It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Bullying at the dog park?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
meg1995
Puppy
Puppy
meg1995

Female Join date : 2016-09-29

Bullying at the dog park? Empty
PostSubject: Bullying at the dog park?   Bullying at the dog park? EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 5:03 pm

i've taken Finley to the dog park since she was little, and she's always had a great time there. It's been her main source of exercise and socialization since I don't have a yard or any other dogs for her to play with. Lately, I've noticed more and more her being somewhat of a bully to other dogs. She had a pretty regular group of playmates that she's fine with, but when a different dog will come up to play who clearly isn't as confident/is very submissive Finley will push them around, tower over them, and nip at them. Even though the other dog will show signs that it isn't having fun and wants her to stop, Finley won't let up. This usually leads to a dog fight, resulting in me feeling terrible, apologizing, and leaving. it's happened multiple times now, and I can usually recognize that shes bothering a certain dog or playing too rough for that dog and pull her away but after she's started its pointless to try and stay because shes fixated on messing with the other dog. Any tips? I would hate to stop taking her but its become pretty stressful and I hate to think that my dog worried other owners. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
HuskyMomma89
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyMomma89

Female Join date : 2018-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Bullying at the dog park?   Bullying at the dog park? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 12:01 am

I could be very wrong but my opinion on the matter is that since you go to the dog park, the same one at that, maybe she sees it as her territory and the "new" dog is intruding. She sees the regular dogs shes played with before as part of her pack but when the newbie comes shes trying to show him or her whos alpha. I'm not sure on how to fix the issue but that's just my guess on the why. I hope you can figure it out. When I went to my local dog park a few years back with my former husky Kimber, there was a group of aussies who would pick on kimber. Once we came a few times they comepletly stopped bugging her. Good luck Very Happy
Back to top Go down
meg1995
Puppy
Puppy
meg1995

PostSubject: Re: Bullying at the dog park?   Bullying at the dog park? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 12:57 am

Yeah, i thought that too but I've taken her to another one a few times where she isnt a regular and the same thing happened. Ugh. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
HuskyMomma89
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyMomma89

Female Join date : 2018-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Bullying at the dog park?   Bullying at the dog park? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 1:05 am

Gotcha. I have no idea then. Sad Maybe its just rough husky play.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Bullying at the dog park?   Bullying at the dog park? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 10:48 am

You may try doggy daycare where there are a few more people to put her in her place every time she starts doing it. If she can't play nice then she can't play at all. I would remove her if she is bullying and make her sit for a while and just wait. It gives the other dog time to become more comfortable so maybe it won't be quite as nervous to attract her attention. Do something else with her while the other dog acclimates and then try letting her play and see how she does. If she goes right back to it then put her in another time out. It will take a while for it to sink in probably that being a bully is no bueno and there's going to be consequences (she's lucky a larger dog hasn't just pounded her into the ground yet. Nervous dogs can be some of the nastiest) Talking to the owners of some of the nervous dogs before she turns them against you might help too. See if they would be willing to walk their dog with yours so they can get to know each other before they try playing. Play puts dogs at a heightened level of excitement which can lead to bad decision making. Bring her down a notch while she gets to know a dog and while that dog gets to know her.

Puppy
Puppy
meg1995

PostSubject: Re: Bullying at the dog park?   Bullying at the dog park? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 6:31 pm

Thanks for the reply! sorry its taken a while to get back, I'll have to try those ideas out. It's so hard at a big park because when she's bullying i have the hardest time catching her and then i look like a fool running around in circles! I'd love to get her into doggy daycare and see how that works out though.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Bullying at the dog park?   Bullying at the dog park? EmptyFri Mar 30, 2018 11:16 am

Would people be upset if you left a long line attached to her while she played that you could step on to catch her so you don't have to chase her as much? I used to do that to one of mine when I first got him so I could bring him in from the yard (have an acre. hard to catch if he doesn't want to be) when he was out playing. His was 12ft.

Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Bullying at the dog park?   Bullying at the dog park? EmptyFri Mar 30, 2018 11:33 am

Recall training. I'd suggest utilizing a device that makes noises so you can really get his attention. A clicker or e-collar. And reward with attention and a treat.
It's difficult with Huskies, but it may be something to really try to work on.
If you can get him to be really good about it outside the dog park, then start using it in the dog park too. Not just when he's in trouble, but randomly and occasionally just to reinforce it.

Then, if you see a situation getting out of hand, you can recall him right away and hopefully avoid the problem.

The other nice part of this is that you are describing the situation as another dog approaching your dog and his pack. Your dog is in a dominant position here. If you recall him, that new dog enters the pack, and your dog returns to that pack, it may downplay the dominance issue a bit too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bullying at the dog park?   Bullying at the dog park? Empty

Back to top Go down

Bullying at the dog park?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1