It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Lachlan had a seizure

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lachlan had a seizure   Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 03, 2019 11:06 pm

I'm not laughing at you @lostmaniac but the stuff I got into when I was a kid and my only problems were (and sometimes are) 'hay fever' (pollen allergy)
Let's see, we'd get thirsty and drink from the cow or horse trough, whichever was closest; grandpa gave us fresh milk - like straight from the cow and warm milk; we'd pull carrots from the garden and wipe the dirt off them and eat them along with raw corn, radishes, peas, beans and whatever else was reasonably ripe that we could get away with. (( er, raw corn is a great laxative - lesson learned! )) and none of us kids (my cousins and I) ever got sick beyond the occasional cold that'd make the rounds at school. We'd go wandering in the woods eating blue berries and blackberries right off the bush; chew on a spearmint leaf ...
If I were growing up today with today's parents, they'd be having conniptions - but shoot for a farm boy in the middle part of the last century, that was just a normal way of life.  and for some reason as a group, we're still pretty healthy.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Lachlan had a seizure   Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 03, 2019 11:14 pm

I grew up on horse farms doing the same thing a bite for me a bite for the horse and all the arena dirt ive eaten along with all that was there that wasnt the arena dirt... im immunocompromised and i havent been seriously sick since elementary school, the exeption being i caught latent tb at the Albuquerque va hospital about 5 years ago
Back to top Go down
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

PostSubject: Re: Lachlan had a seizure   Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 6:00 pm

Update:

Lach went nearly 6 months over the winter with no seizures. We were hopeful that somehow we'd got past them, but this Spring they started again only worse. One day he had 3, morning, noon, and night. Weeks later the clusters started. The first 2 times we got him out of it with one dose of the rectal valium. The other day I was gone and he started clustering. I had recently returned from the beach with him and hadn't unpacked the valium so my wife couldn't find it. Thanks to a miracle of timing, I was able to take her call and direct her to it. She gave the first dose around #3 and a second dose when he went into #5. He stopped after a sixth and she and my son rushed him to the ER where he arrived with a temp of 106. Had she not been able to reach me, she and my son would've likely watched him die. We've got him on Phenobarb now and he seems to be recovering slowly. He acts drunk and the Ataxia makes his hind end wobbly. I realize now I took some big risks trying to avoid the Phenobarb. If I had to do it again I would've started the Phenobarb after the very first cluster. We've never been able to pin down any triggers. [img]Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 20200711[/img][img]Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 20200710[/img]
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Lachlan had a seizure   Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 10:25 pm

Poor pup i hope the pheno works
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Lachlan had a seizure   Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 21, 2020 7:14 am

Bless him! It must be heart breaking for you! I hope he recovers soon!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Lachlan had a seizure   Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 21, 2020 11:32 am

I'm sorry you are having to go through this. Hopefully the pheno will work and you can enjoy life again.

Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

PostSubject: Re: Lachlan had a seizure   Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 03, 2020 3:25 pm

We went 2 1/2 months since starting the Pheno with no seizures, then 2 days ago I come home and Lach comes in from the backyard and I see the foam around his mouth. I could see the area on our lawn where he clearly had a seizure. He's seemed to be recovered and I thought maybe it was just a single mild one, but after a few minutes he went into a 2nd one. I gave him a valium stick and he had a 3rd before they stopped.

He's been on 68 ML 2X a day. I have to schedule with the neurologist to get their advice, but does anyone have experience and could say whether it's time to up the dose to 100 ML a day? I will get the Dr's advice but I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience.

We've been so lucky so far to be around and have the valium at hand when he clusters. Had I come home 30 minutes later who knows.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Lachlan had a seizure   Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 03, 2020 5:07 pm

I’m so sorry to hear this I hope he’s doing okay!! And Im sure @twisterll will be able to help she’s pretty good at medicines!
Back to top Go down
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

PostSubject: Re: Lachlan had a seizure   Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 06, 2022 4:02 pm

Hi Friends,

Happy to report that Lach hasn't had a seizure in 18 months! And the few that he had leading up to this streak were short and relatively minor. I am wondering if we can start thinking about tapering off his pheno. He's always been on 68 ML 2X a day. I recall his neurologist telling me he could taper off and maybe even stop it all together but I can't remember the time line. That doctor moved away and the office is an hour away and I would be starting over with a new doctor there.

I could see people not wanting to advise, but if you have had a dog with seizures and been able to reduce or stop the pheno, I would love to hear your experience. The pheno has never seemed to affect him much other than to stop the seizures so the motivation is mostly about cost (~$20/mo) and hassle, plus I'd always rather not drug my boy if he doesn't need it.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Lachlan had a seizure   Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 06, 2022 7:18 pm

I can't give any recommendations in re drugs but that sure is some good news.

What are the chances you can give your old doctor a call??

Definitely understand about not having a dog on drugs if they aren't really needed.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Lachlan had a seizure   Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2022 10:35 am

Yay! That's great.

I don't know about being able to get off the pheno. In my mind I imagine it would potentially depend on the reason behind the seizures. While not seizures, my boy has EBP which is a kind of lung disease that only responds to prednisone. Since the reaction he has isn't purely allergy induced we won't be able to go completely off the pred but we have been able to taper down to a very low dose and then adjust as environmental factors change. I imagine you should be able to taper some until you find the lowest dose that is effective but depending on what was doing the triggering I wouldn't hold my breath on being able to completely go off.

If you know where the other vet is located I would definitely give him a call, even though everything that vet did should be available to a current vet in his file. Sometimes vets will make notes about such things in the file but that's never a guarantee.

Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2022-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Lachlan had a seizure   Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 29, 2022 10:05 pm

Hi,
My Puzzle has seizures. They started when he was younger after I gave him Simparica Trio.
He is now 5, still on pheno.
It seems that separation anxiety, and moving would trigger them.
So when he is anxious.
Anyway, I give him 34.2mg of pheno. 1.5 twice a day.
When they started him on them, they wanted me to give him 3 every 8 hours. ( he weighs 72lbs.)
It really depends on how your dog is doing as to what level of pheno. Needs to be in their system at all times.
I’m not a Veterinarian or recommend changing your meds.
But Pheno is my personal preference for my Puzzle.
Your Vet. Should be doing blood tests every so often as well.
Back to top Go down
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

PostSubject: Re: Lachlan had a seizure   Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2022 2:43 pm

Hi PDN,
Thanks for sharing your experience. Lachlan is ~72lbs as well and the seizures started right around age 2 which I guess is standard. He will be 6 this April and at that point will have gone 2+ years without a seizure. We have his levels tested every 6 months and they've always been in range. He gets 1 64mg pill twice a day, 9am and 9pm. His seizures would usually happen when he was at rest but not always. We never identified a definite trigger but since he never had one in the winter months (Oct-Mar) I've suspected things like bug and weed spray.

How long has it been since Puzzle had a seizure and do you think he'll always be on the Pheno?
Back to top Go down
BobbyNix
Newborn
Newborn
BobbyNix

PostSubject: Re: Lachlan had a seizure   Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 30, 2023 7:16 pm

Hello all. New to this site. Just put my beloved Sydney down yesterday with cancer. He was a Australian/husky mix. Best friend I ever had. If you don't know yet , there is a test out there, OnkoK9 multi-cancer early detection blood test showing great results. Purebred dogs sould get tested as early as 5, all other dogs by 8. Why my vet never mention is a question I'll be asking him now Sydneys journey is over. Heartbroken beyond belief. But now must focus all my attention on my 4.5 year old husky Tyler who has seizures. Rescued Tyler the day he turned 2 months old. Runt of a 7 pup litter, he was chewed up and malnourished. Owners were told by breeder to let him die. Turned into a big happy knucklehead of a dog, just loveable in every way. Not 1 issue until , at 3 years and 3 months I took him in for his first dental cleaning on a Saturday morning. He came home still doped up and wasn't right all night through all day Sunday. Monday morning, 3 oclock the first seizure struck, lasting about 1 minute. Swimming on his side, foaming at the mouth, urinating etc. 2nd seizure hit at 5 am, followed by a third at 7. Brought him in to the vet at 8 to go over everything, with Tyler being normal by then. No issues, not 1 seizure until his next dental cleaning, 14 months later. Precautions supposedly taken with anti seizure meds, lower anesthesia etc. 7 seizures, followed 6 weeks later by Tylers first non dental seizure. He now has been on Keppra 1250 mg morning and night for 6 months. has seizures about every 5-6 weeks, back to back about 1-2 minutes apart. I am thinking about getting him off Keppra gradually. Any thoughts on this? or past experience with getting off Keppra? Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

PostSubject: Re: Lachlan had a seizure   Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 31, 2023 11:30 am

So sorry to hear about Sydney. I can say our boy Lach had one light seizure episode at the vet under some sedation but I can't say we say a definite pattern. For us it's seemed more seasonal, seizures March to September, no seizures the rest of the year. He's been on Pheno and I don't know anything about Keppra, but Lach is ~26 months with no seizures and I am planning to scale back his pheno starting this fall. Some vets say they should stay on the meds for life and others suggest that can be weaned off.
Back to top Go down
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

PostSubject: Flip cat to the rescue   Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 11, 2024 1:00 pm

Lachlan had another seizure last night while we were watching TV. He was snoozing in the corner when he rose up and started banging around.  Our 15 year old black cat Flip, who has accepted Lach as part of the family but still keeps him at arms length, jumps out of my lap and rushed over to help.  I think he assumed Lach was being attacked by something and was going over to join the fight.  Once he got to him and realized there was no attacker, he stayed by him, sniffing his tail and looking concerned.  As painful as it is, watching these seizures, it was heart warming to see our cat's allegiance!

Just a single seizure this time.  It was fairly long and the recovery was slow.  No pee but lots of slimy mouth foam.  Now when he has them I give him sedatives and alternate Keppra with his Pheno for the following couple days.  

Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 Bow_to10
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Lachlan had a seizure   Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 11, 2024 5:30 pm

Poor Lach. Hopefully he has a good recovery. It's amazing how much animals bond even if they don't always show it. My white male, kye, we always assumes doesn't care about anything but he did notice when my other male, Keno, passes several years ago. Looked around for him and got really clingy for a while like he was afraid that we may have gotten rid of Keno and he didn't want to be next. The most "emotion" we've ever seen from that dog.

PostSubject: Re: Lachlan had a seizure   Lachlan had a seizure - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Lachlan had a seizure

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2