'll have plenty of room for two crates at the other end. (( this is called thinking on line, yes? ))

The crate I borrowed is 36"x24"x24" - Sky has more room than she needs, but is "nice" about sleeping in the back and then coming to the door; Sasha stretches out when she sleeps and covers most of the 36". I'm debating on going down to 30" crates which would still give Sky plenty of room but might be a bit tight for Sasha ... comments (and obviously at 5 years, I don't have to worry about them growing up, just out!)

If I set them side by side, I'm wondering if I should separate them (divider between the crates) or not - but have to wait a few days for SS check, I gave a friends kids some Christmas and I'm a bit short ... but it was worth it.

The one thing I do like about the is that they're collapsible - meaning that if I really do get to get out next summer, I'll have crates on hand to use in my travels.  Not so much for traveling, per se, but someplace to keep them overnight that isn't the back end of a jeep that they've already spent the day in.

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 25, 2016 5:45 pm

Order placed with Chewy for 2 36" crates and crate pads - for some reason, when I hit the "Promo" part of placing an order, I called chewy -- got myself another $15 off an already good price.  Aaron (who is working Christmas and isn't Jewish as I expected) was a great help.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 37Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 37  Next