It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 4:26 pm

The suggested servings on the back of the bags are BS in my opinion. If I fed my dogs the suggested they would poop a million times a day and be fat!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 4:44 pm

You know what heather, your right! You always prove me wrong! lol. Maggie only eats 2 of the cups of totw of the 4. I will take it away after an hour and give it back the next day. She is a perfect size but man she is tiny mal! I usually am really active with her urban mushing etc so this article on energry levels and the other one was just a post from a breeder. I know trillion is part husky.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1661&aid=2612

"3 to 5 months is a rapid growth period and pups may gain up to 10 lbs a month. 3 months= 30 lbs, 4 months= 40 lbs. 5 months= 50 lbs. By 6 months the growth generally slows and the amount of food usually needs to be reduced. Each puppy is different, depending on climate and exercise levels, but most of our 6-12 month old pups are put on adult rations and they get a TOTAL of 2 cups to 2 1/2 cups a day of Eagle Power Pack mixed with TOTW dry food. TOTW is slightly lower in calories so you may have to increase the total amount by 1/2 to 1 cup daily. Remember TOTAL daily amount is just that, not the amount you should feed at each meal. Our pups typically do NOT reach their full adult weight until 15-18 months. The Standard size- bitches 23-24 inches at the shoulders 70-75 lbs; males 25 in 80- 85 lbs. Our dogs are standard size and should be maintained in lean condition. Over 90 lbs and you've got a fat Malamute on your hands. "
Back to top Go down
pandactivity
Teenager
Teenager
pandactivity

Female Join date : 2012-06-14

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 7:18 pm

Trillion weighs about 40 pounds i believe.
she is SUPER picky when it comes to treats she cant eat the same for two days in the row she refuses she turns her nose up at it,
she gets zukes, yummy chummies, natural balance tubes cut into pea size pieces (this stuff http://fidodogtreats.com/files/imagecache/product_full/Natural_Balance_Lamb_And_Rice_Roll.png ) she also gets pure bites (liver and chicken) and the farmers market salmon and veggie treats!

we're running out of stuff to treat her with >.<
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 7:46 pm

I would cut it down to a cup and a half honestly. Especially since Wolf King is high in protein and rich. 4 cups is pretty crazy.

Koda use to be picky about food and treats. Now he will eat anything and everything.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Yes, I agree, 40 pound puppy doesn't need to eat 4 cups. I thought there was too much protein in solid gold. I like totw because there is fewer cals. Maggie is very picky with food but treats she will chow down.
Back to top Go down
pandactivity
Teenager
Teenager
pandactivity

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 8:09 pm

I guess i just feel like she needs more because she eats it like... she will never see food again.
._.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Both my dogs eat their food in under 10 seconds, even raw meat. They just love food. I could give them 20lbs of meat to eat and they'd scarf it like they never get fed.
Back to top Go down
pandactivity
Teenager
Teenager
pandactivity

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 8:16 pm

Ah i guess im just used to my picky eaters (other pets)

Ill probably end up cutting down her food.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 4:05 am

Has anyone fed Fromm before? Our pet store just started carrying it, and I got a coupon for buy one bag get a 6lb bag free and I'd like to use it. The dogs are currently on TOTW so I think it compares pretty well but was curious if anyone has had actual experience with it..

http://frommfamily.com/
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 4:18 am

I have friends who feed Fromm and love it and their dogs look great. I'd try it if it had a lamb, bison, or venison version.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 6:12 am

I feed Innova large breed puppy for breakfast and lunch and she gets raw for dinner.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 7:09 am

My aunt feeds Fromm and switched kiara on it when she watched her for 8 months. When I got her back we didn't have the type of Fromm she was feeding her. It is good food.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 9:18 am

Fromm is great. Athough I've never fed it myself, I do recommend it all the time. I like that they are family owned and manufacture their own food.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 9:21 am

I think it depends on the variety. They have both grain free and grain inclusive formulas. But yes they do manufacture their own food.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 10:21 am

We had good luck with Fromm's Four-Star - Game Bird Recipe (Grain Free). In fact, if we continue feeding kibble we will most likely switch back to feeding Fromm.
Back to top Go down
HarlosHealthyPets
Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

Male Join date : 2012-05-01

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 11:08 am

Some of their Four Star products are grain free (depends on the formula).
FYI, they do have a frequent buyer program (buy 12 bags get one free)

arooroomom wrote:
I think it depends on the variety. They have both grain free and grain inclusive formulas. But yes they do manufacture their own food.
Back to top Go down
http://www.harloshealthypets.com
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 2:16 am

Mine gets fed 2 cups twice a day of Nature's Recipe chicken and oatmeal large breed puppy food. Once a week he would half of a can of wet food mixed into his dry food.
Back to top Go down
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 11:58 am

Brewer's menu is all over the place right now as we are transitioning to raw.

Currently Feeding ~ 1 cup of Orijen 6-Fish and 1/2 to 3/4lbs of raw grinds.

The first grind that we introduced was whole free range chicken parts w/ organs and supplement mix.

Supplement Mix: (Wild Artic Salmon Oil, Organic Safflower Oil, Organic Sunflower Oil, Organic Alfalfa Powder, Organic Kelp, Organic Dulse Flakes, Organic Psyllium Husk, Organic Turmeric Powder, Vitamin-Mineral Mix w/ Tuarine).

The second grind and what we are currently feeding is red deer w/ free range chicken bones and no organ meat.

We had been mixing in a bit of Grandma Lucy's Pureformance Lamb, but that didn't exactly agree with Brewer's stomach.

I'd say we will be on a primarily raw diet in 2-3 weeks. Now I just need to confirm these rumors of Minnesota having a large number of butcher shops that provide raw meats geared for dogs.
Back to top Go down
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

Female Join date : 2012-07-01

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Man are Huskies always picky with their foods? The first week I fed her Blue Buffalo she loved it! Now she barely touches her bowl. I have to mix some eggs and meat in her bowl for her to eat it. I just ordered some TOTW Bison flavor. Hopefully she likes that. Any other suggestions for dry dog food just in case TOTW is a fail?
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 4:38 pm

I have to say I've never had any problem with mine being picky about their food. My girl will sometimes regulate her intake, but unless there's a serious problem with the food, they eat what they're given (which happens to be TOTW). Smile

If you're swapping out her food everytime she turns up her nose, you're just going to perpetuate the problem. It's tough I know because we want them happy, healthy and fed well, but sometime tough love is the ticket.

Is everything else normal? BMs, water intake, etc...
Has it been excessively hot where you are?
Any major changes in routine?

My two are fed twice a day and are only given about 10 minutes to eat. If they don't, I pick up their dishes and feed it to them again at the next scheduled meal. They've learned that if they don't eat...they'll have to wait.
Back to top Go down
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

Female Join date : 2012-07-01

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Demon&amp;Dakota wrote:
I have to say I've never had any problem with mine being picky about their food. My girl will sometimes regulate her intake, but unless there's a serious problem with the food, they eat what they're given (which happens to be TOTW). Smile

If you're swapping out her food everytime she turns up her nose, you're just going to perpetuate the problem. It's tough I know because we want them happy, healthy and fed well, but sometime tough love is the ticket.

Is everything else normal? BMs, water intake, etc...
Has it been excessively hot where you are?
Any major changes in routine?

My two are fed twice a day and are only given about 10 minutes to eat. If they don't, I pick up their dishes and feed it to them again at the next scheduled meal. They've learned that if they don't eat...they'll have to wait.

When I first rescued her, the people in our back house had a small white male dog. They moved out last week and they took the dog with them. That is the only change in routine she's had. She still leaves little presents in the yard and she is drinking water. It has been a little bit hotter these past few days than it normally is.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 5:14 pm

Sometimes the heat can cause a lower desire for food. There are times when Dakota will not want to eat and it tends to be when it's hotter. I just pick up her food and then wait until her next meal time and try again. She normally will not skip more than a single meal. If everything else is normal, your pup may just be testing the waters to see how much she can get away with. If you're mixing yummies in with her food, she's winning. She'll learn that if she turns up her nose or doesn't eat, you'll offer her something even better.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 5:23 pm

+1 I'm with Kim. Picky eaters are created. Tough love. Healthy dogs will not willingly starve themselves. She's waiting for something better.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
ashleylou
Teenager
Teenager
ashleylou

Female Join date : 2012-07-03

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 9:21 pm

I feed all 3 of my dogs whiskas cat food or meow mix cat food. They absoulutely love it and there coats are beautiful and shiny and they are all healthy as a horse. Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 9:56 pm

ashleylou wrote:
I feed all 3 of my dogs whiskas cat food or meow mix cat food. They absoulutely love it and there coats are beautiful and shiny and they are all healthy as a horse. Smile

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know, but may I ask why you feed cat food to your dogs?

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 19 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 19 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24 ... 29  Next