It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky Puppy guidance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LinRuiz1
Newborn
Newborn

Husky Puppy guidance Empty
PostSubject: Husky Puppy guidance   Husky Puppy guidance EmptyFri May 22, 2020 9:13 pm

Hello. I am new to this forum but hoping I can find some help with our new husky pup, Cody. We did our research and certainly don’t mind putting in the time and patience but my 2 month old pup can really get to biting your ankles, feet and arms quite roughly. He even pierced my skin with sinking his teeth into my arm so much. I have read different things and been trying for two weeks but I want to ask people which way seems to be best. One article said to cry and express with a soft cry that it hurts like his litter mates would of done and then he should stop. If he doesn’t stop it said to turn your back and ignore him and if it doesn’t stop then leave the room but this isn’t easy because when you leave the room he goes for your ankles. One article said to say with a stern voice no bit and then place a toy in there mouth. I just want to make sure I do the right method because I am worried he may be aggressive when he gets older. I read that the biting is normal until around 1 year but I just want to make sure I am training my pup to be a good husky with kids and other people.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Husky Puppy guidance   Husky Puppy guidance EmptySat May 23, 2020 12:47 pm

Let me reassure you that Huskies very rarely become vicious, there almost has to be some intent by the owner to make one vicious.  

You should be at the end of his teething, see this link, (there's a chart part way down) so that should not continue to be a cause.  

Some pups are more demanding than others and it becomes a contest of wills to convince them that biting is NOT the way to get your attention.  If you're having no success with the steps you've mentioned so far then I'd suggest a simple "time out"  This requires that you have someplace where you can get to him that he can't leave.  (A play pen for dogs, for example.)  You enter the play area and you stay just as long as he's calm - as soon as he exhibits any behaviour you don't want, you tell him "No!" and leave.  For how long?  Start at a couple of minutes and increase the time by a minute or so each time you leave.  *YOU* are his prized possession (or you should be Smile) and he's going to want to be around you and play with you and it shouldn't take him long to figure out that biting means no play, no attention at all!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Husky Puppy guidance   Husky Puppy guidance EmptySat May 23, 2020 1:43 pm

Huskies dont really bite all that much and i would suspect that most Huskies that have bit people are either mixes or someone went through alot of effort to make them mean. And puppy biting is not really a good indicator of adult behavior.

Something ive done with ankle biters is use my heel to lightly tap them with my heel by stepping a little higher where your heel taps them under the chin. It has to be intentional enough they know your not playing but not to the point you hurt the dog. Ive always used a combo of crate, redirection, and ignoring. Ive used the heel method when my dad bred Tibetan mastiffs on one very specific dog. I consider the heel method a "last resort" even though its really not all that different from Cesar milan poking a dog in the ribs.

Spider was a very bitey puppy. Not ankles, she went for noses. Of my 4 she was the most bitey as a pup but the most likely to run away as an adult. I think shes the least likely to bite of the 4. My german shepherd on the other hand was a "perfect" puppy, and as an adult he has bit 7 people.
Back to top Go down
LinRuiz1
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky Puppy guidance   Husky Puppy guidance EmptySun May 24, 2020 12:38 am

Thank you both for your advice. My husky is half German Shepard but I will certainly look into your methods. He’s good all day and then gets to biting by the end of the day. He does it more to my kids though so trying to show my kids so he calms down with them. As soon as he sees my kids he gets more hyper and biting. I think I purchase the play pen and try that because the ignoring doesn’t work as he just keeps at your back and then comes in on the corners. He does eventually stop with me but my kids can’t hang in as long as it takes for him to stop and then they start run away. I know he thinks they are playing but they’re not.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Husky Puppy guidance   Husky Puppy guidance EmptySun May 24, 2020 1:31 pm

Sounds like an energy issue. Since hes half GSD maybe wear him out with toys before the kids get home. Mine like the chicken slingshot and the nerf sqeaky footballs. Ive also let them chase rc cars. Toys are a good way for the kids to learn how to redirect him. Hes way too young but puppy classes may also be helpful.
Back to top Go down
LinRuiz1
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky Puppy guidance   Husky Puppy guidance EmptyTue May 26, 2020 1:30 am

The race car actually sounds like a great idea. It’s worse at night when it’s been hot all day because he doesnt want to do anything and then when it cools down he’s super hipher. I’ll take a look at those other toys too. Thank you so much.
Back to top Go down
laifran
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky Puppy guidance   Husky Puppy guidance EmptyWed May 27, 2020 8:59 pm

I've had my share of my Sib puppy's play biting. Same as how you described it when we got him at 4 months. First I used the mother's high-pitch squeal (worked some of the time), redirection and time-out only worked for 2 minutes. Then I was so desperate, I used a water gun (worked right away, but he'll come back). Socializing him in the dog park helped him to learn from other dogs that hard biting would cause him to alienate his playmates (I give credit to that, but on the other hand they also learn bad things from other dogs in the dog park!) After his neutering at 8 months, his behavior improved a lot in all aspects. His play biting was softer but still annoying. I then came prepared with some hot sauce on my hand and that helped. Meanwhile I've also taught him "Drop it!" When he was getting to my ankle, I told him "Drop it!" it worked so I was able to move my foot away. .
I do know that serious biting is usually preceded by growling, but I still think that play biting hard after 12 months is not OK, and better stop that to help prevent real biting as an adult.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Husky Puppy guidance   Husky Puppy guidance EmptyWed May 27, 2020 10:41 pm

@laifran growling and or barking is a warning and an intimidation tactic. Usually a barking or growling dog wont bite unless there is some outside circumstance. Its the quiet statue still dog with a glare and stiff tail you should worry about. Its why when you use dogs for guarding you have your noisy watchdog that summons the gaurd dog.

So with puppy biting you have 2 options. You can either teach the pup not to bite or teach them when to bite. Really as an adult you want both but for now one works. I would say with teething your better starting with whats ok to bite.
Back to top Go down
laifran
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky Puppy guidance   Husky Puppy guidance EmptyWed May 27, 2020 11:04 pm

Right, I forgot to mention- I did provide chew toys for his teething. Frozen carrot was a great one because it helped to numb the pain. As for teaching when to bite, I've never wanted a guard dog like a police K9, so I'm staying away from that area. Thanks for the discussion.
Back to top Go down
LinRuiz1
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky Puppy guidance   Husky Puppy guidance EmptySat May 30, 2020 3:54 pm

Thank you everyone for the help. Honestly this is really hard. There are times I can’t take it and I feel bad but put him in the backyard because I loose my patients. I’ll keep trying these methods. I have bought so many toys to try to redirect him. He did like the remote control but have to get another one as it’s broken already. I’ll try the frozen carrot because that does sound like it could feel good for him. Unfortunately dog parks are closed in Cali still. I might concern the hot sauce because the squealing doesn’t seem to always work. Sometimes when playing with toys he will just decide to go for your arm or ankle instead of the toy.
Back to top Go down
violaparkinson
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky Puppy guidance   Husky Puppy guidance EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 2:52 pm

Nice post...I really like it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky Puppy guidance   Husky Puppy guidance Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky Puppy guidance

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1