It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
NeroHusky
Newborn
Newborn

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 11:47 am

So according to the website, Artemis, INNOVA, Blue Wilderness and GO, are among the best. Do you all agree with this?

Sorry if the question has been asked before, I am new in this Dog Food world. Used to fed my Mini-Dachsund Alpo / Pedigree.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 12:07 pm

NeroHusky wrote:
So according to the website, Artemis, INNOVA, Blue Wilderness and GO, are among the best. Do you all agree with this?

In short, no I don't agree. But that website is only taking into account ingredients and there is more to a good food than just ingredients. There's also manufacturer and company that have to be taken into account. For example, what good is a the best ingredient list if the food is made with the cheapest quality ingredients from questionable sources then produced in a manufacturing plant that is notorious for recalls and bad food?

There are plenty of good foods available out there but do you have them at your disposal? From the list you said earlier that you had available to you I would have to agree with Tori and say that Acana is the best from that list.

My personal opinion for the best dog kibbles? Orijen, Acana, and Fromm Four Star. Orijen and Acana are both made by the same company, Champion Pet foods. All three come in grain free formulas and are manufactured by their own company rather than outsourced to less than reliable manufactures like Diamond, ANI, and Menu Foods.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 5:50 am

Thanks a lot for your info.

It's not that easy to find dog-food here in my country. However I can try to find some quality products, will give you guys update.

I chose RC because my vet and pet shop owner said it's better than ProPlan and Eukanuba.

Can we cook for our Husky?

Raw Eggs, Chicken, beef, fish, pork? Are they good for dogs? How about Potatoes, fruits, or rice?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 10:12 am

Check out the Raw Feeding Thread and do your research. Raw foods are very healthy for dogs, but it is also very easy to not provide the proper nutrition needed for your pup if you don't know what you're doing. It's not a simple process. But if you're interested, there are many people here who can help, but you'll have to do a lot of reading.

Vets are not generally trained in animal nutrition, so most vets that you talk to will recommend lower-quality products like Royal Canine and Science Diet because they get kick backs from the companies. However, these are not good foods. If your pet shop owner is not carrying quality products, it's no surprise he recommended a low-quality one.

Do your research and choose wisely Smile

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
NeroHusky
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 11:20 am

Thanks for your advise Koda. It's appreciated.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 11:22 am

Have you checked online stores for dog food?
I've found sites that I can order dog food from for less than retail which evens out the shipping.
...just a thought...

Puppy
Puppy
myndsplyntur

Female Join date : 2009-11-11

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 3:15 pm

I'm so glad we haven't had the same food issues w/roxy that most people seem to experience... have had roxy on the evo for quite some time with no problems (tho we switched to the weight mgmt formula).
Back to top Go down
NeroHusky
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 1:10 pm

huskyluv,

Here's the update on dog-food available in my country:

Acana, Nutri Source, Pure Vita, Pro Pac, Sport Mix, Pro Series, Meramin.

In addition, before I have seen Eukanuba, ProPlan, and Royal Canin.

I take it Alpo and Pedigree are not good. Am I right?

So that's it, which are the best of those?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 2:07 pm

NeroHusky wrote:
huskyluv,

My advice to you would be to read up on ingredients and analyze the ingredients for yourself. It's good to know what's going into your dog's food and knowing which ingredients to steer clear of and look out for. Formulas change constantly, so it's possible that what is best now, will not be so a year from now.

Out of all those, I would still choose Acana.

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 3:46 pm

Koda wrote:
My advice to you would be to read up on ingredients and analyze the ingredients for yourself. It's good to know what's going into your dog's food and knowing which ingredients to steer clear of and look out for. Formulas change constantly, so it's possible that what is best now, will not be so a year from now.

Ditto.

NeroHusky wrote:

That's correct.

NeroHusky wrote:
huskyluv,

I would still say Acana is the best out of the bunch that you have available. Nutri Source and Pure Vita are made by the same company and are pretty decent. I'd say both come in second to Acana and they also come in grain free formulas which is nice. I've got a sample pack of Pure Vita in my pantry to try (the Duck & Oatmeal formula), and it has a decent ingredient list on it.

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Yeeeaaaars ago, we found that Pro Pac was one of only 2 foods our first husky could eat. We know that she was allergic to soy and probably other things. Once we found this food, we stuck with it or the other one her whole life since any other food we had tried (and it was quite a few!) cause violent diarrhea! She actually thrived and lived for 17 years before we had to put her to sleep. Sad Sad Sad
I know the formula may have changed. I haven't chosen it for the new pup, but I just looked at the ingredients on www.dogfoodadvisor.com and the only ingredient I would not like would be the corn.
Sadly, there's so much food that is probably just "junk". One of my friends said her mom bought a bag of Pedigree for her dog while she was away. My friend said, "It's like McDonald's for dogs...a few servings won't kill him but you can't make that his diet." Laughing
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 10:51 am

I just ordered some of The Honest Kitchen to try out just for kicks. Until it gets here my dogs are eating a raw diet.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 12:22 pm

snrose wrote:
I just ordered some of The Honest Kitchen to try out just for kicks. Until it gets here my dogs are eating a raw diet.

I hope you had a coupon code if you ordered directly from THK. I have coupons to share and could have given you some if you didn't have any.

Adult
Adult
snrose

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 2:55 pm

I ordered it from doggiefood.com. if they like it and it agrees with them I'd love coupons!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 4:21 pm

Oh okay, I order from DoggieFood.com too. The coupons I have are only good at a brick and morter local store or if you order direct from THK's online store. I can't use them on DoggieFood but I still find it cheaper to order from DF without the coupon than direct from THK with the coupon. Pretty sad, huh!

Well, if you ever decide later on that you might like coupons then just PM me your email address and I can email them to you.

Adult
Adult
snrose

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 5:31 pm

sounds good. How much do you feed per weight of thk? I'm curious to see how long 10 lbs will last for my two. nikki is 53lbs marley is 55
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 11:03 pm

The 10 lb box makes 43 lbs of prepared food and if I feed primarily HK then that 10 lb box will last a month for my 3.

My 55 lb sibe eats 1 lb (equal to 1 cup) of THK per day on the days he eats THK. I usually add other things in like a few tablespoons of kibble or canned food or raw or boneless cooked meat to it when I do the 1 cup of THK. Also keep in mind that I also give treats several times a day which means if I eliminated the treats I'd probably have to up his HK portions a little bit.

Since I feed THK 4 times a week and raw 3 times a week, my 10 lb boxes of HK are lasting me about 6 weeks give or take instead of 4 weeks.

Hopefully Claudia will chime in as well.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 11:11 pm

I feed Ginger 3 times a day. I just (as of today) decresed her food to get her to drop some weight, but she was getting 3/8 cup of THK and 1/8 cup or Orijen at each meal. (3/8 cup = 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons...and 1/8 cup = 2 tablespoons). So if you add it up by volume, it's 1/4 cup of food, 3 times a day.

Anyway...with the way I was feeding Ginger as stated above, a 10lb box of THK would last me about 5-6 weeks.

It'll last me a little longer now, since I've decreased her food a little bit, but she's now getting a little more raw chicken.

I still haven't weighed it out, but with Val feeding Dakota about 1-1.25 lbs of food a day, I'm shooting to feed Ginger about 14-16 oz of food a day. She'll probably be begging for food more often, and I'm a sucker for that sweet face, but I have to resist!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 11:12 pm

Oh, and Ginger weighs 59.6 lbs.

Adult
Adult
snrose

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 11:37 pm

thanks for the info guys. right now a 24lb bag of BB wilderness lasts me right about 2 weeks i'd say (they each get 2 cups a day). they seem to maintaining their weight with that. i will probably supplement with raw or kibble like you guys so i'm sure it will stretch it out as well. tonight my two had chicken yum. my THK should be here thursday. great ship time since i ordered it last night! haha
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 11:27 am

Wow. so i've brushed nikki like 20 times already this year. this is the first full year since i've had nikki that i've fed a kibble diet (blue wilderness duck) instead of feeding raw. well let me tell you her shedding has quadrupled! it's amazing and i don't like it one bit! haha i'm hoping THK will help solve this problem somewhat
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 11:45 am

snrose wrote:
this is the first full year since i've had nikki that i've fed a kibble diet (blue wilderness duck) instead of feeding raw. well let me tell you her shedding has quadrupled!

Shocked WOW! I hope this means now that we've switched to THK dehydrated raw and raw that our shedding will go down dramatically. It's been less than a year for us so I'll be paying close attention to see if we notice changes in the amount of shedding...oh I do hope so!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 12:21 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
snrose wrote:
this is the first full year since i've had nikki that i've fed a kibble diet (blue wilderness duck) instead of feeding raw. well let me tell you her shedding has quadrupled!

Shocked WOW! I hope this means now that we've switched to THK dehydrated raw and raw that our shedding will go down dramatically. It's been less than a year for us so I'll be paying close attention to see if we notice changes in the amount of shedding...oh I do hope so!

double Shocked Shocked

We got adopted Ginger on August 4. She was at the very end of shedding out at that time. So we haven't had her for a full year yet.

We've been feed THK now for a couple of months with a little kibble and some raw. Maybe she isn't going to shed as she would have if we were still on 100% Orijen...?

Adult
Adult
snrose

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 4:21 pm

I dunno. I'm sure every dog is different but I surely notice a huge difference in her shedding this year. *sigh* haha
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 11:09 pm

enjoying their first taste of THK. they gulped it down like nobodies business. of course they are not picky at ALL, haha. (you don't have to watch the whole video, not sure why i taped all of it)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19 ... 29  Next